Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GreyingHound

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 pm Does anyone know why Wyers was out today? He makes an impact when he’s on the field
From the IL article:

Loyola got a team defensive effort, from its rope unit back to the goalie. Cam Wyers was serving a one-game suspension for a violation of team rules, and Matt Hughes was still recovering from a knee injury. Junior Kyle LeBlanc matched up much of the night against Cole Williams, holding him without a point.
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

i also heard last night Ross Pridemore was also suspended from this game because he violated team rules again. As an proud Loyola alum this upsets me greatly, and I am surprised he is still on this team from some of the stories he has already done at Loyola. Toomey would have tossed guys like these five years or six years ago. I heard Pridemore was brought over from Virginia from Van Arsdale. Sounds like this kid was a been a good amount of trouble already and was suspended for a month in the fall for another issue. Having off field issues Is a major problem for most college teams, so hopefully Toomey can get this figured out quickly.With a young team they don’t need anymore distractions. Is it going to be tough enough. A Challenge to our seniors if you want to continue to win get rid of the dead weight on this team. Don’t tolerate bad dudes who don’t truly care much about one another to make sacrifices that are needed to win. That is the Loyola Way!!!
Last edited by loyolapride2015 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Last I knew Toomey was still the HC, not Van Arsdale. So even if he was brought over or is Van Arsdales guy, this is a HC problem, not an assistant coaches issue..
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 pm Does anyone know why Wyers was out today? He makes an impact when he’s on the field
Where. Hughes and pridemire suspended for violation of team rules. All back for rutgers
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

loyola11 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:04 am
Where. Hughes and pridemire suspended for violation of team rules. All back for rutgers
Wyers
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Great win for the Hounds. Nice to pound the jays...again. Charles Street Massacre indeed!
I wish we could play them a couple times a year. Whatever kids Petro is recruiting- They just don’t match up well against us.
Incredibly proud of this team, their resolve and their response to the UVA game. I like that lots of kids are stepping up. This will pay dividends later in the form of quality depth. Just a reminder that to win a championship you need to play your 2 toughest games of the season, 48 hours apart.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Nice to get that win. Final score not indicative of the actual game. Couple notes now that I've seen the highlights:

Sam Shafer impressive. C'mon, folks...we were all saying how goalie was our biggest concern. This kid stands tall (literally). Way to get at it Sam! And Colton: you are next up kid.,..hang in there...you will be a megastar at goalie in D1. Sam's outlets were sublime!

(We said many times here before - other school fanlax homers refused to acknowledge the obvious): our defense is LOADED. Missing our (arguably) best defender yesterday, our defense was smothering; JHU is not that bad...our defense is just very good. If Wyers had played his normal self against UVA (he didn't; is something up?), and if Hughes was able to play versus UVA, this team would be 2-0, not 1-1. Our defense goes 6 deep...big trusss... Cam: let's go Buddy...we want to see you out there, not on the bench.

Bailey gets better every day he's alive. I knew some backup competition would make this kid even better. Credit to Cottone and Pacheco! Bailey is that much stronger in the wrists and technically, he is already up there with Ierlan.

Offense was great across the board...love seeing Lindley and Olmstead score the first couple! Leadership 101.

Kamish is great at dodging; I'd throttle back on the outside crank shots that found net in Michigan high school and look more to the open man (Lindley) who buries the ball (he had one great one from Joey!). Joey will be fine. Kid has game; keep him in. Make sure he looks more than shoots though after the dodge. Kamish is your next Loyola superstar...bank on it.

By the way, is Kevin Lindley the smartest off-ball mover in D1 history?!?!!? Seriously, his lax IQ is better than anyone I have ever seen.

Olmstead should be AA first team. 'nuff said.

Christ I love Poitras' game! So smart.

Swindell: great bury!! Take those shots all day.

McnUlty: you too, buddy. keep cranking. Your outside heater is better than 95% of all D1 middies, and you're using a long pole!

I love Logan Deveraux's attitude! The whole team's to be honest.

For Hop, I thought this kid Garrett Deignon looked good...Smart hard low shot. How come you never hear of him? (Petro, who looks like he put on another 50 lbs in the offseason, stocks talent that never sees the light of day)

On to Rutgers. Rutgers got smoked by Army, which concerns me more about Army, because Rutgers isn't that bad. Anyway, time to turn the page already and focus on the Scarlet Knights.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Early in 4th qtr Shaffer gets delay of game penalty - Hounds Man Down. Teitelbaum comes in. Defense Holds. Higgins get penalty. Shaffer comes back in. Looks like Railey gets a piece of the ball or stick, turnover picked up by Rezanka. Hounds still man down. Rezanka runs up field and clears the ball to McNulty. McNulty locks in and cranks it. Goal! Game Over. 10-4 Hounds on top. That should've been the final score. Hop gets three cheap ones to make the score closer than it really was.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 am Nice to get that win. Final score not indicative of the actual game. Couple notes now that I've seen the highlights:

Sam Shafer impressive. C'mon, folks...we were all saying how goalie was our biggest concern. This kid stands tall (literally). Way to get at it Sam! And Colton: you are next up kid.,..hang in there...you will be a megastar at goalie in D1. Sam's outlets were sublime!

