Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Live Game Action

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:25 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:19 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm ND 10 - BC 7 in the 4th.
BC was down 11-7 and comes back to win 12-11.
Would like to see a different angle on the backup before the last goal.
Once again could have used video scoring challenge as Medjid hits defender. Clearly shown on replay. Prob would have been no goal and YC. Crazy coaches dont want to utitlize it.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Curious? Is Maddie Jenner the all-time leader in draw controls? 😂
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

What a day of games!

Cuse puts Clemson in their place although I was little surprised of the 9-6 score midway through the 3rd. Sweitzer is my first team AA goalie and I think that’s not even a discussion.

The Notre Dame and BC game was sensational. Much will be made about the no-call on the game tying goal by BC, but ND had every opportunity to win that game. Halfpenny tweet after the game is a bit of sour grapes

Couple under the radar games that were surprising…..

BU over Navy (after losing to Umass Lowell earlier in the week) that hurts the at large case of Navy

Penn beat down of Yale 16-6 after the Bulldogs beat undefeated Army. Seems like Loyola is the class of the patriot league again…
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:07 am What a day of games!

Cuse puts Clemson in their place although I was little surprised of the 9-6 score midway through the 3rd. Sweitzer is my first team AA goalie and I think that’s not even a discussion.

The Notre Dame and BC game was sensational. Much will be made about the no-call on the game tying goal by BC, but ND had every opportunity to win that game. Halfpenny tweet after the game is a bit of sour grapes

BU over Navy (after losing to Umass Lowell earlier in the week) that hurts the at large case of Navy

Penn beat down of Yale 16-6 after the Bulldogs beat undefeated Army. Seems like Loyola is the class of the patriot league again…
Also makes the Navy v Army on 4/22 an even bigger match up. No doubt that Navy will want revenge after the loss last year and a win over Army might be their only hope now to boost their RPI and at large bid, since a W over Loyola is unlikely.

Penn gave the Bulldogs a reality check holding them scoreless through two quarters. Penn in control of the ivies right now but still with Princeton to play.

Anyone watch UVA and Duke?

These last few weeks of play are going to be fun!
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Uva got up by 6 with three minutes to go. Duke made it a bit closer but game was over at that point. Uva kept draw controls even, and had more offensive firepower with equal possessions. Lots of Duke possessions went deep into the shot trying to find a good look. Duke goalies with 8 saves versus 5 for uva. Dukes lack of offensive depth is puzzling….
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

I didn’t watch the entire game, but from what I did UVA seemed to be in control. We can stick a fork in Duke. I can’t see them making the NCAA tourney.

The last ACC team to make the NCAA tournament may come down to the winner of the VT/UVA game. This assumes VT can beat Clemson, which is no guarantee and UVA loses to BC.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Honestly I think this might be a year with only 5 ACC teams making the tournament. What is VT’s best win? I think uva is a lock with the win over ND.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:07 am What a day of games!

The BU win over Navy is easily the biggest upset this year. Navy isn't great, but still very good/solid, #20 - #25 type team. BU is just not a good team, by any measurement - losing to Holy Cross, Umass Lowell and Lafayette in it's last 3 games.

I'm still shocked that Navy lost. Didn't see the game but looking at the box score, goalie play was the difference, but should have never came down to that.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:35 pm Honestly I think this might be a year with only 5 ACC teams making the tournament. What is VT’s best win? I think uva is a lock with the win over ND.
These are big IFs, but if VT wins out they will finish 5-4 in the ACC and 10-6 overall. If UVA loses to BC and VT they will finish 5-4 and 10-6. The edge in this scenario has to go to VT. UVA gets in the NCAAs winning one of their last two games. VT could sneak in if they lose to UVA, beat Clemson, and have a good ACC tournament finish. I like the way VT is playing now. If they can get past Clemson at home next weekend this will setup what could be a take it, make it game with UVA.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

