All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

youthathletics

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:52 am I get a daily email with COVID updates, here are two from this mornings. Sadly, the hyperlinks, to specific articles, are not active. I think that you can subscribe here:
https://www.newamerica.org/internationa ... ily-brief/
(Yes, New America is a left leaning shop, but for the most part these are science based)

Individuals With Type A Blood May Be at Higher Risk for Severe COVID-19; Those With Type O at Lower Risk

A new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine confirmed that blood type may increase a person’s susceptibility to severe COVID-19. Researchers who looked at the “genes of thousands of patients in Europe found that those who had Type A blood were more likely to have severe disease while those with Type O were less likely” (CBS News). The study looked at 1,980 individuals from seven hospitals in Italy and Spain, in addition to “835 patients and 1255 control participants from Italy and 775 patients and 950 control participants from Spain were included in the final analysis” (New England Journal of Medicine). Variations in six genes were found to impact the chances of someone progressing to severe COVID-19, as well as specific blood types. Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research chief Mary Horowitz said that of the four blood groups–A, B, AB, O–people with O are more likely to “recognize certain proteins as foreign, and that may extend to proteins on virus surfaces,” reports CBS News.

In an earlier brief, we noted that geneticists have been looking at human DNA to see if there are genetic predispositions to SARS-CoV-2 infection, and a new preprint manuscript out of Europe indicates there’s a “strong statistical link between genetic variations and Covid-19.” Researchers found two indicators that could increase infection, one of which is blood type. “Type A blood was linked to a 50 percent increase in the likelihood that a patient would need to get oxygen or to go on a ventilator” (NYT). 23andMe Inc. identified a “difference in a gene that influences a person’s blood type [that] can affect a person’s susceptibility to Covid-19,” reports Bloomberg. Results from 23andMe’s 750,000 participants found that “type O blood is especially protective against SARS-CoV-2.” Included in the 750,000 were 10,000 participants who identified that they tested positive for COVID-19. Type O blood makes an individual nine to 18 percent “less likely than individuals with other blood types to have tested positive for the virus.” There was little variance between other non-O blood types and an individual’s susceptibility to the coronavirus and subsequent disease.

Antibodies to Coronavirus May Start to Decline 2-3 Months After Infection, but Immunity May Continue Longer, Suggest Two New Studies in Nature

As scientists continue to investigate the body’s immune response to the coronavirus, in the search to determine the hallmarks of COVID-19 immunity and how long it might last, two new studies provide additional pieces of the puzzle, while highlighting the need for further research. Antibodies to the coronavirus start to decrease within two to three months after infection, scientists in China found after studying 74 COVID-19 patients, half of whom were symptomatic and half asymptomatic (Nature Medicine). However, even low levels of certain antibodies may be enough to neutralize the virus. In a separate study on 149 recovered COVID-19 patients, researchers found that their plasma had “rare but recurring” antibodies “with potent antiviral activity” that bound to the coronavirus’s spike protein, “suggesting that a vaccine designed to elicit such antibodies could be broadly effective” (Nature). Moreover, antibodies are not the whole story of immunity. The immune response includes T cells, which can destroy the virus by killing virus-infected cells, and, in people who have been infected, memory B cells can rapidly produce antibodies again if the body re-encounters the same virus (NYT).

As we’ve noted in previous briefs, infectious disease experts have theorized what immunity from the coronavirus might look like, and how long it will last, but they “still don’t know what potpourri of antibodies, cells, and other markers in a person’s blood will signify that protection,” writes STAT. Both of these studies point to a picture where antibodies to the coronavirus may not last as long in the body as antibodies to the other coronaviruses that cause severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), which can last for a year or longer. “These reports highlight the need to develop strong vaccines, because immunity that develops naturally during infection is suboptimal and short-lived in most people,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a viral immunologist at Yale University, commenting on the two studies to the New York Times, adding “We cannot rely on natural infection to achieve herd immunity.”
Since O- can give to all and O+ can give to all positives there must be some commonality between them that will be useful in research.

