NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxxer27

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by laxxer27 »

FCIAC LAX wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am An issue is that once the other leagues announced play, tentative plans for games against NESCAC schools became secondary.
I know that Trinity had some OOC games scheduled for the weekends and it looks like they were able to reschedule to midweek, logistically they could do it.

I wouldn't say NESCAC teams are not looking to play a full schedule, many logistical issues with a shortened season based on 5/8 NESCAC Championship date & NCAA tournament start the next week (NCAA Championship 5/29).

NESCAC has said no overnights, so you will see Wesleyan traveling to Hamilton & ConCo traveling to Colby on the same day to play, these are 4 hour trips before you step on the field.

Certainly a big issue for schools like Colby & Hamilton but I would expect some additional scheduled games before 4/10.
Did they ever allow overnights? I dont recall them ever allowing it unless they came down for a 2 game swing. I think Bates or colby did that a few years back.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I hope they do...5+ hours on a bus before the game is played is not practical.....

on the NESCAC site it shows Conn v Trinity on the schedule for Saturday...Trinity seems to have Endicott tonite and Wentworth on Thurs...not sure why they are the only teams with OOC games. Although the WNE v Conn game got cancelled last minute b/c of cases on the WNE campus - even though there were not cases on the team....
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

FCIAC LAX wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am An issue is that once the other leagues announced play, tentative plans for games against NESCAC schools became secondary.
I know that Trinity had some OOC games scheduled for the weekends and it looks like they were able to reschedule to midweek, logistically they could do it.
I've been told that the NESCAC has asked teams in all spring sports to cancel any out of conference games they have scheduled for AFTER NESCAC play begins on April 10. Any schools hoping to play a few OOC games this season, need to get them in now. I guess it's an exposure / COVID thing trying to limit the chance of exposure by limiting the number of games....creating a form of "bubble" for NESCAC teams?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:16 pm
I've been told that the NESCAC has asked teams in all spring sports to cancel any out of conference games they have scheduled for AFTER NESCAC play begins on April 10. Any schools hoping to play a few OOC games this season, need to get them in now. I guess it's an exposure / COVID thing trying to limit the chance of exposure by limiting the number of games....creating a form of "bubble" for NESCAC teams?
If your Tufts and chasing a Natty then this all could be worth it, but frankly it seems like the overall experience of this season just sucks.
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

If your Tufts and chasing a Natty then this all could be worth it, but frankly it seems like the overall experience of this season just sucks.
[/quote]

A lot of things over the past year have sucked... I think they're happy to be playing.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

UpperCorner wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:26 pm If your Tufts and chasing a Natty then this all could be worth it, but frankly it seems like the overall experience of this season just sucks.
A lot of things over the past year have sucked... I think they're happy to be playing.
[/quote]

I know they are happy to be playing.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind prohibiting OOC games after conference play begins. COVID-19 safety protocols aren't magically more effective on NESCAC campuses than at other schools; they either work for everyone or they work for no one. If an OOC opponent has testing and safety guidelines that match the NESCAC's...what is the scientific or public health basis for excluding them while allowing other schools with identical restrictions to play? Trying not to be cynical about this, but I'm having a hard time finding a logical explanation (I can find plenty of illogical explanations, but again...trying to avoid cynicism).

With that said, every player and coach involved is thankful to be playing at all. These restrictions probably bother internet commenters (ahem) a lot more than they bother the people who are actually impacted.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Yeah, I'm sure they're stoked—all you have to do is look at Colby's Twitter feed to see the excitement. Still a lot of squeeze for very little juice, but if you're dying of thirst I guess even a drop will do. I respect the hell out of these teams, but I don't know that I envy them.
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FCIAC LAX

Post by FCIAC LAX »

laxxer27 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 am

I wouldn't say NESCAC teams are not looking to play a full schedule, many logistical issues with a shortened season based on 5/8 NESCAC Championship date & NCAA tournament start the next week (NCAA Championship 5/29).

NESCAC has said no overnights, so you will see Wesleyan traveling to Hamilton & ConCo traveling to Colby on the same day to play, these are 4 hour trips before you step on the field.

