CAA 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Colonial Athletic Association 2021

Post by faircornell »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:31 pm Hens really haven’t had any issues with the Tigers
today,
I hate to say it because the 1st game was tremendous,

the Hens may have found another gear.

12-4 Q4.
I believe that they have. These types of late season games are where Coach D's teams tend to excell or crumble. I'd vote for the "another gear" analysis.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:40 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:31 pm Hens really haven’t had any issues with the Tigers
today,
I hate to say it because the 1st game was tremendous,

the Hens may have found another gear.

12-4 Q4.
I believe that they have. These types of late season games are where Coach D's teams tend to excell or crumble. I'd vote for the "another gear" analysis.
Another chance to feature another gear on Friday
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

I hofstra mathematically eliminated?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CAA
Delaware (9 - 2) 6 - 1
Drexel (7 - 2) 5 - 2
UMass (4 - 4) 4 - 3
Hofstra (6 - 5) 3 - 4
Towson (6 - 7) 3 - 4
Hofstra against Fairfield next game.
Tigers against Drexel next.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Mayhem ensues if Delaware beats UMass, Towson beats Drexel and Hofstra beats Fairfield. Three way tie for third place with Hofstra, UMass and Towson all at 4-4.

Figure out those tie breakers! :D

I don’t think that’ll happen. I think Towson is done. They showed nothing on Saturday at home. But we’ll see. You’ve probably heard of Lazarus or Michael Myers.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

hofpride wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 am I hofstra mathematically eliminated?
I believe if Towson wins Hofstra is out no matter what they do based on tiebreaker. If they both lose I'm not sure who gets tiebreaker. Obviously if Hofstra wins and Towson loses Hofstra is in.

Clear as mud.
UDLaxFan

Post by UDLaxFan »

Man I would love if the CAA announced what the tie breaking scenarios are. Has UD clinched the 1 seed? And what will be used to determine who gets in it Towson, UMass, and Hofstra all finish at 4-4?

Also, is it crazy to say the Drexel or Delaware could get an at large bid? If the two teams win their regular season finales and make it to the conference championship, does the loser have a good enough resume to sneak into the tournament?
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Delaware looked great Saturday. Towson was worst effort all year. Can someone explain the logic of not playing kitchen behind. How did that work out. Play a zone if that’s the case. Del dominated in every aspect of game. All that said I would bet Towson gives much better effort against Drexel. Win and in. They hold tie breaker over Hofstra and U mass. Also they get in with 3 way tie. Hope to get 4 seed and rematch with Del.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

I think the favorites next weekend have to be Delaware, Drexel and Hofstra, although the Dutch will have to work hard to beat Fairfield.

Tierney has struggled against the better defenders in the CAA, averaging just 1.67 G and 1.5 A in six games vs UMass, Towson, Delaware and Drexel. He did have 5G and 1A vs. Fairfield, so that should give Hofstra fans some hope, but the Dutch have to cut down on penalties and turnovers.

4/30 UMass at Delaware
4/30 Fairfield at Hofstra
5/1 Drexel at Towson
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

hofstra has a new school president , what direction do the athletic programs go .? - go div 3 , raise academic standards , go amherst , tufts , bates , etc?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

hofpride wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:17 pm hofstra has a new school president , what direction do the athletic programs go .? - go div 3 , raise academic standards , go amherst , tufts , bates , etc?
Who was the last program to drop down from D1 to D3? This just isn’t a thing that happens. And yet it gets brought up on here with a diff program like once a month. So weird.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Looking way way ahead,
there are some great 5th year seniors this year,
but what about next year,

again some really top 5 year experience seniors
potentially coming back,
Taylor Strough
Fairfield

Ryan Genord
Drexel

Aidan Coll
Drexel

Kevin Tobin
Massachusetts

Chris Connolly
Massachusetts

James Philbin
Hofstra

Riley Forte
Hofstra

Tim Montgomery
Towson

Koby Smith
Towson

Mark Bieda
Delaware

Brian Herber
Hofstra

Shane Brennan
Towson

Bobby Casey
Hofstra

Sean Quinn
Drexel

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If they all return I like Drexel’s 5th years best though koby Smith is probably worth 2.5 average D1 startwrs
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

If they all decide to return for a fifth year, I suspect that not all will return to their current schools. Koby Smith, Sean Quinn and Brian Herber will probably have their picks of grad schools anywhere they want to play next year. I hope they all do return to the CAA, but in the age of free agency that is highly doubtful.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Nassaufan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:14 pm I think the favorites next weekend have to be Delaware, Drexel and Hofstra, although the Dutch will have to work hard to beat Fairfield.

Tierney has struggled against the better defenders in the CAA, averaging just 1.67 G and 1.5 A in six games vs UMass, Towson, Delaware and Drexel. He did have 5G and 1A vs. Fairfield, so that should give Hofstra fans some hope, but the Dutch have to cut down on penalties and turnovers.

4/30 UMass at Delaware
4/30 Fairfield at Hofstra
5/1 Drexel at Towson
I agree with your assessment of this upcoming week. Hofstra should handle the Stags and Drexel should be able to hold off a desperate Towson squad. Not too sure about the Hens and UMass. Delaware has nothing to play for Friday evening at home. They have secured the first seed, which by the way, means nothing. Their national ranking means nothing because no team from the CAA is getting an at-large bid. And if the Hens win this game, they may need to play UMass again the following week in the first round of the CAA tourney. Is DeLuca going to go all out to win this game? I have no idea.

