Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by kramerica.inc »

I agree with both posters above about the defense.
We've done well enough with M2M, especially given the personnel changes. We've got a lot of guys who can play. Which is great.
Keep using the M2M but throw the zone in more to keep the offenses guessing, and see if we can get some shot clock violations on the opponents.

GBS not turning into offensive chances doesn't bother me...yet. I think It's like shots and possession in soccer. If you get more than your opponent you are USUALLY fine. Hopefully it's a matter of time. Get enough, pepper the goalie, hope some drop, and run your offense otherwise to possess. Use Savio to play make it-take it. Let the other team get impatient against our solid defense and goalie and squander their own possessions.

That can put you in good shape most of the time and shoudl work until we figure out who those top middies are.

Play the odds. Keep the games close against the good competition and let the boys grind in those tight games. THey have shown they like to grind it out.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am Out with the old and in with the new. Let's get at Rutgers, boys.

Charambalides is obviously their go-to player on offense; a lefty who plays really well off ball, tends to play quick stick with catch and shoot. He doesn't do much dodging but the rest of the team finds him while he works to get open. All lefty; only rarely even uses his right hand. He's back from injury in a big way. Hopefully Poitras can help our defenders in practice this week.

I can't understand how Rutgers can smoke St. John's then lose so convincingly to Army...it does not compute. And in both games, Rutgers got crushed on FO's. Strange.
Stick with your packed in zone , your man to man is average, just flash it at times to change look. I dont get Rutgers -Army either. Loyola should be in top ten, they will be next week

:lol:

Someone clearly doesn't know our defense. Just keep watching. You will change that sentiment very fast.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

BALTIMORE – Loyola University Maryland's Kyle LeBlanc was named to the National Team of the Week by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) on Tuesday after making his second career start a standout one Saturday in a win over then-No. 11 Johns Hopkins University.

LeBlanc held Blue Jays attacker Cole Williams without a point in the game, limiting the senior to six shots that were all off the mark.

The week prior, Williams led Johns Hopkins with seven points on three goals and four assists in a season-opening win at Towson University. Versus the Greyhounds LeBlanc keep him off the score sheet as only four of Williams' shots were on-goal.

LeBlanc also had career-highs of two caused turnovers and two ground balls in the 10-7 win that helped Loyola move up to No. 11 in the USILA Coaches' Poll and 12th in the Inside Lacrosse media rankings.

The Greyhounds continue their three-game homestand on Saturday, February 22, when they host Rutgers University in a 12 noon game.

Good job by LeBlanc. Pretty impressive for making only his second start. Toomey has a defense that can step up. If, and when, and how, Wyers and Hughes get in or back into the rotation is a good spot to be in for the Hounds defense and team overall. And Railey I believe was nursing an injury all Fall and finally saw action on Saturday. How are you going to play all of those defensive studs?? Situationally?? McNulty had a good game and the effort by Johnson and Middleton on Defense, along with the SSDMs, also aided in the win. I suspect they start game in M2M but not sure who will be covering Charambalides.

Just got to find that chemistry on offense.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Stick with your packed in zone , your man to man is average, just flash it at times to change look. I dont get Rutgers -Army either. Loyola should be in top ten, they will be next week
Actually, we played man-to-man almost exclusively against Hopkins and it worked great. The one time we switched to zone in the 4th quarter, Hopkins scored immediately. I think we will see flashes of zone against Rutgers, just to keep them guessing, unless of course the m2m struggles like it did against UVA.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

NovaHound wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:31 pm BALTIMORE – Loyola University Maryland's Kyle LeBlanc was named to the National Team of the Week by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) on Tuesday after making his second career start a standout one Saturday in a win over then-No. 11 Johns Hopkins University.

LeBlanc held Blue Jays attacker Cole Williams without a point in the game, limiting the senior to six shots that were all off the mark.

