Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:52 pm Sorry if this has been posted already, but any word on Bernhardt’s plans for next year?
Not as yet.
Live Free or Die!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:42 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:52 pm Sorry if this has been posted already, but any word on Bernhardt’s plans for next year?
Not as yet.
QB at 'Bama
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

From one of the other boards
it looks like Grill might be the only one coming back. Others might depending on what happens with the pandemic and all of that.
Coming into Maryland Grill was probably on a two year track to get his degree. That will help to bring back Sr depth on the defense. They will be very young there. With the exception of Bernhardt I would not be surprised to see the others move on. Still hoping Bernhardt returns.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:42 pm From one of the other boards
it looks like Grill might be the only one coming back. Others might depending on what happens with the pandemic and all of that.
Coming into Maryland Grill was probably on a two year track to get his degree. That will help to bring back Sr depth on the defense. They will be very young there. With the exception of Bernhardt I would not be surprised to see the others move on. Still hoping Bernhardt returns.
Bernhardt and Grill are the only starters, so yeah anyone else coming back would be p shocking. I suppose Welding could but after an injury and probably not likely to get a starting spot...might make more sense to move on.

Still think they move Burlace down to Close D and him, Makar, and Grill (if he is coming back) is the starting group there next year. That could turn out to be a really good group.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:49 pm
Still think they move Burlace down to Close D and him, Makar, and Grill (if he is coming back) is the starting group there next year. That could turn out to be a really good group.
Matt Rahill was starting at close defense for the Terps, when the season shut down.
Live Free or Die!
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Interesting. Men’s Lax is largest “non revenue” sport in income after women’s gymnastics. I don’t understand why women’s gymnastics would generate so much income. UMD has a lot to decide if FB/BB income falls significantly and cuts need to be made. There has also been no indication that UMD will allow 5th year for its spring sport seniors.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I also thought the Gymnastics was odd. Maybe they can do paid performance, if you are allowed to do something like that.

In the interviews Tillman has done about whether Bernhardt is coming back he has not said they are not taking back players. Only seen 2 announcements for players not coming back on the women’s team.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:15 am I also thought the Gymnastics was odd. Maybe they can do paid performance, if you are allowed to do something like that.

In the interviews Tillman has done about whether Bernhardt is coming back he has not said they are not taking back players. Only seen 2 announcements for players not coming back on the women’s team.
Gymnastics can be an extremely well attended and supported sport at many schools; don’t know a lot about the gym program at UMD but perhaps that is the case.

Based on Hartshorn’s post it seems like she had the option and chose not to take it. With the other B1G’s allowing 5th years for spring sports (Wisconsin didn’t but the lacrosse schools have); it would be a little weird for Maryland not to, but we’ll see.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:35 pm Based on Hartshorn’s post it seems like she had the option and chose not to take it. With the other B1G’s allowing 5th years for spring sports (Wisconsin didn’t but the lacrosse schools have); it would be a little weird for Maryland not to, but we’ll see.
It seems from reporting on other sites that it's up to each program to go to Maryland's AD and make the case for each returning player (I have thoughts for another time about what this strategy means from an organizational perspective, but I digress). Honestly, I was surprised Cathy wouldn't want Kali back. Haven't seen anything about Brindi if she wants to come back, but I might have missed it. Just Doherty and Kali.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:33 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:35 pm Based on Hartshorn’s post it seems like she had the option and chose not to take it. With the other B1G’s allowing 5th years for spring sports (Wisconsin didn’t but the lacrosse schools have); it would be a little weird for Maryland not to, but we’ll see.
It seems from reporting on other sites that it's up to each program to go to Maryland's AD and make the case for each returning player (I have thoughts for another time about what this strategy means from an organizational perspective, but I digress). Honestly, I was surprised Cathy wouldn't want Kali back. Haven't seen anything about Brindi if she wants to come back, but I might have missed it. Just Doherty and Kali.
I think she did want her back; the way Kali described it she chose to move on. She outright said she decided not to return to Maryland for a 5th year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:40 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:33 pm
I think she did want her back; the way Kali described it she chose to move on. She outright said she decided not to return to Maryland for a 5th year.
So the Ladies twitter just put out a Sr day tweet. They didn’t list Brandi or Liz. We already knew Liz was doing a medical red-shirt this season. So my take away is that Brindi is coming back. Most of the others Sr listed didn’t see much playing time. Just Doherty and Kali were the other big players
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Hard to know if Tillman will have much money for transfers.
The Terps seem pretty full-up with players.
4 FO men return
3 goalies return with 1 freshman arriving
2 starting close D men return, even if Grill doesn't, with BJ Burlace already added, and a highly touted freshman in Shirtzer.
3 LSMs return: Geppert, Sherrer and Ubriaco
All 4 regular ssdms return
Starting midfield returns and Kyle Long
2 starters on attack return, even if Bernhardt doesn't.
3 top 20 incoming freshmen attackmen showing up.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Tim Rotanz is retiring from pro lacrosse:
https://twitter.com/TerpsMLax/status/12 ... 4806873088

Tim Rotanz is currently an assistant coach for LIU.
Live Free or Die!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Cooter wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 pm Tim Rotanz is retiring from pro lacrosse:
https://twitter.com/TerpsMLax/status/12 ... 4806873088

Tim Rotanz is currently an assistant coach for LIU.
Retiring? What, is he 25 already ;)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Family Ties, Respect Run Strong Through Maryland-Hopkins Rivalry

Today would have been the last regular season game. I miss lacrosse
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Seahawk wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:17 am Interesting. Men’s Lax is largest “non revenue” sport in income after women’s gymnastics. I don’t understand why women’s gymnastics would generate so much income. UMD has a lot to decide if FB/BB income falls significantly and cuts need to be made. There has also been no indication that UMD will allow 5th year for its spring sport seniors.
The other way to look at this is MD is the third biggest deficit non-revenue sport, which I find to be far more alarming.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Colgate A Griffin Brown transferring to the Terps https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 1459819521
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:48 pm Colgate A Griffin Brown transferring to the Terps https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 1459819521
Do you play him at midfield or attack? Does this signal that Bernhardt is not coming back? Maybe Masci is not coming back?

Brown is listed at 6-1, 185 lbs

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”