Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by bearlaxfan »

Congrats on a fine win. Thinking maybe the coaching gap is bigger than the talent gap🤔.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:00 pm Great win! Team looked very good.

CJ Kirst 9 points (6,3) I counted at least two caused turnovers by him.
That's the thing about Kirst, he is not only terrific on offense, but also very strong on the ride... Also have to say that Long makes the attack unit clearly better. If everyone stays healthy for the Big Red, May could be a fun month for this team.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Today's win was very business-like for Cornell. This team can win games in many different ways and that helps it overcome some things that don't go its way.

The offense was incredibly efficient in the first half when Brown was moving the ball well and finding open shots and when Ierlan wasn't seeing the ball.

In the second half, the defense and the ride took over. Brown was held scoreless over the last 20+ minutes and some forced turnovers on the ride extended possessions. Ierlan settled down in the 4th quarter and made some key saves and Kirst didn't force things when Brown locked him up in the second half. He had some key assists in the 3rd and 4th quarter when goals were harder to come by and had two forced turnovers late (one was just an incredibly athletic play).

Cornell had a rough day with face offs, winning only 40%. But the defense and ride made up for it in some ways. Brown is athletic and quick, but the turnovers and off day from Theriault made up for the lost possessions.

Great job by the coaching staff, again. Cornell came out of every time out like gangbusters. That is a sign of tremendous coaching.

The only downside was Davis limping off the field in the 4th quarter. I hope it was nothing serious because Cornell cannot afford to lose him for the post season...

ILT ticket punched. Big game next week for NCAA tourney bid and seeding.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I'm pretty sure Davis returned to the field later in the game ...
BeamHill87

Post by BeamHill87 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:47 pm I'm pretty sure Davis returned to the field later in the game ...
Can confirm - I was relieved to see #7 on the field during the final minutes.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

BeamHill87 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:50 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:47 pm I'm pretty sure Davis returned to the field later in the game ...
Can confirm - I was relieved to see #7 on the field during the final minutes.
Thanks. I didn't notice. That's great news.
Lager

Post by Lager »

So Cornell is into the ILT, have they also punched their ticket to the NCAA tournament? I would think yes, especially with penn state continuing to rack up wins, but one can never be too sure
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Likely, but not certain. A loss to Princeton next week followed by a loss to Penn in the ILT might leave Cornell out, especially if there are dark-horse winners in other conf tournaments.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:13 pm Likely, but not certain. A loss to Princeton next week followed by a loss to Penn in the ILT might leave Cornell out, especially if there are dark-horse winners in other conf tournaments.
Maybe.

The only possibility of 2 teams from any league besides, ACC, BIG, IVY is Big East where a GT loss could allow Villanova or Denver in and GT gets an at large.

All the rest are 1 team bids with only the champion getting in UNLESS, Army loses in the Patriot final and the committee pulls a 2019, and puts Army in over Cornell , even though Cornell beat Army at Army.

Sorry, but Cornells RPI is just too high so now barring a 2019, Cornell is in.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Kirst’s line: 6G 3A 3GB 2CT

What an impressive all around performance.
semsox

Post by semsox »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:28 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:00 pm Great win! Team looked very good.

CJ Kirst 9 points (6,3) I counted at least two caused turnovers by him.
That's the thing about Kirst, he is not only terrific on offense, but also very strong on the ride... Also have to say that Long makes the attack unit clearly better. If everyone stays healthy for the Big Red, May could be a fun month for this team.
Strong agree on Long. His presence rebalances the entire offense. I think this comes across quite clearly in just watching the offense operate, but it's also borne out in the statistics, where Cornell's assist rate is 59% in the 4 games he played and 47% in the remaining 8 games.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:50 pm Sorry, but Cornells RPI is just too high so now barring a 2019, Cornell is in.
Ending the season with 2 losses would likely drop Cornell's RPI below the top 10. Last year, Duke had the #8 RPI and was left out. So I'm not counting my chickens yet.

That said, beat Princeton! Beat Yale! Beat Penn! LGR!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Nice team effort.

Eddie Rayhill has been a great add to the short stick rotation. Just solid position defense, doesn’t overplay and quickness limits his opponent to get a step and reduces need for slides.

Davis and Rayhill are one of the best short stick combinations we’ve had in a long time IMO. Bozzi, Smith and Box do ok but often seem to give up a step.

Early time out in the first seemed to be a defensive adjustment to pressure out more to limit hands free shots from a good shooting midfield. Great adjustment by Stevens.

While I know Blake got the game winner last week his actual turnovers combined with what seems like low shot percentage are a concern.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Yeah cornell got screwed in 2019, but this is a (far?) superior Cornell squad. Yale was simply much better than Cornell that year, and I'm not sure Cornell beats ND if it's not raining the entire game. Cuse also thoroughly outplayed Cornell that year.

