Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:25 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:43 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:18 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:10 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:22 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:14 pm He may be a genius at some things but as a person he's an idiot and apparently an anti-semite as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/16/elon-mu ... truth.html
I read the article quite differently....maybe I give people far too much rope before I revert to calling them something like an anti-semite. I read it as a shot directly at the ADM for perpetuating division; arguably, what many feel places like the NAACP also do. If these types of organizations did not exist any longer, (again, we can argue they served a very valuable purpose at inception) maybe, we could move past the divisions that they continue to keep alive, for the sake of their own survival. Just a thought.
It's the Jews fault that they are persecuted...they should just shut up?

I mean, particularly the organized Jews; if they just shut up about anti-semitism it would disappear...same for them blacks who get organized for civil rights...???
You really have a hard time thinking past the immediate, and are stuck in the past. Not to mention, very good at listening either.

.....the ADL is doing wonders for Israel, no? Or asked differently, what have they done for Israel in order to help them secure peace....which is THE HOME of the Jews? Where were they during all the (essentially)pro-Hamas/Palestine marches on all the IL/college campuses.

Maybe I am wrong, but there is has to come a time where groups like these are not longer needed, out laws already protect each of us....maybe its time to cut the umbilical cord.
Views like yours and Elon Musk’s pretty much disprove your arguments.

If anything, white supremacist racism is on the rise. Antisemitism is on the rise. Anti-LGBTQ bigotry is on the rise. Misogyny is on the rise. And the Republican Party has largely been transformed into a fascist personality cult.

If anything, America needs organizations like the ADL, NAACP, and ACLU more than ever before.

DocBarrister
Flipping your logic back on you....it proves those organizations are not doing anything to actually make it better for those the whom they are fighting for, if the claim is all those bad things are on the rise.
Not doing anything???
Excuse me, but when anti-semitism leads to pogroms and holocausts and terrorist attacks it's not because the ADL has failed. It's because evil, bigoted, hate-filled people take control of a society and need a scapegoat.

We have "laws" against "aberrant behavior"??? How are those "laws" doing?

You're way out to lunch on this, youth.
This is fun.....and you are making my point for me, thanks.

You start with "Not doing anything???"
Then follow with "when anti-semitism leads to pogroms and holocausts and terrorist attacks it's not because the ADL has failed. It's because evil, bigoted, hate-filled people take control of a society and need a scapegoat."

To which I argue......it certainly seems like these groups are not doing any prevention work, except maintaining their 5013C status, considering, as you & Doc say, it's getting worse out there".

Then you try to argue with me about laws.....buy citing me, followed by "How are those "laws" doing? "
To which I reply....exactly the point. Hear me out, All these fabulous intentioned groups, talking and saying all the right things, followed by an argument that it is getting worse out there, and yet all the laws we have to prosecute such behavior has actually 'increased' the behavior, tells us what and we can make it multiple choice. Feel free to add additional options...

(a) These groups are failing
(b) The attorneys and judges are not prosecuting these crimes appropriately
(c) God and Faith is intentionally being washed out of current culture, and we are witnessing the rebound effect
(d) ???
There’s a whole universe that could plausibly and more likely be included in #d-? And there’s more value in that than the first three combined.

It could be 1,000,000x worse without these groups and yet you took your argument in the opposite direction as if it was inconceivable that this could or likely is the case.

Have you considered your a is absolutely incorrect and in fact their efforts have been wildly successful because we could’ve had a genocide without them? You have to define success first and by leaving your argument so open without enough shape, framing or definition it has next to no value to a neutral third party. Unclear whether this opacity is an intentional heuristic to giant reaction with “intellectual shortcutters” or a mistake in advancing an argument but it has the same effect to those who think through it.
Can either side of this argument truly be proven wrong or right?....that was the point of continuing the discussion. The issue, was first mentioned by Elon, I wanted to argue the affirmative and see where it led us, in a public forum....yet, the other side either was influenced by their own confirmation bias or the time to enage, so they just said it was stupid or trolling.....essentially an attempt at a cheap shot.