(We said many times here before - other school fanlax homers refused to acknowledge the obvious): our defense is LOADED. Missing our (arguably) best defender yesterday, our defense was smothering; JHU is not that bad...our defense is just very good. If Wyers had played his normal self against UVA (he didn't; is something up?), and if Hughes was able to play versus UVA, this team would be 2-0, not 1-1. Our defense goes 6 deep...big trusss... Cam: let's go Buddy...we want to see you out there, not on the bench.

Bailey gets better every day he's alive. I knew some backup competition would make this kid even better. Credit to Cottone and Pacheco! Bailey is that much stronger in the wrists and technically, he is already up there with Ierlan.

Offense was great across the board...love seeing Lindley and Olmstead score the first couple! Leadership 101.

Kamish is great at dodging; I'd throttle back on the outside crank shots that found net in Michigan high school and look more to the open man (Lindley) who buries the ball (he had one great one from Joey!). Joey will be fine. Kid has game; keep him in. Make sure he looks more than shoots though after the dodge. Kamish is your next Loyola superstar...bank on it.

By the way, is Kevin Lindley the smartest off-ball mover in D1 history?!?!!? Seriously, his lax IQ is better than anyone I have ever seen.

McnUlty: you too, buddy. keep cranking. Your outside heater is better than 95% of all D1 middies, and you're using a long pole!

For Hop, I thought this kid Garrett Deignon looked good...Smart hard low shot. How come you never hear of him? (Petro, who looks like he put on another 50 lbs in the offseason, stocks talent that never sees the light of day)

On to Rutgers. Rutgers got smoked by Army, which concerns me more about Army, because Rutgers isn't that bad. Anyway, time to turn the page already and focus on the Scarlet Knights.
I struggle with your love of kamish. 0-14 on shots. Just seems to be a warm body out there
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I loved the rotation and depth.

Hounds used 25 Different guys yesterday against jhu. And all contributed.

Most teams use 21-23 in normal games.

We used 25. In a big one. And we had a few who contributed against uva and a few expected contributors still out.

I’ll take a page from Pete’s book- this is the deepest team in the nation. Ever. Of all time!

:lol:

Seriously though. Teitelbaum’s contribution is a great example for this team. If all these young men keep competing (and pushing each other) and picking each other up, every day of the week, this will be a special year. So far, I like what I see.

On to Rutgers. Defend the home turf this year!
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

Guys I love your enthusiasm but let’s pump the breaks on depth!

It was a good effort by Loyola but they still haven’t proven they can run by people at the midfield yet. There are lots of freshmen playing but no one that is really standing out besides Poitras. He is excellent on the wing.

Teitelbaum not saved a shot yet, and Kamish hasn’t scored a goal on 16 shots in two starts. He is not shy to take a shot but the quality is pretty poor right now. Maybe she consider shooting over the top and hitting the cage. He might be more effective as a midfielder against short sticks by the time his career is over.

This team Is extremely dependent on the defense in the goalie play right now as well as tremendous Faceoff play. They are really going to need some other players to step up besides besides Lindley and Olmsted for them to really make any kind of a run against teams like Army and Lehigh. it was a great team win yesterday because it was nothing that really stood out, but just being gritty and Loyola taking advantage of opportunities when they had them.

If this young team can stay out of trouble off the field and continue to focus on getting better each week I’m pretty confident they can win the patriot league championship this year.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

loyola11 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 am Nice to get that win. Final score not indicative of the actual game. Couple notes now that I've seen the highlights:

I struggle with your love of kamish. 0-14 on shots. Just seems to be a warm body out there

What (I believe) you're missing about Joey is the ability to dodge. I'm sure he took the majority of his high school SOG (Michigan...) because he can shake defenders of any caliber and was probably open a ton as a result; he also probably scored a ton because Michigan goalies likely did not present the challenge he needed (I do not know his HS stats, so I'm guessing).

Joey didn't get slower when he stepped onto Ridley's turf; the opposing goalies simply got much better. His shots will fall when he recalibrates his placement; his dodging is good already (speed can not be taught; shooting can).

Once he understands his strengths relative to other college players, the rest of his game will come together. Once he buries a few goals, fuhgeddaboudit.

