CAA 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Colonial Athletic Association 2021

Post by jrn19 »

HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:56 am
Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 am Tierney's pre-CAA season does not compare favorably to the impact he has had within the conference. He went nuts with big stats against St. Johns, Wagner, Sacred Heart and Stony Brook where he averaged just under 6 goals a game (5.75).

In the CAA play he has averaged just 2.14 goals a game which ties him for 8th in the conference. He averages 3.57 points per game (5th best in the conference) and well behind Charlie Kitchen's leading 5.71 points per game.

I don't think this is a contest in my opinion.

Kitchen was pre-season POY. I think that stands.
I hear you. In conference and team results weigh heavy. I have much respect for Kitchen. That being said Tierney is the better lacrosse player. If Hofstra sneaks in to CAA tournament I think he deserves it.
What’s the evidence for him being the better player? Production wise Kitchen is much stronger. Kitchen has been much harder to take out of a game defensively than Tierney; his worst game he had 1 goal and 2 assists and in the rest has had 5 hat tricks and has created offense for Delaware. Tierney was essentially worked out of the game by Delaware and Drexel the last 2 weeks and against UMass in the first game. Tierney also takes a bunch of penalties that don’t help his team.

Tierney’s a really good player and awesome shooter who against overmatched competition will put up monster #’s but against CAA competition he’s been able to be defended and taken out of the game.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Neverplaydown wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:06 pm I disagree Tierney is a very selfish player. No idea what team means. Kitchen is better. Towson is going to Winn CAA tourney
I love your enthusiasm for Towson lacrosse. But let's see the Tigers beat Drexel this weekend and actually get into the tournament before talking about winning the damn thing. :D
HU34

Post by HU34 »

[quote=jrn19 post_id=253405 time=161
[/quote]

I hear you. In conference and team results weigh heavy. I have much respect for Kitchen. That being said Tierney is the better lacrosse player. If Hofstra sneaks in to CAA tournament I think he deserves it.
[/quote]

What’s the evidence for him being the better player? Production wise Kitchen is much stronger. Kitchen has been much harder to take out of a game defensively than Tierney; his worst game he had 1 goal and 2 assists and in the rest has had 5 hat tricks and has created offense for Delaware. Tierney was essentially worked out of the game by Delaware and Drexel the last 2 weeks and against UMass in the first game. Tierney also takes a bunch of penalties that don’t help his team.

Tierney’s a really good player and awesome shooter who against overmatched competition will put up monster #’s but against CAA competition he’s been able to be defended and taken out of the game.
[/quote]

CAA teams game plan to stop Tierney. There is focus on stopping Kitchen but that's not their entire strategy. For Tierney it is. The trail off in Tierney's production during CAA play is directly linked to Concannon's injury. With Concannon out teams were able to go all in on stopping Tierney.

Forget about stats, schemes and team play. Just using the eye test Tierney is the better player. I know I'm a Hofstra homer but it's really not debatable. There are 8 PLL coaches who will agree with me.

I'm not saying Kitchen doesn't deserve POY. I'd even give him the nod right now based on team success but he's not a better player. He's just not.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 pm [quote=jrn19 post_id=253405 time=161
[/quote]

[/quote]

CAA teams game plan to stop Tierney. There is focus on stopping Kitchen but that's not their entire strategy. For Tierney it is. The trail off in Tierney's production during CAA play is directly linked to Concannon's injury. With Concannon out teams were able to go all in on stopping Tierney.

Forget about stats, schemes and team play. Just using the eye test Tierney is the better player. I know I'm a Hofstra homer but it's really not debatable. There are 8 PLL coaches who will agree with me.

I'm not saying Kitchen doesn't deserve POY. I'd even give him the nod right now based on team success but he's not a better player. He's just not.
[/quote]

"It's really not debatable because I say it is"

okay
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nassaufan wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:49 am BTW, congratulations to Tierney and Trainor on their selections in the PLL draft. I am shocked that no one picked Kitchen. Does the PLL have UFAs like the NFL?
He was a top NLL pick.
He’s got a home in the NLL.
Wish the Rush had picked him, Kitchen with CAAer Robert
Church and Mark Matthews, or even better Calagary with
CAAers Curtis Dickson and Marshall King.
I’d put him at a transition position at first.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quotation repair 👍
Carry on.
jrn19 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:51 pm
HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:02 pm

"It's really not debatable because I say it is"

okay
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

I came up with a new word yesterday, it's plagiarism.

Do you ever listen to the acoustic version of a song and realize you've had like half the lyrics wrong this whole time?

The human brain is awesome. It functions 24 hours a day from the day you were born and only stops when you take an exam or fall in love.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm
Nassaufan wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:49 am BTW, congratulations to Tierney and Trainor on their selections in the PLL draft. I am shocked that no one picked Kitchen. Does the PLL have UFAs like the NFL?
He was a top NLL pick.
I know this is going to be a controversial comment and just seem like I'm busting on Kitchen but I'm not. I think he is an excellent college player and has had a great career but here it goes - Kitchen won't make it in the NLL. Neither will Tierney. NLL is a different animal. Unless you grew up playing indoor it's difficult to break through in the NLL. I know he has some box experience but it's not the same. Very few American field players make the crossover successfully. NLL training camps are littered with the corpses of college stars.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

An FYI,
All MAAC annual teams announced,
2020-21 MAAC Men’s Lacrosse Major Awards
Award Player School