Seems going after Elon, OS, or Trump is all that primarily matters around here anymore. :|
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:03 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:14 pm He may be a genius at some things but as a person he's an idiot and apparently an anti-semite as well.

I read the article quite differently....maybe I give people far too much rope before I revert to calling them something like an anti-semite. I read it as a shot directly at the ADM for perpetuating division; arguably, what many feel places like the NAACP also do. If these types of organizations did not exist any longer, (again, we can argue they served a very valuable purpose at inception) maybe, we could move past the divisions that they continue to keep alive, for the sake of their own survival. Just a thought.

I mean, particularly the organized Jews; if they just shut up about anti-semitism it would disappear...same for them blacks who get organized for civil rights...???
You really have a hard time thinking past the immediate, and are stuck in the past. Not to mention, very good at listening either.

.....the ADL is doing wonders for Israel, no? Or asked differently, what have they done for Israel in order to help them secure peace....which is THE HOME of the Jews? Where were they during all the (essentially)pro-Hamas/Palestine marches on all the IL/college campuses.

Maybe I am wrong, but there is has to come a time where groups like these are not longer needed, out laws already protect each of us....maybe its time to cut the umbilical cord.

If anything, white supremacist racism is on the rise. Antisemitism is on the rise. Anti-LGBTQ bigotry is on the rise. Misogyny is on the rise. And the Republican Party has largely been transformed into a fascist personality cult.

If anything, America needs organizations like the ADL, NAACP, and ACLU more than ever before.

DocBarrister
Flipping your logic back on you....it proves those organizations are not doing anything to actually make it better for those the whom they are fighting for, if the claim is all those bad things are on the rise.
Not doing anything???
Excuse me, but when anti-semitism leads to pogroms and holocausts and terrorist attacks it's not because the ADL has failed. It's because evil, bigoted, hate-filled people take control of a society and need a scapegoat.

Then follow with "when anti-semitism leads to pogroms and holocausts and terrorist attacks it's not because the ADL has failed. It's because evil, bigoted, hate-filled people take control of a society and need a scapegoat."

To which I argue......it certainly seems like these groups are not doing any prevention work, except maintaining their 5013C status, considering, as you & Doc say, it's getting worse out there".

Then you try to argue with me about laws.....buy citing me, followed by "How are those "laws" doing? "
To which I reply....exactly the point. Hear me out, All these fabulous intentioned groups, talking and saying all the right things, followed by an argument that it is getting worse out there, and yet all the laws we have to prosecute such behavior has actually 'increased' the behavior, tells us what and we can make it multiple choice. Feel free to add additional options...

(c) God and Faith is intentionally being washed out of current culture, and we are witnessing the rebound effect
(d) ???
There’s a whole universe that could plausibly and more likely be included in #d-? And there’s more value in that than the first three combined.

It could be 1,000,000x worse without these groups and yet you took your argument in the opposite direction as if it was inconceivable that this could or likely is the case.

Have you considered your a is absolutely incorrect and in fact their efforts have been wildly successful because we could’ve had a genocide without them? You have to define success first and by leaving your argument so open without enough shape, framing or definition it has next to no value to a neutral third party. Unclear whether this opacity is an intentional heuristic to giant reaction with “intellectual shortcutters” or a mistake in advancing an argument but it has the same effect to those who think through it.
Can either side of this argument truly be proven wrong or right?....that was the point of continuing the discussion. The issue, was first mentioned by Elon, I wanted to argue the affirmative and see where it led us, in a public forum....yet, the other side either was influenced by their own confirmation bias or the time to enage, so they just said it was stupid or trolling.....essentially an attempt at a cheap shot.

Seems going after Elon, OS, or Trump is all that primarily matters around here anymore. :|
You don’t believe the first part then there’s no point in bothering. But the answer is yes people can be proven wrong if they deploy faulty logic or incorrect factual details in their analysis. The answer is absolutely yes people can be proven wrong.