The week prior, Williams led Johns Hopkins with seven points on three goals and four assists in a season-opening win at Towson University. Versus the Greyhounds LeBlanc keep him off the score sheet as only four of Williams' shots were on-goal.

LeBlanc also had career-highs of two caused turnovers and two ground balls in the 10-7 win that helped Loyola move up to No. 11 in the USILA Coaches' Poll and 12th in the Inside Lacrosse media rankings.

The Greyhounds continue their three-game homestand on Saturday, February 22, when they host Rutgers University in a 12 noon game.

Good job by LeBlanc. Pretty impressive for making only his second start. Toomey has a defense that can step up. If, and when, and how, Wyers and Hughes get in or back into the rotation is a good spot to be in for the Hounds defense and team overall. And Railey I believe was nursing an injury all Fall and finally saw action on Saturday. How are you going to play all of those defensive studs?? Situationally?? McNulty had a good game and the effort by Johnson and Middleton on Defense, along with the SSDMs, also aided in the win. I suspect they start game in M2M but not sure who will be covering Charambalides.

Just got to find that chemistry on offense.
I agree! I expect we will see Wyers on Charlambedes, now that his 1-game suspension is over
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am Out with the old and in with the new. Let's get at Rutgers, boys.

Charambalides is obviously their go-to player on offense; a lefty who plays really well off ball, tends to play quick stick with catch and shoot. He doesn't do much dodging but the rest of the team finds him while he works to get open. All lefty; only rarely even uses his right hand. He's back from injury in a big way. Hopefully Poitras can help our defenders in practice this week.

I can't understand how Rutgers can smoke St. John's then lose so convincingly to Army...it does not compute. And in both games, Rutgers got crushed on FO's. Strange.

Someone clearly doesn't know our defense. Just keep watching. You will change that sentiment very fast.
PB , I watched the UVA game and seen some others last year, like the players and schemes but zone appears best for you vs certain opponents given the trees, btw prefer your loudish advocacy as well as the general optimism of your fanbase to the constant wallowing of some others, has me rooting for the Hounds when conflict free . Being facetious goes over some heads but also may be prescient on prospects this year. One question on something that still irks, Toomey is certainly a great coach but perplexed how he allowed OKeefe to fire away so freely from so close. Hope you do get a rematch
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:18 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am

PB , I watched the UVA game and seen some others last year, like the players and schemes but zone appears best for you vs certain opponents given the trees, btw prefer your loudish advocacy as well as the general optimism of your fanbase to the constant wallowing of some others, has me rooting for the Hounds when conflict free . Being facetious goes over some heads but also may be prescient on prospects this year. One question on something that still irks, Toomey is certainly a great coach but perplexed how he allowed OKeefe to fire away so freely from so close. Hope you do get a rematch

When you cheer for a small school, sometimes you gotta speak up.

As to the second post, I agree wholeheartedly; still confused as to strategy there. With PSU, you shadow O'Keefe and Ament and make the others beat you. It's what BU did to Pat and the Hounds last year.

What you are missing about our defense this year (compared to last year) is what everyone who doesn't follow this team couldn't know:

1) every single player of note last year is back this year (that gave everyone one more year of seasoning); we lost no one

2) our best defenseman Wyers last year was only a freshman (who's obviously back); he's only gotten better

3) LeBlanc was a soph but saw his first action last year, and has become a D1 caliber defender

4) Hughes did not play at all last year (injury), but theoretically was our best defender (prior to being hurt); in 2018, he was 6 in country for CTO's (as a freshman)

5) Railey and Johnson are now seniors and have that extra ingredient of having seen it all (in my experience, defensemen really come into their own their final year)

This is the best defense in D1...not even close.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland Basketball Coach on Spencer

https://twitter.com/numensbball/status/ ... 87872?s=21
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ANd our LSM corps are the best/deepest in the nation too.
McNulty and Middleton are a great combo.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Yep. Couldn’t agree more with the past several posts. Our Poles are really good and can play multiple positions. Long and rangy and smart. I believe I’ve even seen Johnson play LSM. Might see less of it now that Middleton is coming along nicely.

