Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by ah23 »

Even when it was 6-5 it seemed like Penn was kind of playing with their food. Cabrini isn't completely of their depth by any means, but there is a noticeable gap. Ball movement is way too quick for the Cabrini D, and the shooters are feasting out there. It's been a fun game to watch, good on both programs for putting this together.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

I have no idea what the announcers are saying half of the time.

Penn is too big, too fast, too strong.

Ah, the season that could have been.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Hats off to the players and coaches on these Ivy teams who've practiced with dedication and no clear hope of playing this year.

Also hats off to the programs who scrambled to arrange games on short notice.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm Brown 8 BU 2 at the half. Goss midseason form, f/o strong. Bit ragged overall, but to be expected.
Thanks. Happy for those 5th year seniors that came back. I am a big Goss fan.
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

Nice showing by the Ivies. Bodes well for their return to play next year (?). Is this the last we see of AAs Goss and Goldner?
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Good job by Brown and Penn last night. Saw a couple quarters of the Penn game, they were pretty fired up on the field and the bench. I would assume Brown was equally into it as they usually are. Happy for all involved and hope they get another game in. Way to persevere
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

It'd be great to get Penn and Brown together for an exhibition game. Dartmouth, by it's own admission, is playing with 10 frosh and 15ish upperclassmen. Perhaps a round robin weekend of the three teams?
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I believe the IL administration was overly cautious with their prohibition of a season this year. And yes hats off to the coaches and athletes who persevered through all the adversity. I know that there is a lot of bitterness amongst parents of IVY players who watched their sons stick together and watched their summer club teammates enjoy a near complete season.
The athletes and their parents make significant financial contributions on behalf of their schools and I have heard comments like: "st judes is getting g my money for the next many years and not ________". Or "when they ask for financial support for the IL athletics I will send a $1.00 check commensurate with the support they showed my son."
If the IL administration would admit that NOW it appears that lacrosse and other outdoor sports could be safely held then immediately lift any restrictions on IVY league participation. I would gladly pay or contribute to a plane ride for a trip to UTAH for my son and I am sure the lax parent group could cover travel expenses.

I do think the IL administration could go a long way to rebuild strained relations. I am sure many metrics would improve if they did make an effort to support more games for Dartmouth, Brown and Penn. I f they wanted to they could make it happen and I think it is a mistake if they simply say "too late or too much effort"
HelloJoe

Post by HelloJoe »

Zero chance the IL will admit it was 100% wrong or that it will do anything to help these three teams play more. The IL stand on spring athletics has alienated current players, parents and fans across all sports. Is it the end of the IL? No. Students and parents will still flock to the degree. But just because you can get away with it, doesn’t make it right. I am one of those parents who will never give another nickel to my son’s school. I understand when you have an endowment you count in the billions, my contribution does not matter. But the ill will this has generated is real, despite what some posters on this page believe.
Typical Lax Dad

HelloJoe wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:16 am Zero chance the IL will admit it was 100% wrong or that it will do anything to help these three teams play more. The IL stand on spring athletics has alienated current players, parents and fans across all sports. Is it the end of the IL? No. Students and parents will still flock to the degree. But just because you can get away with it, doesn’t make it right. I am one of those parents who will never give another nickel to my son’s school. I understand when you have an endowment you count in the billions, my contribution does not matter. But the ill will this has generated is real, despite what some posters on this page believe.
“Wrong” in what way?
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bearfan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:08 am I believe the IL administration was overly cautious with their prohibition of a season this year. And yes hats off to the coaches and athletes who persevered through all the adversity. I know that there is a lot of bitterness amongst parents of IVY players who watched their sons stick together and watched their summer club teammates enjoy a near complete season.
The athletes and their parents make significant financial contributions on behalf of their schools and I have heard comments like: "st judes is getting g my money for the next many years and not ________". Or "when they ask for financial support for the IL athletics I will send a $1.00 check commensurate with the support they showed my son."
If the IL administration would admit that NOW it appears that lacrosse and other outdoor sports could be safely held then immediately lift any restrictions on IVY league participation. I would gladly pay or contribute to a plane ride for a trip to UTAH for my son and I am sure the lax parent group could cover travel expenses.