Certainly a big issue for schools like Colby & Hamilton but I would expect some additional scheduled games before 4/10.
Did they ever allow overnights? I dont recall them ever allowing it unless they came down for a 2 game swing. I think Bates or colby did that a few years back.
They travel Friday after classes, stay in a hotel, then travel back after the game; they don't stay over for midweek games. I think it's any trip over 3 hours.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Sad that NESCAC delayed so long to finally release something. My suspicion and what it seems is that they delayed long enough to ensure teams wouldn't be able to compete and a full season wouldn't end up happening. However, them coming out with a statement that they are "in favor of a season and going to make something happen" makes them seem like the good guy. The NESCAC is a disgrace, they could have easily came out with something early February/late January
laxxer27

Post by laxxer27 »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:42 am I hope they do...5+ hours on a bus before the game is played is not practical.....

on the NESCAC site it shows Conn v Trinity on the schedule for Saturday...Trinity seems to have Endicott tonite and Wentworth on Thurs...not sure why they are the only teams with OOC games. Although the WNE v Conn game got cancelled last minute b/c of cases on the WNE campus - even though there were not cases on the team....
Pretty sure that game is off, i believe Trinity plays Union now on Sunday
Dave

Post by Dave »

seems that way to me also...Trinity seems to be the only NESCAC getting it done with scheduling games - good for them. The Endicott game was a competitive contest. Seems like Conn v Trinity is now 4/3. Not sure why Conn is not playing CGA - they are 1/2 mile away....silliness...
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Dave wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:57 pm seems that way to me also...Trinity seems to be the only NESCAC getting it done with scheduling games - good for them. The Endicott game was a competitive contest. Seems like Conn v Trinity is now 4/3. Not sure why Conn is not playing CGA - they are 1/2 mile away....silliness...
The whole damn thing is silliness! Every other conference in the country is playing at both the D1 and D3 levels. High schools throughout the country are playing close to full schedules. But not NESCAC or the Ivies!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Hamilton schedule is up.

4/10 Wesleyan
4/17 Williams
4/24 @Trinity
5/01 @Williams
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 pm
Dave wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:57 pm seems that way to me also...Trinity seems to be the only NESCAC getting it done with scheduling games - good for them. The Endicott game was a competitive contest. Seems like Conn v Trinity is now 4/3. Not sure why Conn is not playing CGA - they are 1/2 mile away....silliness...
The whole damn thing is silliness! Every other conference in the country is playing at both the D1 and D3 levels. High schools throughout the country are playing close to full schedules. But not NESCAC or the Ivies!
Nescac is playing, ivies the only one not playing
ah23

Post by ah23 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 am My suspicion and what it seems is that they delayed long enough to ensure teams wouldn't be able to compete and a full season wouldn't end up happening. However, them coming out with a statement that they are "in favor of a season and going to make something happen" makes them seem like the good guy. The NESCAC is a disgrace, they could have easily came out with something early February/late January
Yep.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

nehslaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 pm
Lax3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 pm
Nescac is playing, ivies the only one not playing
NESCAC is playing what? A six team mini round robin? A number of schools not playing at all? Virtually no out of conference schedule? Might as well play intramurals.
overandback

Post by overandback »

NESCAC nation, be happy you at least have a conference tournament on the schedule. Centennial only has a 7 team round robin with best record awarded the conf title.
We also have strict guidelines that have conspired with bad luck and led to multiple postponements. These can be result of elevated cases generally at an institution or specifically on a team. We have had both varieties. One team has already had 2 of its 6 games postponed.
Good Luck! The protocols are tough to follow and After lots of complaining, sadly, we are getting to point where...
1. We don’t care about attending games - Just want the boys to be able to play.
2. We are happy they scheduled only 6 games so there’s a shot of getting the postponed games back.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

The vulnerable have been vaccinated - why they didn’t let kids get back to a sense of normal on campus is pathetic.

I have a feeling the NESCAC’s will be in pandemic mode for the next few years regardless of the cases and deaths plummeting.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:24 am The vulnerable have been vaccinated - why they didn’t let kids get back to a sense of normal on campus is pathetic.

I have a feeling the NESCAC’s will be in pandemic mode for the next few years regardless of the cases and deaths plummeting.
I've heard that they are considering organized Fall workouts/practices with the coaching staff, which would be new for the NESCAC.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”