But I t sounds like you actually were trolling people here by your own admission which sort of makes it hard to believe you aren’t other times. You are also applying your own confirmation bias of others here by effectively setting them up. I don’t care but you can’t rock around on a ethical soapbox and do that at the same time realistically.

These conclusions you’re presenting aren’t conclusive or that compelling I guess is what I’m saying. You walked in with an expectation, set it up and got what you wanted but that’s not scientifically or empirically legitimate methodology in surveying and testing. And just calling it “continuing the discussion” is just sophistry and not substantially different than trolling so arguable those people were right and you didn’t confirm anything.

OS brings it in himself by being dishonest and has a clear agenda. He’s doing his part intentionally including whinging and pretending to be a victim at times. It’s all BS. Anyone with a brain sees through it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DocBarrister
Not doing anything???

(d) ???

+1 on that.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Da da daaaa!

Hers comes super cranky to rescue victims of the mean formally edumacated people!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:13 am

DocBarrister
Not doing anything???

(d) ???

You don’t believe the first part then there’s no point in bothering. But the answer is yes people can be proven wrong if they deploy faulty logic or incorrect factual details in their analysis. The answer is absolutely yes people can be proven wrong.

But I t sounds like you actually were trolling people here by your own admission which sort of makes it hard to believe you aren’t other times. You are also applying your own confirmation bias of others here by effectively setting them up. I don’t care but you can’t rock around on a ethical soapbox and do that at the same time realistically.

These conclusions you’re presenting aren’t conclusive or that compelling I guess is what I’m saying. You walked in with an expectation, set it up and got what you wanted but that’s not scientifically or empirically legitimate methodology in surveying and testing. And just calling it “continuing the discussion” is just sophistry and not substantially different than trolling so arguable those people were right and you didn’t confirm anything.

OS brings it in himself by being dishonest and has a clear agenda. He’s doing his part intentionally including whinging and pretending to be a victim at times. It’s all BS. Anyone with a brain sees through it.
So when all of you pathetic liberal losers have no where else to go you choose to vent your anger and hostility on a decorated naval officer. I'm glad that OS never kowtows to the hatred and rage directed at him. It never grows old reading OS putting all of you liberal losers in your place. Keep up the good work OS maybe some of these liberal losers can give you some pointers on how to fly an airplane. :D
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:28 am Da da daaaa!

Hers comes super cranky to rescue victims of the mean formally edumacated people!
I'm guessing you meant to say here. Ever think about proof reading your posts there puddin head. :lol: You do have a doctorate and all that. 8-) Illiterate smart folks do tend to make me super cranky. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:35 am

I'm guessing you meant to say here. Ever think about proof reading your posts there puddin head. :lol: You do have a doctorate and all that. 8-) Illiterate smart folks do tend to make me super cranky. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You think a error which you’ve made numerous times in posts yourself, which may mean this post of yours is merely prediction of your own insecurities, means in illiterate? That’s your thought out conclusion?

Good stuff. Keep on keeping on!

BTW, I’ve never said I had a doctorate. One masters and work towards another, in fact I tried to get a local college to cultivate a non Phd track economics program that combines some real world finance with history of resource allocation into a masters only program and they all refused as they only want research candidates despite me offering to pay cash to do it. And I’ve learned more from my experiences and efforts outside of school still. You like to reduce people to the things that make you feel better but it puts you in total fantasy land. Completely disconnected from the real world despite claiming to have a better handle on it than people who choose to both experience and think. But I understand not everyone is capable of doing two things at once so if it hurts your brains and soul to make that effort and shortcutting your life is more comfortable than who am I to get in your way.

Edit: I literally read my sons book for school this morning because it was an author I liked but never read this one and I chose the book for him for his book report. Crash-Jerry Spinelli. Maybe you should pick up some of his books and build yourself up a little.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:49 am

You think a error which you’ve made numerous times in posts yourself, which may mean this post of yours is merely prediction of your own insecurities, means in illiterate? That’s your thought out conclusion?

