2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: 2020 Elections - A Reckoning

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:22 am
a fan wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:59 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 am
And the history of "white" people in this country is all the same? Not even close. Sad that you would write such thoughts. Who did all the labor in Virginia in the 1600's ?
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you know "this country", as you put it, didn't exist in the 1600's, right?
probably IS to fine a point. Do we start in 1775? Or when the Constitution was ratified, and the first session under it, in 1789? Or, when the 48th terroritory became a state? Or, when we added , the imperialists that we are, Palinaska or Tulsi Gabbards homeland? You know, all FIFTY states.

when can we start?
If this is a serious question, the birth of America---in other words, the Federal government---- is when the Constitution was ratified and put into effect. Until then, we were a collection of colonies living under their own rules.
Yes, of course it's a serious question. To your point and "start" of the US government: Any AFRICAN slaves brought to this country prior to 1789 are excluded, along with the white identured's? According to your thinking.

Clearly, these same slaves descendants have zero claim to the idiotic reparation talk bantered about?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Re: 2020 Elections - TULSI GABBARD !!

Post by runrussellrun »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKj1jR_DkyU

Why do pretend liberals HATE hindus??????
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 am
CU77 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:21 am
Trump Jr. amplified those attacks when, on Thursday, he shared a tweet sent by one user with the assertion, "Kamala Harris is *not* an American Black. She is half Indian and half Jamaican."
"Is this true? Wow," Trump Jr. asked along with the shared tweet. He later deleted his tweet. A spokesman for Trump Jr. told The New York Times that there had been a misunderstanding.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/politics ... index.html

But hey, why stop at Junior? Senior seems to have no problem criticizing other black female members of Congress for their heritage. I'm sure you've seen those tweets, os.
Actually no, I haven't. I don't follow tweets.
Trump Jr expressed surprise. That's an attack ?
I was referring to anyone in these forums criticizing Kamala for her heritage.
btw -- I didn't bring it up.

Was Trump criticizing the Congresspersons for their heritage or for their attacks on the USA ?
Were they black female members of Congress ? This is all very confusing.
Yeah, you're just finding it "all very confusing", not that you're obfuscating what I said.

The criticism from Trump Jr, and multiple folks on this thread too, is that people 'claim' a heritage, yet don't 'look' like the heritage they 'claim'. Apparently that bothers some folks, something to criticize... rather than to celebrate the diversity they represent.

The critique, from those who actually are blowing racist dog whistles, is an attempt to draw attention to the 'difference' of the 'Other' from 'us' white folks who aren't of mixed 'colored' racial heritage. Not that all those on this thread doing so have that actual intent, or at least most likely not consciously so, but, yeah, that's what the critique is all about when coming from the Trumpist crew.

But you're just confused. :roll:
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKj1jR_DkyU

Some light reading for you

If you like the summary, I can send you a full version. It is great summer reading. If you like that, I have some other things you may enjoy. ;)
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:22 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKj1jR_DkyU

If you like the summary, I can send you a full version. It is great summer reading. If you like that, I have some other things you may enjoy. ;)
maybe, but I have already read Kama Sutra and Kalki this summer.

You've been to 224, correct? (Dorchester )
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:22 am

maybe, but I have already read Kama Sutra and Kalki this summer.

You've been to 224, correct? (Dorchester )
I have not made it to 224. I will be headed that way soon. Do you recommend it? I have a friend in Savin Hill... I may meet him there!
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:48 am Yes, of course it's a serious question. To your point and "start" of the US government: Any AFRICAN slaves brought to this country prior to 1789 are excluded, along with the white identured's?
Your logic is Swiss Cheese.

To answer your question, in terms of liability, moral or legal? The US Government is obviously not responsible for anything that happened before it existed. You're being silly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:24 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm I can't believe are having a discussion about Kamala's "blackness"

But, what I do think puts off some people is a sense that she is opportunistic about claiming various aggrieved status bona fides.... My understanding is that she chose to be sworn in as an Indian-American, not a black, congress-woman? Those kinds of calculations strike hollow with many folks.
It will become an issue when she proposes her plan for reparations.
I just looked it up and all the contemporaneous news stories noted that she was the first black woman Senator from California and the first Senator of East Indian descent. Exactly accurate.

It blows my mind that many white folks think this is something to actually criticize rather than to celebrate.
No one is criticizing anyone's color or ethnicity, just finding it a little confusing.
Coincidentally I caught this gal being interviewed tonight, in the interview she described herself as a person of color.
I can't find that interview, but if you click on this one at 1:18 you can hear her describe her color (might want to close your eyes so as to not have any preconcived ideas of what it might be before listening):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNYj4R2G2o
My English-French, brunette, brown eyed wife had a more brown/olive skin tone than this gal. Guess the new person of color is anyone who doesn't look like Anna Kournakova.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQJaXwGPlg
So, not sure what you find 'confusing' here DMac.
"Queer, brown, female."

