Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: senseless violence in our streets

Post by cradleandshoot »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:17 amWhy is it that the "intended targets" are seldom hit with the bullets intended for them? Excuse me for the rant. :roll:
Cradle, I'm happy to talk with you but if this seemingly innocuous discussion is going to be laced with passive aggressive snipes, I'm less happy to talk. it's not personal. Hard to be personal when I don't know you so well. It's as simple as I'm having a good day and good things around me and... I want to maintain this trajectory. With this said...

I think there are so many unintended victims for the same reason that so many criminals are caught. Because most criminals aren't very good at their job, they're not careful, they don't have foresight, they're sloppy, they're not professional, etc.. Not to mention, many are high or drunk. We need criminal training! I say this as a joke but... There's a truth to it.
Sorry but my opinion is being jaded by the ongoing slaughter in the streets of the city I grew up in. The shooting gallery in the Wal Mart parking lot. The mother of 2 kids shot 10 times in her car with her kids in the back seat of her car. A young man assassinated mafia style while standing on the street. That is just 3 weeks worth of murder and mayhem. You wonder why that ticks me off? I will fire right back at you.. Why DOES THAT NOT TICK EVERYBODY OFF? Now I will be ripped on for going on a rant. :roll:. Why don't you question " no snitch" The people commiting these murders will never be brought to justice. Because the people who know who committed these murders will never say diddly squat. So how do you think that effects the police officers that are investigating these murders? You think they are not bothered by the ever increasing stack of unsolved homicide files building up on their desks??
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Just to be clear, the thread is Race in America -Riots Explode in Minneapolis.

Is posting in this thread about gun violence, tragic deaths, whether in a small town like Annapolis, mid-tier like Rochester, or a big city, supposed to be suggesting something about race?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 amEither because they have no idea what they are pontificating about (the majority, I'd guess) or they are confusing/conflating it with CLS, the critical legal studies movement that ggait described elsewhere. The CRT discussion in this country is as stupid and uninformed a discussion as I can remember.
Right. CRT unto itself is just an idea. But CLS is an idea where actions are taken etc. and, once CRT is forced upon me (though i'm not 100% sure what that means), it starts to become more Marxist, more don't-take-away-my-individuality. I hear it. I don't necessarily agree but i hear it. Similar to some peoples reaction to BLM. BLM is a perspective, a simple call to recognize that... Black lives matter equally to all other human lives. Pretty straightforward thing. Hard for me to see why someone would take offense to this. But, like we're discussing, once actions are taken around this idea, people react.
Or once people imagine what actions could be taken, they panic.

It's not about reality. Just fear.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

i just assumed that the youths that were killed were blacks. And the numbers are so skewed, sadly, I would've thought this no matter the title of the thread. Unless a clue to steer me differently, when i hear of gun violence and the death of young men and women, I assume that they're black.
Young Black men and teens are killed by guns 20 times more than their white counterparts, CDC data shows
Nada Hassanein
USA TODAY

Young Black men and teens made up more than a third of firearm homicide victims in the USA in 2019, one of several disparities revealed in a review of gun mortality data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The analysis, titled "A Public Health Crisis in the Making," found that although Black men and boys ages 15 to 34 make up just 2% of the nation's population, they were among 37% of gun homicides that year.

That's 20 times higher than white males of the same age group.

Of all reported firearm homicides in 2019, more than half of victims were Black men, according to the study spearheaded by the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Sixty-three percent of male victims were Black.

The contrast is even more stark when the rates were compared with white people: Across all ages, Black men were nearly 14 times more likely to die in a firearm homicide than white men, and eight times more likely to die in a firearm homicide than the general population, including women.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:19 am i just assumed that the youths that were killed were blacks. And the numbers are so skewed, sadly, I would've thought this no matter the title of the thread. Unless a clue to steer me differently, when i hear of gun violence and the death of young men and women, I assume that they're black.
Young Black men and teens are killed by guns 20 times more than their white counterparts, CDC data shows
Nada Hassanein
USA TODAY

Young Black men and teens made up more than a third of firearm homicide victims in the USA in 2019, one of several disparities revealed in a review of gun mortality data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The analysis, titled "A Public Health Crisis in the Making," found that although Black men and boys ages 15 to 34 make up just 2% of the nation's population, they were among 37% of gun homicides that year.

