23 UMass 58% 15 32
24 Loyola 46% 17 30
25 High Point 54% 34 16
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Typical Lax Dad

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:38 pm Brown climbed over Jacksonville, Ohio State, Yale and Virginia this week….
Three convincing top 10 wins in a row will do that. (although they did not jump Virginia)
I moved them up but not that far but I am systematic.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:38 pm Brown climbed over Jacksonville, Ohio State, Yale and Virginia this week….
Three convincing top 10 wins in a row will do that. (although they did not jump Virginia)
The only other teams with three top 10 RPI wins are Maryland (3) and Princeton (4). I get that you are probably not using RPI in your evaluations, but what is it that you think is holding them back behind teams with less impressive wins? The # of losses? The loss to UMass?
Typical Lax Dad

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm
The only other teams with three top 10 RPI wins are Maryland (3) and Princeton (4). I get that you are probably not using RPI in your evaluations, but what is it that you think is holding them back behind teams with less impressive wins? The # of losses? The loss to UMass?
Just not sure the teams ahead of them have done enough to fall behind them. Another win and they will keep moving up in my poll. I did jump them over OSU and Penn. Maybe I had them too low last week?
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 pm Virginia has no top 10 (or even top 12) RPI wins and 3 losses (including to a team in the bottom of the top 20). I guess everyone is counting on another overachieving playoff run. Hard to bet against that given past performance, but that's a big if. RPI has them at 7 which seems a bit high based on their results, but teams are pretty closely stacked around those numbers.
I don't get people ranking Virginia so high as well. However, it is pretty hard to rank any school after Maryland and Georgetown. The Ivy league is so confusing to rank. I always rank most recent performance over early season wins, which I hope everyone else does too since we are ranking the teams this week and not how they stacked up in March.

If Virginia gets fully healthy, they can definitely go on a run and are probably the top ACC team, which will get a NCAA bracket path to be a final four team.

I think the NCAA will try to build a bracket that favor one B1G, one ACC, and two Ivies in the final four this year. And Georgetown will need to beat one of the Ivies or an ACC team to get to the finals. Rutgers will need to beat an Ivy to get to the final four. Virginia would be my beat to be the ACC final four team.
Baducchi

Post by Baducchi »

Princeton. Don't forget Princeton...
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Baducchi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:51 pm Princeton. Don't forget Princeton...
Princeton will be a very tough out in the NCAAs. If they can win the Ivy League they have a good shot at the #2 seed.

What gives me doubt about them is the potential for their defense to give up big numbers (20 versus Penn and 19 versus Harvard).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm
Princeton will be a very tough out in the NCAAs. If they can win the Ivy League they have a good shot at the #2 seed.

What gives me doubt about them is the potential for their defense to give up big numbers (20 versus Penn and 19 versus Harvard).
That was the one team I wanted to see in the NCAAs,
that 2020 Michael Sowers team.
So then, judging by this year, they must have been a bit
more than just Michael Sowers.
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:11 am
rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm

That was the one team I wanted to see in the NCAAs,
that 2020 Michael Sowers team.
So then, judging by this year, they must have been a bit
more than just Michael Sowers.
I told this to anyone who would listen. Something like 16/17 of the 2020 game day rotation players returned in 2022. Best SSDM is out with injury though. He’s missed.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm
rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 pm Virginia has no top 10 (or even top 12) RPI wins and 3 losses (including to a team in the bottom of the top 20). I guess everyone is counting on another overachieving playoff run. Hard to bet against that given past performance, but that's a big if. RPI has them at 7 which seems a bit high based on their results, but teams are pretty closely stacked around those numbers.
I don't get people ranking Virginia so high as well. However, it is pretty hard to rank any school after Maryland and Georgetown. The Ivy league is so confusing to rank. I always rank most recent performance over early season wins, which I hope everyone else does too since we are ranking the teams this week and not how they stacked up in March.
Hard to rank Virginia as a top team based on accomplishments.
DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm If Virginia gets fully healthy, they can definitely go on a run and are probably the top ACC team, which will get a NCAA bracket path to be a final four team.
Even if fully healthy, this Virginia team has been erratic. Going back to the preseason, they got waxed by Canada and played well against USA.
DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm I think the NCAA will try to build a bracket that favor one B1G, one ACC, and two Ivies in the final four this year. And Georgetown will need to beat one of the Ivies or an ACC team to get to the finals. Rutgers will need to beat an Ivy to get to the final four. Virginia would be my beat to be the ACC final four team.
Depending how the bracket shakes out, there is a legitimate chance Maryland could be favored over the field based on Massey ratings. Almost any way the committee builds the bracket will "favor" them to get to the FF and the F4.