Hispanic folks often use 'brown' as a shorthand, ala 'black' for African American descendants, all being 'people of color', especially as perceived by the dominant white culture, all representative of various 'diversity' in contrast to the majority. Folks have decided to proudly 'own' their heritage rather than be cowed by the majority culture as somehow deficient.

You keep suggesting that folks who are relatively light skinned are somehow not worthy of claiming their actual heritage? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanya_Saracho
I don't think anyone would be confused on meeting her that she has an hispanic background, or as she'd gender neutral call it: Latinx.
And it's undoubtable that being identified as such caused her to experience significant discrimination and sense of alienation at times. Tremendously talented and accomplished earlier in her career in stage playwriting, she got her first opportunity in TV through a 'diversity' program in which she came to realize that she was the only hispanic in the building other than the janitors...

BTW, Vida is a terrific show. Pretty racy, but certainly quite powerful and moving.

Not for nothing, but has your wife done a genetic Ancestry.com test?
She may well find some significant Mediterranean or Central Asian roots.
My wife too has brown hair and eyes, with mostly all Irish and English ancestors, "Murphy" and "Salthouse", but no one would mistake her for hispanic or African or Asian. Nor her red haired blue eyed sister, who despite those coloration differences is visibly a close relative.

Of course, as our family trees get more and more mixed, such distinctions may eventually become pretty moot. Of course, the only reason they matter today is the discrimination that is experienced by those not of whatever majority identity is in power.

But that's unlikely to remove human beings' animal instinct to find community, safety and security in numbers, the identity of the 'tribe'. We'll likely find other ways to see 'difference' and to perceive danger in the defined 'Other'.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm I can't believe are having a discussion about Kamala's "blackness"

But, what I do think puts off some people is a sense that she is opportunistic about claiming various aggrieved status bona fides.... My understanding is that she chose to be sworn in as an Indian-American, not a black, congress-woman? Those kinds of calculations strike hollow with many folks.
I just looked it up and all the contemporaneous news stories noted that she was the first black woman Senator from California and the first Senator of East Indian descent. Exactly accurate.

It blows my mind that many white folks think this is something to actually criticize rather than to celebrate.
No one is criticizing anyone's color or ethnicity, just finding it a little confusing.
Coincidentally I caught this gal being interviewed tonight, in the interview she described herself as a person of color.
I can't find that interview, but if you click on this one at 1:18 you can hear her describe her color (might want to close your eyes so as to not have any preconcived ideas of what it might be before listening):
My English-French, brunette, brown eyed wife had a more brown/olive skin tone than this gal. Guess the new person of color is anyone who doesn't look like Anna Kournakova.
"Queer, brown, female."

Hispanic folks often use 'brown' as a shorthand, ala 'black' for African American descendants, all being 'people of color', especially as perceived by the dominant white culture, all representative of various 'diversity' in contrast to the majority. Folks have decided to proudly 'own' their heritage rather than be cowed by the majority culture as somehow deficient.

You keep suggesting that folks who are relatively light skinned are somehow not worthy of claiming their actual heritage? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanya_Saracho
I don't think anyone would be confused on meeting her that she has an hispanic background, or as she'd gender neutral call it: Latinx.
And it's undoubtable that being identified as such caused her to experience significant discrimination and sense of alienation at times. Tremendously talented and accomplished earlier in her career in stage playwriting, she got her first opportunity in TV through a 'diversity' program in which she came to realize that she was the only hispanic in the building other than the janitors...

BTW, Vida is a terrific show. Pretty racy, but certainly quite powerful and moving.

My wife too has brown hair and eyes, with mostly all Irish and English ancestors, "Murphy" and "Salthouse", but no one would mistake her for hispanic or African or Asian. Nor her red haired blue eyed sister, who despite those coloration differences is visibly a close relative.

Of course, as our family trees get more and more mixed, such distinctions may eventually become pretty moot. Of course, the only reason they matter today is the discrimination that is experienced by those not of whatever majority identity is in power.

But that's unlikely to remove human beings' animal instinct to find community, safety and security in numbers, the identity of the 'tribe'. We'll likely find other ways to see 'difference' and to perceive danger in the defined 'Other'.
You mean she decided not to try to pass?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm

"Queer, brown, female."

You mean she decided not to try to pass?
:D
Typical Lax Dad

A classic episode!

