All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: All Things Russia

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:31 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm Putin was probably responding to the success of the US Women's Soccer team.

You Russophobes are so insecure.
And you and Infowars are all together chortling about Putin is succeeding.
He's succeeding because of you & your fellow TDS McCarthyites.

You questioned my post about CNN's non-coverage on Trump's speech, but I can no longer locate the post.
If you watched on CNN, you missed the fly overs of Marine, Navy & Army aircraft
& maybe the Blue Angels, depending of if/when CNN resumed coverage.
nah, they only missed one flyover.
They did cut away for a moment, but then came back. I flipped back to Fox, but then right back again 2-3mins later.

You're just whining because they didn't cover it like it was a more important event than all the other patriotic celebrations of the day.
Trumpists whine at every turn. Gotta be something.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

OS when you deconstructions t his posts seems to pretty much always directly or indirectly fit in nicely with Russia
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 pm OS when you deconstructions t his posts seems to pretty much always directly or indirectly fit in nicely with Russia
It’s actually sad.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm Putin was probably responding to the success of the US Women's Soccer team.

You questioned my post about CNN's non-coverage on Trump's speech, but I can no longer locate the post.
They did cut away for a moment, but then came back. I flipped back to Fox, but then right back again 2-3mins later.

You're just whining because they didn't cover it like it was a more important event than all the other patriotic celebrations of the day.
I just pointed out that they cut away during the flyover. Had I been watching on CNN I would probably have missed the Navy flyover of 2 F-18 Super Hornets & 2 brand new F-35C's in a perfect diamond formation.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 pm

I just pointed out that they cut away during the flyover. Had I been watching on CNN I would probably have missed the Navy flyover of 2 F-18 Super Hornets & 2 brand new F-35C's in a perfect diamond formation.
yes, they did cut away shortly before one of the flyovers. But came back.

I thought the TV aspect of the flyovers was quite unimpressive, indeed a bit sad, at least until the last couple, including the Blue Angels.
It was quite obviously a perfunctory performance.

In person it might have been more exciting, but on TV quite ho hum.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Gee wiz! That's sounds far out!

old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 pm I thought the TV aspect of the flyovers was quite unimpressive, indeed a bit sad, at least until the last couple, including the Blue Angels.
Sad, perfunctory ? There are FAA restrictions on what can be done when overflying a crowd.
A single pass, at altitude, is all you can do. Even the Blues were constricted in what they could do.
At airshows in the US, notice that the show centerline is over a runway or body of water, with significant crowd standoff distances.
The service chiefs were happy to do the fly overs. They showed off their newest, most capable aircraft.
These fly overs were comprised of 24 aircraft. The '91 Gulf War celebration fly over totaled 82 aircraft.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 pm I thought the TV aspect of the flyovers was quite unimpressive, indeed a bit sad, at least until the last couple, including the Blue Angels.
Sad, perfunctory ? There are FAA restrictions on what can be done when overflying a crowd.
A single pass, at altitude, is all you can do. Even the Blues were constricted in what they could do.
At airshows in the US, notice that the show centerline is over a runway or body of water, with significant crowd standoff distances.
The service chiefs were happy to do the fly overs. They showed off their newest, most capable aircraft.
These fly overs were comprised of 24 aircraft. The '91 Gulf War celebration fly over totaled 82 aircraft.
Like I said, SAD.
Perfunctory...on TV.

I'm sure it was more entertaining in person.
A few years ago we had a Blue Angels experience over Baltimore.
My wife and I were with a large group of friends on top of the renovated Natty Boh building.
Very cool, multiple roaring passes, low.
Perhaps the regs are different for DC, but it wasn't a single pass 'at altitude'.

But on TV this came across as pro forma.
That's obviously because our video experience lens is biased by movies etc.

Would a lot more aircraft have been more impressive on TV? sure.
In the '91 celebration you cite, 82 aircraft is a lot more than the 24 of the '19.
But TV is inevitably going to mute the impact relative to in person.

My objection isn't to an air show. They're cool.

My objection is to this President trying to pretend an affinity for the military, wrapping himself falsely in a flag of patriotism.
Worse, on the Nation's birthday, when we celebrate our freedoms as a full community.

Not only did he cowardly lie about bone spurs, he attacks fundamental constitutional principles and American values. So many examples, but "Fake News" and "Enemies of the State" is #1.