That's 20 times higher than white males of the same age group.

Of all reported firearm homicides in 2019, more than half of victims were Black men, according to the study spearheaded by the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Sixty-three percent of male victims were Black.

The contrast is even more stark when the rates were compared with white people: Across all ages, Black men were nearly 14 times more likely to die in a firearm homicide than white men, and eight times more likely to die in a firearm homicide than the general population, including women.
Yup, 63% of homicide deaths in America are NOT black men and boys age 15-34.

Yet the natural assumption, due to the disproportionate # of such living in poor neighborhoods in which gang/drug violence is rampant, and thus involved with such crimes either as a criminal or as a bystander, is that every shooting involves black boys and men...many of course do, but a whole bunch do no not.

The discussion is relevant to 'race in America' but it sure feels like many of these posts are finger pointing at race, not poverty.

Which in no way should be read as excusing gang violence.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:28 amYup, 63% of homicide deaths in America are NOT black men and boys age 15-34... which in no way should be read as excusing gang violence.
Yes, agreed, especially about poverty vs. race, and... I want to correct your numbers. 63% of homicide deaths in America are not black boys age 15-34. 37% of all gun homicides are black young men. (That's pretty outrageous.) More than 50% are black men and boys age 15-34. It's hard to read that without pausing. The disproportion is astounding. But as you're saying, this is not happening because of their race. this is happening because of the circumstance for a large group of people.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:28 amYup, 63% of homicide deaths in America are NOT black men and boys age 15-34... which in no way should be read as excusing gang violence.
Yes, agreed, especially about poverty vs. race, and... I want to correct your numbers. 63% of homicide deaths in America are not black boys age 15-34. 37% of all gun homicides are black young men. (That's pretty outrageous.) More than 50% are black men and boys age 15-34. It's hard to read that without pausing. The disproportion is astounding. But as you're saying, this is not happening because of their race. this is happening because of the circumstance for a large group of people.
I was looking at this sentence...I wasn't looking at the data...will do so. In any case very disproportionate for sure.

"Black men and boys ages 15 to 34 make up just 2% of the nation's population, they were among 37% of gun homicides that year"

reading article says something different: Sixty-three percent of male victims were Black.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:12 am Just to be clear, the thread is Race in America -Riots Explode in Minneapolis.

Is posting in this thread about gun violence, tragic deaths, whether in a small town like Annapolis, mid-tier like Rochester, or a big city, supposed to be suggesting something about race?
My bad, because nobody that posts on this forum ever deviates one iota from the thread topic. :roll: Who do you think most of the victims of this gun violence are? They are primarily young African Americans. You really have to make such a nonsensical observation? Sorry to inform you in my little mid level city of Rochester NY there is a mini holocaust occuring on our streets. Since January 1st there have been 120 shootings. The last shooting was 5 minutes from my house. Let me guess, your rolling your eyes and getting ready to gripe at me about another rant. MD when was the last wild west shootout that happened within a 2 mile radius of your humble abode?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:01 am"Black men and boys ages 15 to 34 make up just 2% of the nation's population, they were among 37% of gun homicides that year"

reading article says something different: Sixty-three percent of male victims were Black.
You're right. So 37% were black males ages 15 to 34. 26% were black males under 15 and over 34. that doesn't seem right, 26% sounds high, but... I'll take it at face value. Either way, ridiculous numbers.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/ar ... on/382154/

I have long suspected a connection between the passage of civil rights legislation and a whole lot of people going to jail afterwards. It is a consistent theme in this country. Two steps forward and one step back.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Critical Race Theory is the Trumpnista's latest outrage, even though it has been around for a couple decades in academic environments and is a rather benign tool for looking at (studying) issues involving the interaction and relationships between societal groups of disparate levels of power in the society. In my opinion it is poorly named, but its name derives from its first usage, the study of American race relations throughout history.

So why is it such a big deal today?? The Trumpnista claim it is because the devil Joe Biden called for teaching it in K-12 schools. An early example of the charge is contained in The American Spectator. The article immediately accuses Biden of an agenda of teaching Critical Race Theory in American schools based on a single line in his inaugural address, calling for “an ambitious whole-of-government equity agenda”. A real reach even for the unserious clowns at The American Spectator. No where at no time that I can find has Biden ever called for teaching Critical Race Theory!

