Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan22

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by laxfan22 »

Cletus wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:32 am
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 am
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am Thanks LaxGuy17
In answer to the rest of your questions about why students transfer, it’s academics, athletics and both. I suspect this year will tip towards athletics with the extra year, but having spoken to several seniors who are impacted by the canceled season, getting another degree and enhancing their futures is a big part of the equation. For some with jobs, asking their future employers to wait needs to be part of the decision as well. In speaking to coaches, they are expecting some type of scholarship relief, but they still have to find the money. It’s not as easy as everybody seems to think. And all of those seniors who gathered together and cried on Thursday and Friday last week and promised each other they are all coming back, have gone home now and are having the discussion with their parents who are not quite as enthusiastic as they expected when the shock wore off. The next few weeks will bring lots of interesting news and some surprises in the portal. Should keep us talking for a bit while we are all bored at home.
What are some of the costs that could make it prohibitive for students (and their parents) to choose to red shirt?
Paying for another year of college is the primary cost. A year less of earning as well.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm I've also heard that a school can take away your scholarship if you ask to enter the transfer portal. I would appreciate it if someone who really knows can shed some light on this. Thanks!
Yes a scholarship can be taken away if you enter the portal. Timing is the key. Spring athletes can't lose current semester but can lose future ones. It is semester by semester. So fall athletes going into portal after Fall season, jeopardize winter/spring. So advice to athletes is be pretty sure what you want to do because you have to inform your Coach and Compliance, and consider timing of doing it.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Ring the dinner bell and announce the feast of the Ivy League 2020 class. The league is making no exceptions for these athletes. If they would like to use their NCAA-granted fifth year, the system in place that mandates they play somewhere else is in full effect (i.e no graduate students are eligible and all requests for an additional term(s) must be academic-based). I am sure the Power 5 coaches are logged into the transfer portal and hitting refresh. Best of luck to those who are willing and able to don another jersey.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:30 pm Ring the dinner bell and announce the feast of the Ivy League 2020 class. The league is making no exceptions for these athletes. If they would like to use their NCAA-granted fifth year, the system in place that mandates they play somewhere else is in full effect (i.e no graduate students are eligible and all requests for an additional term(s) must be academic-based). I am sure the Power 5 coaches are logged into the transfer portal and hitting refresh. Best of luck to those who are willing and able to don another jersey.
Was this announced?
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

With no athletic scholarship money, I have a hard time believing that many (if any) spring Ivy League athletes would take advantage of another year of eligibility, if available. Fall sports are completely different. For those Ivy athletes that currently do an extra year (bc of a medical redshirt) they only have to be full time students for the fall semester. Any spring sport Ivy athletes have to be full time students for the entire 5th year - whether under current medical redshirt rule or any other extra year of eligibility allowance. At $80,000 for room, board and tuition, that is a big nut
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