What we need is what Joey is giving us, the ability to shake a defender. All he needs to do, once free, is feed Lindley, Olmstead, Poitras, Swindell (among others). They'll bury the rock.

I'm telling you, Joey is your next Hounds superstar; Poitras too (and probably Teitlebaum in two years). Give Joey a year of maturity on the field; he will please the RAC fans!

(thatsmell and others: the depth is about the defense, not the rest, though I'd tell you we are deep at attack too; our defense is the envy of any coach out there...6 deep, all day long...let's get to the final four weekend already! :lol: )
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:04 am

What (I believe) you're missing about Joey is the ability to dodge. I'm sure he took the majority of his high school SOG (Michigan...) because he can shake defenders of any caliber and was probably open a ton as a result; he also probably scored a ton because Michigan goalies likely did not present the challenge he needed (I do not know his HS stats, so I'm guessing).

Joey didn't get slower when he stepped onto Ridley's turf; the opposing goalies simply got much better. His shots will fall when he recalibrates his placement; his dodging is good already (speed can not be taught; shooting can).

Once he understands his strengths relative to other college players, the rest of his game will come together. Once he buries a few goals, fuhgeddaboudit.

What we need is what Joey is giving us, the ability to shake a defender. All he needs to do, once free, is feed Lindley, Olmstead, Poitras, Swindell (among others). They'll bury the rock.

I'm telling you, Joey is your next Hounds superstar; Poitras too (and probably Teitlebaum in two years). Give Joey a year of maturity on the field; he will please the RAC fans!

(thatsmell and others: the depth is about the defense, not the rest, though I'd tell you we are deep at attack too; our defense is the envy of any coach out there...6 deep, all day long...let's get to the final four weekend already! :lol: )
this is the one that makes me scratch my head, not in the way to counter your point but its because i looked at who we have coming in at goalie for 2020 and 2021 and they're both top 5- top 10 rated in their positions according to IL. With so many goalies (this year's team has 5 on the roster with only one senior) wouldn't this create a log jam of who starts in goals vs who needs to wait their turn on the bench in the next year-two years?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Having a 4 year starter is a “nice to have,” but not the norm.

Building a pipeline of kids who have a shot at competing for the position as a jr and sr In college is a good thing. Logjam is not the goal, talent and competition is.

Toomey has said and shown before, upperclassman get the first shot. Freshmen will get a shot if the upperclassmen don’t perform.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 am

this is the one that makes me scratch my head, not in the way to counter your point but its because i looked at who we have coming in at goalie for 2020 and 2021 and they're both top 5- top 10 rated in their positions according to IL. With so many goalies (this year's team has 5 on the roster with only one senior) wouldn't this create a log jam of who starts in goals vs who needs to wait their turn on the bench in the next year-two years?

This will be an issue, down the road. But for now, we are looking good at the GK spot. So glad for Sam.

thatsmell is correct as he often is. Teams always aim to have 3 decent D1-ready goalies. Injuries, graduation, play...no spot is guaranteed. Have capable reserves pushing execution from behind. Everyone is better as a result. You’re seeing that now with Bailey.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Savor the win.
One game at a time.
Next Up: Rutgers.
Get prepared.
Execute.
Enjoy the journey - attributed to "That Smell."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 pm Savor the win.
One game at a time.
Next Up: Rutgers.
Get prepared.
Execute.
Enjoy the journey - attributed to "That Smell."

I want to know if Army is that good, or Rutgers not as good as advertised. Rutgers returns a lot of talent from last year. Army lost Barreto and Surdick! No one could have seen this score coming.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Joey is ok, but I don’t understand or see what you are seeing I guess. I have also seen him play before he got to the hounds. In my opinion he is not a strong 3rd stack option. I think he will be a decent player the next 4 years, but if they don’t have some others coming in behind him for the next 4 years that are a little stronger, that would not be a good thing.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

bam1972 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:21 pm

Joey is ok, but I don’t understand or see what you are seeing I guess. I have also seen him play before he got to the hounds. In my opinion he is not a strong 3rd stack option. I think he will be a decent player the next 4 years, but if they don’t have some others coming in behind him for the next 4 years that are a little stronger, that would not be a good thing.
Kamish won't shoot 0 for forever. For a freshman he gets good velocity and can dodge enough to think he will be decent for awhile. Poitras will be an attackman when we need lefty down there so that's a decent start to a unit after Olmstead and Lindley graduate.

Anyway that's for another day. It's nice to see the team inadvertently building long pole depth. The defensive side of that ball should be really good at full strength.

I think the offense just needs to shoot better. Wigley had a ton of looks and went 0 for. Kamish as I said hasn't connected yet. Get up to 30% overall and they'll start to score goals at a 13 a game level that makes everything look better.

Shafer was damn good yesterday. He's stepped up in a big way.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”