The article goes on to lie about what Critical Race Theory is, so as to inflame its very right wing readers. It makes an equivalence between the 1619 Project and Critical Race Theory. They are most certainly not the same thing. Critical Race Theory is a tool, the 1619 Project is an American History curriculum. The 1619 Project has gotten a bad reputation certainly among Trumpnista, but also among academic historians of all stripes, well before the Trumpnista had even heard of it. It is a novel way of teaching American history not without some merit, but the curriculum does have ahistorical errors according to historians.

The article then uses a Department of Education request for comments for a proposal process for grants for novel / unique programs for teaching history and civics. The DOE document makes the mistake of giving examples of possible grant proposals and including the 1619 project for a history proposal, just asking for trouble when the first sentence of the project documentation states:
The 1619 Project, inaugurated with a special issue of The New York Times Magazine, challenges us to reframe U.S. history by marking the year when the first enslaved Africans arrived on Virginia soil as our nation's foundational date.

The 1619 Project as I said does have some problems, but it also has very worthwhile teaching modules within the project. Before the 1619 Project would be acceptable a number of ahistorical passages would have to be corrected and certainly you do not start teaching American history at the point suggested. This however is not really my point.

So the answer to the question "why is it such a big deal today??", is because the right wing has trumped up an argument, not backed up by facts, to outrage their base and hopefully in their minds resonate with independents.

Critical Race Theory is today not taught in K-12 situations, it is a tool developed for graduate education and has perhaps begun to find its way into some undergraduate courses. The democrats could very easily defuse this by calling for the same ban as silly as it is! The only danger is in letting the right wing define Critical Race Theory, which they would undoubtedly miss define in an effort to eliminate some important history being taught today and curriculum changes to teach real and important history tomorrow. All of this becomes much easier to deal with when the discussion is over specific history, not an ill defined right wing boogieman term. They would love to ban teaching the Tulsa Massacre where the majority of Americans find it appropriate and would be against elimination from history curriculum.

In any case as this issue is pushed forward, those states pushing forward illegitimate bans on important history will find its students losing out in competition for spots in top universities and colleges.

Teacher's perspective.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Darnella Frazier was the teen who recorded the murder of George Floyd by the criminal Chauvin. Last night her uncle was killed by a cop who was allegedly chasing a car jacker:

https://kstp.com/news/1-dead-in-vehicle ... 732/?cat=1

Darnella Frazier, the teen whose recording of George Floyd's death in police custody went viral last year, said Tuesday that her uncle was killed in a crash involving a Minneapolis police car.

Frazier wrote on Facebook, "I honestly can't believe I'm making this post right now...I'm so hurt...nothing feels real."

In her post, Frazier said her uncle, Leneal Lamont Frazier, was the man killed in the crash near Sixth Street North and Lowry Avenue earlier Tuesday morning.

Police haven't yet confirmed the victim's identity.

Darnella Frazier: Man killed in crash involving MPD car is my uncle
The Minnesota State Patrol is investigating.

A person is dead after a three-vehicle crash involving a squad car in north Minneapolis.

According to police, around 12 a.m. Tuesday, an officer found a carjacked vehicle in the area of Sixth Street North and Lowry Avenue. The vehicle had been reportedly seen during multiple business robberies.

The officer attempted to pull the vehicle over, but the driver took off and the officer pursued.

Minneapolis police said as the officer entered the intersection traveling northbound on Lyndale Avenue at 41st Avenue North, he collided with a vehicle that was traveling westbound. A southbound vehicle was also involved in the crash.

The crash left the westbound driver dead and the officer with serious injuries, said police. A K9 was also in the officer's vehicle and the K9 was not hurt.

MPD spokesperson John Elder tells KSTP that policy states during pursuits that lights and sirens are to be activated when entering an intersection. A preliminary investigation indicates that was the case regarding this incident. Elder added that the Minnesota State Patrol would be conducting a further investigation on it.

The crash is under investigation by the Minnesota State Patrol.