I might want to walk back by 5 team ACC comment. There might be an argument for 7 (six at large and 1 AQ) depending on how conference tournaments go. Big 10 looks like a 4 bid league (3 and 1). Pac-12 might only be AQ. Ivy could be AQ. Lots of lacrosse to be played though!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:45 pm I might want to walk back by 5 team ACC comment. There might be an argument for 7 (six at large and 1 AQ) depending on how conference tournaments go. Big 10 looks like a 4 bid league (3 and 1). Pac-12 might only be AQ. Ivy could be AQ. Lots of lacrosse to be played though!
Who are they four B1G teams? NU, Maryland, PSU…Hopkins?
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:31 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:45 pm I might want to walk back by 5 team ACC comment. There might be an argument for 7 (six at large and 1 AQ) depending on how conference tournaments go. Big 10 looks like a 4 bid league (3 and 1). Pac-12 might only be AQ. Ivy could be AQ. Lots of lacrosse to be played though!
I would say Nu, Maryland; PSU, and Michigan
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:41 pm
B1G will get 4 in. Who those 4 will probably be decided by the results in the upcoming Hopkins games against Michigan and PSU and the Big Ten tournament. Remember last year Hopkins won their last two B1G games to finish 4th in conference and Michigan and OSU were left out. Hopkins has I higher RPI than PSU even with a 5-7 record. They have the 4th hardest SOS in country.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:41 pm
I like these four. As much as I think the ACC can make a case for more than 5 teams to make the NCAA tourney I believe the committee will cap them at 5.

If the ACC gets 4 at large and the B1G 3 then half of the 14 at large spots are taken. Florida or JMU will take one. Loyola, Army, or Navy may take one or two depending on their conference AQ. UMass or Richmond could make a case for a spot if they don’t receive the AQ. Denver and Marquette could take a spot if they don’t receive the AQ. These teams could make up 11-12 of the 14 at large openings.

I think an ACC team that finishes the regular season outside of the top 5 can get in with an ACC title or final appearance if they fished sixth in the regular season. In this case there would be 1-2 at large bids still open. I think the committee will look outside of the ACC to fill the last spots.
Last edited by VAMomGlax2019 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

For ACC I think Cuse, UNC, BC, UVA, and ND are all locks right now. VT & Clemson are one big win away each. Honestly, the winner of their game may get in. For the Big 10 I think NU, UMD, & Michigan are locks. PSU I think is likely in but could miss it if they end the season badly. Hopkins has an outside chance. I think the ACC will be a 6 team bit and the Big 10 a 4. This takes up 8 AQ of the 14. JMU/FL is another. With no upsets in conference tournaments this leaves 5 spots. The teams I think competing for this spot will be Army, Navy, Yale, Princeton, UConn, Marquette (if they only lose to Denver the rest of the season I think the committee lets them in), Villanova, Richmond, USC/Stanford. My 5 would be Army (if they beat Navy than I’m confident with this), Yale, Marquette, Richmond, and I’ve got no clue for the last spot. I’m
open to discussion with this.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

user1020 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:08 pm For ACC I think Cuse, UNC, BC, UVA, and ND are all locks right now. VT & Clemson are one big win away each. Honestly, the winner of their game may get in. For the Big 10 I think NU, UMD, & Michigan are locks. PSU I think is likely in but could miss it if they end the season badly. Hopkins has an outside chance. I think the ACC will be a 6 team bit and the Big 10 a 4. This takes up 8 AQ of the 14. JMU/FL is another. With no upsets in conference tournaments this leaves 5 spots. The teams I think competing for this spot will be Army, Navy, Yale, Princeton, UConn, Marquette (if they only lose to Denver the rest of the season I think the committee lets them in), Villanova, Richmond, USC/Stanford. My 5 would be Army (if they beat Navy than I’m confident with this), Yale, Marquette, Richmond, and I’ve got no clue for the last spot. I’m
open to discussion with this.
Nice write up. IMO the loser of the VT/Clemson game will be out unless they win the ACC. I just don’t see Clemson getting a bid even with a win over VT because they will have a losing ACC record. The battle for the last ACC spot seems to be between VT and UVA. If VT loses any of their last three games they are out. If VT wins all three I believe they are in and UVA can make a strong case for being the 6th ACC team.