I am o+ and give double reds 2-3 times a year
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

CU88 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pm Maybe time to change the name of this thread to "Florida CoronaVirus"?
Latest news from the sunshine state:
Florida’s COVID-19 spike continues with 3,822 new reported cases, shattering previous record
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... us-record/

Where's PB to tell us how great Florida is doing??? For some mysterious reason he doesn't post on this thread any more ...
njbill

Post by njbill »

Pete is too busy right now. He’s obsessed these days about convicted felon, Roger Stone, the guy who threatened to murder a federal judge.

Seems like it was a war crime or something for Matt Whitaker to send a few cops to arrest him for violent crimes when he had multiple weapons in his house.

Instead Pete thinks Whitaker should have sent the local meter maid or, better yet, simply told Stone he could turn himself in whenever it was convenient for him. Or whenever he was finished his meeting with the Russians.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Comparing covid-19 to other leading causes of death in the US:

https://infogram.com/1p6klxed3qzgrjb5yg ... pb3nmvvlw3

Click the play button in the lower left.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Clemson football practices becoming “super spreader” events:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... st-testing
ggait

Post by ggait »

That is why college and pro sports probably can’t resume yet.

The players are young and healthy and at low risk of getting seriously ill.

But how can you hold to a hardwired season schedule when a significant chunk of your roster keeps disappearing for two week quarantines? The amount of Covid downtime added to normal injuries makes it pretty impractical.

Hard to play football or hoops via Zoom call or while wearing masks.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:26 pm
CU88 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pm Maybe time to change the name of this thread to "Florida CoronaVirus"?
Latest news from the sunshine state:
Florida’s COVID-19 spike continues with 3,822 new reported cases, shattering previous record
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... us-record/

Where's PB to tell us how great Florida is doing??? For some mysterious reason he doesn't post on this thread any more ...

I actually don’t read this thread much nor Orange Duce etc. Both sound like Democrats chanting in unison.

Anyway, hospitalizations are normal in spite of any ‘spike’.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/despi ... d-to-worry

Again, If you look past attempts to fear monger by the media and Democrats (I repeat myself!), the numbers suggest that while there has been more exposure, it is encouraging to see less hospitalizations, and points to more people being asymptomatic, especially at younger age demographics.

But please retreat into your bubbles.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

we'll see how that post ages too.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 am
holmes435 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am
Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am Italy added about 4100 new cases yesterday:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

The US is up to 9,486 cases, with 157 deaths. Daily new cases is listed at about 2900.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 7,500 persons die in the United States every day; and that 99% of all COVID cases in the US are classified as 'mild'.

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 1700 persons die in Italy every day; and that yesterday 475 died from COVID there.

Here are some eye opening graphs about the deaths in the US. When do you think that death rate is is going to peak or even start to slow down?

You have a fair point, but my reading of this virus is Italy has a unique situation on its hands, an older/heavy/out-of-shape smoking population.
How did this post age?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:58 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 am Promising?

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/03/19 ... rus-898988

azithromycin in combo with hydroxychloroquine 100% cure rate in 6 days

Two readily available abundant drugs already in use and safe for humans.

Plus hydroxychloroquine is a preventative.

Please, no positive commentary here. We are trying to destroy Trump!

:lol:
+100 so true. :lol:
So the epidemic is over. No problems, we got it beat and we can all go home. Gotcha. :lol:

Oh were life so simple that the anti-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to fillet Trump 24/7, how lovely our conversations would be.
This one too.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 pm We’re the worst at this.
But this one held up...
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:35 pm we'll see how that post ages too.
It's aged like milk in the few minutes it's been up.

Daily Hospitalizations have been trending upward since about 2 weeks after full opening.