All Cornell can do is keep winning. I think a win next week against Princeton absolutely seals an NCAA tourney berth for Cornell. Princeton will be motivated after Cornell beat them in NJ last year in a league title deciding game. This is a big game: league title on the line, ivy tourney seeding, ncaa berths at stake, classic rivalry between the two traditional powers.
another fan

Post by another fan »

RedIvy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:56 pm Nice team effort.

Eddie Rayhill has been a great add to the short stick rotation. Just solid position defense, doesn’t overplay and quickness limits his opponent to get a step and reduces need for slides.

Davis and Rayhill are one of the best short stick combinations we’ve had in a long time IMO. Bozzi, Smith and Box do ok but often seem to give up a step.

Early time out in the first seemed to be a defensive adjustment to pressure out more to limit hands free shots from a good shooting midfield. Great adjustment by Stevens.

While I know Blake got the game winner last week his actual turnovers combined with what seems like low shot percentage are a concern.
I agree that Davis is playing great and Rayhill has been a very solid addition, particularly since he is new playing with a short stick. Disagree on Bozzi, though. Prior to his injury, he was excellent on defense, and terrific clearing the ball and in transition. I think the issue with Box is more size than speed, but still think he is going to be just fine with a little more experience. And while I had thought Smith was lacking a half step in speed, he looked quicker to me today, especially clearing the ball.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

One of the great things about our coaching staff is their willingness to mix and match the various lines, trying different combinations even in closely contested games. We see new faces with significant playing time on a frequent basis. The level of trust the coaches have in non-starters is refreshing and very effective. The Big Red's downfall in 2009 was Coach T's inability to trust the reserves. The starters ran out of gas in the 4th quarter of the NC game after playing a great game for 3 1/2 quarters. That won't happen with this team. The playing time runs deep into the bench. Perhaps the reason why is that Coach Buczek played less than 10 minutes his freshman year and went on to be a three time All American. He knows the feeling of languishing on the bench and believes in his reserves and knows their attributes. He isn't afraid to play a freshman he thinks will contribute to the effort. Freshmen Jack Cascadden, Charlie Box, Matt Dooley, Brian Luzzi and Eddie Rayhill have been significant contributors this season. This bodes well for this season and for the future. Jordan Stevens, of course, shares the credit for this successful philosophy. GO BIG RED!
nms

Post by nms »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:38 pm One of the great things about our coaching staff is their willingness to mix and match the various lines, trying different combinations even in closely contested games. We see new faces with significant playing time on a frequent basis. The level of trust the coaches have in non-starters is refreshing and very effective. The Big Red's downfall in 2009 was Coach T's inability to trust the reserves. The starters ran out of gas in the 4th quarter of the NC game after playing a great game for 3 1/2 quarters. That won't happen with this team. The playing time runs deep into the bench. Perhaps the reason why is that Coach Buczek played less than 10 minutes his freshman year and went on to be a three time All American. He knows the feeling of languishing on the bench and believes in his reserves and knows their attributes. He isn't afraid to play a freshman he thinks will contribute to the effort. Freshmen Jack Cascadden, Charlie Box, Matt Dooley, Brian Luzzi and Eddie Rayhill have been significant contributors this season. This bodes well for this season and for the future. Jordan Stevens, of course, shares the credit for this successful philosophy. GO BIG RED!
Ummm....Staub?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:38 pm One of the great things about our coaching staff is their willingness to mix and match the various lines, trying different combinations even in closely contested games. We see new faces with significant playing time on a frequent basis. The level of trust the coaches have in non-starters is refreshing and very effective. The Big Red's downfall in 2009 was Coach T's inability to trust the reserves. The starters ran out of gas in the 4th quarter of the NC game after playing a great game for 3 1/2 quarters. That won't happen with this team. The playing time runs deep into the bench. Perhaps the reason why is that Coach Buczek played less than 10 minutes his freshman year and went on to be a three time All American. He knows the feeling of languishing on the bench and believes in his reserves and knows their attributes. He isn't afraid to play a freshman he thinks will contribute to the effort. Freshmen Jack Cascadden, Charlie Box, Matt Dooley, Brian Luzzi and Eddie Rayhill have been significant contributors this season. This bodes well for this season and for the future. Jordan Stevens, of course, shares the credit for this successful philosophy. GO BIG RED!
Speaking from experience, one earns playing time during practice. The coaches know who’s ready to play in games by the way they play in practice.

And great coaches work during practice to make more players game-ready.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Adler vs Mackesy should be an extremely interesting match up next week.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

nms wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:09 pm
Ummm....Staub?
Of course Brendan Staub. But he has been a starter from the start. The other guys have worked their way in more gradually. Jack didn't show up on the stat sheet until Lehigh. My point is that prior coaches weren't as willing as Connor & Jordan to try new combos & players. The Big Red is deeper than usual as a result.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”