Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:17 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 pm Terps bringing in another big transfer. Holden had 20 goals in 5 games this year and 45 goals + 20 assists a year ago for Hobart. Big time scorer at attack https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 0429569035
I really think this means that Bubba will be replace Jared behind the goal. Holden and Brown fill in the midfield quite nicely.
Holden is an attackmen. He's played there his entire career. Doesn't preclude him from moving to midfield, but not like Brown who played midfield for 3 years. And they used Fairman for so much at the midfield this year - played wing on FO's at times, did some defensive midfield - that I don't think they sacrifice that when they have a dodger who can plug in for Jared coming in.
He plays up top, on the wing, and behind the goal.

Without Bernhardt, Fairman is easily the most dynamic player on the offense. The question is where does he make the biggest impact? If he's your most dynamic player, do you only want him on the field 1 out of every 2 (or 2 of every 3) offensive possessions?

Holden, Brown, and Long can all invert against shorties. All three can handle being poled. Holden and Brown can sling it from outside (something the Terps have lacked since Kelly graduated...but Brennan showed some promise). Tillman's whole thing is getting your 6 best players on the field at any time. So who plays where is kind of semantics. The discussion might mean more when the 2nd midfield line is in, which is why I think Bubba takes over that Kelly role of staying on the field all game but moving between up top and down low depending on what other personnel packages are in.

What a great problem for Tills and Rep to have, though, right? So much offensive talent.
Bubba's obviously awesome, but I don't know if he's so clearly the most dynamic player on offense to the point they will sacrifice the other facets of the game they had him involved in, that no one else at the midfield has shown the capability of doing at the same level, to put him down low at attack. Especially when they have a #1 guy at attack already - who you could argue is the best player on the offense as is - and have just added a prime dodger like Holden.

Holden does do lots of dodging above the cage and from the top you're right, so he could play midfield. I'm just not sure that's the direction I see them going.

I think considering the additions of Brown and Holden, we'll likely see a legit 2nd midfield line like we did in 2016 and not what we saw in 2018-19 with Kelly staying on the field all game. Assuming Jared leaves, you could have Maltz-Logan-Holden at attack, and then Brown-Fairman-DeMaio at midfield, which leaves you Brennan and Long, guys with starting experience, and then Smith, who showed some potential, left over. That could be a legit unit that has a shooter in Brennan and a crafty dodger and handler in Long...I think we really could see them contribute and get run as their own unit, it has far more talent than any 2nd midfield the Terps have had since 2016 with Young-Rotanz-Gradinger.

And we haven't even mentioned the three big incoming freshmen who would normally be capable of being immediate contributors as well. Salivating potential on the offensive side next year.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 pm Terps bringing in another big transfer. Holden had 20 goals in 5 games this year and 45 goals + 20 assists a year ago for Hobart. Big time scorer at attack https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 0429569035
Holden looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6z-BN79QgA

It sort of makes one feel that Bernhardt might not be returning.

When Holden came out of high school he was legitimately the best player in Mass. I was shocked that he was headed to Hobart (no disrespect) thought for sure he’d play at a big time program. Think he may have been underrated since he was a public school kid. Definitely a natural attackman, but he has improved his game and is versatile could see him running out of the box.
Holden family bleeds royal purple & orange--through and through...
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ketch wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:10 am
ABClaxfan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 pm
Holden looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6z-BN79QgA

It sort of makes one feel that Bernhardt might not be returning.

When Holden came out of high school he was legitimately the best player in Mass. I was shocked that he was headed to Hobart (no disrespect) thought for sure he’d play at a big time program. Think he may have been underrated since he was a public school kid. Definitely a natural attackman, but he has improved his game and is versatile could see him running out of the box.
If memory serves Holden did play some middie as a freshman. Versatile and dynamic. Great pickup for Maryland. Just made me a big Terp fan
Wow Ketch! Going to the dark side? How can any Hobart guy possibly pull for Maryland?? Other than Tills being a Corning & Cornell guy, they're a different culture!!
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:17 pm
I really think this means that Bubba will be replace Jared behind the goal. Holden and Brown fill in the midfield quite nicely.
Holden is an attackmen. He's played there his entire career. Doesn't preclude him from moving to midfield, but not like Brown who played midfield for 3 years. And they used Fairman for so much at the midfield this year - played wing on FO's at times, did some defensive midfield - that I don't think they sacrifice that when they have a dodger who can plug in for Jared coming in.
He plays up top, on the wing, and behind the goal.