I don’t have the stats in front of me but I like the play of the SSDMs right now too, particularly Higgins. Guess I better check those stats. I do see hustle for the gbs and that coupled with winning majority of face offs is a good trajectory. Offense just needs to keep on shooting like Kramerica said. More shots than the other team, created by more offensive possessions, can only be goodness.

Let’s see what happens Saturday and Sunday. I predicted 3-2 record after 5 games. Hope I’m wrong.

And PS. Hounds will beat Duke this year.

Keep it up PB. Like your enthusiasm.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

NovaHound wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:34 pm Yep. Couldn’t agree more with the past several posts. Our Poles are really good and can play multiple positions. Long and rangy and smart. I believe I’ve even seen Johnson play LSM. Might see less of it now that Middleton is coming along nicely.

I don’t have the stats in front of me but I like the play of the SSDMs right now too, particularly Higgins. Guess I better check those stats. I do see hustle for the gbs and that coupled with winning majority of face offs is a good trajectory. Offense just needs to keep on shooting like Kramerica said. More shots than the other team, created by more offensive possessions, can only be goodness.

Let’s see what happens Saturday and Sunday. I predicted 3-2 record after 5 games. Hope I’m wrong.

And PS. Hounds will beat Duke this year.

Keep it up PB. Like your enthusiasm.
Beat Duke? Perhaps. Hounds wont have to deal with Brad Smith who gave them fits over the years but mid Montgomery and att Manown return and they split 8 goals between them last year
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

ThatSmell,

No doubt the pendulum has been strong fir LC.

I keep thinking Jay Connor deserves more credit than he receives. If not cut his work I don’t know Cotle does as well as quickly. Thought?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

anyone wanna start talking about scouting against Rutgers again? The only two knowns that i remember clearly are Mullins and Charalambides. Mullins seems to be a QB with Charalambides as the off ball finisher.

What about defense? is Edelmann back again?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:16 pm ANd our LSM corps are the best/deepest in the nation too.
McNulty and Middleton are a great combo.
Hmmmm......more routine over the top pronouncements from the Loyola faithful. Best defense in the land, maybe best Zone D, but who knows. Your poles couldn’t cover Virginia man to man. They got toasted one on one so that seems like a silly pronouncement. None of us know what everyone else has yet so tough to make these predictions. Additionally, Conners and Rock might have something to say about best LSM duo, although Rock didn’t play against Loyola. Conners did and Had a much bigger impact on the their game than Mcnulty. Go look at the ground ball and Caused turnovers stats for our game. There is a reason Conners is 1st team and not Mcnulty. However, no question that Mcnulty is very good
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 am anyone wanna start talking about scouting against Rutgers again? The only two knowns that i remember clearly are Mullins and Charalambides. Mullins seems to be a QB with Charalambides as the off ball finisher.

What about defense? is Edelmann back again?
Edelmann graduated. Position manned by Cleveland St transfer, he's ok . Overriding strength is 3 good attackman with Charambildes being alpha, Mullins possessing an all around game and Gallagher a smaller quick who is a tough cover . Id consider them a top ten attack unit. No idea how Army limited other than goalie was hot.At mid, Sprock , Coyne and Mead are good but not that deep there . .Their defense is considered average, Less graduated but Bullet returns and is a good close defender.. Loyola has a large advantage at fogo with Savio. Loyola should win this game by at least a few assuming Rutgers attack doesn't go off.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

https://scarletknights.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... stats#game

Yeah Houndace, looking at the team statistics might be meaningless because I’m not sure which team will show up. Will it be the Rutgers team which won its first two or the team throttled by Army, which lost to Marist. They’ve played 3 games, Loyola 2 so sample size is a bit smaller for Loyola. Nevertheless, Loyola still needs to find that offensive chemistry and is shooting as a team a miserable .192 while Rutgers is hitting the cage at a .289 clip. About the only advantage Loyola has is number of shots per game at +2. Loyola needs to improve its shooting percentage ASAP, which I believe will improve over the season given the law of averages. Loyola way better winning Face-offs at .591 vice .384 for Rutgers. GBs, CTO’s and TO’s appear about even.