And he used the event to reward political donors...disgusting.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-the-tr ... 00831.html

Seth Rich Conspiracy— from Russia SVR through Steve Bannon and Fox News to the hearts and minds of morons. All to deflect from the real WikiLeaks story. Steve Bannon told CBS it was a huge story, a contract kill. Hannity claimed the FBI found contact with WikiLeaks on the Rich computer. A lie. Hannity said it exposed the greatest scandal in US history.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

A few years ago we had a Blue Angels experience over Baltimore.
My wife and I were with a large group of friends on top of the renovated Natty Boh building.
Very cool, multiple roaring passes, low.
Perhaps the regs are different for DC, but it wasn't a single pass 'at altitude'.
How many years ago ? The regs were changed in the '80's after the Ramstein Air Show disaster.
You probably saw their entire air show routine.
They likely had a show centerline over the harbor, which gave them an aerobatic box over the water, with lateral separation from the crowd.
In Annapolis, they do their entire routine, with the low passes in an aerobatic box over the Severn river.
They do a single pass, at altitude, over the stadium for the graduation ceremony.
2019 Blue Angels Support Manual
^^ For airshow airspace block & aerobatic box dimensions, scroll all the down to the last 3 pages of the document, Enclosure (2).
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I can speak to herm point at least in places in Eastern Russia.

Opinion: Rivers Of Blood, Black Snow — What Rich Men Did To My Russian Hometown
Heavy industry made my hometown look like a post-apocalyptic wasteland, where rivers run red and the snow is black. It also made some men very rich.

Irina Yarinskaya / AFP / Getty Images
A stray polar bear outside a mine on the outskirts of the Russian industrial city of Norilsk in June.
Today wimp Riot released a new music video, Black Snow, alongside an open letter to Russian President Vladimir Putin by member Nadya Tolokonnikova. This is an edited excerpt of that letter.

Hey hey, Mr. President, it’s Nadya Tolokonnikova.

You might remember that two-year prison sentence you slapped me with back in 2012, when I performed a 40-second act of protest and beseeched the Virgin Mary to chase you away. I was 22 at the time, and my young daughter Gera had just turned four. But right now I’m not interested in talking about church or prison – I want to talk about a different issue. I want to talk about rivers of blood, black snow, toxic waste, and acid rain.

You fill the Russian North with unprocessed garbage. You criminalize ecological activists — see the 5 new cases against Alexandra Koroleva, the co-chair of Ecodefense. Meanwhile, the inhabitants of Kuzbass are forced to seek environmental asylum in Canada to escape intolerable living conditions, high rates of oncological illness, black snow, poisoned water, and the indifference of local government officials. People in Kuzbass ask: “How can you be a patriot of something or someone who won’t even notice how we live? How we breathe? What we drink?.” This is completely unacceptable.

I was born and raised in the polar, industrial city of Norilsk – a city built on bones. The city was built by prisoners from the Norilsk Corrective Labor Camp, and over 500,000 people came through there from 1935 to 1953 – one in three prisoners perished while building the city. In Norilsk, winter lasts nine months, with temperatures as low as -49 degrees Fahrenheit, and winds that go up to 55 miles per hour. Snow starts to fall in September, followed by nine months of winter, black blizzards, and permafrost. If that wasn’t enough to undermine the health of the locals, our icy hell is also deadly and toxic thanks to the heavy industry that dominate the city.

As a kid I used to play in slag. We had giant mountains of it in our backyards, and little bunches of grass would grow through them. As a six year old, I would rake up the slag and bring buckets of water from my house so these little patches of grass could grow.

The trees around Norilsk are dead. Their black branches pierce the sky, like in a post-apocalyptic movie. Their leaves have necrosis from acid rain. My hometown produces the following kind of headlines: “A river in Norilsk has become ‘bloody’ again,” or “Bloody rain over Norilsk.” People post Instagrams of the blood-red rain that falls from the sky.

Here’s a short list of what gets dumped in the rivers there: iron, nickel, petroleum products, lead, copper, chlorides, nitrates, calcium, magnesium, phosphates, zinc. Here’s what goes in the air: sulfur dioxide, nitrates, sulfates, phenols, industrial dust, heavy metals.

Sometimes you can’t see the neighboring houses in Norilsk because of the air pollution. I’ve never seen an aurora in Norilsk – the sky is smog.

Instagram: @undefined
When you go outside, you have to wrap yourself up in scarf – not just because of the blizzards, but because the sulfur dioxide in the air burns your eyes, nose, mouth, and lungs. When combined with water, sulfur dioxide turns into sulfuric acid. If the trees get necrosis from the acid, what do you think is happening to our lungs? Nobody the hell knows.

