Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:10 am
lorin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:38 am
stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:55 am Spallina will represent #22 well on and off field.
IMO Maryland has the right approach earn it.

I think this was a HUGE mistake on Gait's and the University's part. It doesn't matter if Spallina proves to be the best player on 'Cuse this year and the next four years, it doesn't even matter if he works out at 5 am every day harder than any other player on the team, it doesn't even matter if the perception is he's the most mature kid as a freshman on a team with 40+ recruits...what matters is earning the jersey; you don't earn the jersey playing at Mt. Sinai High School, you earn it playing for Syracuse, and to my knowledge, Spallina hasn't actually played a minute of a regular season game yet for the Orange.

You can look at this only two ways: either Gait had so little regard for every upperclassman that he thought an unproven but heralded freshman should get #22 instead (that ought to do wonders to get the upperclassmen enthused... :roll:), or Spallina's dad insisted that Joey get the # in order to follow through on his commitment. Other than that, nothing here makes sense.

I thought the Scanlan episode would have taught the school a thing or two, but I guess not. I am not a fan of this move at all. It has far more percentages of a downside choice than not. If for any reason Spallina fails to live up to hype, either with personal production or the team's W-L, this one move could set the university back a long while in lacrosse.

Earn the jersey, don't have it gift-wrapped for you just because you did well playing high school ball on Long Island. A total slap to every 'Cuse upperclassman who's ground it out the last many years in a tough environment.
Welcome aboard.
Relax, Finster, you're getting your nuts all twisted up over nothing. That number lost what it used to mean long ago and it was no doings of G. Gait that had anything to do with that. Couple of multiple choice trivia questions for you: 1. In what year of his college lacrosse playing days did Mikey Powell earn the #22? How 'bout Casey? A-Freshman, B-Sophomore, C-Junior, D-Senior.
How many games for the Cuse did Cody Jamieson play before being awarded #22? A-0, B-5, C-12, D-22.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:58 am
stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:55 am Spallina will represent #22 well on and off field.

I think this was a HUGE mistake on Gait's and the University's part. It doesn't matter if Spallina proves to be the best player on 'Cuse this year and the next four years, it doesn't even matter if he works out at 5 am every day harder than any other player on the team, it doesn't even matter if the perception is he's the most mature kid as a freshman on a team with 40+ recruits...what matters is earning the jersey; you don't earn the jersey playing at Mt. Sinai High School, you earn it playing for Syracuse, and to my knowledge, Spallina hasn't actually played a minute of a regular season game yet for the Orange.

You can look at this only two ways: either Gait had so little regard for every upperclassman that he thought an unproven but heralded freshman should get #22 instead (that ought to do wonders to get the upperclassmen enthused... :roll:), or Spallina's dad insisted that Joey get the # in order to follow through on his commitment. Other than that, nothing here makes sense.

I thought the Scanlan episode would have taught the school a thing or two, but I guess not. I am not a fan of this move at all. It has far more percentages of a downside choice than not. If for any reason Spallina fails to live up to hype, either with personal production or the team's W-L, this one move could set the university back a long while in lacrosse.

Earn the jersey, don't have it gift-wrapped for you just because you did well playing high school ball on Long Island. A total slap to every 'Cuse upperclassman who's ground it out the last many years in a tough environment.
Welcome aboard.
Relax, Finster, you're getting your nuts all twisted up over nothing. That number lost what it used to mean long ago and it was no doings of G. Gait that had anything to do with that. Couple of multiple choice trivia questions for you: 1. In what year of his college lacrosse playing days did Mikey Powell earn the #22? How 'bout Casey? A-Freshman, B-Sophomore, C-Junior, D-Senior.
How many games for the Cuse did Cody Jamieson play before being awarded #22? A-0, B-5, C-12, D-22.
Dmac, happy new year. Glad to see you are already in mid-season form.

If Syracuses incoming monster class can blend with the studs you already have, Syracuse will be a very scary team to play this year.
Good luck on the upcoming season.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

It's always a good day when joewillie resurfaces, happy new year to you too.
I think the potential is there but we'll have to wait and see. Am going to the
Catamounts-Orange game, will of course throw my two cents out there after
the game.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

If the jersey has any value, it should go to a deserving upperclassman who has distinguished himself. Otherwise the shirt does not have the respect of the wearer's teammates let alone the rest of the lacrosse world. Recruits don't hunger to play for a team that chooses a high school celebrity for the 22.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

sholokov2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:45 pm If the jersey has any value, it should go to a deserving upperclassman who has distinguished himself. Otherwise the shirt does not have the respect of the wearer's teammates let alone the rest of the lacrosse world. Recruits don't hunger to play for a team that chooses a high school celebrity for the 22.
Gait should wear it over his suit until someone can take it off him!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 pm
sholokov2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:45 pm If the jersey has any value, it should go to a deserving upperclassman who has distinguished himself. Otherwise the shirt does not have the respect of the wearer's teammates let alone the rest of the lacrosse world. Recruits don't hunger to play for a team that chooses a high school celebrity for the 22.
Gait should wear it over his suit until someone can take it off him!
That jersey would be pretty stretched these days. Though Coach Gait could probably still play against the kids.
Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

Any Intel on the scrimmage? Freshman? Faceoff? Goalie?
LaxFactor

Post by LaxFactor »

Cuse was up by 5 or 6 at the half is what I'm seeing in the other forum. Mark looked good in cage, defense looked solid. After they started working guys in Michigan got back in it. But by all accounts, much better look for Cuse than last season. Near opposite. Doesn't mean much but it's better than hearing that they got rocked and Hiltz was hurt like last year.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Welcome aboard.