BTW, I’ve never said I had a doctorate. One masters and work towards another, in fact I tried to get a local college to cultivate a non Phd track economics program that combines some real world finance with history of resource allocation into a masters only program and they all refused as they only want research candidates despite me offering to pay cash to do it. And I’ve learned more from my experiences and efforts outside of school still. You like to reduce people to the things that make you feel better but it puts you in total fantasy land. Completely disconnected from the real world despite claiming to have a better handle on it than people who choose to both experience and think. But I understand not everyone is capable of doing two things at once so if it hurts your brains and soul to make that effort and shortcutting your life is more comfortable than who am I to get in your way.

Edit: I literally read my sons book for school this morning because it was an author I liked but never read this one and I chose the book for him for his book report. Crash-Jerry Spinelli. Maybe you should pick up some of his books and build yourself up a little.
I hope your son has better grammar and spelling than you do.... :D I read to both of my sons every day for a long time. Their favorite books were the Berenstain Bears .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:03 pm

I hope your son has better grammar and spelling than you do.... :D I read to both of my sons every day for a long time. Their favorite books were the Berenstain Bears .
Guess all those As on papers were from dyslexic folks. Same with reports approving hundreds of millions in committed capital to new business initiatives at a bank that touched a trillion dollars in assets in 2006.

My son is reading Blindside for fun. He stopped reading Berenstain years ago. He can already run circles around many adults.

You bring up the stupidest things. Who cares what goes on here. Is this your entire life? Act as if this represent reality. This is the delusion I’m talking about. Please for the love of god don’t let anyone talk to you about crypto when your around a computer with your retirement account numbers in hand.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:41 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:03 pm

Guess all those As on papers were from dyslexic folks. Same with reports approving hundreds of millions in committed capital to new business initiatives at a bank that touched a trillion dollars in assets in 2006.

My son is reading Blindside for fun. He stopped reading Berenstain years ago. He can already run circles around many adults.

You bring up the stupidest things. Who cares what goes on here. Is this your entire life? Act as if this represent reality. This is the delusion I’m talking about. Please for the love of god don’t let anyone talk to you about crypto when your around a computer with your retirement account numbers in hand.
I'm glad your son isn't a chip off the old block of his old man. My son's were about 5 ish when I read them Berenstain Bears books. I tried reading them Henry David Thoreau but they just had no interest. :D 5 year olds can be so finicky like that. :D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Things could really be shaking up. For those unaware, Musk started OpenAI (with Altman), then left in 18'. Now the CEO Altman was ousted by Microsoft CEO. Altman in talks to start a new AI company.

This could be a monumental shift as Microsoft shifts gears, with concerns Altman may have been flirting with Apple to monetize OpenAI. Now.....with Musk, owning Twitter and a great relationship with Altman...this has the makings of another rung up the ladder.

Imagine for a moment, Altman transitions to "X", and champions an AI platform that assimilates with X...leaving it wide open away from a propriety service like MS or Apple. Seems rather simple to happen, considering you would now have two of the smartest tech giants, with the most reach globally in a tech realm (AI) that is on the cusp of mass use.

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/ne ... 2023-11-20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:03 pm Things could really be shaking up. For those unaware, Musk started OpenAI (with Altman), then left in 18'. Now the CEO Altman was ousted by Microsoft CEO. Altman in talks to start a new AI company.

This could be a monumental shift as Microsoft shifts gears, with concerns Altman may have been flirting with Apple to monetize OpenAI. Now.....with Musk, owning Twitter and a great relationship with Altman...this has the makings of another rung up the ladder.

Imagine for a moment, Altman transitions to "X", and champions an AI platform that assimilates with X...leaving it wide open away from a propriety service like MS or Apple. Seems rather simple to happen, considering you would now have two of the smartest tech giants, with the most reach globally in a tech realm (AI) that is on the cusp of mass use.

It's been a rollercoaster of a few days.