Hmmm ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:17 amWhy is it that the "intended targets" are seldom hit with the bullets intended for them? Excuse me for the rant. :roll:
Cradle, I'm happy to talk with you but if this seemingly innocuous discussion is going to be laced with passive aggressive snipes, I'm less happy to talk. it's not personal. Hard to be personal when I don't know you so well. It's as simple as I'm having a good day and good things around me and... I want to maintain this trajectory. With this said...

I think there are so many unintended victims for the same reason that so many criminals are caught. Because most criminals aren't very good at their job, they're not careful, they don't have foresight, they're sloppy, they're not professional, etc.. Not to mention, many are high or drunk. We need criminal training! I say this as a joke but... There's a truth to it.
He doesn’t listen. Not everyone cares for the Socratic method, which requires Cooperation from both parties. His technique of ranting belligerently is a clear demonstration of a lack of cooperation. Basically just wanting to read his typed word.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:44 pm Glad to hear.

It's definitely been part of the dynamic cited by many, many 'fans' of the NBA, pining for a time when there were more 'white' players 'hustling' on defense versus the 'prima donna' black players...old theme.
Naturally talented.
I thought it was survival of the fittest theory from when we offered them a bit ride over here and some hosing in exchange for a little light manual labor?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:22 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 am Yet another innocent victim, caught in a crossfire.
This one hits close to home.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/cri ... story.html
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan adds an additional $10,000 to reward for information in shooting of Naval Academy mom
The reward for information regarding the shooting of a Naval Academy mother is now $32,000 after Gov. Larry Hogan authorized an additional $10,000.

Michelle Cummings, 57, of Houston, was relaxing early Tuesday morning with friends on the elevated patio outside of the Graduate Hotel on West Street when she was fatally shot. She was in Annapolis to bring her son to the Naval Academy for Induction Day. Police say she was not the intended target.

Yesterday, during a news conference on Pleasant Street, the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives offered $20,000 for information that leads to the arrest of those responsible for Cummings’ death. The Metro Crimestoppers are also offering $2,000.

Hogan said in a statement he spoke with the Cummings family and expressed condolences. The Maryland State Police have offered full resources and are able to support the FBI, ATF and other involved law enforcement agencies.

The investigation into Cummings’s death is still active. Police interviewed two people who were sitting in a parked car on Pleasant Street when Cummings was killed. The two, who were unharmed, are believed to be the intended targets. Police have recovered video footage and begun to interview witnesses, Annapolis Police Chief Ed Jackson said at the Wednesday news conference.

Cummings’ son, Leonard Cummings III, is a plebe at the Naval Academy and a football prospect. He went through Induction Day on Wednesday.
Cummings was described as a mother who was “all in” when it came to her son’s education at the academy. Before I-Day, she traveled to meet with another Naval Academy mother who gave her a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood,” a reference to the football team.

Leonard “Trey” Cummings attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School before coming to the academy, and the Cummings met other families whose children attended with the midshipman. That included Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, who set up a GoFundMe to help pay for funeral costs. Cummings will be buried in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

In two days, the GoFundMe raised nearly $120,000, exceeding its goal of $100,000.

Naval Academy plebe’s mom was ‘all in,’ looking forward to Navy Football mothers group before she was fatally shot

Just a few weeks before coming to Annapolis for her son’s Naval Academy Induction Day, Michelle Jordan Cummings drove from Houston to Dallas to meet Michelle Pittman.
Pittman gave Cummings a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood” — a tight-knit group of Naval Academy football moms.
“We talked and we welcomed her into our Navy mama family and I gave her a cute little pin for her to wear on her shirt for I-day,” Pittman said. “I told her I will see her when she got to Annapolis.”

But Pittman, who lives in Bowie, didn’t get to see Cummings before she was shot to death early Tuesday morning while sitting at a patio area outside the Graduate Hotel on West Street.
Cummings, 57, was in Annapolis to drop off her son at Induction Day, which he attended Wednesday. Her son, Midshipman Candidate Leonard “Trey” Cummings III, attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Rhode Island and is a football prospect.

“She was all in,” Pittman said. “She was so excited and ready to join us and support the mission that our sons have signed up for.”
Now Cummings won’t have the opportunity to be a part of the Motherhood of the Brotherhood like she wanted and police and other law enforcement are investigating why.

