All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:31 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:47 am
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am
Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair.

Over the years scholars have drawn parallels between Darwinism and Hitlerianism. No surprise that right wing Republicans applaud both.
And that, imo,is idiotic.
Explain ...
Darwinism is the evolution of species due to small changes in inherited characteristics due to natural selection. Where minor changes in genotyes lead to small incremental changes in phenotye that lead to increased reproductive success.

This has nothing to do with the views Hitler and his ilk suscribed to. Their theories were on the lines of social Darwinism which was used to support thir master race bull sczhit.

Darwinism used in the original context of these posts was incorrect, imo.
Pretty sure that was what Brooklyn meant as well...the bastardization of "Darwinism" into some sort of embrace of Aryan racial superiority, 'survival of the fittest', etc...'social Darwinism' as scientifically based and thus justified.

Unfortunately, PB has no clue what he's even saying with "Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair."
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

ggait wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm
We're talking past each other I think, as you're thinking locally---that started to happen here in Colorado....and unwanted pregnancies started to fall off a cliff.
Thanks to Warren Buffet $$$ and Gov. Hickenlooper, Colorado provided free long-acting reversible contraception (i.e. IUDs or implants) to low income women beginning at age 15.

Reduced births by 20% for adolescents between ages 15 to 17 and 18 to 19. Reduced state teen pregnancies by 54%. Reduced teen abortion rates by 64%. Saved $70 million in averted public assistance costs.

Program was opposed by dumb ass pro-life fiscal conservative theocrat Republicans every step of the way.
SO a generation of weed whacking adolescents that can't keep their d*cks in their pants is not the problem. People opposed to the behavior are.

dumb ass pro-life fiscal conservative theocrat Republicans—6 pejorative adjectives

Irresponsible personal behavior—0

Is it any wonder we're where we are at. Enablers such as yourself.

In this school district where I pay 5 figures in property/school taxes (Total 490 million annual school budget)

21,245 students in grades PK, K-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 22% in reading.

22% can count and 22% can read—but 100% can f*k.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair.

Over the years scholars have drawn parallels between Darwinism and Hitlerianism. No surprise that right wing Republicans applaud both.
Explain ...
Darwinism is the evolution of species due to small changes in inherited characteristics due to natural selection. Where minor changes in genotyes lead to small incremental changes in phenotye that lead to increased reproductive success.

This has nothing to do with the views Hitler and his ilk suscribed to. Their theories were on the lines of social Darwinism which was used to support thir master race bull sczhit.

Pretty sure that was what Brooklyn meant as well...the bastardization of "Darwinism" into some sort of embrace of Aryan racial superiority, 'survival of the fittest', etc...'social Darwinism' as scientifically based and thus justified.

Unfortunately, PB has no clue what he's even saying with "Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair."
I don’t know what he meant. I was replying to what he wrote. He made a statement about Darwinism and Hitlerism. Not Social Darwinism and Hitlerism.
ggait

Post by ggait »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:51 pm
We're talking past each other I think, as you're thinking locally---that started to happen here in Colorado....and unwanted pregnancies started to fall off a cliff.
Thanks to Warren Buffet $$$ and Gov. Hickenlooper, Colorado provided free long-acting reversible contraception (i.e. IUDs or implants) to low income women beginning at age 15.

Reduced births by 20% for adolescents between ages 15 to 17 and 18 to 19. Reduced state teen pregnancies by 54%. Reduced teen abortion rates by 64%. Saved $70 million in averted public assistance costs.

Program was opposed by dumb ass pro-life fiscal conservative theocrat Republicans every step of the way.
SO a generation of weed whacking adolescents that can't keep their d*cks in their pants is not the problem. People opposed to the behavior are.

dumb ass pro-life fiscal conservative theocrat Republicans—6 pejorative adjectives

If you are pro-life, why don't you applaud reducing abortions by 64%? While saving money?

That's what I call dumb ass. You have the chance to stop more babies from being killed. But instead you choose to bloviate about your political philosophy.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

you mean Katholics? Isn't Joe Biden a Katholick?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:08 pm
Saw someone opine that the only way now to get the South to buy-in to shelter in place is to have the college football coaches explain that if that action doesn’t happen now, there will no be games this fall.
To a striking extent right now, the virus is hot only in blue counties and cities -- SF, NYC, NOLA being in the vanguard. Red counties much less affected -- so far. And the income of retired folks in those red counties is not as impacted by layoffs. Many of the seniors I know (even though at high risk) are pretty insulated right now. Hunkered down inside, cashing annuity checks and watching FNC.

TBD if the red counties mostly dodge the first wave. Or have enough of a delayed impact that they are better able to handle it. I think you can understand a lot of the current Trump and federal response through that lens. It isn't bad (yet) in Trump country.

Big risk/gamble though. Lots of older vulnerable people in those red counties. And rural health systems are not that robust. If/when the wave hits the red counties, it will hit very hard. And no SEC football games in the fall wouldn't be a good look leading into the election.

If it hits the fan hard enough in Florida to impact voting, Trump is over.

Perhaps in certain congested counties like Broward and Miami Dade, but Florida is more spread out than people realize, and frankly, everything is pretty much shut down right now anyway. If there is a spike, it will go down fairly quickly as you really can't do much here now, so the lag time will be two weeks? I am more worried about low-income areas where the attention to isolation and distancing is not being followed at all. Places that you would ordinarily think are time bombs like The Villages look like a ghost town on television; they take it seriously.

All restaurants are closed, all gyms, most beaches, etc. Only supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, hardware stores...the only activity occurring is construction. Even my local Petco wouldn't allow me in the other day!

