Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gobigred

Re: Maryland 2022 National Champions

Post by Gobigred »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:13 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am Think he stays at Cornell or gets stolen ?

The money will always be more outside the Ivys, and as a recruiting coach, your options are wider. Tiffany and Tillman are good examples. Great guys, great ivy programs, but eventually….

But I think he’ll stay in Ithaca a while yet. That school gave a very young guy his first chance; he’s loyal. He also has quite the returning cast next year and beyond. Cornell has no worries he’s going anywhere for at least 5 years.
Hockey coach, also a Cornell alumnus, will start his 28th season in Ithaca next fall. Richie is said to have turned down his alma mater. You just don't know.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Gobigred wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:13 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am Think he stays at Cornell or gets stolen ?

The money will always be more outside the Ivys, and as a recruiting coach, your options are wider. Tiffany and Tillman are good examples. Great guys, great ivy programs, but eventually….

But I think he’ll stay in Ithaca a while yet. That school gave a very young guy his first chance; he’s loyal. He also has quite the returning cast next year and beyond. Cornell has no worries he’s going anywhere for at least 5 years.
Hockey coach, also a Cornell alumnus, will start his 28th season in Ithaca next fall. Richie is said to have turned down his alma mater. You just don't know.

The D1 games that intrigue me already for next year are the upstate NY ones: Cornell, Syracuse, Army. Army won that battle this year, beating both going 2-0; Cornell was 1-1; Cuse 0-2.

Next year those games figure to be slugfests. Get your tickets now.

I’d add Hobart but they don’t play Army. They were close to beating both Cornell and Cuse.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:45 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:31 pm Seems like Makar and Puglise deserve credit for being all-time great Terp lacrosse leaders. As great as Jared was as player, he was a quiet leader by example. These dudes are great, vocal and fearless.
I read an article about Makar yesterday, e seems like an excellent guy. The article was written at the beginning of this season I believe, and the gist of it was that the coaches were encouraging Makar to verbalize his leadership more. Which makes it all the more impressive that he became a vocal leader this season because apparently it didn't come naturally to him.
ESPN did a great segment a few weeks ago on Brett and his family. One of his older brothers has autism and is pretty impacted by it. I suspect that some of Brett's trip into the stands to get to his dad had something to do with how that family has really supported each other.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:48 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:31 pm Seems like Makar and Puglise deserve credit for being all-time great Terp lacrosse leaders. As great as Jared was as player, he was a quiet leader by example. These dudes are great, vocal and fearless.
I read an article about Makar yesterday, e seems like an excellent guy. The article was written at the beginning of this season I believe, and the gist of it was that the coaches were encouraging Makar to verbalize his leadership more. Which makes it all the more impressive that he became a vocal leader this season because apparently it didn't come naturally to him.
ESPN did a great segment a few weeks ago on Brett and his family. One of his older brothers has autism and is pretty impacted by it. I suspect that some of Brett's trip into the stands to get to his dad had something to do with how that family has really supported each other.
Just watched a great documentary on this about a guy named Owen Suskind (his dad Ron was a WSJ journalist and author) called Life, animated. Good insight into what a family, including an older brother, has to process with a family member with autism if anyone is so inclined.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:36 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:48 am
Just watched a great documentary on this about a guy named Owen Suskind (his dad Ron was a WSJ journalist and author) called Life, animated. Good insight into what a family, including an older brother, has to process with a family member with autism if anyone is so inclined.
Just watched trailer.....looks amazing.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:34 am
keno in reno wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:38 am Maryland and the B1G need to look at balancing their schedules so their own teams aren't at a competitive disadvantage if they make it to the championship. UVA has it figured out, giving themselves a 2-3 week break before the tournament, They just didnt have other competitive factors this year.

Terps just played 6 high-intensity tournament games in 3 weeks, and it almost cost a historically great team their place in history because they had nothing left in the tank (and Cornell was playing like a championship team in the 4th quarter).

The B1G backloading all their conference games does not help. Putting the 'rivalry games' as the last weekend of the season, right before the tournament, does not help. And the B1G tournament itself seems like a waste of energy right before the real tournament starts. Neither Cornell or Princeton made the Ivy League championship game, and they looked great in the NCAA.

The 2nd final 4 game is a real thing too, but that should be expected. Intense heat on Monday afternoon is normal as well. I just think the B1G does its own teams a disservice by making their own schedule so intense at the end that it could cost their top teams when it matters (Penn State 2019 is a good non-Maryland example).

Great post

+1
+2. Tillman may also consider a tough OOC midweek game in midseason, as Maryland didn’t play any midweek games this year. So they never had short turnaround until the B1G tournament. The ACC’s Thursday night games certainly don’t hurt in terms of prepping the teams for MDW.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

McNaney's last seven games, from the JHU game,

95 saves, 44 goals allowed, 0.683 save percent.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:07 pm McNaney's last seven games, from the JHU game,

As a result of his play, the Terps ended the year, per Lax Ref, ranked #1 in opponent-adjusted offense, defense, face-offs, and goaltending.