I think the university's motivation and external reasons for both Powell (his brothers) and Jamieson (native Indian) were and are different/more honorable, than giving the 22 jersey to a kid from Long Island simply because he was really good in high school.

Spallina may eventually become the greatest Syracuse player ever to wear the uniform, I don't know. I'll still reject the premise as to how and why he got #22 before stepping on the field as a freshman and I'll stand by that statement even if he pours in 10 on Saturday versus the Catamounts.

It would have been far better for everyone involved to let him play at least ONE year, if not two, before we annointed him the greatest ever (which if we are being honest, is exactly what this jersey now means). And incidentally, the #22 is not simply about skill, but about leadership, which makes this choice even worse in my opinion.

In any event, like everything else these days, I'm sure this will be water under the bridge wthin a month, unless... What occurred with Scanlan a few years ago should have been a warning to the coaches here to throtle back on the preliminary annointing.

If you look at Maryland with Makar, a kid who should have gone to 'Cuse given his Yorktown roots, that kid is a total baller who ground it out for four years, and was rewarded with #1. That imo seems to be the better way to go.

Anyway, start of season, and let's see how this team plays. I'm certainly predicting a better squad this year, regardless of my petty jersey annoyances.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Finster wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:22 pm

Welcome aboard.

I think the university's motivation and external reasons for both Powell (his brothers) and Jamieson (native Indian) were and are different/more honorable, than giving the 22 jersey to a kid from Long Island simply because he was really good in high school.

Spallina may eventually become the greatest Syracuse player ever to wear the uniform, I don't know. I'll still reject the premise as to how and why he got #22 before stepping on the field as a freshman and I'll stand by that statement even if he pours in 10 on Saturday versus the Catamounts.

It would have been far better for everyone involved to let him play at least ONE year, if not two, before we annointed him the greatest ever (which if we are being honest, is exactly what this jersey now means). And incidentally, the #22 is not simply about skill, but about leadership, which makes this choice even worse in my opinion.

In any event, like everything else these days, I'm sure this will be water under the bridge wthin a month, unless... What occurred with Scanlan a few years ago should have been a warning to the coaches here to throtle back on the preliminary annointing.

If you look at Maryland with Makar, a kid who should have gone to 'Cuse given his Yorktown roots, that kid is a total baller who ground it out for four years, and was rewarded with #1. That imo seems to be the better way to go.

Anyway, start of season, and let's see how this team plays. I'm certainly predicting a better squad this year, regardless of my petty jersey annoyances.
You are spot on my friend, many agree with you
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Welcome aboard.

wow. that is some ranting. what does the bold mean, that is --- how is the university involved? the 22 jersey, which by the way i consider kind of silly in its talking points and emphasis (see: me commenting on it), has been given to freshmen since gait like... all the time! it wouldn't even be "a jersey" maybe if it hadn't been picked up by freshmen over time. lockwood, powell, powell, hardy. even r. powell would've had it 4 years if he were born 2 years later. what if those guys all didn't get it as freshmen and wanted to keep their own #? then you wouldn't even be able to be upset that a freshman from long island has it.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 pm

Welcome aboard.

wow. that is some ranting. what does the bold mean, that is --- how is the university involved? the 22 jersey, which by the way i consider kind of silly in its talking points and emphasis (see: me commenting on it), has been given to freshmen since gait like... all the time! it wouldn't even be "a jersey" maybe if it hadn't been picked up by freshmen over time. lockwood, powell, powell, hardy. even r. powell would've had it 4 years if he were born 2 years later. what if those guys all didn't get it as freshmen and wanted to keep their own #? then you wouldn't even be able to be upset that a freshman from long island has it.
Can you believe we gave the sacred holy and beautiful number 22 to Dan freaking Hardy as a freshman? We gift wrapped it with a bow on top! He did not even get a chance to EARN THE JERSEY. You think you can just earn such a precious jewel of a number by playing lacrosse at Tully highschool? In a rural area??? If we let him EARN 22 then he would have won nattys in 4 out of 4 years instead of 2 out of 4. Surely his father was involved and Desko didn't want an old fashioned country asz whoopin. Darn Desko's lack of regard for upper classmen. Cost us 2 nattys for sure.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote
Were they more honorable when they gave it to a local Cuse kid because he was really good in HS?
How 'bout they give these projected super stars Gary's freshman number and if they live up to expectations
give them his So, Jr, Sr number?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Antonio114 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:54 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 pm

Welcome aboard.

Can you believe we gave the sacred holy and beautiful number 22 to Dan freaking Hardy as a freshman? We gift wrapped it with a bow on top! He did not even get a chance to EARN THE JERSEY. You think you can just earn such a precious jewel of a number by playing lacrosse at Tully highschool? In a rural area??? If we let him EARN 22 then he would have won nattys in 4 out of 4 years instead of 2 out of 4. Surely his father was involved and Desko didn't want an old fashioned country asz whoopin. Darn Desko's lack of regard for upper classmen. Cost us 2 nattys for sure.
HAHA Antonio! But you've got it wrong...it wasn't Danny's father, it was Tom; Desko's always been afraid of Tom Hardy!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”