Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2020

Post by youthathletics »

Brad is one helluva young man. Congratulations!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FactChecker

Post by FactChecker »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:14 pm Isn’t Higgins the 6’2 260 lb senior football player expected to start at attack who scored 71? goals his senior year of HS? If so was he taking advantage of physical maturity and size or is he that skilled ?
Let the viewer decide:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

article on Higgins in today’s Capital in annapolis. Sort I can’t post the link.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 am article on Higgins in today’s Capital in annapolis. Sort I can’t post the link.
Thanks OCanada. Here is link: https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Great story. Seems like and even better young man. It will be easy to root for his success. I wonder if Sowell knew about this guy and tried to get him to play before.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:45 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 am article on Higgins in today’s Capital in annapolis. Sort I can’t post the link.
Thanks OCanada. Here is link: https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
I bet we first see him entering in spot situations via MF2 & inverting. Wonder if he'll be ready in time for Manhattan. :

Amplo already has some ideas of ways he could use Higgins if the former football player continues to improve as a lacrosse player.
“If we can get his skills developed to the point he can be trusted with the ball in his stick, I think Ford would be a terrific invert middie,” Amplo said. “From a matchup perspective, you put him behind the goal against a short stick and he’s going to get to goal-line extended.”

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2020/ ... midshipmen
old salt

Post by old salt »

Bravo 3 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm Ricky has landed at Gilman , just what that offense needed :D
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 0347377666
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Great feature story in Cap Gazette. Thank you, Bill Wagner. Hearty congratulations to Ford Higgins for joining the lacrosse team. It will be easy to root for him, and no doubt he'll have a positive impact on the rest of the team. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing lacrosse experience the same turnaround this season that football saw this past season? Especially destroying Army!

It is remarkable what a difference a year has made. Coach Amplo is making a mark off the the field and setting a very positive tone. The rest of the coaching staff has made a difference too. Everyone is pulling on the same oar and looking forward to the coming season. So much positive energy and promise for a strong start of a new era. Expectations are low right now so there's bound to be a positive surprise.

Congrats to Brad Alexander for the honor of wearing 40. Youth is right - he is one helluva young man.

Good luck in Chapel Hill this weekend.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
old salt

Post by old salt »

laxpere wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:46 pm Congrats to Brad Alexander for the honor of wearing 40. Youth is right - he is one helluva young man.
He first caught my eye in a scrimmage plebe year (can't recall if it was fallball or preseason).
He was an O-middie then. He stood out. I recall thinking "that guy's really got a motor".
Ironic that he's now wearing #40. I recall thinking then that he reminded me of the Looney brother who wore #8.
He got a couple runs on MF2 as a plebe, then he stepped into the breach when a FO guy was needed.
Then selflessly made the switch to DM last season, a la DJ Plumer, who also earned the #40.
He'll wear it well. I hope we see him on the FO wing.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

old salt wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:59 am
Bravo 3 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm Ricky has landed at Gilman , just what that offense needed :D
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 0347377666

Nostrant and Sowell have quite the lacrosse resumes but zero club connections in Baltimore so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The pantry is full at Gilman so the expectations should be high.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Navy commit Jackson Bonitz made the latest U19 roster cut — they are at 24 with a final allowed roster size of 23. https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-under ... s-u19-team

I assume they hold at 24 for now and leave the one “spare” spot assuming there may be at least 1 slot opening up through attrition via an injury during the upcoming season.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm Navy commit Jackson Bonitz made the latest U19 roster cut — they are at 24 with a final allowed roster size of 23. https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-under ... s-u19-team

I assume they hold at 24 for now and leave the one “spare” spot assuming there may be at least 1 slot opening up through attrition via an injury during the upcoming season.
Just curious, how would that work with I-Day for Plebe summer on June 25th? I know other SA 2020's were told they wouldn't be able to attend so they didn't try-out.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NElaxtalent wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm
The Orfling wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm Navy commit Jackson Bonitz made the latest U19 roster cut — they are at 24 with a final allowed roster size of 23. https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-under ... s-u19-team

Just curious, how would that work with I-Day for Plebe summer on June 25th? I know other SA 2020's were told they wouldn't be able to attend so they didn't try-out.
If going to NAPS(assuming I have dates accurate) I believe they will have a a couple days after U19 games to make it to Newport, RI. IF direct admit to Annapolis I don’t think the can make U19 games. IMO, not worth the risk of Injury to play U-19 and risk missing INDOC.
~Livy

oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

No worries, I'm sure Tillman will poach Bonitz, just like Farriman, Shockey, etc ;)
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm

If going to NAPS(assuming I have dates accurate) I believe they will have a a couple days after U19 games to make it to Newport, RI. IF direct admit to Annapolis I don’t think the can make U19 games. IMO, not worth the risk of Injury to play U-19 and risk missing INDOC.
Youth is correct -- dates would not conflict with the start of indoc at NAPS. Also agree on the fact that the better the young man plays, if he is on the U19 squad and plays in the tournament, the more interest there will be from College Park and other lacrosse environs . . .
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Any update from Chapel Hill? Maybe Youth is there? Twitter had Jacksonville ahead of UNC 17-14 in the first scrimmage there.
What kind of start will we see from the Coach Amplo era? I am thinking that a year has made a huge difference and a new tone has been set. I know that it isn't where you start but where you finish that matters. Sure would be great to see a good start though.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020! Beat Army!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

laxpere wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:18 pm Any update from Chapel Hill?
Just echo'ing laxpere. Anyone in North Carolina?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:18 pm
laxpere wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:18 pm Any update from Chapel Hill?
Just echo'ing laxpere. Anyone in North Carolina?
Fun day. They kept score...Jax over UNC, Navy over Jax, Navy over UNC. But this is just scrimmaging, a lot of players saw the field on all 3 teams. Bottom line, Navy looks different.....in a promising way.
~Livy

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Not many specifics in the Inside Lacrosse notes on the scrimmage, but an observation that Navy showed "athleticism and commitment to structure in all phases," as well as some good quotes from Coach Amplo that give (more of) a sense of his approach/philosophy. (Link below.) Sounds like a good day for the Mids. Taking another look at the schedule, I kind of like the graduated degree-of-difficulty approach to the first four games. With a new coaching staff, it makes sense to me for the Mids to roll into things a bit more gradually with some (on paper at least) lower RPI teams, before upping the degree of difficulty significantly with Richmond (preseason #24 in NCAA "too early rankings") and then taking on an elite program with the game against the Terps on Feb. 22 before league play begins. Let's go Navy!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... obin/55814
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:19 pm Not many specifics in the Inside Lacrosse notes on the scrimmage, but an observation that Navy showed "athleticism and commitment to structure in all phases," as well as some good quotes from Coach Amplo that give (more of) a sense of his approach/philosophy. (Link below.) Sounds like a good day for the Mids. Taking another look at the schedule, I kind of like the graduated degree-of-difficulty approach to the first four games. With a new coaching staff, it makes sense to me for the Mids to roll into things a bit more gradually with some (on paper at least) lower RPI teams, before upping the degree of difficulty significantly with Richmond (preseason #24 in NCAA "too early rankings") and then taking on an elite program with the game against the Terps on Feb. 22 before league play begins. Let's go Navy!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... obin/55814
Under that theory, they should play Hopkins first.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”