Without Bernhardt, Fairman is easily the most dynamic player on the offense. The question is where does he make the biggest impact? If he's your most dynamic player, do you only want him on the field 1 out of every 2 (or 2 of every 3) offensive possessions?

Holden, Brown, and Long can all invert against shorties. All three can handle being poled. Holden and Brown can sling it from outside (something the Terps have lacked since Kelly graduated...but Brennan showed some promise). Tillman's whole thing is getting your 6 best players on the field at any time. So who plays where is kind of semantics. The discussion might mean more when the 2nd midfield line is in, which is why I think Bubba takes over that Kelly role of staying on the field all game but moving between up top and down low depending on what other personnel packages are in.

What a great problem for Tills and Rep to have, though, right? So much offensive talent.

There is only ONE BALL ! Tills and Rep didn't have this GREAT problem in 2017 and that's why Terps won it all, because that's exactly what this over recruiting/poaching/ soliciting/transferring is..... A PROBLEM!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Back with the squad: Reuniting the 2017 Maryland men’s lacrosse team

The guys are back - Rambo, Heacock, Bernhardt and more
On this episode:

What was the team mindset heading into the 2017 season?
The group reacts to a series of plays from their win over Ohio State in the 2017 National Championship.
How did “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits become the team anthem?
What did the team do to celebrate finally taking home the championship trophy?
The group discusses what it was like to face Ohio State three times in one season.
What makes the rivalry with Johns Hopkins so special?
We end by playing a game of “Most Likely To.”
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 pm When Holden came out of high school he was legitimately the best player in Mass. I was shocked that he was headed to Hobart (no disrespect) thought for sure he’d play at a big time program. Think he may have been underrated since he was a public school kid. Definitely a natural attackman, but he has improved his game and is versatile could see him running out of the box.
Eh, he played for Lincoln Sudbury and Laxachusetts, not like he was at some 200 kid high school west of Worcester.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Wheels wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:22 pm
Henpecked wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 pm Tillman is getting in early tomorrow am to start building a second locker room for the 35 sideline mosh pit cheerleaders (aka high school All-Americans). ;)
I notice a common theme with your posts. Do you also make these kinds of posts in the UNC, UVA, and Duke forums?
Maybe I am wrong but there seems to be a lot more strategic recruiting at UNC, UVA and Duke. And that includes the transfers that they pull from the portal. When UVA needed a FOGO they got Justin Schwenk from Monmouth. UNC did not have a quarterback at attack and were able to bring in Gray last year from BU. Tillman seems to stockpile transfers even in places where he has strengths. You don't see that at UNC, UVA and Duke. You also don't see the amount of AA's transferring out of those schools. Again, I could be wrong, it just seems like he stacks up players to excess.

But I don't really care. The kids have free will to choose where they want to sit on the bench. I could think of worse places. I love College Park.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Henpecked wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:28 am
Henpecked wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 pm Tillman is getting in early tomorrow am to start building a second locker room for the 35 sideline mosh pit cheerleaders (aka high school All-Americans). ;)
I notice a common theme with your posts. Do you also make these kinds of posts in the UNC, UVA, and Duke forums?
Maybe I am wrong but there seems to be a lot more strategic recruiting at UNC, UVA and Duke. And that includes the transfers that they pull from the portal. When UVA needed a FOGO they got Justin Schwenk from Monmouth. UNC did not have a quarterback at attack and were able to bring in Gray last year from BU. Tillman seems to stockpile transfers even in places where he has strengths. You don't see that at UNC, UVA and Duke. You also don't see the amount of AA's transferring out of those schools. Again, I could be wrong, it just seems like he stacks up players to excess.

But I don't really care. The kids have free will to choose where they want to sit on the bench. I could think of worse places. I love College Park.
Was it “strategic” when UVA and UNC both went for Sowers even though UNC had brought in Gray the year prior and UVA already had Moore? Or UVA attempting to bring in Scanlan last year even though they had no spots at attack, already had Dox at midfield and Shellenberger, the #1 recruit in the country coming in? Or does it not count because they just weren’t successful at bringing those guys in?