Altman wasn't ousted by the Microsoft CEO though, but the OpenAI board. In fact, Microsoft just hired Altman along with OpenAI's (former) president and co-founder Greg Brockman to run a lot of Microsoft's AI stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/20/tech/sam ... index.html

Musk started his own AI bot, Grok, earlier this month. It's like ChatGPT but snarkier with a teenager edge.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/05/elon-mu ... hers-.html
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:51 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:03 pm Things could really be shaking up. For those unaware, Musk started OpenAI (with Altman), then left in 18'. Now the CEO Altman was ousted by Microsoft CEO. Altman in talks to start a new AI company.

Altman wasn't ousted by the Microsoft CEO though, but the OpenAI board. In fact, Microsoft just hired Altman along with OpenAI's (former) president and co-founder Greg Brockman to run a lot of Microsoft's AI stuff.

Musk started his own AI bot, Grok, earlier this month. It's like ChatGPT but snarkier with a teenager edge.

Suspect the Microsoft will poach most of the staff many of whom are unhappy with the Open AI board for ousting Altman in the first place.
UPDATE WEDNESDAY - Altman back as CEO and board reconfigured.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/22/openai- ... uster.html
Last edited by Kismet on Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:30 pm

Suspect the Microsoft will poach most of the staff many of whom are unhappy with the Open AI board for ousting Altman in the first place.
You mean he isn’t joining the company formerly known as Twitter?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah that post was all off and didn’t seem to understand or know the situation at all. MSFT wanted to commercialize and along with Altman it was the board that didn’t want to. And it was known before MSFT hired Altman this was the case so not sure why that post even came up since it was flat out incorrect the moment it was written:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This is swinging from nuts wishful thinking here that belies facts known before this price was written. Just misinformation day one to prop up Musk and nothing more because it was verifiably wrong at the time of publication.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Because they’re petty Silicon Valley’s people that are only in it for the money but then want to be heralded as heroes for effective altruism which Is the same as to gilded age whitewashing with a pretty name around it.

Altman and MSFT aren’t the heroes of this story they want unfettered commercialization fo AI,consequences be damned.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:05 pm

Because they’re petty Silicon Valley’s people that are only in it for the money but then want to be heralded as heroes for effective altruism which Is the same as to gilded age whitewashing with a pretty name around it.

Altman and MSFT aren’t the heroes of this story they want unfettered commercialization fo AI,consequences be damned.
who said they were? And who didn’t know that want unfettered commercialization. That’s what I posed about ai and Twitter.

You doing okay?
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:05 pm

who said they were? And who didn’t know that want unfettered commercialization. That’s what I posed about ai and Twitter.

You doing okay?
Timely as was just pulling up Axios:

Behind the Curtain: Myth of AI restraint
headshot
headshot
Jim VandeHei
Mike Allen

Share on facebook (opens in new window)

Share on twitter (opens in new window)

Share on linkedin (opens in new window)

Share on email (opens in new window)
Animated illustration of a robot thinking, with ellipses moving inside its thought bubble.
Illustration: Shoshana Gordon/Axios
Nearly every high-level Washington meeting, star-studded conference and story about AI centers on one epic question: Can this awesome new power be constrained?

It cannot, experts repeatedly and emphatically told us.
Why it matters: Lots of people want to roll artificial intelligence out slowly, use it ethically, regulate it wisely. But everyone gets the joke: It defies all human logic and experience to think ethics will trump profit, power, prestige. Never has. Never will.

Practically speaking, there's no way to truly do any of this once a competition of this size and import is unleashed. And unleashed it is — at breathtaking scale.
AI pioneer Mustafa Suleyman — co-founder and CEO of Inflection AI, and co-founder of AI giant DeepMind, now part of Google — sounds the alarm in his new book "The Coming Wave," with the sobering Chapter 1: "Containment Is Not Possible."
That's why Sam Altman getting sacked — suddenly and shockingly — should grab your attention. OpenAI — creator of the most popular generative AI tool, ChatGPT — became a battlefield between ethical true believers, who control the board, and the profit-and-progress activators like Altman who ran the company.