I asked Zach who runs Lax Ref if any team had ever done that going back in his database. Nope. He listed a couple of teams but then said "close is also relative."
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:42 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:07 pm McNaney's last seven games, from the JHU game,

As a result of his play, the Terps ended the year, per Lax Ref, ranked #1 in opponent-adjusted offense, defense, face-offs, and goaltending.

I asked Zach who runs Lax Ref if any team had ever done that going back in his database. Nope. He listed a couple of teams but then said "close is also relative."
I saw his tweet - it’s just absurd how good the Terps were in all facets of the game this year.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Maryland fans should be bowing down to Mcananey right now because he's the only reason their over rated "greatest team of all time" didn't get beat. Came in expecting to face a juggernaut, not a team incapable of scoring in 6v6 situations except for a small handful of long range snipes, 1 or 2 of which Ierlan was a half inch away from saving. Only thing that really blew me away was Mcananey in the first half. Against another goalie Cornell would have had 4-5 goals at halftime, possibly more.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Lager wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:25 am Maryland fans should be bowing down to Mcananey right now because he's the only reason their over rated "greatest team of all time" didn't get beat. Came in expecting to face a juggernaut, not a team incapable of scoring in 6v6 situations except for a small handful of long range snipes, 1 or 2 of which Ierlan was a half inch away from saving. Only thing that really blew me away was Mcananey in the first half. Against another goalie Cornell would have had 4-5 goals at halftime, possibly more.
Lol another salty Cornell fan still crying. Man this loss is really taking a toll on you. Feel better sir
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lager wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:25 am Maryland fans should be bowing down to Mcananey right now because he's the only reason their over rated "greatest team of all time" didn't get beat. Came in expecting to face a juggernaut, not a team incapable of scoring in 6v6 situations except for a small handful of long range snipes, 1 or 2 of which Ierlan was a half inch away from saving. Only thing that really blew me away was Mcananey in the first half. Against another goalie Cornell would have had 4-5 goals at halftime, possibly more.
:lol:
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Imagine trying to convince yourself that this team was “over rated” lmao. So much butt hurt.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

You’re confusing lots of saves with good shots. 12/13 of the saves were gum balls because Cornell couldn’t get their hands free.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:02 am
You’re confusing lots of saves with good shots. 12/13 of the saves were gum balls because Cornell couldn’t get their hands free.

Someone posted the McNaney saves on Instagram so I rewatched them. In hindsight, a lot of his saves were actually low off hand, and the shooters were more free than I’d remembered live. Initially I thought Cornell was shooting too many high strong hand side. This guy has extraordinarily quick reflexes. He was, simply put, very locked in the entire weekend.

And yeah, if he came to Hartford with his mind elsewhere and had a poor performance, maybe Cornell wins. You’ll never know. When one part of a team stumbles, teammates recognize that and react. Maybe that’s what elevated his performance in both games…maybe he saw the offense was struggling so he reacted.

A team is a collection of individuals. Losers don’t have the luxury to revel in ‘if not for that one player…’. You play to win or lose. When you lose, a team destined for greatness goes back to the drawing board, just like Tillman did after losing in the 2021 final.
MontgomeryTerp

Post by MontgomeryTerp »

And yet, your team could not beat the overrated team that was basically incapable of scoring in 6v6 situations. The joke is on you. Just focus on the great season your team had and move on.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:28 am

Someone posted the McNaney saves on Instagram so I rewatched them. In hindsight, a lot of his saves were actually low off hand, and the shooters were more free than I’d remembered live. Initially I thought Cornell was shooting too many high strong hand side. This guy has extraordinarily quick reflexes. He was, simply put, very locked in the entire weekend.

And yeah, if he came to Hartford with his mind elsewhere and had a poor performance, maybe Cornell wins. You’ll never know. When one part of a team stumbles, teammates recognize that and react. Maybe that’s what elevated his performance in both games…maybe he saw the offense was struggling so he reacted.

A team is a collection of individuals. Losers don’t have the luxury to revel in ‘if not for that one player…’. You play to win or lose. When you lose, a team destined for greatness goes back to the drawing board, just like Tillman did after losing in the 2021 final.
Agree Peter. I've watched McNaney since high school. Scouting report says and its no secret with coaches that strong side low tends to be weak on McNaney. ( Cornells 7th goal i believe) John Galloway helped him with it years ago. That info came from an Sweetlax article when he was in like 10th grade. Maybe thats what the Cornell shooters were looking to do. Obviously weak side shots away from the stick are preferred. I had to laugh at all the experts bitching about Cornell's poor shooting in the final minutes of the game. My guess in the heat of the battle tired, hearts beating through their chest they shoot to an area the scouting report says to shoot on McNaney, low strong side. Watch enough film you see teams shoot there on him. McNaney once had 16 saves in half in the Senior Under Armor tournament. MVP in that game as well. I am not surprised on how he finished out the year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Great pictures of the guys cutting the net down. It includes one of Benson showing his son how to do it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CeQ5HyjuG1L ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:28 am

Lax goalie is like closer in baseball or kicker in football. The whole rest of the team can relax when they are confident the goalie will come through.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”