Police said Tuesday the shots were likely fired on Pleasant Street, and Cummings, who was hit more than once, was not the intended target. The call for the shooting came in around 12:21 a.m., police said.
Multiple shots were fired on Pleasant Street, including at a parked car with two people in it, police said. Annapolis Police Chief Edward Jackson called it almost inexplicable how the bullets traveled from Pleasant Street to the elevated Graduate Hotel patio.

At a news conference Wednesday in Annapolis, leaders from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced they are offering a combined $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the shooting.

Jackson said he spoke to Trey Cummings and encouraged him to move forward with attending the Naval Academy to honor his mother’s memory.
“I said to him, ‘I think the best way to honor your mother’s legacy — because she’s a big part of you being here today; she raised you, she nurtured you, she loved you ... is to go forward with your education at the Naval Academy,’” Jackson said.

After he attended Induction Day, Cummings was granted leave to mourn his mother before returning for his summer training, said Lt. Col. Todd McCarthy, plebe summer officer in charge.
“He’s going to step into the brigade like nothing happened, and we’re going to keep a close eye on it, but I couldn’t be prouder of that young man,” McCarthy said. “And when I say that I speak for all the leadership. We are so proud of him.”
Cummings is showing “incredible tenacity and strength,” said McCarthy, noting that he did not think he could do the same if he were Cummings.
“I mean, I was absolutely blown away by the strength that he’s demonstrated,” McCarthy said.

Michelle Cummings served as the president of the Westfield High School Booster Club during the 2019-2020 school year, according to a statement released by the Spring Independent School District in Texas. The statement described her as a very engaged parent who was always ready to support student-athletes.
She also was an administrator on the Class of 2025 Navy Football Parents Facebook page.

Cummings became friends with Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, a fellow administrator of the Facebook page, because their sons attended the Naval Academy prep school together. Phillips said Cummings always could make her laugh.
When Phillips learned of Cummings’ death, she set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the Cummings family. In a little over a day, more than 1,600 people have donated more than $95,200. The money will be used to help transport Cummings’ body to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where she will be buried, and help cover funeral costs, Phillips said.

Chet Gladchuk, the director of athletics at the Naval Academy, gave his sympathies to the Cummings family.
" No family should ever have to go through something like this, a senseless act of violence that took their loved one. The Naval Academy Athletic Association and the Navy Football family will support the Cummings family in every way possible,” Gladchuk said in a statement.
Joe DuPaix, a Navy football assistant coach, said he is looking forward to having Trey Cummings rejoin the team once he takes care of personal things related to the death of his mother.
Dupaix, who recruited Cummings, said he had the opportunity to get to know him and his family well.
“I wasn’t surprised that Trey made the mature decision to come to the Naval Academy because of the way he was raised,” he said. “I knew right off the bat they were high-character people.”
He said that the Navy Football brotherhood will always take care of its members.
“Trey and his family are part of the Navy football family” DuPaix said, “so we are going to do everything we possibly can.”
You know the drill here OS. This caring and loving mom was just collateral damage. As is the new normal the chances of finding and prosecuting whoever murdered this mom is nothing short of a pathetic joke. My "rant" here will tick off more off my fellow posters than the murder of this poor mom ever will.
Maybe a candlelight vigil or a community organized march to end the violence will finally make a difference. Sorry, my bad I am ranting again, shame on me. :roll:
No one is mad, just bored by your redundant and pointless anger.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mel the Therapist wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:47 am
Cradle, I'm happy to talk with you but if this seemingly innocuous discussion is going to be laced with passive aggressive snipes, I'm less happy to talk...
Cradle, Matnum, I think I may be able to help with this potential impasse. But, first, Cradle, it's good to see you out of the Penalty Box and adjusting so well to civilian life. You're a true success story. But back to this potential impasse. What I believe is happening is that Cradle is a sensitive person. Which is a very good thing. He reads about this terrible death and it pains him. But he doesn't want to feel this pain so, instead of feeling this pain, he channels his emotions towards anger. Cradle, I want to encourage you to allow yourself to feel this pain. You don't need to turn to anger. Allow yourself to feel your feelings. Allow yourself to be yourself.