Btw, Hofstra really does need to cut down on stupid penalties. Especially, the ridiculous frustration penalties. I know I have said this before, but it is insane that Tierney, as an attackman, leads his team in penalties for the third straight season. He has 9 minutes of penalties this year and any other coach, would not be putting up with that garbage. It's the same penalty every single time. He gets stripped of the ball and then goes absolutely bananas cross-checking and slashing defenders all the way to the midfield line (and sometimes over). The good news for the Pride is that they kill penalties better than any other CAA squad in conference games (78%).

We shall see how this week shapes up. This is certainly not going out on a limb, but I do believe the seeding will end up 1.Delaware 2. Drexel 3. UMass 4. Hofstra

But it is the CAA, so anything is possible. Can't wait.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

If Umass beats Delaware, Hofstra beats Fairfield, Towson beats Drexel, what would that look like? Towson and Hofstra split the season series?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

With just one conference game left in the regular season, thought it would be interesting to take another look at CAA Conference-only stats to see how things are progressing for each team.

Faceoffs
Hofstra .651
UMass .546
Delaware .510
FF .453
Drexel .451
Towson .391

Goals per game
Delaware 14.86
UMass 13.00
Drexel 12.29
Hofstra 10.57
Towson 9.71
Fairfield 9.71

Team Shooting %
UMass .360
Delaware .333
Drexel .281
FF .276
Hofstra .269
Towson .264

Caused Turnovers Per Game
UMass 8.57
Towson 8.43
Drexel 8.0
Delaware 7.29
FF 7.14
Hofstra 6.57

Individual Goals Per Game
Robinson (Del) 3.29
Kitchen (Del) 3.29
Kurtz (Del) 2.57
Coll (Drexel) 2.57
Procyk (Umass) 2.43
Acchione, Cam (Del) 2.29
Strough (FF) 2.17
Arrant (UMass) 2.14
Tierney (Hof) 2.14
McLean, Brody (Tow) 2.00

Individual Points Per Game
Kitchen (Del) 5.71
Kurtz (Del) 5.29
Robinson (Del) 4.14
Beckwith (FF) 3.87
Tierney (Hof) 3.57
Coll (Drexel) 3.43
Donnelly (Drexel) 3.29
Tobin, Kevin (UMass) 3.14
Procyk (UMass) 3.00
Avanzato (Towson) 3.00

Save % /Goals Against
Knote (Umass) .532/10.45
Kilkeary (Del) .519/10.87
Brennan (Towson) .513/10.66
Blumenthal (Drexel) .479/11.00
Consoli (FF) .465/15.94
Casey (Hof) .465/10.90

Tough to make any assessments or predictions based on these stats.
If I had to sum up every team:
  • Drexel is very athletic with perhaps the best balance of offense/defense.
  • Delaware has the deepest and scariest offense and improving defense.
  • Fairfield has a not-so-great defense mixed with a proficient offense.
  • Hofstra has really athletic midfielders with lots interchangeable parts along with the best pure shooter in the conference.
  • Towson has a dynamic defense with a gifted goalie. They create mayhem in the middle of the field (games can get ugly).
  • UMass has a great defense and the best goalie in the CAA. Relies heavily on Kevin Tobin to get things started on offense.
Tough to say what is going to happen in two weeks. Anyone can win this thing. Still have no idea who is even going to be in the CAA tourney yet except for Drexel and Delaware. Regardless of who the other two teams are, it's gonna be on two-day knife fight on the Island. Hope to be there.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm If they all return I like Drexel’s 5th years best though -
Koby Smith is probably worth 2.5 average D1 starters
Koby Smith has a difficult decision.
A lot of schools will be standing in line for his services,
I don’t know how close he is to graduation.

Or does he stay, good incoming classes the last two,
and a top top faceoff man inbound for next year, if
Brennan stays on as well, Chop Gallagher back, Milani
a good 1st/2nd year.
Colby Barz, Mo Sillah, Koby Smith, Garrett Zungailia,
Shane Brennan could be a top five in the nation close defense.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CAA MEN'S LACROSSE WEEKLY AWARDS - APRIL 27
CAA Announces Weekly Awards – April 27
RICHMOND, Va. (April 27, 2021) – Massachusetts senior attack Kevin Tobin is this week’s Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Men’s Lacrosse Player of the Week, and Delaware freshman midfielder Cam Acchione is the CAA Rookie of the Week.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Kevin Tobin, UMass
Senior | Midfield/Attack | Reading, Mass./Reading
Kevin Tobin posted a career-high nine points on three goals and six assists during the 21-14 UMass victory at Fairfield on Saturday. Tobin’s nine points are the most by a UMass player since Kyle Smith had nine against Delaware in 2013. Tobin eclipsed 100 career points during the game, the 44th all-time UMass player in triple digits. Tobin had a hand in four consecutive UMass goals that turned a 8-7 lead into a 12-7 margin as he scored once and dished out three assists in that span and added four more points in the fourth quarter when UMass put the game away.

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Cam Acchione, Delaware
Freshman | Midfield | Barrie, Ont. Canada/The Hill Academy
Cam Acchione scored a career-high five goals and shot 100% from the field in a 16-8 CAA road win over Towson on Saturday. It was the most goals scored by a Delaware freshman this season and Acchione’s third collegiate hat trick. This marks the third time this season he has earned CAA Men’s Lacrosse Rookie of the Week honors.
Two of the games were solid defensive efforts.
CAA could just as well have picked out a defensive player
for this week’s awards, Blumenthal and Kilkeary with
12 and 13 saves respectively in the weekend games.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Tickets to the CAA MLAX Championship at Hofstra are now on sale:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/4/27/ti ... e-now.aspx

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”