All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 pm Mounting evidence of small droplet aerosol spreading:
Mounting Evidence Suggests Coronavirus is Airborne—but Health Advice Has Not Caught Up

After months of denying the importance of aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the World Health Organization is reconsidering its stance​
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... caught-up/
Converging lines of evidence indicate that SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, can pass from person to person in tiny droplets called aerosols that waft through the air and accumulate over time. After months of debate about whether people can transmit the virus through exhaled air, there is growing concern among scientists about this transmission route.

This week, Morawska and aerosol scientist Donald Milton at the University of Maryland, College Park, supported by an international group of 237 other clinicians, infectious-disease physicians, epidemiologists, engineers and aerosol scientists, published a commentary in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases that urges the medical community and public-health authorities to acknowledge the potential for airborne transmission. They also call for preventive measures to reduce this type of risk.
Advertisement

The researchers are frustrated that key agencies, such as the World Health Organization (WHO), haven’t been heeding their advice in their public messages.

In response to the commentary, the WHO has softened its position, saying in a press conference on July 7 that it will issue new guidelines about transmission in settings with close contact and poor ventilation. “We have to be open to this evidence and understand its implications regarding the modes of transmission, and also regarding the precautions that need to be taken,” said Benedetta Allegranzi, technical leader of the WHO task force on infection control.

Morawska is “really pleased, relieved, and amazed”, by the WHO’s statement.

For months, the WHO has steadfastly pushed back against the idea that there is a significant threat of the coronavirus being transmitted by aerosols that can accumulate in poorly ventilated venues and be carried on air currents. The agency has maintained that the virus is spread mainly by contaminated surfaces and by droplets bigger than aerosols that are generated by coughing, sneezing and talking. These are thought to travel relatively short distances and drop quickly from the air.

This type of guidance has hampered efforts that could prevent airborne transmission, such as measures that improve ventilation of indoor spaces and limits on indoor gatherings, say the researchers in the commentary: “We are concerned that the lack of recognition of the risk of airborne transmission of COVID-19 and the lack of clear recommendations on the control measures against the airborne virus will have significant consequences: people may think that they are fully protected by adhering to the current recommendations, but in fact, additional airborne interventions are needed for further reduction of infection risk.”

This is particularly important now, as government-mandated lockdowns ease and businesses reopen. “To control [the pandemic], we need to control all the means of infection,” says Morawska, who first contacted the WHO with her concerns and published a summary of the evidence in early April.

But this conclusion is not popular with some experts because it goes against decades of thinking about respiratory infections. Since the 1930s, public-health researchers and officials have generally discounted the importance of aerosols — droplets less than 5 micrometres in diameter — in respiratory diseases such as influenza. Instead, the dominant view is that respiratory viruses are transmitted by the larger droplets or through contact with droplets that fall on surfaces or are transferred by people’s hands. When SARS-CoV-2 emerged at the end of 2019, the assumption was that it spread in the same way as other respiratory viruses and that airborne transmission was not important.

The WHO is following the available evidence, and has moderated its earlier opposition to the idea that the virus might spread through aerosols, according to Allegranzi. She says that although the WHO acknowledges that airborne transmission is plausible, current evidence falls short of proving the case. She adds that recommendations for physical distancing, quarantine and wearing masks in the community are likely go some way towards controlling aerosol transmission if it is occurring.
Thanks
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Florida deaths in the 40’s again. Like clockwork.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:49 pm stanford to cut 11 sports: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... king-point
I call total BS on Stanford. This move has zero to do with money or Covid. It has everything to do with maintaining Stanford's exclusivity and selectivity.

Stanford's per student endowment exceeds Harvard. They have the plenty of cash already, and could easily raise more from alumni if they wanted to keep these sports. These cuts will only save them $8 million a year on an annual budget of $6.5 billion. Peanuts.

While Stanford has unlimited dough, they are extremely scarce on one precious resource -- seats for the best/brightest.

Stanford only enrolls 1700 kids a year and has a 4.5% admit rate. Given how scarce those seats are, it makes no sense to use 240 of them annually (seriously???) to roster up 11 extremely obscure sports (sailing, squash, fencing, etc.). Almost none of which are sponsored by the NCAA or Pac12. And especially since Stanford (unlike many of its academic peers) is competing at the full monty Power 5 level.

Stanford is doing this for one reason. So they can re-allocate scarce seats away from squashers and field hockey-ers and towards future Rhodes Scholars, Google founders and cancer curers. And it doesn't help that these obscure teams are exactly the kind of obscure teams targeted by the Varsity Blues admissions fraudsters.

D1 wlax (sponsored by NCAA and Pac12 and title ix favored) survived the cut. Mlax was never gonna happen at Stanford before this. But now Stanford mlax is never ever ever going to happen.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:49 pm stanford to cut 11 sports: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... king-point
I call total BS on Stanford. This move has zero to do with money or Covid. It has everything to do with maintaining Stanford's exclusivity and selectivity.

Stanford's per student endowment exceeds Harvard. They have the plenty of cash already, and could easily raise more from alumni if they wanted to keep these sports. These cuts will only save them $8 million a year on an annual budget of $6.5 billion. Peanuts.

While Stanford has unlimited dough, they are extremely scarce on one precious resource -- seats for the best/brightest.