Feel your feelings,
Mel the Therapist
I got this recently at a retreat. Amazing how many people don’t love themselves.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:16 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 amEither because they have no idea what they are pontificating about (the majority, I'd guess) or they are confusing/conflating it with CLS, the critical legal studies movement that ggait described elsewhere. The CRT discussion in this country is as stupid and uninformed a discussion as I can remember.
Right. CRT unto itself is just an idea. But CLS is an idea where actions are taken etc. and, once CRT is forced upon me (though i'm not 100% sure what that means), it starts to become more Marxist, more don't-take-away-my-individuality. I hear it. I don't necessarily agree but i hear it. Similar to some peoples reaction to BLM. BLM is a perspective, a simple call to recognize that... Black lives matter equally to all other human lives. Pretty straightforward thing. Hard for me to see why someone would take offense to this. But, like we're discussing, once actions are taken around this idea, people react.
Or once people imagine what actions could be taken, they panic.

It's not about reality. Just fear.
Great monologue from CRISPIN (spellcheck insists on capitalizing on 3rd try) Glover who is leader of modern gods in a show called American Gods RE: Fear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__a7hNbw3Zw
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:20 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 am Yet another innocent victim, caught in a crossfire.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan adds an additional $10,000 to reward for information in shooting of Naval Academy mom
The reward for information regarding the shooting of a Naval Academy mother is now $32,000 after Gov. Larry Hogan authorized an additional $10,000.

Michelle Cummings, 57, of Houston, was relaxing early Tuesday morning with friends on the elevated patio outside of the Graduate Hotel on West Street when she was fatally shot. She was in Annapolis to bring her son to the Naval Academy for Induction Day. Police say she was not the intended target.

Yesterday, during a news conference on Pleasant Street, the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives offered $20,000 for information that leads to the arrest of those responsible for Cummings’ death. The Metro Crimestoppers are also offering $2,000.

Hogan said in a statement he spoke with the Cummings family and expressed condolences. The Maryland State Police have offered full resources and are able to support the FBI, ATF and other involved law enforcement agencies.

The investigation into Cummings’s death is still active. Police interviewed two people who were sitting in a parked car on Pleasant Street when Cummings was killed. The two, who were unharmed, are believed to be the intended targets. Police have recovered video footage and begun to interview witnesses, Annapolis Police Chief Ed Jackson said at the Wednesday news conference.

Cummings’ son, Leonard Cummings III, is a plebe at the Naval Academy and a football prospect. He went through Induction Day on Wednesday.
Cummings was described as a mother who was “all in” when it came to her son’s education at the academy. Before I-Day, she traveled to meet with another Naval Academy mother who gave her a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood,” a reference to the football team.

Leonard “Trey” Cummings attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School before coming to the academy, and the Cummings met other families whose children attended with the midshipman. That included Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, who set up a GoFundMe to help pay for funeral costs. Cummings will be buried in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

In two days, the GoFundMe raised nearly $120,000, exceeding its goal of $100,000.

Naval Academy plebe’s mom was ‘all in,’ looking forward to Navy Football mothers group before she was fatally shot

Just a few weeks before coming to Annapolis for her son’s Naval Academy Induction Day, Michelle Jordan Cummings drove from Houston to Dallas to meet Michelle Pittman.
Pittman gave Cummings a pin that said “Motherhood of the Brotherhood” — a tight-knit group of Naval Academy football moms.
“We talked and we welcomed her into our Navy mama family and I gave her a cute little pin for her to wear on her shirt for I-day,” Pittman said. “I told her I will see her when she got to Annapolis.”

But Pittman, who lives in Bowie, didn’t get to see Cummings before she was shot to death early Tuesday morning while sitting at a patio area outside the Graduate Hotel on West Street.
Cummings, 57, was in Annapolis to drop off her son at Induction Day, which he attended Wednesday. Her son, Midshipman Candidate Leonard “Trey” Cummings III, attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Rhode Island and is a football prospect.

“She was all in,” Pittman said. “She was so excited and ready to join us and support the mission that our sons have signed up for.”
Now Cummings won’t have the opportunity to be a part of the Motherhood of the Brotherhood like she wanted and police and other law enforcement are investigating why.