Of those on your list I don’t see Villanova in the mix. The four you noted have good shots. I believe UConn could be the fifth. A sleeper not mentioned is ECU.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Given how much there is to play for for Virginia tech between now and the conclusion of the acc tourney, it’s very early to speculate on their NCAA chances. Right now, they are out. Their rpi is 36. SOS is 16. Duke is their sole top 25 win and the value of that win is plummeting. They also have a loss to Mercer. If they beat Clemson and uva and win their first round acc game, they will make the tourney. If they beat Clemson AND uva and lose first round acc game, they will be on the bubble. Same if they beat Clemson, lose to uva and then win first round acc game.
Cuse, unc, notre dame, uva and bc are locks based on rpi, quality wins and SOS. They don’t need to do anything else.
Clemson gets in with a win over tech and a first round acc win. That’s it. Their rpi is 29 and sos is 26. Duke only decent win.
So I think acc will be 5 bid league bc I don’t think either tech or Clemson will do what they have to do to improve their position….
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:09 pm Given how much there is to play for for Virginia tech between now and the conclusion of the acc tourney, it’s very early to speculate on their NCAA chances. Right now, they are out. Their rpi is 36. SOS is 16. Duke is their sole top 25 win and the value of that win is plummeting. They also have a loss to Mercer. If they beat Clemson and uva and win their first round acc game, they will make the tourney. If they beat Clemson AND uva and lose first round acc game, they will be on the bubble. Same if they beat Clemson, lose to uva and then win first round acc game.
Cuse, unc, notre dame, uva and bc are locks based on rpi, quality wins and SOS. They don’t need to do anything else.
Clemson gets in with a win over tech and a first round acc win. That’s it. Their rpi is 29 and sos is 26. Duke only decent win.
So I think acc will be 5 bid league bc I don’t think either tech or Clemson will do what they have to do to improve their position….
I agree the ACC will most likely be a 5 bid league. I differ on UVA being a lock. VTs SOS and RPI may improve, so I don’t see these as being big factors when choosing one over the other (UVA/VT) if VT wins their last four and UVA loses their last two. In this scenario they have identical records and VT will be the team playing better late in the season when it matters. The committee will not overlook this.

IF, a big IF, this scenario plays out it may turn out UVA plays BC and VT plays ND in their first round games in the ACC tournament. I’m not sure what format the ACC uses in tournament play, but these could be the match ups. Both VT and UVA would be underdogs and both could lose. If so, they again will have identical records, but VT will have the advantage of head to head and winning 6 of their last 7 games whereas UVA will have lost 4 of their last 7.

If Stanford and Princeton are good wins for UVA then Mercer is not a bad loss for VT. These three teams are 33-35 in the RPI. And again this was an early season loss for VT. It will come down to who is playing better at seasons end.

I agree, right now UVA is in. There are a lot of IFs to deal with. And because of these I don’t think UVA can be considered a lock. UVA will have a good argument to get in even if the scenario plays out with VT. VT has no room for error. But IMO the ACC only has four locks right now, but will get 5 in the NCAA tourney. Maybe even 6.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:17 am
TNLAX wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:53 pm
Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:50 pm Marquette - who is now 10-1 - just knocked off Ohio State 13-12.
What is wrong with this picture, Maquette, 11-1 not ranked in the IWlCA poll? Not even getting votes! What is wrong with the coaches or people voting? I don’t think they are a top 5 or top 10 team, but they have some nice wins. SMH
Actually the real question is what the heck has happened to Ohio State over the past 5 years? I can recall them with a signature win against MD a few years back and program has gone downhill since.

Marquette is a nice team, but honestly they are in that #30 - #50 category.
Bokker has been the HC since the shortened 2020 season. OSU is 23-29 since then - the one positive being that they have been 3-1 against Michigan with the loss being this season. OSU has all the facilities and resources to be successful at a high level. How much more time does Bokker get to turn things around?
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
caged21

Post by caged21 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:51 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:25 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:19 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm ND 10 - BC 7 in the 4th.
BC was down 11-7 and comes back to win 12-11.
Would like to see a different angle on the backup before the last goal.
Once again could have used video scoring challenge as Medjid hits defender. Clearly shown on replay. Prob would have been no goal and YC. Crazy coaches dont want to utitlize it.
Finally got a chance to watch the goal that everyones talking about in the ND v. BC game. Clearly a dangerous follow through by Medjid and a game changer but I'm not sure a video review would even be allowed per the NCAA rules for review. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... alRule.pdf I am by no means a Halfpenny fan but her post-game tweet seems ok to me (and not just "sour grapes"). It was a big miss by the refs at a critical time in the game. IMO this type of scoring play should be added to the plays allowed for video review. Maybe the refs were confused by the scorer falling to the ground and grabbing her head. IMO, the acting, flopping and head grabbing is at an all time high this year in D! womens lacrosse- its making the officiating difficult and it's ruining the sport.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”