I loved Elaine....
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Family oral history has always centered around my siblings and I being half Irish and half English. I have black hair, brown eyes, tan easily, and had always been told by my parents these were because I'm "black Irish". Recent 23andme.com genetic results show .6% of my ancestral makeup is from West Africa. Does this make me "true" black and entitled to reparations if/when they pass? Surely I must be entitled to something!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:40 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:48 am Yes, of course it's a serious question. To your point and "start" of the US government: Any AFRICAN slaves brought to this country prior to 1789 are excluded, along with the white identured's?
Your logic is Swiss Cheese.

To answer your question, in terms of liability, moral or legal? The US Government is obviously not responsible for anything that happened before it existed. You're being silly.
Am I ?

Gee, I wonder if there is ANY litigation, especially contract law, specifically landownerships, use, trusts, etc. going on ANY where in the current USA? Contracts, terms drafted before 1789. ;) hhmmmmm

Not stretch armstrong stretch, but maybe a tad stretch.

Regarding reparations though, my point is VERY valid, don't you agree? What's the percentage of US citizens that can trace their roots back to pre-1789? Do you give value to each and every descendant that was a slave? Did great great great grandfather die at 18, after fathering a son? Or did he live to his 50's. I will search the archives of jimmy crack corn I'm an arse-whole human owner plantations records. What's the value of each scenario? (the pretends REALLY wanna go down this hole ? )

Get a lil bothered when lump statements are made when race baiting. Generalizations of how black and white people's life experiences are, is mind numbing.

You think the tRumps kids experience is the same for the kids of the guys I see drinking budlites....at 9am.....on Longwharf

You think Obama's kids experience is the same as, a Michael Brown type, or even travon Martin, parents
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 am Actually no, I haven't. I don't follow tweets.
Oh please. It's been headline news for days.
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 amTrump Jr expressed surprise. That's an attack ?
Yes, it is.
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 amI was referring to anyone in these forums criticizing Kamala for her heritage.
What you actually wrote is "How 'bout a quote of some white folks criticizing her for her heritage."
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 am This is all very confusing.
You're not a bit confused. You know exactly where your leader is taking you, and you are cheerfully following.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote
Sounds like the Mac brothers:
Must be a "Black Irish" Mc got in the mix of those Macs somewhere back in the days of yore.
I honestly don't care about the color/race thing, MDlax, I just get tired of hearing about it and how rough everyone had it (I doubt Kamala had it all that rough, for example, sounds as if she had a pretty nice upbringing). No doubt she took some grief just like this master race looking boy did on Army bases in the 50s. One would almost think some of those Purple Heart fathers who got shot by Krauts sent their little boys out to teach the little Kraut kids who the real master race is/was (it was good to have a big brother, and we weren't easy).
Truth be told, we're all pretty much mutts regardless of the color some like to call themselves. My twin gkid's mother is Mexican so they're brown/hispanic. Well, they are when it works to their advantage (applications, ROTC quotas), not so much when they're hanging out with all the Macs though.
;) It's all good, brotha.
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 pm Regarding reparations though, my point is VERY valid, don't you agree?\
No. You're confusing moral reparations with legal reparations.

The discussing surrounding reparations, is actually about legal reparations. In other words, it's litigation against the US Government, the body that codified slavery it its laws.

So when people say "I wasn't alive when slavery existed, so why am I financially liable", that's true. What the seem to forget is, the US Government was very much alive back then.

It'd be quite a thing to watch the issue get litigated. I can't think of too many issues that are more complex.

As for the rest of you post----I have made zero comments on the issue. All I did was point out that you can't hold a government responsible for something that happened before it existed.

If anything? Take it up with the British! Now that would be one heckuva interesting lawsuit.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 pm One would think an unlikely duo but they're highly entertaining together.
As for the "no big deal", agree 100%. Just don't care about the ethnicity, gay, gender, color hair/eyes, etc., only care about the right and best person for the job.
this was my original point- but i was told that color does matter.

sclax asks a good question.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:22 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 pm One would think an unlikely duo but they're highly entertaining together.
As for the "no big deal", agree 100%. Just don't care about the ethnicity, gay, gender, color hair/eyes, etc., only care about the right and best person for the job.
this was my original point- but i was told that color does matter.

sclax asks a good question.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Two words now stricken from the GOP vocabulary—human rights.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Again, folks getting all bent out of shape over the mere notion that the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow should be addressed is pretty disconcerting to me.

Yikes, "reparations"!!!
How unfair! We weren't alive, yada, yada, yada.

Listen, that legacy is real, it has enormous societal costs that continue today.
We need to belly up to that reality and look for better ways to address the persistent after effects.

That doesn't mean a handout. It means investing in the future, empowering all of our citizens to live to their full potential.

Return to “POLITICS”