Stanford only enrolls 1700 kids a year and has a 4.5% admit rate. Given how scarce those seats are, it makes no sense to use 240 of them annually (seriously???) to roster up 11 extremely obscure sports (sailing, squash, fencing, etc.). Almost none of which are sponsored by the NCAA or Pac12. And especially since Stanford (unlike many of its academic peers) is competing at the full monty Power 5 level.

Stanford is doing this for one reason. So they can re-allocate scarce seats away from squashers and field hockey-ers and towards future Rhodes Scholars, Google founders and cancer curers. And it doesn't help that these obscure teams are exactly the kind of obscure teams targeted by the Varsity Blues admissions fraudsters.

D1 wlax (sponsored by NCAA and Pac12 and title ix favored) survived the cut. Mlax was never gonna happen at Stanford before this. But now Stanford mlax is never ever ever going to happen.
The recent College payola scandal may have something to do with it as well.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:08 am Oh well, like this should surprise anyone.
Yeah, we are really excited here in New Hampshire that the President's corona-laden wagon train of white grievance and race-baiting is coming to town. Giddyup.

59,000+ cases yesterday. Record-setters.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/new-ha ... ing-rally/
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

In WNY, 43% of new cases are with people in their 20’s and 30’s. As people of pretty compliant with mask wearing I can only imagine it could be worse in other regions of the country.

I know of a local couple in their early 30’s that had Covid-19 in April. They recovered, but they said the experience was like having an elephant sitting on your chest. They’re still having side effects of shortness of breath and having trouble concentrating. Who knows what their long term effects will be. We could have a generation of survivors with significant health issues as they age.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 am In WNY, 43% of new cases are with people in their 20’s and 30’s. As people of pretty compliant with mask wearing I can only imagine it could be worse in other regions of the country.

I know of a local couple in their early 30’s that had Covid-19 in April. They recovered, but they said the experience was like having an elephant sitting on your chest. They’re still having side effects of shortness of breath and having trouble concentrating. Who knows what their long term effects will be. We could have a generation of survivors with significant health issues as they age.

If you don't know, why speculate?
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 am In WNY, 43% of new cases are with people in their 20’s and 30’s. As people of pretty compliant with mask wearing I can only imagine it could be worse in other regions of the country.

How can I be certain you are not a woodchuck? Until I know for certain, I cannot respond.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 am

How can I be certain you are not a woodchuck? Until I know for certain, I cannot respond.

Most young children have a “commonsense” understanding of the burden of proof.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Looks like someone from the CDC found their balls in their office drawer. :D

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... fter-trump
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

ROTFLMFAO

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this knucklehead will never be able to post something more stupid than this. He’s posted incredibly stupid things before, and will post incredibly stupid things in the future (unless we get lucky), but this one takes the cake.

If you don’t know, why speculate. Good thing humankind has never taken that advice, else a lot fewer of us would be around, and still living in caves, naked, without even a man-made fire to keep us warm.

Big Mouth, FL.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:40 am

ROTFLMFAO

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this knucklehead will never be able to post something more stupid than this. He’s posted incredibly stupid things before, and will post incredibly stupid things in the future (unless we get lucky), but this one takes the cake.

If you don’t know, why speculate. Good thing humankind has never taken that advice, else a lot fewer of us would be around, and still living in caves, naked, without even a man-made fire to keep us warm.

Big Mouth, FL.

Don't you have a Black Lives Matter mural to crayon in or something?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:31 pm

ROTFLMFAO

Big Mouth, FL.

Doubling down on a middle school sense of "humor" isn't going to help. Your problem is you offer nothing to discuss, ever.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:31 pm

ROTFLMFAO

Big Mouth, FL.
Doubling down on a middle school sense of "humor" isn't going to help. Your problem is you offer nothing to discuss, ever.

And what did you just offer above? Also, aren't you a Russiagate believer? Why would I have a discussion with someone who falls for hoaxes? What's in it for me?
ggait

Post by ggait »

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday.

Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday. By comparison, during the week before the June 20 Trump rally, there were 76 cases on Monday and 96 on Tuesday.

Although the health department’s policy is to not publicly identify individual settings where people may have contracted the virus, Dart said those large gatherings “more than likely” contributed to the spike.

“In the past few days, we’ve seen almost 500 new cases, and we had several large events just over two weeks ago, so I guess we just connect the dots,” Dart said.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 am

Bummer, as it'd be a helluva place to play lax.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

ggait wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:49 pm OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday.

Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday. By comparison, during the week before the June 20 Trump rally, there were 76 cases on Monday and 96 on Tuesday.

Although the health department’s policy is to not publicly identify individual settings where people may have contracted the virus, Dart said those large gatherings “more than likely” contributed to the spike.

“In the past few days, we’ve seen almost 500 new cases, and we had several large events just over two weeks ago, so I guess we just connect the dots,” Dart said.
Hey you're an informed bright guy.

How is it Republicans spread the virus. And Liberals rioting in the streets don't
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:49 pm OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday.

oops...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Hey you're an informed bright guy.

How is it Republicans spread the virus. And Liberals rioting in the streets don't
2% wearing masks inside, 80% wearing them outside.

Now, which ones were the Republicans?

Of course, the 80% is not enough, even outside...but 2% inside???
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”