I do think the IL administration could go a long way to rebuild strained relations. I am sure many metrics would improve if they did make an effort to support more games for Dartmouth, Brown and Penn. I f they wanted to they could make it happen and I think it is a mistake if they simply say "too late or too much effort"
When you get bigger you focus on bigger checks. They don’t care about checks from parents of athletes who are there under the $150k income rule or even who make a stick a year. They need bigger numbers to move the needle as huge old institutions so they focus on the people that can write 8 figure checks.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HelloJoe wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:16 am Zero chance the IL will admit it was 100% wrong or that it will do anything to help these three teams play more. The IL stand on spring athletics has alienated current players, parents and fans across all sports. Is it the end of the IL? No. Students and parents will still flock to the degree. But just because you can get away with it, doesn’t make it right. I am one of those parents who will never give another nickel to my son’s school. I understand when you have an endowment you count in the billions, my contribution does not matter. But the ill will this has generated is real, despite what some posters on this page believe.
Most people are disappointed and no one really defends the move even the ones who point out that it’s logical and makes sense form their perspective which is entirely different.

But here’s the point, you or your son‘s “Ill will”, and I assume he’s in the transfer portal based on what you are saying here, doesn’t matter. You said it yourself 1-2 sentences earlier when you said everyone will still want to go there. The real consequence you mention is of no consequence to an institution if it doesn’t change the future demand dynamic or their financial situation, and this doesn’t. Point to me a current Jon Reese (not just great two sport player but has given his life back to Yale athletics) who is going to transfer or not participate in the schools future and that’s a problem. But the reason folks bring up Jon Reese is because of how unique of a star athlete and alum from an Ivy he is. Not every Harrison, Merrill, Siebald gives back meaningfully. Talent comes and goes.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HelloJoe

Post by HelloJoe »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:37 am
“Wrong” in what way?
In my opinion, it was 100% wrong to take away a second season when the rest of the country is showing games can be played safely. I know you are in the “it’s not wrong, the IL just thinks differently” camp. That’s fine. That’s your opinion. My opinion is that the league and the schools’ treatment of its student-athletes was 100% wrong.
HelloJoe

Post by HelloJoe »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:24 am
Most people are disappointed and no one really defends the move even the ones who point out that it’s logical and makes sense form their perspective which is entirely different.

But here’s the point, you or your son‘s “Ill will”, and I assume he’s in the transfer portal based on what you are saying here, doesn’t matter. You said it yourself 1-2 sentences earlier when you said everyone will still want to go there. The real consequence you mention is of no consequence to an institution if it doesn’t change the future demand dynamic or their financial situation, and this doesn’t. Point to me a current Jon Reese (not just great two sport player but has given his life back to Yale athletics) who is going to transfer or not participate in the schools future and that’s a problem. But the reason folks bring up Jon Reese is because of how unique of a star athlete and alum from an Ivy he is. Not every Harrison, Merrill, Siebald gives back meaningfully. Talent comes and goes.
He is not transferring. He is going to stay for the degree. Again, just because you can get away with it, does not make it right. I get the parents and students do not matter to the schools. They can just plug in another cog. Still not right.
Typical Lax Dad

HelloJoe wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:37 am
“Wrong” in what way?
In my opinion, it was 100% wrong to take away a second season when the rest of the country is showing games can be played safely. I know you are in the “it’s not wrong, the IL just thinks differently” camp. That’s fine. That’s your opinion. My opinion is that the league and the schools’ treatment of its student-athletes was 100% wrong.
Matter of priorities I suppose. I wish the teams had played too.
“I wish you would!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Are there any schools where the players are allowed back on campus and the rest of the student body is not?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:48 pm Are there any schools where the players are allowed back on campus and the rest of the student body is not?
are there any schools in the ivy who didn't allow students on campus?
cornell did. penn and brown look like they had students back. didn't check others.
why couldn't cornell, penn and brown play?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:01 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:48 pm Are there any schools where the players are allowed back on campus and the rest of the student body is not?
cornell did. penn and brown look like they had students back. didn't check others.
That’s a good question. Princeton is close to Penn. Not sure why a game like that isn’t allowed.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:34 pm
That’s a good question. Princeton is close to Penn. Not sure why a game like that isn’t allowed.
Don’t think they have much of a team right now.

And who wants to get “waxed” by “just Penn” as Y-H-Pr like to say?😂
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Many Cornell players took the semester off when it looked like no games were coming. I don't know how many are on campus. Also, Cornell's Covid policy is still extremely strict. Given these two issues, I'd assume that a Cornell game is unlikely.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”