If going by stats I would have to give a small edge to Rutgers. I know this is herasy to Peter Brown and he will chastise me for the errors of my thinking. That’s ok! :lol: I love his Hound exuberance. :D He probably could find a way for the Cincinnati Bengals to defeat the Kansas City Chiefs and convince you of his opinion. :lol: Gotta love it.

At any rate I am hoping the Hounds see this as a game between two equally capable teams and fight with that underdog determination. One way for Hounds to win is to play exceptional defense; create some mayhem, run the transition well, give the goalie some good looks, and hold the Rutgers attack to 8 points or fewer. Offense may need to put 15 points on the board to win this one. Similar point made by Stupified. Key to win is not letting Rutgers attack go off. Gotta think Toomey and Dwan have something in mind.

One story line - the Kamish brothers will be playing against each other. The parents will be winners either way….
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 am https://scarletknights.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf

Yeah Houndace, looking at the team statistics might be meaningless because I’m not sure which team will show up. Will it be the Rutgers team which won its first two or the team throttled by Army, which lost to Marist. They’ve played 3 games, Loyola 2 so sample size is a bit smaller for Loyola. Nevertheless, Loyola still needs to find that offensive chemistry and is shooting as a team a miserable .192 while Rutgers is hitting the cage at a .289 clip. About the only advantage Loyola has is number of shots per game at +2. Loyola needs to improve its shooting percentage ASAP, which I believe will improve over the season given the law of averages. Loyola way better winning Face-offs at .591 vice .384 for Rutgers. GBs, CTO’s and TO’s appear about even.

If going by stats I would have to give a small edge to Rutgers. I know this is herasy to Peter Brown and he will chastise me for the errors of my thinking. That’s ok! :lol: I love his Hound exuberance. :D He probably could find a way for the Cincinnati Bengals to defeat the Kansas City Chiefs and convince you of his opinion. :lol: Gotta love it.

At any rate I am hoping the Hounds see this as a game between two equally capable teams and fight with that underdog determination. One way for Hounds to win is to play exceptional defense; create some mayhem, run the transition well, give the goalie some good looks, and hold the Rutgers attack to 8 points or fewer. Offense may need to put 15 points on the board to win this one. Similar point made by Stupified. Key to win is not letting Rutgers attack go off. Gotta think Toomey and Dwan have something in mind.

One story line - the Kamish brothers will be playing against each other. The parents will be winners either way….

always appreciate your responses to my tiny posts and whatnot!

Regarding your point about Rutgers offense, the little fail safe i have in being confident about Loyola's defense is the fact that Shafer in his two games has made at least 10 stops. The man looks like another Jack Runkel. What's really cool is that though he has a larger frame, its noted by broadcasters that he has quick hands and can explode towards the ball to make a save.

Bailey should have a field day with the Rutgers FO corps and there should be an advantage in GB's provided the Rutgers wings dont chomp at him to dislodge the ball- our wings should be able to take care of that... i hope.

I know i put a lot of optimism in Millhouse because of his footspeed but i think he really needs to step up on wings and collect a gb to help clear. Heck maybe even throw him out there after the defense makes a stop to Clear the ball. The kid has raw talent, there's a reason why he scored goals in the World Games for Puerto Rico.

Defense can get the ball on the carpet and transition will be key since Rutgers can run with it too based on their trends from 2016 and onward. Faceoffs should provide more opportunities for offense, make it-take it opportunities for Bailey. Throw in quick restarts after shots maybe. I just think our 6 v 6 offense just isn't quite there yet.