Something else to note about Florida. There are many REALLY high end assisted living communities where residents literally have their own respirators inside their own units...no joke.
The Villages looked packed yesterday!

MAGA

This country has gone down the tubes in 4 years. :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Explain ...

I don’t know what he meant. I was replying to what he wrote. He made a statement about Darwinism and Hitlerism. Not Social Darwinism and Hitlerism.
Ok, not debating you at all, just think that's what he was most likely referring to, as lots and lots of anti-science types with issues about evolution have then turned around and adopted this perverted notion of 'social darwinism' to justify racial superiority concepts. It's a strange brew for sure. If I recall the Nazi notions correctly, they were less concerned with pushing back against the evolution aspects if at all, rather they were 'all in' on twisting this theory as justifying brutal social engineering.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:56 pm
Saw someone opine that the only way now to get the South to buy-in to shelter in place is to have the college football coaches explain that if that action doesn’t happen now, there will no be games this fall.
To a striking extent right now, the virus is hot only in blue counties and cities -- SF, NYC, NOLA being in the vanguard. Red counties much less affected -- so far. And the income of retired folks in those red counties is not as impacted by layoffs. Many of the seniors I know (even though at high risk) are pretty insulated right now. Hunkered down inside, cashing annuity checks and watching FNC.

TBD if the red counties mostly dodge the first wave. Or have enough of a delayed impact that they are better able to handle it. I think you can understand a lot of the current Trump and federal response through that lens. It isn't bad (yet) in Trump country.

Big risk/gamble though. Lots of older vulnerable people in those red counties. And rural health systems are not that robust. If/when the wave hits the red counties, it will hit very hard. And no SEC football games in the fall wouldn't be a good look leading into the election.

Perhaps in certain congested counties like Broward and Miami Dade, but Florida is more spread out than people realize, and frankly, everything is pretty much shut down right now anyway. If there is a spike, it will go down fairly quickly as you really can't do much here now, so the lag time will be two weeks? I am more worried about low-income areas where the attention to isolation and distancing is not being followed at all. Places that you would ordinarily think are time bombs like The Villages look like a ghost town on television; they take it seriously.

All restaurants are closed, all gyms, most beaches, etc. Only supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, hardware stores...the only activity occurring is construction. Even my local Petco wouldn't allow me in the other day!

Something else to note about Florida. There are many REALLY high end assisted living communities where residents literally have their own respirators inside their own units...no joke.

MAGA

where is someone gonna be able to go to get away from politics in retirement in x-years?
ex-pat?
how is belize?
Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Explain ...

Ok, not debating you at all, just think that's what he was most likely referring to, as lots and lots of anti-science types with issues about evolution have then turned around and adopted this perverted notion of 'social darwinism' to justify racial superiority concepts. It's a strange brew for sure. If I recall the Nazi notions correctly, they were less concerned with pushing back against the evolution aspects if at all, rather they were 'all in' on twisting this theory as justifying brutal social engineering.
No issues. I get it. Social Darwinism is a real bastardized concept imo
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:17 pm

MAGA

where is someone gonna be able to go to get away from politics in retirement in x-years?
ex-pat?
how is belize?
I was hoping to see some old guys scrap.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 pm

MAGA

ex-pat?
how is belize?
guys? i was hoping and expecting the women to go at it.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 pm

MAGA

ex-pat?
how is belize?
guys? i was hoping and expecting the women to go at it.
You wanted to see a top come down and reveal a pair of udders down around a belly button?
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Gotta say, tech, you've got tip top taste. :lol:
ggait

Post by ggait »

Joe McGinty of The Villages is my hero.

Look him up. Penn State guy from Philly who knows what’s what.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Joe McGinty of The Villages is my hero.

Look him up. Penn State guy from Philly who knows what’s what.
njbill

Post by njbill »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:51 pm

In this school district where I pay 5 figures in property/school taxes (Total 490 million annual school budget)

21,245 students in grades PK, K-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 22% in reading.

22% can count and 22% can read—but 100% can f*k.
6ft, I don't agree with you on much of anything and I doubt I'd agree with much of this if I understood it all, but I have to give you a tip of the hat for a full on flaming post. :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Explain ...

What I meant is I respect people enough to let them make their own choices, for better or worse. Many will choose unwisely...meth, masks, Dr. Pepper, fried okra, being a Democrat, etc. And if they croak early because of their bad choices, that's Darwinism; humanity gets smarter every day because of Darwinism. I'm good with anyone making bad choices; I'm also good with them making good choices. Who am I to tell anyone what to do?

At the end of the day, you only have the mental and emotional bandwidth to make sure your family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues are in good shape. If you think you know what is best for much more than that, you're clinically insane and mightily arrogant.

It's why Democrats who fascistically strie to impose gun control on a bunch of good ol' boy farmers in Georgia is met with such deserved ridicule, and the normals in America applaud from the bleacher seats as they mock the Dems.
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:51 pm SO a generation of weed whacking adolescents that can't keep their d*cks in their pants is not the problem. People opposed to the behavior are.

6foot, in what world is educating adolescents about the dangers of unprotected sex.....and/or without birth control, and then providing said teenagers with free birth control that they use.....enabling irresponsible behavior?

It's doing the exact opposite. It's teaching them about responsible living. Moreover, it stops the abortions that you claim bothers you so much.

I am at a complete loss as to why you wouldn't be jumping for joy for a National program like this.

But Ggait is apparently right----you guys don't want to do this. I don't get it. Not even a little. I have NO CLUE why you think it's better to teach them nothing at all.....

Return to “POLITICS”