Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:36 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:56 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 am Nice gratuitous jab at NJBill? I still lament the departure of one of the most informed, well-spoken posters we had on this small board.
I wouldn’t say it was a jab at njbill so much as an inside joke, in addition to connecting him with other irrational opinions about Charlotte North.

For the record, I miss him too. I got along fine with Jersey Bill until I called him out on his North stance toward the end of his time here. But let’s all be real, shall we? He was anything but informed or well-spoken when it came to assessing Charlotte North. He went to ridiculous lengths to discredit her performance and accomplishments.

And seacoaster—if you were more fair and unbiased in your finger wagging it would carry more weight with me. But you are very selective in those you call out on this board.

Why are you never heard from when others make gratuitous remarks? Sexist comments that denigrate women, insensitive remarks about mental illness (which you have been guilty of) or even slanderous remarks—nary a whisper is heard from you. But by golly you’re always Johnny-on-the-spot when I say something that you deem improper.

You obviously fancy yourself a kind of moral compass on this board. I think your instrument is due for a recalibration.
And you were doing so well…
Oh Boy.... :roll:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:36 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:56 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 am Nice gratuitous jab at NJBill? I still lament the departure of one of the most informed, well-spoken posters we had on this small board.
I wouldn’t say it was a jab at njbill so much as an inside joke, in addition to connecting him with other irrational opinions about Charlotte North.

For the record, I miss him too. I got along fine with Jersey Bill until I called him out on his North stance toward the end of his time here. But let’s all be real, shall we? He was anything but informed or well-spoken when it came to assessing Charlotte North. He went to ridiculous lengths to discredit her performance and accomplishments.

And seacoaster—if you were more fair and unbiased in your finger wagging it would carry more weight with me. But you are very selective in those you call out on this board.

Why are you never heard from when others make gratuitous remarks? Sexist comments that denigrate women, insensitive remarks about mental illness (which you have been guilty of) or even slanderous remarks—nary a whisper is heard from you. But by golly you’re always Johnny-on-the-spot when I say something that you deem improper.

You obviously fancy yourself a kind of moral compass on this board. I think your instrument is due for a recalibration.
And you were doing so well…
That’s a disingenuous crack. It was only days ago when you came at me for doing anything but. Keep grinding that axe, PA—for whatever pleasure you get from it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I’ve come to the long overdue conclusion that responding to finger wagging nana’s is a complete and utter—to say nothing of terminally tedious—waste of time.

As TL was wont to say:

That is all.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Opener wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:02 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:44 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:39 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:28 am
tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:19 am
Lax247 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:08 pm Wow. After watching a fall scrimmage, I expected a very powerful BC team, but this is remarkable stuff. They have now beaten two top 25 teams by a combined score of 40-14. CN has as many goals personally as their two opponents have combined. Hall seemed like the biggest question mark coming into this season, with BC supporters wondering if she could build on her UNC performance in the playoffs. Wonder no more. So far she is off to a great start. It is hard not to look past the next six games to the showdown with Carolina in Chestnut Hill on March 20.
Takeaways from this post:
UMass average team at best . Top 25…after first 12-14th ranked teams - very average ….after 20…come on
North…still shooting and scoring goals in blowout 3rd quarter ? Not even trying to assist teamates ? Just rubs me the wrong way. I’m sure my opinion is not shared by anyone else. That’s ok. I understand women’s lacrosse is only about scoring now, not assists, ride, ground balls…. Our coaches take out starters before halftime typically so others can play.
I share your opinion. And it's not sour grapes, ONW, it's 35 years of playing, coaching and raising lacrosse players and forming my own view on how players/teams should handle a blowout. I also rolled my eyes at CW at UNC trying a hot dog btb (going for her 4th) with 6 minutes left in Furman blowout.

I just like it more when these players score a much needed goal in an important contest against an equal opponent. Those are the fun goals to watch.

And I miss NJBill as well, that man knew his stuff.
I agree with everything you say here regarding the comportment of a team and its players in a blowout.
Starters should not even be in the game in the 4th quarter in a blowout win. If they are in the game they should be in a supportive role and not be the ones scoring the 20th + goal in a blowout. It just does not sit right with me. Use your benches more effectively.
seems like leaving starters in is a fairly consistent phenomena across the top teams.
some are worse than others..........
Bart is right. Please don't be hating on CN and AWW when everyone is doing this. I don't like this approach better than anyone else here, but the best coaches in the world are behind it, so I have to defer to them. Here are a few examples from this year already:

* Jamie Biskup scored her 6th goal of the game for UVA in the fourth quarter of a blowout 18-5 win over Cal.

* Caitlyn Wurzburger scored in the fourth quarter in a 20-7 UNC win over Furman.

* Erin Coykendall scored her sixth goal of the game in the fourth quarter in a 24-13 win over Marquette.

* Sam Swart scored a man-up goal late in the fourth quarter to give Syracuse a 22-5 lead over Binghamton.