Altman was quickly scooped up by Microsoft, OpenAI's main sugar daddy, to move faster with a "new advanced AI research team."
Open AI's interim CEO is a doom-fearing advocate for slowing the AI race — Twitch co-founder Emmett Shear, who recently warned there's a 5% to 50% chance this new tech ends humanity.
What we're hearing: Few in Silicon Valley think the Shears of the world will win this battle. The dynamics they're battling are too powerful:

Competition between technologists and technology companies to create something with superhuman power inevitably leads to speed and high risk. It's why free competition exists and works.
Even if individuals and companies magically showed never-before-seen restraint and humility, competitive governments and nations won't. China will force us to throw caution to the wind: The only thing worse than superhuman power in our hands is it being in China's ... or Iran's ... or Russia's.
Even if other nations stumbled and America's innovators paused, there are still open-source models that bad actors could exploit.
Top AI architects tell us there'll likely be no serious regulation of generative AI, which one day soon could spawn artificial general intelligence (AGI) — the one that could outthink our species.

Corporations won't do it: They're pouring trillions of dollars into the race of our lifetime.
Government can't do it: Congress is too divided to tackle the complexities of AI regulation in an election year.
Individuals can't do it: A fractured AI safety movement will persist. But the technology will solve so many big problems in the short term that most people won't bother worrying about a future that might never materialize.

Congress isn't giving up. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Mark Warner (D-Va.) — a former tech entrepreneur who has been a leader in the Capitol Hill conversation on AI — told us he sees more need than ever "for Congress to establish some rules of the road when it comes to the risks posed by these technologies."

But lawmakers have always had trouble regulating tech companies. Axios reporters on the Hill tell us there are so many conflicting AI proposals that it's hard to see any one of them getting traction.
Reality check: Global nuclear agreements did slow proliferation. Global agreements on fluorocarbons did rescue the ozone layer. Aviation has guardrails.

With AI, though, there's no time to build consensus or constituencies. The reality is now.
The bottom line: There's never been such fast consumer adoption of a new technology. Cars took decades. The internet didn't get critical mass until the smartphone. But ChatGPT was a hit overnight — 100 million users in a matter of weeks.

No way it'll be rolled back.
"Behind the Curtain" is a column by Axios CEO Jim VandeHei and co-founder Mike Allen, based on regular conversations with White House and congressional leaders, CEOs and top technologists.
Go deeper: Axios' Dan Primack writes that there's a decent chance Microsoft's new "research lab" is a ruse to force OpenAI to rehire Altman.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Axios Pro Rata

The OpenAI saga appears to be in a holding pattern, although the smart money remains on Sam Altman and Greg Brockman returning to the company instead of becoming official parts of the Bellevue borg.

So let's briefly pull back from the palace intrigue:
Why it matters: This episode is highlighting how corporate governance matters. A lot. And how too many venture capitalists have either ignored it or downplayed it in favor of FOMO.

A quality board of directors isn't there to oversee day-to-day activities, but can be an invaluable resource for management when it comes to major strategic decisions. It also can help preserve shareholder value, even if not every investor is directly represented.
A lousy board of directors, or a nonexistent one (e.g., FTX, Twitter), creates the conditions for chaos. VCs are loudly supporting Altman, but they've got to be kicking themselves for not pushing him harder on refilling director roles that once were filled by folks like Reid Hoffman. The OpenAI board is dysfunctional, but it didn't pick itself.
Those invested in OpenAI are still trying to put out the fire. Everyone else should be looking at their own portfolios, and trying to extinguish any corporate governance sparks.
Why it doesn't matter: The core dispute between Altman and the OpenAI board remains unclear, except that it has something to do with the speed of development and commercialization.

No matter how it's ultimately resolved, or which side you support, that racehorse has already left the barn.

Return to “POLITICS”