That being said, if any current spring sport Ivy League student can graduate this year or in the next three years, and then transfer to another school for a graduate year with athletic money - that would make sense.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Delco Transplant wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm With no athletic scholarship money, I have a hard time believing that many (if any) spring Ivy League athletes would take advantage of another year of eligibility, if available. Fall sports are completely different. For those Ivy athletes that currently do an extra year (bc of a medical redshirt) they only have to be full time students for the fall semester. Any spring sport Ivy athletes have to be full time students for the entire 5th year - whether under current medical redshirt rule or any other extra year of eligibility allowance. At $80,000 for room, board and tuition, that is a big nut
The issue for Ivys, in addition to any costs as identified above,is that graduate students are not eligible to play under league rules. Student athletes and coaches were informed this week that at the current time, the league will NOT relax this rule. So any year of eligibility beyond 4 for any student with a COVID-19 waiver MUST be played at a non-Ivy. There are academic exceptions that can be granted, but they are very rare, per registrar and compliance officer.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Delco Transplant wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm With no athletic scholarship money, I have a hard time believing that many (if any) spring Ivy League athletes would take advantage of another year of eligibility, if available. Fall sports are completely different. For those Ivy athletes that currently do an extra year (bc of a medical redshirt) they only have to be full time students for the fall semester. Any spring sport Ivy athletes have to be full time students for the entire 5th year - whether under current medical redshirt rule or any other extra year of eligibility allowance. At $80,000 for room, board and tuition, that is a big nut
I have heard several IVY students are in fact looking to do an extra year. This will almost certainly not happen at their current school due to conference restrictions. The real issue is whether the athletes will get enough money to make it worth their while at another school. Following next Monday's announcement, I believe there will be a surge of transfer portal additions from IVY/Patriot league to at least evaluate what options are available. I would expect a few AA's to be among those in the portal. That said, I do think it is possible the NCAA reverses and rains on everybody's parade now that they have had time to weigh all of the consequences.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 am I do think it is possible the NCAA reverses and rains on everybody's parade now that they have had time to weigh all of the consequences.
Is that just your conjecture or do you have any intel to base that on? Obviously if the NCAA were to reverse course, there would be an uproar. If I were the NCAA and if I were not sure how I was going to decide this issue, I would say nothing until I was darn sure of my decision. I certainly wouldn’t make an announcement only to reverse it a while later.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Are you thinking they will rescind the 5th year option?
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:30 am
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 am I do think it is possible the NCAA reverses and rains on everybody's parade now that they have had time to weigh all of the consequences.
Is that just your conjecture or do you have any intel to base that on? Obviously if the NCAA were to reverse course, there would be an uproar. If I were the NCAA and if I were not sure how I was going to decide this issue, I would say nothing until I was darn sure of my decision. I certainly wouldn’t make an announcement only to reverse it a while later.
A bit of conjecture. Have been talking to other senior parents, players who are talking to coaches already in the portal, and have a student athlete impacted as well. To be clear, I hope and expect the NCAA does something. However, I have heard cautionary rumblings second hand that it is by no means a done deal.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:17 pm
A bit of conjecture. Have been talking to other senior parents, players who are talking to coaches already in the portal, and have a student athlete impacted as well. To be clear, I hope and expect the NCAA does something. However, I have heard cautionary rumblings second hand that it is by no means a done deal.
Well I would hope they would come up with something pretty soon deadline for our school to register for summer classes is in April and now my junior is going to take classes and apply for a second major because of 5th year. I’m sure she’s not the only one making plans assuming 5th year.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm
Well I would hope they would come up with something pretty soon deadline for our school to register for summer classes is in April and now my junior is going to take classes and apply for a second major because of 5th year. I’m sure she’s not the only one making plans assuming 5th year.
Your daughter is certainly not alone. Mine is looking at a 1 year graduate degree program for her 5th year if she decides to play another year, which for most students whether they stay or transfer will be challenging as GMATs are canceled for forseeable future and application deadlines have largely passed. So unless schools step in and make exceptions, it may not even be an option for those kids actually looking to get a degree and not just take classes.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... 25664?s=12