The winner of ND/Duke could be dangerous for any time, and it will be interesting to see where that team is placed in a bracket.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:20 am
DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm If Virginia gets fully healthy, they can definitely go on a run and are probably the top ACC team, which will get a NCAA bracket path to be a final four team.
Even if fully healthy, this Virginia team has been erratic. Going back to the preseason, they got waxed by Canada and played well against USA.
DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm I think the NCAA will try to build a bracket that favor one B1G, one ACC, and two Ivies in the final four this year. And Georgetown will need to beat one of the Ivies or an ACC team to get to the finals. Rutgers will need to beat an Ivy to get to the final four. Virginia would be my beat to be the ACC final four team.
Depending how the bracket shakes out, there is a legitimate chance Maryland could be favored over the field based on Massey ratings. Almost any way the committee builds the bracket will "favor" them to get to the FF and the F4.

The winner of ND/Duke could be dangerous for any time, and it will be interesting to see where that team is placed in a bracket.
Agreed. I should have been more specific. The NCAA will most likely build a bracket that has:

Maryland #1 seed
Georgetown #2 seed
Princeton #3 seed
Virgina #4 seed

Every bracket will have an Ivy as there will be 4-5 Ivies in the NCAA bracket.

Virginia was erratic last year and in 2019. I predicted their collapse both of those years and Lars Tiffany proved me wrong. I think he is one of the best final four coaches of all time. I am not a UVA fan, but I respect and admire their recent success in the tournament.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DU-fan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 pm Every bracket will have an Ivy as there will be 4-5 Ivies in the NCAA bracket.
Should be 5 or 6 and all 6 are very even in terms of their inter-conference play. extra-conference play as well. curious to see how the ivies select the 4 teams to play in the Ivies and how the Committee selects who they select for the Nationals.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:20 am
they've def been erratic. their high end has at least looked good. low end, not so much. referencing scrimmages in the fall where reserves are getting half the pt isn't really indicative. or in this case necessary.

the loser could be dangerous for most teams, too. assuming they each take care of business this weekend.
i do assume nd probably can't afford to lose. probably.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DU-fan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 pm
Maryland #1 seed
Georgetown #2 seed
Princeton #3 seed
Virgina #4 seed
UVA has a lot of ground to make up, and a few teams to pass
over to get that 4 seed.
Just by virtue of numbers, its looking more likely the Ivy
league gets 2 top four seeds.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Maryland will be seeded #1 no matter what happens in B1G tourney, but are GTown & P'ton in the same position re: their league tourney results? Princeton still might be out of the ILT; could that actually be better for their seed than a potential loss in the first round of the Ivy tourney??!!
laxguywm

Post by laxguywm »

RU upsets MD in the BIG final ( MD still gets the 1 seed ) and Brown wins the ILT
1-MD
2-GT
3-RU
4-BROWN

Post by 1766 »

laxguywm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:28 pm RU upsets MD in the BIG final ( MD still gets the 1 seed ) and Brown wins the ILT
1-MD
2-GT
3-RU
4-BROWN
If Rutgers were to upset Md in the B1G tourney, they are the number 2 seed. That would be by far the biggest win of the year of any program. It wouldn't matter what happens in the Big East or Ivy.

There is a lot of lacrosse to play prior to that happening though.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

1766 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm
laxguywm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:28 pm RU upsets MD in the BIG final ( MD still gets the 1 seed ) and Brown wins the ILT
1-MD
2-GT
3-RU
4-BROWN
If Rutgers were to upset Md in the B1G tourney, they are the number 2 seed. That would be by far the biggest win of the year of any program. It wouldn't matter what happens in the Big East or Ivy.

There is a lot of lacrosse to play prior to that happening though.
I haven't run the numbers (ask Lacrosse Reference for that) but I don't think that if RU (currently 6 RPI) wins the B1G tournament they would be able to pass an IL Champ Princeton in RPI. Maybe not even a Big East champ GU. It would require a deviation from the usual formula to highly value "big wins". However, even in this scenario, the usual MO for the committee is to consider "big wins" as top 5 RPI wins. They don't give any specific value to beating #1, or "biggest win of the year" -- which is not to say they couldn't ... they can use any criteria they want.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Was having some fun with Quint and the Ivy/ACC ratings this weekend - Quint's bias as its absolute best or worst!

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Princeton – Quint 6, RPI 2
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

Never has his bias been worse than this year, when the Ivies are playing well. What a torture this season must be to our boy Quint!
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 pm Was having some fun with Quint and the Ivy/ACC ratings this weekend - Quint's bias as its absolute best or worst!

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Princeton – Quint 6, RPI 2
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

Never has his bias been worse than this year, when the Ivies are playing well. What a torture this season must be to our boy Quint!
He’s a clown.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”