DARTMOUTH 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: DARTMOUTH 2020

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm Where does D get that one Ivy win this season? Despite the improvement the way the League is shaping up don’t see even on an off day Yale, Penn, Cornell or Princeton suffering that loss. Harvard maybe but don’t think with the new coach that will happen- he’ll have them ready each and every game in his inaugural season...Brown maybe but by the end of the season expect that squad to be excelling with what already is a more than solid defense ...a very good goalie...and an offense that generates 60 shots a game so far that will most likely improve over the course of the season on its % on net and into the net....
I would see it as most likely Harvard or Brown, which would still be an upset. But this is a season in which Merrimack, a team new to division I, has just beaten a Big 10 team, and Cleveland State beat Air Force which had earlier in the season beaten Duke. So I think if any of Yale or Cornell or Princeton or Penn sleeps on Dartmouth and looks past them they could get surprised. Unlikely, but in the realm of the possible. And there were a couple of years during which an Ivy win not only did not happen but really did not feel like it was even a possibility.

With that said, the league is very strong at the top and Dartmouth will still be an underdog in all of its Ivy games.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Razor21 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:17 pm Hopefully the boys are not thinking about the first Ivy win. I hope they are thinking about beating UMass Lowell and getting to 3-0. They can play better than they did in the first two games and I believe they know it. They need to just keep working and do not look ahead on the schedule.
I'm with Razor on this one. Learning to hang tough and win is a process. Conidence and belief can be contagious, and momentum in any given game is always an unknown. Beat Umass Lowell, and a 6-7 win season wouldn't surprise me which might well include taking down an Ivy ( or even 2) :o .
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Everyone Loves an underdog on the rise!
Dartmouth is a big & very physical Squad, w lots of Heart!!
You can see improved Execution & solid game plan prep...

Judging from their last 5 goals, Dart O seems comfortable creating, in transition...
coaches And players look like that are on the same page, and it sure shows so far :D
Dartjd76

Post by Dartjd76 »

Bravo !! Many long time fans of this team have been on the sidelines waiting for some positive signs, not only in wins but in effort, spirit and commitment. We are seeing that now and it feels really good!!
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Nice showing away at UMass Lowell. They beat the Big Green the last two years, and started today up 3-0 in the first five minutes. The next 12 goals were by Dartmouth, who takes it 14-5. Lots of good out there by the Big Green, understanding tougher opponents await. 3-0 to start the season, we'll take it!
Dartjd76

Post by Dartjd76 »

Watched it online. Very strong and physical play, esp. on D. Go Green!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Hats off, Big Green! Nice work.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I missed the early minutes, but by the time I tuned in, we were dominating every aspect of play.

Agreed, physically dominant. Looked like the boys are beginning to feel their oats.

Hincks was outstanding again (71%); I thought he made more saves than 10, but watching online is tough to tell; it may have been that his high arc play made opposing shooters shoot wide rather than him getting a piece. He looked super comfortable, always with great body position.

I'd been worried about this one. Now I'll worry about Vermont.

Any word on Prince?
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I am very happy for all the players and coaches at Dartmouth: and yes also all of us long suffering Alumni. I watched Coach Conner at Bucknell so I knew what the O would look like after a few years of his leadership, but the big surprise to me has been how athletic and physical the D has played. I don’t know if we will be athletic enough to be as aggressive against top tier opponents, UNC and Ivies, but the display of dominance against weaker opponents has been a pleasure to watch. It will be much more difficult to get W’s going forward but with the indoor being built and the progress being made, I think Dartmouth has in fact hit bottom and is on the way back up to be competitive in the IVIes. They may even get an IVY win this year!!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Great Win! And Receiving IL top 20 Poll Votes!!!
Congrats to Coaches, Players, and Supportive Alumnus!!

