FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Matnum PI »

FWIW, Princeton beat the #2, #3, and #4 teams in these rankings. That's impressive. i.e. they have the Best Wins in D1 Men's Lacrosse. And their three worst losses are to the #14, #6, and #5 teams. Obviously losses are never good but these are not awful losses. In other words, I believe that P'ton is under-rated at #7 (and Rutgers is over-rated at #3). Too much emphasis on team's losses and not enough emphasis on their wins.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ICGrad wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:35 pm Can you recalc it so we can see what it looks like with Marquette snagging that number one? I mean, I think we all agree they're flying under the radar. Only MasonDixon had the balls to say it.
UMD became #2 behind #1 G'town, Marquette was #22 after Villanova, and everyone behind Marquette dropped down one.
Caddy Day
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:24 pm Couldn't get mine in today. Damn work getting in the way.

I know everyone is crushed I missed the deadline.
LOL same here. I would have had Maryland #1 and GTown #2 and than it would have been throwing darts but probably the next four from the IVY
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:10 pm Full disclosure, MasonDixon had Marquette as their #1 team. I assumed it was a mistake and made it Maryland.

UPDATED: 1:07 PM EST
Delaware ? ? ? All 6 teams in CAA were interchangeable and not very good so I can not see picking any one of them in a top 25- Delaware was tied with Fairfield with about 10 minutes to play on Saturday and if they lost they would not have made the CAA tourney. Delaware goalie had a ridiculously great fourth quarter (Seven saves) otherwise they would be out.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jersey shore lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:34 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:24 pm Couldn't get mine in today. Damn work getting in the way.

I know everyone is crushed I missed the deadline.
LOL same here. I would have had Maryland #1 and GTown #2 and than it would have been throwing darts but probably the next four from the IVY
MD, GT, RU...and then the dart board for me, too!
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

jersey shore lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:41 pm Delaware ? ? ?
I have Delaware at #32. They're ranked #27 in terms of their Best Wins (which isn't bad) but their Worst Losses Rank is #42 (which is not good). In terms of Ws and Ls, not Top 25...
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:10 pm Full disclosure, MasonDixon had Marquette as their #1 team. I assumed it was a mistake and made it Maryland.

Nah dude I meant Marquette...
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:45 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:41 pm Delaware ? ? ?
I have Delaware at #32. They're ranked #27 in terms of their Best Wins (which isn't bad) but their Worst Losses Rank is #42 (which is not good). In terms of Ws and Ls, not Top 25...
Delaware was my #25 basically by default. Everyone below them either has no top 30 RPI wins, or some equally bad losses, or losing records, or a combination of the above. Delaware has one top 20 win and two top 30. JHU has more top 30 wins, but 8 losses and a losing record. You can argue for other teams in that spot, but its not unreasonable to have them there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FanLax Forum Polls due on Monday at noon EST.
Caddy Day
GSP

Post by GSP »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:54 pm

Impossible to take you guys seriously! UVA is #4 in Coaches' Poll (who might know a LITTLE something about the subject), #3 in the Media Poll, yet a third of your contributors have them between 11 and 14.
But hey, you guys carry on with your little, self-congratulatory, circle jerk.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

GSP wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:15 am

Impossible to take you guys seriously! UVA is #4 in Coaches' Poll (who might know a LITTLE something about the subject), #3 in the Media Poll, yet a third of your contributors have them between 11 and 14.
You are free to enter your own poll! I'll be curious to see how you incorporate your "my team lost because of injuries" metric across the board!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:28 am

You are free to enter your own poll! I'll be curious to see how you incorporate your "my team lost because of injuries" metric across the board!
I believe you are utilizing a modified version of Matnums methodology of stacking w/l’s so understand how you’re doing it but really do think they should be above Jax and Army, beyond that I’m not too moved by having them at a “lowly” 14.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Rolldodge is still butt hurt over last year when his team backed down in the game against Virginia and he just cannot get over it. His poll is all about his runaway emotions. None of it matters anyway. it's a new tournament and last year means nada. The best teams will shine and everyone else will go home. Too early to know who those teams will be.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