* (Cover your eyes for this one, Doc.) Since Loyola hasn’t played yet this year – Livy Rosenzweig scored her fifth goal of the game late in the second half of an 18-6 win over Nova in early March last year.

Again, I disagree with this approach for many reasons, but show me a blowout win and I will show you a starter scoring late in the game these days. Although I disagree with leaving these folks in the game (see Dylan Molloy costing Brown a legit 2016 national championship chance by staying in during garbage time), I think there is an exception for early season contests. Even the top teams are trying to get themselves tested in true games rather than practice simulations. Swart scoring on man-up may be a good example of that rationale.

Where I take exception to this line of criticism is when one player is singled out. Hate the play, not the players.

And FTR, I also wish that NJBill was still on these boards. He was a fun and knowledgeable sparring partner, even though he went too far too often in his criticism of CN last year. No one tunes into sports radio to hear two hosts agree all the time. A little bit of controversy generates the dozens of clicks we have here.
Well said (and researched) per usual, CO. Good to see you putting some chalk on the board.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:39 am Starters should not even be in the game in the 4th quarter in a blowout win. If they are in the game they should be in a supportive role and not be the ones scoring the 20th + goal in a blowout. It just does not sit right with me. Use your benches more effectively.
Was going to mention this as well. I agree that it can be beneficial to keep a few starters on the field in a supporting role, particularly on defense.

As far as the CN criticism being sour grapes or not - I think being named the best at anything is going to lead to more attention, more scrutiny, and more criticism.
McSpazatron

Post by McSpazatron »

All teams and players are doing what they think is best for them. If it is to put up ungodly numbers so be it. If it is to have serious goal differentials in wins to maintain rankings so be it. I don't agree with some of the motivations but then again I am not on the field and I am not coaching.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I don't agree that the best coaches need be immune to critique, nor the best players.

That said, it's important to be aware that there may well be considerations about which the casual observer, or even the informed viewer, is largely unaware.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:45 pm That said, it's important to be aware that there may well be considerations about which the casual observer, or even the informed viewer, is largely unaware.
OK I'll bite......Like?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:45 pm That said, it's important to be aware that there may well be considerations about which the casual observer, or even the informed viewer, is largely unaware.
OK I'll bite......Like?
Some have been mentioned above.
Program or individual "success" defined by stats for instance.
This is an unfortunate fact.

Which doesn't mean that these motivations are admirable, but they are indeed understandable.

When "we" measure and reward based on numbers we're going to get more of what we measure and reward.

I too don't like it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:57 pm
OK I'll bite......Like?
Some have been mentioned above.
Program or individual "success" defined by stats for instance.
This is an unfortunate fact.

Which doesn't mean that these motivations are admirable, but they are indeed understandable.

When "we" measure and reward based on numbers we're going to get more of what we measure and reward.

I too don't like it.
Thanks for clarifying.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Can Opener wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:02 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:44 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:39 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:28 am
tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:19 am
Lax247 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:08 pm Wow. After watching a fall scrimmage, I expected a very powerful BC team, but this is remarkable stuff. They have now beaten two top 25 teams by a combined score of 40-14. CN has as many goals personally as their two opponents have combined. Hall seemed like the biggest question mark coming into this season, with BC supporters wondering if she could build on her UNC performance in the playoffs. Wonder no more. So far she is off to a great start. It is hard not to look past the next six games to the showdown with Carolina in Chestnut Hill on March 20.
Takeaways from this post:
UMass average team at best . Top 25…after first 12-14th ranked teams - very average ….after 20…come on
North…still shooting and scoring goals in blowout 3rd quarter ? Not even trying to assist teamates ? Just rubs me the wrong way. I’m sure my opinion is not shared by anyone else. That’s ok. I understand women’s lacrosse is only about scoring now, not assists, ride, ground balls…. Our coaches take out starters before halftime typically so others can play.
I share your opinion. And it's not sour grapes, ONW, it's 35 years of playing, coaching and raising lacrosse players and forming my own view on how players/teams should handle a blowout. I also rolled my eyes at CW at UNC trying a hot dog btb (going for her 4th) with 6 minutes left in Furman blowout.

I just like it more when these players score a much needed goal in an important contest against an equal opponent. Those are the fun goals to watch.

And I miss NJBill as well, that man knew his stuff.
I agree with everything you say here regarding the comportment of a team and its players in a blowout.
Starters should not even be in the game in the 4th quarter in a blowout win. If they are in the game they should be in a supportive role and not be the ones scoring the 20th + goal in a blowout. It just does not sit right with me. Use your benches more effectively.
seems like leaving starters in is a fairly consistent phenomena across the top teams.
some are worse than others..........
Bart is right. Please don't be hating on CN and AWW when everyone is doing this. I don't like this approach better than anyone else here, but the best coaches in the world are behind it, so I have to defer to them. Here are a few examples from this year already:

* Jamie Biskup scored her 6th goal of the game for UVA in the fourth quarter of a blowout 18-5 win over Cal.

* Caitlyn Wurzburger scored in the fourth quarter in a 20-7 UNC win over Furman.

