Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:11 pm war criminal William Calley:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/29/us/w ... -dead.html

William L. Calley Jr., who as a young Army lieutenant during the Vietnam War was the only American convicted in the murder of hundreds of unarmed, unresisting Vietnamese civilians in the atrocity known as the My Lai Massacre, died on April 28 in Gainesville, Fla. He was 80.

His death, at a hospice, was confirmed on Monday night by Social Security Administration records. The cause was not publicly disclosed. Family members did not immediately respond to requests for more information. Mr. Calley’s death was first reported by The Washington Post.

Nearly 56 years after the killings of as many as 500 women, children and older men by Americans who attacked with automatic weapons, grenades and bayonets; raped girls and women; mutilated bodies; killed livestock, and burned the village, My Lai (pronounced mee LYE) still reverberates as one of the worst outrages of a brutal and divisive war.

more ...
What a blast from my past. An example of evil, incompetency and attempted coverup. They even tried to coverup his passing in April.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:25 pm

What a blast from my past. An example of evil, incompetency and attempted coverup. They even tried to coverup his passing in April.

I still can't figure out why they tried to keep it a secret. But that's the government for ya ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Chi Chi Rodriguez:

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40 ... ez-dies-88

Juan "Chi Chi" Rodriguez, a Hall of Fame golfer whose antics on the greens and inspiring life story made him among the sport's most popular players during a long professional career, died Thursday. He was 88.

Rodriguez's death was announced by Carmelo Javier Ríos, a senator in Rodriguez's native Puerto Rico. He didn't provide a cause of death.

"Chi Chi Rodriguez's passion for charity and outreach was surpassed only by his incredible talent with a golf club in his hand," PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said in a statement. "A vibrant, colorful personality both on and off the golf course, he will be missed dearly by the PGA Tour and those whose lives he touched in his mission to give back. The PGA Tour sends its deepest condolences to the entire Rodriguez family during this difficult time."

He was born Juan Antonio Rodriguez, the second oldest of six children, in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, when it was blanketed with sugarcane fields and where he helped his father with the harvest as a child. The area is now a dense urban landscape, part of San Juan, the capital of the U.S. island territory.

Rodriguez said he learned to play golf by hitting tin cans with a guava tree stick and then found work as a caddie. He said he could shoot a 67 by age 12, according to a biography provided by the Chi Chi Rodriguez Management Group in Stow, Ohio.

He served in the U.S. Army from 1955 to 1957 and joined the PGA Tour in 1960, winning eight times during his 21-year career and playing on one Ryder Cup team.

The first of his eight tour victories came in 1963, when he won the Denver Open. He followed it up with two the next year and continued through 1979 with the Tallahassee Open. He had 22 victories on the Champions Tour from 1985 to 2002 and had total combined career earnings of more than $7.6 million. He was inducted into the PGA World Golf Hall of Fame in 1992.

Rodriguez was perhaps best known for fairway antics that included twirling his club like a sword, sometimes referred to as his "matador routine," or doing a celebratory dance, often with a shuffling salsa step, after making a birdie putt. He often imitated fellow players in what he insisted was meant as good-natured fun.

He was hospitalized in October 1998 after experiencing chest pains and reluctantly agreed to see a doctor, who told him he was having a heart attack.

"It scared me for the first time," Rodriguez recalled in a 1999 interview with The Associated Press. "Jim Anderson [his pilot] drove me to the hospital, and a team of doctors were waiting to operate. If I had waited another 10 minutes, the doctor said I would have needed a heart transplant.

"They call it the widow-maker," he said. "About 50 percent of the people who get this kind of heart attack die. So I beat the odds pretty good."

After his recovery, he returned to competition for a couple of years but phased out his professional career and devoted more of his time to community and charity activities, such as the Chi Chi Rodriguez Youth Foundation, a charity based in Clearwater, Florida, founded in 1979.

In recent years, he spent most of his time in Puerto Rico, where he was a partner in a golf community project that struggled amid the recession and housing crisis, hosted a talk show on a local radio station for several years and appeared at various sporting and other events.