Coaches try to make their rosters better however they see best fit. That’s what UVA, UNC, and Duke were doing with their transfers and what Maryland is doing here
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:48 am

Was it “strategic” when UVA and UNC both went for Sowers even though UNC had brought in Gray the year prior and UVA already had Moore? Or UVA attempting to bring in Scanlan last year even though they had no spots at attack, already had Dox at midfield and Shellenberger, the #1 recruit in the country coming in? Or does it not count because they just weren’t successful at bringing those guys in?

Coaches try to make their rosters better however they see best fit. That’s what UVA, UNC, and Duke were doing with their transfers and what Maryland is doing here
Every team should have called Sowers because he is the best player in the college game and his all around skillset fits all.

There are differences to the extent of conversations, pursuits and numbers. UVA had a brief convo with Scanlan but Tiffany did not aggressively pursue because of his roster. The number of transfers in recent years to Maryland is quite excessive given the talent that flows into Maryland each year. Let us remember this is a non revenue amateur sport, a top program should be able to build a very competitive team with the top talents that are recruited rather than import in such large numbers. Some will see the number of transfers into Maryland as simply being opportunistic while others will view it as somewhat cannibalistic.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

stupefied wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:42 am

Every team should have called Sowers because he is the best player in the college game and his all around skillset fits all.

There are differences to the extent of conversations, pursuits and numbers. UVA had a brief convo with Scanlan but Tiffany did not aggressively pursue because of his roster. The number of transfers in recent years to Maryland is quite excessive given the talent that flows into Maryland each year. Let us remember this is a non revenue amateur sport, a top program should be able to build a very competitive team with the top talents that are recruited rather than import in such large numbers. Some will see the number of transfers into Maryland as simply being opportunistic while others will view it as somewhat cannibalistic.
If UNC had gotten Sowers, they would have completely remade and changed their team with two players they did not recruit.

Virginia did not have a "brief convo" with Scanlan, they were a finalist for him; Scanlan shortened his list down to 5 teams and Virginia was one of them. They aggressively pursued him, they wanted him, he just went elsewhere.

There's nothing that's more pure or honorable about having players you recruited as opposed to transfers. It's the same thing, bringing in players who you believe can help your program and will make your program and team better. The constant complaints about it are frankly extremely eye rolling.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:52 am
I think considering the additions of Brown and Holden, we'll likely see a legit 2nd midfield line like we did in 2016 and not what we saw in 2018-19 with Kelly staying on the field all game. Assuming Jared leaves, you could have Maltz-Logan-Holden at attack, and then Brown-Fairman-DeMaio at midfield, which leaves you Brennan and Long, guys with starting experience, and then Smith, who showed some potential, left over. That could be a legit unit that has a shooter in Brennan and a crafty dodger and handler in Long...I think we really could see them contribute and get run as their own unit, it has far more talent than any 2nd midfield the Terps have had since 2016 with Young-Rotanz-Gradinger.
Griffin Brown and Eric Holden. both look like right-hand shooters, who are good at creating their shots. Holden had a really big year point-wise last season, but he played attack while Brown was playing midfield. Also, Colgate (Brown) looks like they player a stronger schedule in the PAT league than Hobart (Holden) does in the NEC. It looks like Tillman was looking for a righty shooter to go with Wisnauskas and A.DeMaio on the left.
Assuming Bernhardt doesn't return...
At the moment, I like Maltz, Long, and Wisnauskas at attack. Long has that quick first step and is an outstanding passer. Maltz is really nice around the goal finding high percentage shots. On the first midfield, I like Fairman, A.DeMaio, and G.Brown or Holden, i.e., G.Brown and Holden duel it out for the 3rd spot on the 1st midfield. For the 2nd midfield, perhaps one goes with Brennan, G.Brown or Holden, and a lefty. Jake Smith was holding down the lefty spot this Spring, but will probably have to duel it out with the freshmen Jack Koras and Eric Malever, and even N.DeMaio could challenge here. I still don't totally rule out one of the top freshmen: Koras, Malever or D.Kelly beating the other guys out and starting.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:14 am
Griffin Brown and Eric Holden. both look like right-hand shooters, who are good at creating their shots. Holden had a really big year point-wise last season, but he played attack while Brown was playing midfield. Also, Colgate (Brown) looks like they player a stronger schedule in the PAT league than Hobart (Holden) does in the NEC. It looks like Tillman was looking for a righty shooter to go with Wisnauskas and A.DeMaio on the left.
At the moment, I like Maltz, Long, and Wisnauskas at attack. Long has that quick first step and is an outstanding passer. Maltz is really nice around the goal finding high percentage shots. On the first midfield, I like Fairman, A.DeMaio, and G.Brown or Holden, i.e., G.Brown and Holden duel it out for the 3rd spot on the 1st midfield. For the 2nd midfield, perhaps one goes with Brennan, G.Brown or Holden, and a lefty. Jake Smith was holding down the lefty spot this Spring, but will probably have to duel it out with the freshmen Jack Koras and Eric Malever, and even N.DeMaio could challenge here. I still don't totally rule out one of the top freshmen: Koras, Malever or D.Kelly beating the other guys out and starting.
I like Long a lot and he could certainly push for starting, but I don't know about seeing him start over Holden. You never know, but when you have an elite dodger in the way Holden is, you want that on the field and at attack. And considering Wisnauskas' passing ability and his vision, it's a better fit having a finisher in Maltz, X attackmen in Wisnauskas, and then a shooter and dodger in Holden.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:11 am
stupefied wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:42 am