In the morning, people make their way to school. A classmate of mine steps outside and starts coughing. She says that the air burns her lungs. heck. Like many others, she has had asthma since childhood – people with asthma can barely handle the pollution. Doctors say that people living in Norilsk are twice as likely as other people to develop cancer. On average, the life expectancy in Norilsk is 10 years shorter than in other parts of Russia.

The fortunes of some of Russia’s richest men were built by the labor of people forced to live in some of the dirtiest cities in the world. By some accounts, the amount of toxic waste in Norilsk exceeds even Chernobyl.

So, to President Putin:

Soon we will create a progressive, Russian environmental party. We will have a majority in parliament, we will cooperate with the management of the country, and we will be as thick as thieves.

To everyone else:

Corporations, especially those that use natural resources, cannot exist without public control. Each of us should be able to see and influence what they do. The decisions made by corporations don’t just affect the rich and powerful – they affect me, you, some guy, and the kids and grandkids of that guy. Toxic emissions don’t dissolve – they accumulate and cause mutations in humans and animals alike, and they will lead to irreversible environmental catastrophe.

I’m not suggesting that we immediately close all factories, but the way I see it, humanity has two options. Either we leave things as they are and we just die out, turning our planet into places like Chernobyl and Norilsk. Or we figure out how to build a technologically advanced civilization with clean industries.

The lack of corporate oversight is not a uniquely Russian problem – activists all over the world are calling on businesses to take responsibility for their actions. But in Russia, the corporations are especially heinous because of the hellish corruption in the country. The rule of law doesn’t apply to them. What we can do is take power into our own hands, and this takes a certain level of arrogance. We need to act like we have already won – we need to act like we live in a clean Russia of the future, where we elect and be elected, where the media is free and independent, where we can create autonomous environmental watchdogs, where we can support Great Thunberg and “Fridays for Future,” and where we can go outside and be organic kittens.

I love you – but I don’t love Putin.

xx Nadya

wimp Riot
"Eat the rich"

wimp Riot
Nadya Tolokonnikova is a conceptual artist and political activist from Russia and the founder of the art collective, wimp Riot.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Recently seen: From the Russian Embassy

#OTD in 1916 most successful female sniper in history (309 confirmed Nazi kills), Soviet #WWII heroine Lyudmila Pavlichenko was born. She addressed Americans in 1942: I am 25 & have already eliminated 309 Nazis. Don't you think you have been hiding behind my back long enough?

She is Ukrainian. Russia killed a lot of Ukrainians back in the day and still does They are trying to erase them from the books when they can
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If the stories broadcast by the Trump-endorsed One America News Network sometimes look like outtakes from a Kremlin trolling operation, there may be a reason. One of the on-air reporters at the 24-hour network is a Russian national on the payroll of the Kremlin’s official propaganda outlet, Sputnik.

Kristian Brunovich Rouz, originally from the Siberian city of Novosibirsk, has been living in San Diego, where OAN is based, since August 2017, reporting on U.S. politics for the 24-hour news channel. For all of that time, he’s been simultaneously writing for Sputnik, a Kremlin-owned news wire that played a role in Russia’s 2016 election-interference operation, according to an assessment by the U.S. intelligence community.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/oan-trump ... journalist
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Vladimir has some pro-democracy protests, arrests 1400
tech37

Post by tech37 »

"Although a technical violation, the DOJ did not want to “make its first case against the Russia investigators with such thin margins and look petty and vindictive,” a source told me, explaining the DOJ’s rationale."

Smart.

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/4 ... or-leaking
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Because it was only Confidential and classified after the fact. You left that out.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Ahhh.. Only silly ole' Confidential clearance so yea that makes alright.

(3) ‘‘Confidential’’ shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

After the fact. Comey told us he did it on TV when he said Trump asked him to let Flynn skate. It would be a ridiculous charge. This ain’t the Deep State.

Be more worried about Mitch and his x-staffers working for Russian oligarch Deripaska. Remember him? Manafort’s boy? Sanctioned. Mnuchin got him out of that. Now makes major investment in Majority Leader. Controls the Senate? Who knows?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... ct-1442550
Last edited by Trinity on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Trinity wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:07 am After the fact. Comey told us he did it on TV when he said Trump asked him to let Flynn skate. It would be a ridiculous charge. This ain’t the Deep State.

Be more worried about Mitch and his x-staffers working for Russian oligarch Deripaska. Remember him? Manafort’s boy?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... ct-1442550
Patriots don't care about stuff like that.

Return to “POLITICS”