Co-Defensive Player of the Year
Chris Hervada Monmouth
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:35 pm
He was a top NLL pick.
I know this is going to be a controversial comment and just seem like I'm busting on Kitchen but I'm not. I think he is an excellent college player and has had a great career but here it goes - Kitchen won't make it in the NLL. Neither will Tierney. NLL is a different animal. Unless you grew up playing indoor it's difficult to break through in the NLL. I know he has some box experience but it's not the same. Very few American field players make the crossover successfully. NLL training camps are littered with the corpses of college stars.
Indoor league? NLL is a truck & tractor pull. It’s different ballpark then field lacrosse. No one really cares about the NLL it’s meat head lacrosse. I don’t think these guys care about if they make it in this league.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:22 am
lillaxman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:57 am Last week of the regular season, should be hearing about the All CAA teams here soon. Until about three weeks ago I thought Tierney was run away for player of the year, after his play in the CAA I personally dont think he deserves it. We'll see if his dad pulls some string..lol.

Throw down your teams
Pre-season the Hens only had one player on the All-CAA team - Charlie Kitchen

There are a few guys that I think under-performed on the pre-season list which could open up some spots.

Here is the pre-season list:

Dylan Beckwith attack
Reid Bowering attack
Chris Connelly attack
Charlie Kitchen attack
Ryan Tierney attack
Collin Mailman midfield
Taylor Strough midfield
Jeff Trainor midfield
Michael Altmann LSM
Brian Herber FOGO
Sam Eisenstadt defense
Sean Quinn defense
Koby Smith defense
Bobby Casey goalie

Due to injury or underperformance I would think that the post-season Attack list would no longer have Reid Bowering or Chris Connelly. Beckwith, Kitchen and Connelly were all really solid this year. I might add Michael Robinson, Tye Kurtz, Aidan Coll or Justin Lynskey to that first team. Robinson and Kurtz lead the league in PPG during conference play.

On Midfield I am not sure I would include Collin Mailman or Taylor Strough to the first team list. I think Ryan Genord, Jack Mulcahy, Kevin Tobin, Riley Forte or Mark Beida had stronger seasons than the preseason group.

Michael Altmann was great at LSM. I would think that Mo Sillah could get votes there as well.
Brian Herber was the best FOGO so no questions there.
On defense, I would replace Sam Eisenstadt with Owen Grant. That is really no disrespect to Eisenstadt who is a talented close defender, but he is certainly not a shut-down guy like Smith, Quinn and Grant.

Bobby Casey actually has the lowest save percentage of any goalie in the CAA. I thought he was a stretch in the pre-season list especially given the freshman performance of Matt Knote against top-level competition. Knote should be the guy here.

My $.02.
If one incorporates conference success which I think they do to some degree Beckwith could be replaced.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:59 pm
HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:35 pm
He was a top NLL pick.
Indoor league? NLL is a truck & tractor pull. It’s different ballpark then field lacrosse. No one really cares about the NLL it’s meat head lacrosse. I don’t think these guys care about if they make it in this league.
:lol:

Its not.
They do.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Couple of questions:

1. Will Delaware still get the top seed in the conference tournament if they lose to UMass?
2. Does UMass still make the conference tournament if they lose to Delaware?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Doesn’t much matter, the seedings,
but yes, probably, point one.

Point two doesn’t matter,
again, the seedings,
probably, UMass is top three in the CAA,
but you could argue for any of 5 teams.

————

The thing I saw that was interesting,
I saw a bracketology where the CAA draw was
UVA, beatable to my way of thinking by one of
three CAA teams.

Notre Dame, UVA, Syracuse draws,
all three are beatable.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I hear a bunch of people talking about how UMass has underperformed this year. Heard it again on the Dixie and DFly podcast this morning. Yet nobody mentions that their top attackman Chris Connelly has missed nearly the entire season with an injury. He had 63 points in his last full season and has been the QB on this offense over the last three years. They now run the offense through Kevin Tobin at midfield or through Devin Spencer at attack. While both of these players are talented, they are not anywhere near as good as Connelly.

I am looking forward to watching the UMass game tonight versus the Blue Hens. I am thinking the Hens will double pole at midfield (on Trainor and Tobin) and cover off-ball attackman Gabe Procyk with a shortie. That strategy worked well last week against Towson, when they put a shortie on the crease attackman, Andrew Milani and double-poled the athletic Tiger middies.

While the Hens have already locked up the #1 seed, I am hoping that Kitchen and Co. can put 12 or 13 past Matt Knote's ears tonight. That should be enough. Can't wait.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Injuries have played a pretty big role.

Chris Connolly really only played one game, he got
hurt in the Drexel game, a freak play Connolly was
chasing down the defenseman on a hard ride and his
foot caught in the turf, he went down.

Alex Concannon, another freak play, Concannon and a
defenseman were chasing down the ball off a shot,
Concannon looked like he had the advantage, defenseman
rolls up on Concannon’s leg.

And, some other injuries on the Dutch side.

But they still control things, beat the Stags today.

So, some 4 hours of CAA play on Lax Sports Net.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

IL has Delaware winning the CAAT and facing #5 Notre Dame in the NCAAT:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ield/57794
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

2-2 early, Hens UMass.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

4-3 UMass,
Mike Robinson with all 3 Hen goals.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

6-5 UMass at the half,
real good defense UMass,
Hens get the ball to start 2nd half on man up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”