If UNC had gotten Sowers, they would have completely remade and changed their team with two players they did not recruit.

Virginia did not have a "brief convo" with Scanlan, they were a finalist for him; Scanlan shortened his list down to 5 teams and Virginia was one of them. They aggressively pursued him, they wanted him, he just went elsewhere.

There's nothing that's more pure or honorable about having players you recruited as opposed to transfers. It's the same thing, bringing in players who you believe can help your program and will make your program and team better. The constant complaints about it are frankly extremely eye rolling.
Im rolling my eyes and shaking my head. It is not the same thing by any means, its simply a means to an end. You know nothing of the extent of Scanlan convo with UVA . Takes two to make a list.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:14 am
I am leaning this way also. I will admit I am big fan of Long and without his injury earlier in the season he would have been first Midfield. I do see Bubba staying on the field the whole game but playing midfield similar to Channy and Kelly.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

You can provide a list of impact / contributing transfers for Duke, UVA, UNC and Maryland. It won’t be close. Duke generally (but not always) takes graduate students as does ND.
“I wish you would!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 am
I like Long a lot and he could certainly push for starting, but I don't know about seeing him start over Holden. You never know, but when you have an elite dodger in the way Holden is, you want that on the field and at attack. And considering Wisnauskas' passing ability and his vision, it's a better fit having a finisher in Maltz, X attackmen in Wisnauskas, and then a shooter and dodger in Holden.
Kyle Long has shown he can do it at UMd's level, and is a pretty good dodger, whereas Holden has only done it in the NEC and looks more to be a right-hand finisher than a feeder.

If you play Wisnauskas at the X, it would be to get a lefty finisher on the field like N.DeMaio or Daniel Kelly.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:53 am I do see Bubba staying on the field the whole game but playing midfield similar to Channy and Kelly.
Bubba was struggling with his shooting this year, so unless he gets that back on track, I don't see this happening.
If you were going to do this, why wouldn't you do it with A.DeMaio? A.DeMaio has outscored Bubba the last 2 seasons. Further A.DeMaio rarely gets caught on the defensive end.
Generally, I would feel that the pick up of Holden and Brown tends to show that Tillman is not thinking in this way at the moment.
Live Free or Die!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm
Kyle Long has shown he can do it at UMd's level, and is a pretty good dodger, whereas Holden has only done it in the NEC and looks more to be a right-hand finisher than a feeder.

If you play Wisnauskas at the X, it would be to get a lefty finisher on the field like N.DeMaio or Daniel Kelly.
Both Brown and Holden are fast in open field and can rip. I could see them both being very good mids for Maryland if used there.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Long has tons of potential and looked on his way to a very good season this year, but the evidence that “he can do it at UMD’s level” is 2 games or so in what’s so far been a 21 game career. He deserves to be on the field, but we’re not talking about a full season of proven production yet, which Holden certainly has and you can say “it’s only in the NEC” if you like, but if you watched their game against Cuse this year I think you’d see the dude has the goods to play at that level
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

sounds like maryland has a lot of guys. anyone have any idea whether the uva matchup was at least a 2 year deal?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”