He showed up at the 2008 Puerto Rico Open and strolled through the grounds in a black leather coat and dark sunglasses, shaking hands and posing for pictures but playing no golf. "I didn't want to take a spot away from young men trying to make a living," he said.

Rodriguez is survived by his wife of nearly 60 years, Iwalani, and her daughter from a previous marriage, Donnette.

Funny and fun loving guy:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.wamSL1YuS ... ImgDetMain
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kevin Sullivan:

the Task Master ~ one of pro wrestling's genuine tough guys

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... d-wrestler

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Famous Amos:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wally ... c939&ei=25

Another fun loving guy. Those cookies he made were beyond all manner of awesomeness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Greg Kihn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEY4L8j_pEU

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/artic ... 659327.php

Greg Kihn, the Bay Area rock musician behind the 1980s hits “Jeopardy” and “The Breakup Song,” died on Tuesday of Alzheimer’s, according to a statement shared on his official website. He was 75.

Kihn grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, but his career took off when he moved to the Bay Area in the ’70s and signed to Berkeley’s Beserkley Records. With the backing of his Greg Kihn Band, he churned out albums of catchy power pop with titles like “Next of Kihn,” “RocKihnRoll” and “Kihntinued,” eventually scoring national recognition with “The Breakup Song” in 1981, which peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Kihn penned his biggest hit, “Jeopardy,” two years later. The bouncy, pop rock number reached the second spot on the Hot 100 and topped the Billboard dance chart. The “Jeopardy” music video received regular airplay on MTV, and “Weird Al” Yankovic even parodied the track with “I Lost on Jeopardy,” which features a cameo from Kihn himself in the music video.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

legendary dirt racer Scott Bloomquist:

https://nypost.com/2024/08/16/sports/ra ... ane-crash/

Racing icon Scott Bloomquist was killed in a plane crash near his home in Mooresburg, Tenn. on Friday morning, multiple outlets reported.

Bloomquist was reportedly flying the airplane when a “small aircraft crash” transpired around 7:15 a.m. ET.

The 60-year-old was one of the better-regarded racers in history, being inducted into the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame in 2002.

Bloomquist’s storied career included prevailing three times in the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, eight times in the Dirt Late Model Dream Series and four times in the World 100.

On top of that, Bloomquist won the 2004 World of Outlaws Late Model Series and was named 2006 RPM Racing News Driver of the Year.

Tributes poured in across social media to honor Bloomquist and his impact on the sport.

Despite many health problems, he persisted in racing.

I don't believe dirt racing is all that popular here on fanlax. But it really is cool. Sprints, modifieds, midgets, all really cool stuff. There are several channels on youtube that present it all Summer long.

Here's a very fond tribute by Kenny Wallace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWRWonSf7XI

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It's been a bad day. Now we lost Afa of the Wild Samoans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSok2HjgSpo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... ngNewsSerp

WWE Hall of Famer Afa Anoa’i Sr., one half of the ‘Wild Samoans’ tag team, has died, his son announced Friday. He was 81.

Afa was part of the legendary tag team with his brother, Sika, in the 1970s and 80s. Sika, who was the father of current WWE superstar Roman Reigns, died in late June.

“It is with deepest regret that we announce the passing of my father Afa Anoa’i Sr.,” his son Samu Anoa’i said in a Facebook post. “It was a peaceful transition and he was surrounded by loved ones. Please respect our privacy as we morn our father.”

Afa Anoa’i Sr. had been facing health issues in recent months, having suffered two heart attacks in January, according to a post on X by his daughter Vale Anoa’i.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w500/7ac1hl0 ... YNwC51.jpg

The pro wrestling legend had a major tie to the Lehigh Valley. He moved to the area in 1986 and ran the former Wild Samoan Training Center, with locations in Allentown and Hazleton. The centers closed during the pandemic.

In a 1998 interview with The Morning Call, Anoa’i Sr. described the secret to teaching his craft to young students.

“I teach them how to fall without getting hurt,” Anoa’i Sr. said. “Their heart has to be in it, or they’re better off working at McDonald’s.”