* Erin Coykendall scored her sixth goal of the game in the fourth quarter in a 24-13 win over Marquette.

* Sam Swart scored a man-up goal late in the fourth quarter to give Syracuse a 22-5 lead over Binghamton.

* (Cover your eyes for this one, Doc.) Since Loyola hasn’t played yet this year – Livy Rosenzweig scored her fifth goal of the game late in the second half of an 18-6 win over Nova in early March last year.

Again, I disagree with this approach for many reasons, but show me a blowout win and I will show you a starter scoring late in the game these days. Although I disagree with leaving these folks in the game (see Dylan Molloy costing Brown a legit 2016 national championship chance by staying in during garbage time), I think there is an exception for early season contests. Even the top teams are trying to get themselves tested in true games rather than practice simulations. Swart scoring on man-up may be a good example of that rationale.

Where I take exception to this line of criticism is when one player is singled out. Hate the play, not the players.

And FTR, I also wish that NJBill was still on these boards. He was a fun and knowledgeable sparring partner, even though he went too far too often in his criticism of CN last year. No one tunes into sports radio to hear two hosts agree all the time. A little bit of controversy generates the dozens of clicks we have here.
Well said (and researched) per usual, CO. Good to see you putting some chalk on the board.
I'll add another one - Jenn Madjid scored BC's 22nd and final goal of the game deep into the 4th quarter unassisted. Why are starters in so late in blowout wins? And I agree with my comment even when it's the teams I am rooting for.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brownlax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:31 pm I'll add another one - Jenn Medjid scored BC's 22nd and final goal of the game deep into the 4th quarter unassisted. Why are starters in so late in blowout wins? And I agree with my comment even when it's the teams I am rooting for.
What would be some of the reasons if you had to guess?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

In fairness every middie and attack starter was out of the UMass game in the 3rd quarter including their star players. Believe their starting defense left the game about the same time. Medjid was the only one left in and I'm not sure why. Either she was mistakenly left in or she was left in to work with the younger players. Agree it would look better if she had an assist and not an unassisted goal. Also remember that BC only has a 30 person roster.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:37 pm
Brownlax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:31 pm I'll add another one - Jenn Medjid scored BC's 22nd and final goal of the game deep into the 4th quarter unassisted. Why are starters in so late in blowout wins? And I agree with my comment even when it's the teams I am rooting for.
I know this topic has come up before but I can’t remember if any of the coaches or former coaches who frequent this site have weighed in. If you fit that description, would you mind giving your opinion? I’m sure all of us would be most appreciative. It would be much more satisfying rather than this endless guessing and kvetching. Whaddaya say, Coach?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:35 pm
I know this topic has come up before but I can’t remember if any of the coaches or former coaches who frequent this site have weighed in. If you fit that description, would you mind giving your opinion? I’m sure all of us would be most appreciative. It would be much more satisfying rather than this endless guessing and kvetching. Whaddaya say, Coach?
There used to be an "unwritten rule" that you stopped scoring at 19 goals in blowout wins. Today, teams blow through 20 goals in blowouts no problem.

As a coach, I would not let my starters score any points at the end of a blow out win. It's important to get your 2nd and 3rd stringers into the game and let them play - let them score - let them take advantage of playing time. It makes ZERO sense to me to have your starters scoring late meaningless goals only to pad stats.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:23 pm In fairness every middie and attack starter was out of the UMass game in the 3rd quarter including their star players. Believe their starting defense left the game about the same time. Medjid was the only one left in and I'm not sure why. Either she was mistakenly left in or she was left in to work with the younger players. Agree it would look better if she had an assist and not an unassisted goal. Also remember that BC only has a 30 person roster.
End of 3rd quarter. For clarification :)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:41 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:35 pm
There used to be an "unwritten rule" that you stopped scoring at 19 goals in blowout wins. Today, teams blow through 20 goals in blowouts no problem.

As a coach, I would not let my starters score any points at the end of a blow out win. It's important to get your 2nd and 3rd stringers into the game and let them play - let them score - let them take advantage of playing time. It makes ZERO sense to me to have your starters scoring late meaningless goals only to pad stats.
That is exactly what I have said here a number of times. Your 2nd team is an ankle/knee away from being your starters. They need the reps. Keeping some starters in for high level continuity is fine, but like you said, tell them not to score...
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland trolling Ginny

Too funny. They’ll have to remember that when chances come around...😉

Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justalaxdad

Re: Maryland trolling Ginny

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:47 pm Too funny. They’ll have to remember that when chances come around...😉

To the victors goes the spoils. Wonder what the MD tweet after the second period was…
OuttaNowhereWregget

Is it any wonder...?

...that the Twerps get trolled? Last night, the Maryland Terrapins Twitter account tweeted this obvious goad toward Virginia by substituting one of the Cavaliers nicknames (Hoos) for the word who. Then after the game the USA Lacrosse magazine Twitter account, which former Maryland great Taylor Cummings submits articles for, tweeted this premature announcement that the Twerps were back. Nope--no surprise to me. They bring it on themselves.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”