Offense- if 6 vs 6 is on point regarding ball movement, spacing, with good clean passes to our guys earholes instead of their hips to line up for shots, then i really really hope that shots can drop instead of being feet wide of the net.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 am
NovaHound wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 am https://scarletknights.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf

always appreciate your responses to my tiny posts and whatnot!

Regarding your point about Rutgers offense, the little fail safe i have in being confident about Loyola's defense is the fact that Shafer in his two games has made at least 10 stops. The man looks like another Jack Runkel. What's really cool is that though he has a larger frame, its noted by broadcasters that he has quick hands and can explode towards the ball to make a save.

Bailey should have a field day with the Rutgers FO corps and there should be an advantage in GB's provided the Rutgers wings dont chomp at him to dislodge the ball- our wings should be able to take care of that... i hope.

I know i put a lot of optimism in Millhouse because of his footspeed but i think he really needs to step up on wings and collect a gb to help clear. Heck maybe even throw him out there after the defense makes a stop to Clear the ball. The kid has raw talent, there's a reason why he scored goals in the World Games for Puerto Rico.

Defense can get the ball on the carpet and transition will be key since Rutgers can run with it too based on their trends from 2016 and onward. Faceoffs should provide more opportunities for offense, make it-take it opportunities for Bailey. Throw in quick restarts after shots maybe. I just think our 6 v 6 offense just isn't quite there yet.

Offense- if 6 vs 6 is on point regarding ball movement, spacing, with good clean passes to our guys earholes instead of their hips to line up for shots, then i really really hope that shots can drop instead of being feet wide of the net.
I agree i think Bailey will dominate, not sold on Millhouse, there does not seem to be an aggressive bone in his body. He does not body up or fight for a contested gb. His stick skills are sub par and worry every time he touches the ball because there is a high percentage that it will be a turnover.

Offense, find the chemistry that will allow Olmstead and Lindley to do their thing.

As for D, Wyers, Hughes, Railey, Johnson... we are so deep, we will match up well...

I just fear that after getting beat by Army, they will have the motivation
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

something that i just noticed after i did some research about Loyola commits.

The 2018 class commits (now sophomores on the team) originally had William Clayton, B.J. Ferrare, and Ramsey McCreary to go along with the original 9. I believe the class was ranked #14 that year after these guys de-committed, so Toomey added guys late as replacements and then had Scanlan commit which bolstered the class.

But can you imagine what it could've been like if these guys were still on the team and didn't re-commit elsewhere? All three guys committed when they were freshmen/sophomores in HS, which means one could assume these were guys that Toomey really really wanted.

Clayton (4 star) is now at Denver, Ferrare (5 star) is a beast LSM at UPenn, and McCreary (5 star) is now at Utah after transferring out from Notre Dame.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 pm something that i just noticed after i did some research about Loyola commits.

The 2018 class commits (now sophomores on the team) originally had William Clayton, B.J. Ferrare, and Ramsey McCreary to go along with the original 9. I believe the class was ranked #14 that year after these guys de-committed, so Toomey added guys late as replacements and then had Scanlan commit which bolstered the class.

But can you imagine what it could've been like if these guys were still on the team and didn't re-commit elsewhere? All three guys committed when they were freshmen/sophomores in HS, which means one could assume these were guys that Toomey really really wanted.

Clayton (4 star) is now at Denver, Ferrare (5 star) is a beast LSM at UPenn, and McCreary (5 star) is now at Utah after transferring out from Notre Dame.
clayton isn't on the roster and played in 3 games last year. ferrare would be another pole on a team that is supposedly loaded to the gills with poles. maybe one of your guys doesn't come to loyola. mccreary played in 2 games last year and none yet for utah this year.
hopefully things kick start for the 2 of them, but my sense is the team would be similar. maybe several more guys on the roster.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”