In that interview, Anoa’i Sr. said he also saw the training as a way to get youths off the street.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The world of Outlaw racing loses another giant of the dirt track ~ Eloy Gutierrez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfMOmvvGVrM

https://www.speedsport.com/sprints-midg ... gutierrez/

He had great passion for the sport.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Psycho Sid Vicious:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1650752/si ... es-age-63/

Former WWE star Sid Vicious has died at the age of 63. Vicious, real name Sid Eudy, was a multi-time world champion in both WCW and WWE. His son, Gunnar Eudy, announced his death on social media on Monday; the news was later confirmed by PWInsider's Mike Johnson.

"In Memory of My Father, Sid Eudy. Dear friends and family, I am deeply saddened to share that my father, Sid Eudy, has passed away after battling cancer for several years," Gunnar wrote on Facebook. "He was a man of strength, kindness, and love, and his presence will be greatly missed. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we grieve this loss. Details for a memorial service will be shared soon.Thank you for your support."

Debuting in 1987, Eudy became best known for his runs in WCW, where he worked as Sid Vicious, and WWE, where he worked as Sid Justice and Sycho Sid. Going back and forth between both promotions through the 1990s and early 2000s, Eudy would become a two-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion and two-time WWE Champion. He would headline WrestleMania VIII 1992 and WrestleMania XIII in 1997, where he lost to Hulk Hogan and The Undertaker, respectively, and the final WCW Starrcade in 2000, where he lost a WCW World Championship match to Scott Steiner. 

Eudy's career largely ended in 2001 when he suffered a broken leg while wrestling Steiner, though he would later return to the ring for a handful of matches between 2004 and 2012. His final match took place in August 2017, at an independent show in Canada.

Read More: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1650752/si ... es-age-63/

Genuine tough guy. Will be sorely missed.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

More sad news in the world of pro wrestling:

EL Vilano V (the Villian) - son of the original Vilano:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1653693/vi ... endoza-jr/

Sonny King:

Former tag team Champ who held that Championship belt with Chief Strongbow.

So sad to lose these greats.

Brooklyn

James Earl Jones

Post by Brooklyn »

What an incredible sequence as Professor Mann makes that very moving speech. Very touching as he is backed up by the ghosts and shadows of those baseball greats. Never to be forgotten.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Loved everything this man touched in film, what an Icon.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:05 am Loved everything this man touched in film, what an Icon.
Agree - immense talent and a mesmerizing and Iconic voice.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
44WeWantMore

Re: James Earl Jones

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:51 pm Image

What an incredible sequence as Professor Mann makes that very moving speech. Very touching as he is backed up by the ghosts and shadows of those baseball greats. Never to be forgotten.
Your last image is also number one on this list of 10 Iconic Performances.
If there was any justice in Hollywood, Jones would’ve received an Oscar nomination for “Field of Dreams,” and he would’ve won. It’s his performance that gives the movie its heart and heft.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

If there was any justice in Hollywood, Jones would’ve received an Oscar nomination for “Field of Dreams,” and he would’ve won. It’s his performance that gives the movie its heart and heft.

njbill

Post by njbill »

Got curious so I looked it up. Jones didn’t get nominated, but if he had, I imagine it would’ve been for best supporting actor. Wasn’t in the movie enough to be in the best actor category. Denzel Washington won for best supporting actor for his role in Glory that year.

Field of Dreams was nominated for best picture, but lost to Driving Miss Daisy.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:17 am Got curious so I looked it up. Jones didn’t get nominated, but if he had, I imagine it would’ve been for best supporting actor. Wasn’t in the movie enough to be in the best actor category. Denzel Washington won for best supporting actor for his role in Glory that year.

Field of Dreams was nominated for best picture, but lost to Driving Miss Daisy.
I was always surprised he didn't win Best Actor in 1970 for his performance as heavyweight boxer Jack Johnson in The Great White Hope. He won a Tony for the same role in Broadway play of the same name/story.

Interstingly, his first film role was as bombardier Lothar Zogg in Stanley Kubrick's 1964 classic Dr. Strangelove
njbill

Post by njbill »

I heard once that every time CNN used his “this is CNN,“ he got paid. Don’t know how much. If true, that was one shrewd agent he had.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”