Luckily deaths have remained flat as we continue to get better at fighting this thing. And there are plenty of beds for the sick for now.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/06/ ... us-battle/

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Fingers crossed.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:37 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 am
holmes435 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am
Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am Italy added about 4100 new cases yesterday:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

The US is up to 9,486 cases, with 157 deaths. Daily new cases is listed at about 2900.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 7,500 persons die in the United States every day; and that 99% of all COVID cases in the US are classified as 'mild'.

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 1700 persons die in Italy every day; and that yesterday 475 died from COVID there.

Here are some eye opening graphs about the deaths in the US. When do you think that death rate is is going to peak or even start to slow down?

You have a fair point, but my reading of this virus is Italy has a unique situation on its hands, an older/heavy/out-of-shape smoking population.
How did this post age?

Very well. Why?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:39 pm

So the epidemic is over. No problems, we got it beat and we can all go home. Gotcha. :lol:

Oh were life so simple that the anti-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to fillet Trump 24/7, how lovely our conversations would be.
This one too.

This post aged perfectly as well. This thread (supposedly as a thread on a virus) is not much more than Orange Duce #2.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:43 pm

This one too.

This post aged perfectly as well. This thread (supposedly as a thread on a virus) is not much more than Orange Duce #2.
OIf liberal democrat governors hadn't enforced steps that killed 10's of thousands of seniors in nursing homes our numbers would be so much better.

But you kids stay in your homes for the foreseeable future quivering over a virus that adversely affects less than 1% of the population.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:46 pm

This one too.

OIf liberal democrat governors hadn't enforced steps that killed 10's of thousands of seniors in nursing homes our numbers would be so much better.

But you kids stay in your homes for the foreseeable future quivering over a virus that adversely affects less than 1% of the population.

I don’t know if Democrats are sincerely but moronically scared about a virus which statistically can never kill them let alone sideline them for two weeks, or if they’re just so anti Trump they will do anything to hobble the economy.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Point made, idiots abound.

This Republican is not statistically immune, nor is my wife or sister or either brother in law, much less my mother or mother-in-law. Almost all Republicans.

Even my 26 year old son is not immune, nor my nieces and nephews. All Democrats. That said, their motivation to avoid contracting has been more for the benefit of their family than themselves, I realize an alien concept for some knuckleheads.

Thankfully, we've all been careful and avoided it, while in the meantime the medical responses have gotten much better. Every month that goes by this should improve further, meanwhile we're all (R's and D's alike) working (except the grandmas) with the exception of my basement dweller Trumpist who is nevertheless getting paid to stay in the basement by the NSA contractor. He's playing with his super computers, burning my electricity. ahh well.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:29 pm Point made, idiots abound.

This Republican is not statistically immune, nor is my wife or sister or either brother in law, much less my mother or mother-in-law. Almost all Republicans.

Even my 26 year old son is not immune, nor my nieces and nephews. All Democrats. That said, their motivation to avoid contracting has been more for the benefit of their family than themselves, I realize an alien concept for some knuckleheads.

Thankfully, we've all been careful and avoided it, while in the meantime the medical responses have gotten much better. Every month that goes by this should improve further, meanwhile we're all (R's and D's alike) working (except the grandmas) with the exception of my basement dweller Trumpist who is nevertheless getting paid to stay in the basement by the NSA contractor. He's playing with his super computers, burning my electricity. ahh well.
Stats showing more promise: https://twitter.com/ethicalskeptic/stat ... 63137?s=21

Still haven’t seen a spike in cities/states that were protesting for the past 4 weeks. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I believe MD said we should know by now when we brought up this concern 4 weeks ago.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:49 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:46 pm

This one too.

I don’t know if Democrats are sincerely but moronically scared about a virus which statistically can never kill them let alone sideline them for two weeks, or if they’re just so anti Trump they will do anything to hobble the economy.
You should be banned from this forum. I don’t think anyone who belittles the death of 120,000 Americans and over 460,000 people worldwide really belongs here.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”