GSP wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:15 am Impossible to take you guys seriously! UVA is #4 in Coaches' Poll (who might know a LITTLE something about the subject), #3 in the Media Poll, yet a third of your contributors have them between 11 and 14.
The consensus Forum Ranking for UVA is #8... which I'd say, if anything, is too high. You're only as good as your wins and losses. Their 3 best wins are against Notre Dame, UNC, and JHU. Not so amazing. Factor in their 3 worst losses against Richmond, Duke, and MD and... This is not a #3 team, #4 team. Using the Media Poll numbers, UVA beat #7, #19, and #NR, they lost to #17, #12, and #1 and based on these Ws and Ls, you agree that they should be... #3? With all due respect, GSP, logically, how does that add up?

Separately, just for another example, Penn's 3 best wins are against Harvard, Cornell, and Duke and their 3 worst losses are to Brown, Yale, and Princeton. Again, based on the Media Poll, that means they beat #8, #12, and #15 and they lost to #5, #6, and #9. Based on these numbers, logically, they should be #8, #9 and... The Media Poll has them at #13. Where's the logic in that? I could do this for most every team on their list. With this forum poll, at least they're logically consistent. And, which I like very much, they're relatively transparent.

Personally, I think your faith in the experts is misplaced. I like the Forum Ranking.
Caddy Day
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

blue angels wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 am

Rolldodge is still butt hurt over last year when his team backed down in the game against Virginia and he just cannot get over it. His poll is all about his runaway emotions. None of it matters anyway. it's a new tournament and last year means nada. The best teams will shine and everyone else will go home. Too early to know who those teams will be.

My butt has healed just fine. I've had Virginia as high as 3 in my polls this year. Top ten teams usually have top 10 wins. Anyway, you are correct about the tournament being a new season.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 am I believe you are utilizing a modified version of Matnums methodology of stacking w/l’s so understand how you’re doing it but really do think they should be above Jax and Army, beyond that I’m not too moved by having them at a “lowly” 14.
It's not my version. It's just being intellectually honest. Rankings need to be based on Ws and Ls. Yes, it's painful to drop a team when you know, for example, Albany would never lose to UMBC if Connor Fields was playing but... You have to respect the Ws and Ls. UMBC won, period. Would I bet against Albany in a UMBC rematch with Fields back on the field? No way. But Albany lost and both Albany and UMBC should be punished and rewarded accordingly. Ws and Ls. Just Ws and Ls.
Caddy Day
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:12 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 am I believe you are utilizing a modified version of Matnums methodology of stacking w/l’s so understand how you’re doing it but really do think they should be above Jax and Army, beyond that I’m not too moved by having them at a “lowly” 14.
It's not my version. It's just being intellectually honest. Rankings need to be based on Ws and Ls. Yes, it's painful to drop a team when you know, for example, Albany would never lose to UMBC if Connor Fields was playing but... You have to respect the Ws and Ls. UMBC won, period. Would I bet against Albany in a UMBC rematch with Fields back on the field? No way. But Albany lost and both Albany and UMBC should be punished and rewarded accordingly. Ws and Ls. Just Ws and Ls.
If you are evaluating the strength of a team, depth and how the next man up is able to fill roles has certainly got to be a part of it.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

rolldodge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:04 am
blue angels wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 am

My butt has healed just fine. I've had Virginia as high as 3 in my polls this year. Top ten teams usually have top 10 wins. Anyway, you are correct about the tournament being a new season.
Don't worry, I'm still butt hurt from 2019 when Cornell got screwed in the selection process, and it will continue to hurt until this Sunday and Cornell is officially in. If not, then it will hurt for even another year.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I understand your model still think for projecting the future there isn’t nearly enough data points for it to be significant but respect the approach.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:43 am
If you are evaluating the strength of a team, depth and how the next man up is able to fill roles has certainly got to be a part of it.
If you are protecting the next hundred games with static rosters then for sure. For a week to week, 15-20 data point exercise I’m not so sure but understand it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”