Saw this on Twitter
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

If they go back on the one year extension, it will be a cluster....I also have a junior and I am sure she is counting on at least having the opportunity to take a 5th year. Life is complicated now, but the NCAA cant pull the rug out and just say "my bad". That would be a colossal mistake. :o
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:54 pm If they go back on the one year extension, it will be a cluster....I also have a junior and I am sure she is counting on at least having the opportunity to take a 5th year. Life is complicated now, but the NCAA cant pull the rug out and just say "my bad". That would be a colossal mistake. :o
I couldn't agree more Doctor! I hope the NCAA does the right thing by all classes. I am more worried conferences will be inflexible.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:54 pm If they go back on the one year extension, it will be a cluster....I also have a junior and I am sure she is counting on at least having the opportunity to take a 5th year. Life is complicated now, but the NCAA cant pull the rug out and just say "my bad". That would be a colossal mistake. :o
I couldn't agree more Doctor! I hope the NCAA does the right thing by all classes. I am more worried conferences will be inflexible.
What do you say to the high school kids, in particular class of 2022 kids, who will see the amount of roster spots diminished significantly by giving college sophomores another year? The high school kids also lost an entire year - and now would be missing out at the opportunity to actually play in college altogether as opposed to missing (unfortunately) 2/3'ds of one season? What about the college sophomores and freshman, some of whom might not even play that much - what did they "lose" in terms of playing time? It's not just college kids that have been impacted, and making a decision to benefit only college kids will doubly impact the high school student-athletes.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 pm
What do you say to the high school kids, in particular class of 2022 kids, who will see the amount of roster spots diminished significantly by giving college sophomores another year? The high school kids also lost an entire year - and now would be missing out at the opportunity to actually play in college altogether as opposed to missing (unfortunately) 2/3'ds of one season? What about the college sophomores and freshman, some of whom might not even play that much - what did they "lose" in terms of playing time? It's not just college kids that have been impacted, and making a decision to benefit only college kids will doubly impact the high school student-athletes.
I have a bit of a unique perspective to answer your question as I have both a college senior and a high school 2022. I can only tell you what I told my own 2022..life is not always fair and if you want to play D1 in college, work harder! There is an almost unlimited ability for high school students to continue to play women’s lacrosse in college across all three divisions. I get that money is a factor for some kids, but I honestly believe the number of scholarships per class for 2022 won’t change. As far as number of spots in the 2022 recruiting class it’s like every other year...6 to 11 or 12 spots and will depend on injuries, kids deciding not to play, etc. like it always does. The senior bubble will move on in a year and underclassmen who aren’t playing by senior year won’t stay and take future spots. On the last point about playing time, college lacrosse works a bit differently than high school. In most high schools the odds of playing increase as you progress towards senior year and put in your time. In college and this will sound a bit cold, if you are not on the field freshmen year and playing regularly by Sophomore year, the odds of seeing the field decrease exponentially. Yes there are exceptions to this rule, but as long as Coaches are recruiting their next future stars there will always be competition for spots.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Was the proposal endorsed by just 1 sub committee or by the President of the NCAA as well?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 am
laxfan22 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 pm
I have a bit of a unique perspective to answer your question as I have both a college senior and a high school 2022. I can only tell you what I told my own 2022..life is not always fair and if you want to play D1 in college, work harder! There is an almost unlimited ability for high students to continue to play women’s lacrosse in college across all three divisions. I get that money is a factor for some kids, but I honestly believe the number of scholarships per class for 2022 won’t change. As far as number of spots in the 2022 recruiting class it’s like every other year...6 to 11 or 12 spots and will depend on injuries, kids deciding not to play, etc. like it always does. The senior bubble will move on in a year and underclassmen who aren’t playing by senior year won’t stay and take future spots. On the last point about playing time, college lacrosse works a bit differently than high school. In most high schools the odds of playing increase as you progress towards senior year and put in your time. In college and this will sound a bit cold, if you are not on the field freshmen year and playing regularly by Sophomore year, the odds of seeing the field decrease exponentially. Yes there are exceptions to this rule, but as long as Coaches are recruiting their next future stars there will always be competition for spots.
I agree with LaxGuy. I have a junior in both College and High School. Yes they both lost a year. One of them may get it back, one wont. One thing that will affect High school players is the current 2022 and 2023 class bumping up against the potential of a College Sophomore and Freshman class that may have a 5th year. Depending on how the NCAA and the institutions handle the number of scholarships and the roster sizes, those 2022 and 23's face potential reduced recruiting class sizes. At the worse/best case scenario, the additional year ends with the current College Freshmen (2019 HS Grads) as 5th years in the 2023-24 School year. So, that year will graduate two classes (the current Freshmen and the incoming Freshmen (2020 HS Grads). The 2020 and 2021 classes are for the most part (at least most D1s and high D3s) committed at pre-epidemic (normal) numbers. Again, not knowing how the NCAA or the institutions will set their policies, the 2022's and 2023's may face reduced class sizes as the teams try to get back to "regular" team sizes. This "rightsizing" likely ends and things go back to normal with the 2024 HS class. On the other hand, some schools may just say, lets carry more girls for the 4 years and just recruit like normal. That may happen and I think that is the basis of Laxfan's point. Yes, increased team sizes will limit playing opportunities. But as LaxGuy suggests, that will mostly affect the mid to lower level player on that team. That sucks, but as we are seeing right now, life can be hard. The cream will rise to the top and the top players will not be affected by the additional competition. If, it causes Cindy Loo Blue Chip to fight for a spot against AA 5th years, that only makes her better. It may delay her starting role by a year, but she will be a better player/teammate because of the challenge of fighting for that spot. Look at UNC - their 2nd and 3rd team beats, or at least competes with, most D1 teams. UNC's starters may practice against players that are better than other schools' starters. UNC will still get the top players in their states/regions with the chance to play with and become the best of the best. Just my 2 cents...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”