Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Recruiting

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm Seems like since she committed to cuse some people have tried to downplay her talent. all of sudden recruiting didnt matter or wasnt important.

Think Belle Smith or Caitlyn Wurzburger type of impact. Still elite.
I recall folks talking about Spallina's overhyped status on these boards before she committed to Syracuse.

No way I consider Smith or Wurzburger elite players. (Among others) Izzy Scane, Erin Coykendall, Meghan Tyrrell, Isabella Peterson--yes, elite. The two players you mentioned are certainly upper echelon--but not elite.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I have no insider knowledge about the reasons why Spallina picked Syracuse, but perhaps one factor, not mentioned in the posts I have seen, is that Syracuse has gotten a good number of commits over the years from her high school, Mount Sinai. I would imagine Spallina has spoken with the older girls who, one would think, spoke highly of the school, the program, and the new head coach.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I heard she wants to play in the Dome, particularly in Feb and March in front of the best fans in all of college wlax (Cuse attendance numbers rank pretty darn high too...I think). Heard she wants to try some Heid's hot dogs too. Why, I don't know, they're awful but people here in the Cuse are nuts about 'em. Common place to see a long line waiting to get in there, I wouldn't go in if there were no line and it was free hot dog day.
https://heidsofliverpool.com/
Can't confirm any of that (I can about the dogs) but that's what I heard.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think it is nuts to try to project how high school sophomores (which is what they were the last time they held a lacrosse stick) will do in college. Players may look very good now, but they may plateau. Or they may not be able to adjust to the higher level of competition. Or other things can happen.

I saw Chloe Humphrey shortly after her sophomore year. Looked like a very good player, but I never would’ve said, at that point, that she was going to be a surefire superstar in college. Two years later, it looks more likely that she will turn out to be such, but there is still a degree of uncertainty that applies to her, or any other high school player.

In the 20+ years I have been watching high school players, I have tried to predict in my own mind (generally not written down anywhere or even discussed with others) how I think a player will do in college. The majority of the time, I am wrong. I think they will be better than they turn out to be. Some of the time I am right. It is very rare a player ends up being better than I thought she would be. Izzy Scane is one example in that category.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:59 pm I think it is nuts to try to project how high school sophomores (which is what they were the last time they held a lacrosse stick) will do in college. Players may look very good now, but they may plateau. Or they may not be able to adjust to the higher level of competition. Or other things can happen.

I saw Chloe Humphrey shortly after her sophomore year. Looked like a very good player, but I never would’ve said, at that point, that she was going to be a surefire superstar in college. Two years later, it looks more likely that she will turn out to be such, but there is still a degree of uncertainty that applies to her, or any other high school player.

In the 20+ years I have been watching high school players, I have tried to predict in my own mind (generally not written down anywhere or even discussed with others) how I think a player will do in college. The majority of the time, I am wrong. I think they will be better than they turn out to be. Some of the time I am right. It is very rare a player ends up being better than I thought she would be. Izzy Scane is one example in that category.
I can think of many kids I saw play high school age that I knew would be good in college and they were . These were generally kids who played very good competition in HS or on the club level. Sometimes the college you attend works to the detriment however .
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

laxguy516 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:58 am AS is legit, bottom line. She has a different skill set then 99% of the players that have come before her. The game has evolved and changed so much over the last 20 years and she is the type of player that is going to transform it again. Her style is not for everyone, but it is successful and I believe will continue to be at the next level. Is she the best player in the country in her class? That depends on your philosophy and preferred style of play. She is not the fastest or quickest, but she can dodge, feed and shoot very effectively. Not many players are a triple threat like she is. Emma Ward is the most current player that I feel resembles AS and her style of play. Cuse has found something with that style of player and will continue to use it in their offense. I hope she has a great college career and there are more players emulating her style 10 - 20 years from now. Why? Because its different......
Lol she’s a good player In hs Half the stuff she does will not work against acc defensive units
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:47 pm
laxguy516 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:58 am AS is legit, bottom line. She has a different skill set then 99% of the players that have come before her. The game has evolved and changed so much over the last 20 years and she is the type of player that is going to transform it again. Her style is not for everyone, but it is successful and I believe will continue to be at the next level. Is she the best player in the country in her class? That depends on your philosophy and preferred style of play. She is not the fastest or quickest, but she can dodge, feed and shoot very effectively. Not many players are a triple threat like she is. Emma Ward is the most current player that I feel resembles AS and her style of play. Cuse has found something with that style of player and will continue to use it in their offense. I hope she has a great college career and there are more players emulating her style 10 - 20 years from now. Why? Because its different......
Lol she’s a good player In hs Half the stuff she does will not work against acc defensive units
Fischer, I have to ask, how do you know? She's only a Jr. in HS and she happens to be coached by her Father, who might be the best ALL-AROUND Coach in the Sport. His son, Joey, stepped onto the Syracuse Field and totally was outstanding as a Frosh. Maybe, just maybe, Alexa will hit the ground running similar to her older brother.