Police said Tuesday the shots were likely fired on Pleasant Street, and Cummings, who was hit more than once, was not the intended target. The call for the shooting came in around 12:21 a.m., police said.
Multiple shots were fired on Pleasant Street, including at a parked car with two people in it, police said. Annapolis Police Chief Edward Jackson called it almost inexplicable how the bullets traveled from Pleasant Street to the elevated Graduate Hotel patio.

At a news conference Wednesday in Annapolis, leaders from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced they are offering a combined $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the shooting.

Jackson said he spoke to Trey Cummings and encouraged him to move forward with attending the Naval Academy to honor his mother’s memory.
“I said to him, ‘I think the best way to honor your mother’s legacy — because she’s a big part of you being here today; she raised you, she nurtured you, she loved you ... is to go forward with your education at the Naval Academy,’” Jackson said.

After he attended Induction Day, Cummings was granted leave to mourn his mother before returning for his summer training, said Lt. Col. Todd McCarthy, plebe summer officer in charge.
“He’s going to step into the brigade like nothing happened, and we’re going to keep a close eye on it, but I couldn’t be prouder of that young man,” McCarthy said. “And when I say that I speak for all the leadership. We are so proud of him.”
Cummings is showing “incredible tenacity and strength,” said McCarthy, noting that he did not think he could do the same if he were Cummings.
“I mean, I was absolutely blown away by the strength that he’s demonstrated,” McCarthy said.

Michelle Cummings served as the president of the Westfield High School Booster Club during the 2019-2020 school year, according to a statement released by the Spring Independent School District in Texas. The statement described her as a very engaged parent who was always ready to support student-athletes.
She also was an administrator on the Class of 2025 Navy Football Parents Facebook page.

Cummings became friends with Annapolis resident Veranna Phillips, a fellow administrator of the Facebook page, because their sons attended the Naval Academy prep school together. Phillips said Cummings always could make her laugh.
When Phillips learned of Cummings’ death, she set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the Cummings family. In a little over a day, more than 1,600 people have donated more than $95,200. The money will be used to help transport Cummings’ body to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where she will be buried, and help cover funeral costs, Phillips said.

Chet Gladchuk, the director of athletics at the Naval Academy, gave his sympathies to the Cummings family.
" No family should ever have to go through something like this, a senseless act of violence that took their loved one. The Naval Academy Athletic Association and the Navy Football family will support the Cummings family in every way possible,” Gladchuk said in a statement.
Joe DuPaix, a Navy football assistant coach, said he is looking forward to having Trey Cummings rejoin the team once he takes care of personal things related to the death of his mother.
Dupaix, who recruited Cummings, said he had the opportunity to get to know him and his family well.
“I wasn’t surprised that Trey made the mature decision to come to the Naval Academy because of the way he was raised,” he said. “I knew right off the bat they were high-character people.”
He said that the Navy Football brotherhood will always take care of its members.
“Trey and his family are part of the Navy football family” DuPaix said, “so we are going to do everything we possibly can.”
You know the drill here OS. This caring and loving mom was just collateral damage. As is the new normal the chances of finding and prosecuting whoever murdered this mom is nothing short of a pathetic joke. My "rant" here will tick off more off my fellow posters than the murder of this poor mom ever will.
Maybe a candlelight vigil or a community organized march to end the violence will finally make a difference. Sorry, my bad I am ranting again, shame on me. :roll:
My wife hears my boring and redundant and pointless opinion everyday. Your pointless input is bullchit that I flush down the toilet. How is that cocaine damaged ticker doing? Pathetic such a smart guy chose to snort his future up his nose. You make my defects of character insignificant by comparison. I hope you have made plans for your kids when your ticker finally explodes. You chose to get personal... Judge others lest you be judged yourself. No effing coke head will ever pass judgement on me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Par for the course among right wingers here.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:55 am

My wife hears my boring and redundant and pointless opinion everyday. Your pointless input is bullchit that I flush down the toilet. How is that cocaine damaged ticker doing? Pathetic such a smart guy chose to snort his future up his nose. You make my defects of character insignificant by comparison. I hope you have made plans for your kids when your ticker finally explodes. You chose to get personal... Judge others lest you be judged yourself. No effing coke head will ever pass judgement on me.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”