Subtle signs of sustainable success:
Clears - only 1 TO
Scoring production - new heroes each week, including middies
Defense - Forced 5 Clock Shot Violations
Senior Leadership

Obvious Signs of more optimism:
Physical toughness- Dominating GB battles
Top 20 Goalie
FOGO - winning clamps
calourie

Post by calourie »

One game at a time. Keep up the good work. Tough game against Vermont coming up who would like nothing more than to take the Big Green down a peg or two.
Razor21

Post by Razor21 »

Totally agree calourie. Hoping the team put the last win behind them and focusing 100% on UVM. The scrimmage against them last year was chippy and physical.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ghost wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 pm Great Win! And Receiving IL top 20 Poll Votes!!!
Congrats to Coaches, Players, and Supportive Alumnus!!

Subtle signs of sustainable success:
Clears - only 1 TO
Scoring production - new heroes each week, including middies
Defense - Forced 5 Clock Shot Violations
Senior Leadership

Obvious Signs of more optimism:
Physical toughness- Dominating GB battles
Top 20 Goalie
FOGO - winning clamps
I mentioned in the past that sometimes W/L don’t reflect progress. Dartmouth has been moving forward the past couple of seasons. The players played hard all season when it would have been easy to quit. We will see how the season unfolds but the program has been moving forward. Good luck.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks, great to see a little 'love'.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Frustrating 1 goal loss, 9-8 favor to UVM.

Down 3-0 early, came roaring back to be up 5-3, then ended half at 6-6 as they seemed to take the foot off the pedal a bit.

UVM plays two tenders and second guy was hot early and no goals by Big Green for the 3rd Q.

Hincks had a 62.5% day, again more than 'deserving a win', but it felt like we just weren't playing with urgency throughout the 2nd half, including even down the final 10 minute stretch.

Critique: sloppy clearing and stagnant off-ball movement on offense.
I'm sure they'll look at the film and talk about what was going on in the guys' heads.
Did they just think they could wait for the final stretch yet again?

UVM is a very sound team, but we really could have beaten them.
Razor21

Post by Razor21 »

Agree big D could have had that game. Two teams were very similar. FO advantage went to UVM which was a bit of a surprise. Extra 4-5 possessions were the difference. Offense was more tentative compared to last week. Hoping boys put in solid week of work and take care of business against SJU.
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

Dart- tough one goal loss, but way to go coach Callahan in terms of breathing life into that program.
Coming from a poster on the Ivy thread.
Thank you.

Just maybe it's time to drill back into the LaxPower archives and call out all the jabronis who saw no future for the Dartmouth program under Coach C.
A certain Brunswick poster, a scorned mother of an insubordinate player, and the suspiciously named "Pitbull" come to mind. There were MANY others if the 2016, 2017, and 2018 threads could be sourced. Not sure if the 2020 season will play out as an outstanding reversal, but those who were willing to hang with the process can now bring much more optimism to each week of Dartmouth lacrosse.

GBG
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

check sticks wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:32 am
Dart- tough one goal loss, but way to go coach Callahan in terms of breathing life into that program.
Thank you.

Just maybe it's time to drill back into the LaxPower archives and call out all the jabronis who saw no future for the Dartmouth program under Coach C.
A certain Brunswick poster, a scorned mother of an insubordinate player, and the suspiciously named "Pitbull" come to mind. There were MANY others if the 2016, 2017, and 2018 threads could be sourced. Not sure if the 2020 season will play out as an outstanding reversal, but those who were willing to hang with the process can now bring much more optimism to each week of Dartmouth lacrosse.

GBG
I suspect we'll need to withstand a spate of L's before the season is through, but am hoping for some more moments of joy for the boys. The Ivies are really, really strong right now, so it's going to be tough to get that win or two that will mark the next step.

However, at a minimum, this has already been proof positive that the program is on a positive trajectory.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

check sticks wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:32 am
Thank you.

GBG
I have been positive on them since 2016. That team could have packed it in but they played hard. You could see them taking steps in the right direction. Sometimes improvements don’t show up in initial wins/losses. There is no reason why Dartmouth can’t be good.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”