We will see.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

While there's a still a long time before Spallina gets to Syracuse, it is interesting that the ILWomen top recruit hasn't turned out to be a slam dunk superstar in nearly a decade. Maybe my standards are too high, but the last one who hit that bar imo was Megan Whittle back in 2014.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

AS is an elite talent and plays X different she plays very similar to her brother physical dodger who is an elite passer. If all you think she does is get to the 5&5 then you have only watched her highlight reel. If you slide early she will pick you apart. No slide she’ll get to the 5&5 and has a crazy release These are HS juniors they will continue to develop, it is easy to see she has a coach as a dad because her lacrosse IQ is really good. Does she do things now that she won’t be able to in the ACC yes for sure but the fact she can against other top 25’s tells you a lot as well. She dominated LI HS making AA and was a top performer in a few showcases . This is a wonderful class of athletes and players
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:31 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm Seems like since she committed to cuse some people have tried to downplay her talent. all of sudden recruiting didnt matter or wasnt important.

I recall folks talking about Spallina's overhyped status on these boards before she committed to Syracuse.

No way I consider Smith or Wurzburger elite players. (Among others) Izzy Scane, Erin Coykendall, Meghan Tyrrell, Isabella Peterson--yes, elite. The two players you mentioned are certainly upper echelon--but not elite.
In what world is a two time first team all-American not elite? The players you listed are all attackers, so obviously two-way middies like Smith aren’t going to be able to match them from a scoring perspective, but there’s other facets of the game that you’re not accounting for. Belle was literally the only player in the country last season to have 50+ goals, 30+ assists, 30+ ground balls, 25+ draw controls, and 15+ caused turnovers. She has easily been one of, if not the best midfielder in division 1 over the last 3 seasons, so if she’s not elite you might as well say that there are no elite midfielders in lacrosse and only attackers deserve that status.
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

BCLax24 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:09 pm

In what world is a two time first team all-American not elite? The players you listed are all attackers, so obviously two-way middies like Smith aren’t going to be able to match them from a scoring perspective, but there’s other facets of the game that you’re not accounting for. Belle was literally the only player in the country last season to have 50+ goals, 30+ assists, 30+ ground balls, 25+ draw controls, and 15+ caused turnovers. She has easily been one of, if not the best midfielder in division 1 over the last 3 seasons, so if she’s not elite you might as well say that there are no elite midfielders in lacrosse and only attackers deserve that status.
Agreed. Saying Belle Smith isn’t an elite player is INSANE.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:20 pm

Belle Smith is a fantastic player and BC isn’t what it is without her
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Belle Smith is a tremendous all around two way player. It is not always about scoring. She is excellent on the defensive end. When I watched Emma Penzyk play for M&D this summer she reminded a lot of Belle. Excellent all over the field.
fanlaxUN

Post by fanlaxUN »

Very good player. A bit overrated as shown in Natl Chmp.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

realitychecks wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 pm

I was going to respond immediately (and not kindly) to that statement, lol. Thankfully I read on. Belle Smith is elite and any coach would want her on their team. True full field lacrosse player.

As for AS. Dad is working the NIL media hype. He's not a stupid man and good on him. Make hay while the sun shines.Hope she has a happy and healthy time at SU. Fun to go to college with your big brothers.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

realitychecks wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 pm

Totally agree with everything said. Best midfielder in lacrosse heading into this year and a top 10 overall player her last 2 years. Very consistent player and one of my favorite players ever. Only critique I have is for her to show more in big games. I wish her the best for her senior season.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

In my opinion being a 1st team All ACC and All American midfielder every year including freshman year in the age of 5th year Covid players makes you elite. The depth of talent in D1 due to Covid has never been stronger the past 3 years.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

How is BC doing in the recruiting race this year. Hear a lot about UNC and Cuse but nothing about BC and little about Northwestern. UNC incredibly well positioned talent wise moving forward.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

jff97 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:37 pm While there's a still a long time before Spallina gets to Syracuse, it is interesting that the ILWomen top recruit hasn't turned out to be a slam dunk superstar in nearly a decade. Maybe my standards are too high, but the last one who hit that bar imo was Megan Whittle back in 2014.
Actually in the past 7-8 years the number 2 recruit has turned out to be a more impactful player than 1. imo
But again, sometimes that has to do more with the coach/team you play for than ability.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

by user1020 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:03 am

realitychecks wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 pm
lacrosselaxin20 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:20 pm
BCLax24 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:09 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:31 pm
Kleizaster wrote: ↑Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm
Seems like since she committed to cuse some people have tried to downplay her talent. all of sudden recruiting didnt matter or wasnt important.

Totally agree with everything said. Best midfielder in lacrosse heading into this year and a top 10 overall player her last 2 years. Very consistent player and one of my favorite players ever. Only critique I have is for her to show more in big games. I wish her the best for her senior season.
Bell Smith reminds me a lot of Marie McCool. Their energy and effort as a two-way player is fun to watch.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”