Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 pm Nice to see the same guy talking to himself on a forum.....and they say I have issues 😂😂

Additionally, nice to see you all could care less about the environment and only cash, jobs, and taxes....eff the earth right?,right!

Recycling is fine for natural resources like aluminum, copper, metals. Was speaking of the household crapola of paper and plastics and glass....so much so, that many places are now saying just put it into the regular trash. But of course your quick google search shows you know better. 🥱
You may want to simply start with #5.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... gedin=true
Great article. My city does single stream recycling and I notice that most houses on my block now use a larger bin for the weekly recycling pickup, as compared to a smaller bin for household trash. We also now shop smarter to buy products with less plastic.

Personal choice and an educated consumer can make a difference, but it is up to the individual.. Those that think it makes no difference will continue to damage The Commons...
Hey...even I can post links....
Silly National Geographic...https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/16/busi ... costs.html

As Costs Skyrocket, More U.S. Cities Stop Recycling
With China no longer accepting used plastic and paper, communities are facing steep collection bills, forcing them to end their programs or burn or bury more waste.

WRT to Single Stream.....My point exactly, you feel better, but it is not better.
In a Resource Recycling article, Daniel Lantz concludes that the proposed benefits of single-stream systems over dual-stream do not outweigh their costs:

In summary, with increased processing costs and lost revenues in total far exceeding collection savings in most instances (and zero under alternating-week collection), overall single-stream recycling does not show the cost advantage that was originally anticipated. As well, the expected increases in capture rate are also not apparent. Overall, dual-stream recycling still appears to be more advantageous.1
China stopped taking our crap or it has to be much cleaner before they take it. It’s gotten more expensive for us. I have worked several waste company deals over the past 3 years…. Just worked on one last week. Recycling is stupid…. It’s like Hillary tripping and falling😂😂

https://e360.yale.edu/features/piling-u ... -recycling
What sorts of deals have you been working on?
What are the economics?

Clearly, as consumers we need to find better ways, for instance we haven't bought water in bottles for many years now; have large, refilled dispenser in kitchen and metal large cups and bottles which keep liquids cold or hot...no throwaway. And frankly, I like my liquids either cold or hot!

Anything we can do to reduce thruway culture, and or use easily biodegradable materials, seems to me on the right path...recycling what we can, but emphasizing the former.

We also compost all we can.

does it take a small bit of consciousness? sure.
But not a big deal once you get in the habit.

But I'm sure there's more we could do...helps a lot when large companies provide better packaging and distribution systems, and we learn to adapt to using them, preferring them.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 pm Nice to see the same guy talking to himself on a forum.....and they say I have issues 😂😂

Additionally, nice to see you all could care less about the environment and only cash, jobs, and taxes....eff the earth right?,right!

Recycling is fine for natural resources like aluminum, copper, metals. Was speaking of the household crapola of paper and plastics and glass....so much so, that many places are now saying just put it into the regular trash. But of course your quick google search shows you know better. 🥱
You may want to simply start with #5.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... gedin=true
Great article. My city does single stream recycling and I notice that most houses on my block now use a larger bin for the weekly recycling pickup, as compared to a smaller bin for household trash. We also now shop smarter to buy products with less plastic.

Personal choice and an educated consumer can make a difference, but it is up to the individual.. Those that think it makes no difference will continue to damage The Commons...
Hey...even I can post links....
Silly National Geographic...https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/16/busi ... costs.html

As Costs Skyrocket, More U.S. Cities Stop Recycling
With China no longer accepting used plastic and paper, communities are facing steep collection bills, forcing them to end their programs or burn or bury more waste.

WRT to Single Stream.....My point exactly, you feel better, but it is not better.
In a Resource Recycling article, Daniel Lantz concludes that the proposed benefits of single-stream systems over dual-stream do not outweigh their costs:

In summary, with increased processing costs and lost revenues in total far exceeding collection savings in most instances (and zero under alternating-week collection), overall single-stream recycling does not show the cost advantage that was originally anticipated. As well, the expected increases in capture rate are also not apparent. Overall, dual-stream recycling still appears to be more advantageous.1
China stopped taking our crap or it has to be much cleaner before they take it. It’s gotten more expensive for us. I have worked several waste company deals over the past 3 years…. Just worked on one last week. Recycling is stupid…. It’s like Hillary tripping and falling😂😂

https://e360.yale.edu/features/piling-u ... -recycling
What sorts of deals have you been working on?
What are the economics?

Clearly, as consumers we need to find better ways, for instance we haven't bought water in bottles for many years now; have large, refilled dispenser in kitchen and metal large cups and bottles which keep liquids cold or hot...no throwaway. And frankly, I like my liquids either cold or hot!

Anything we can do to reduce thruway culture, and or use easily biodegradable materials, seems to me on the right path...recycling what we can, but emphasizing the former.

We also compost all we can.

does it take a small bit of consciousness? sure.
But not a big deal once you get in the habit.

But I'm sure there's more we could do...helps a lot when large companies provide better packaging and distribution systems, and we learn to adapt to using them, preferring them.
Acquisitions and one moved into an adjacent market involving energy credits. Building scale and leveraging transportation expense is key, among other things.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nice to see we all agree.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 pm Nice to see we all agree.
Yep….you have been wasting your money.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:59 pm
Yep, and China has been polluting the globe instead of us the entire time, but hey, we can get rich off this ‘trash’. 🤗
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:05 pm
Yep, and China has been polluting the globe instead of us the entire time, but hey, we can get rich off this ‘trash’. 🤗
:lol: :lol: :lol: recycling is not the same thing as “not polluting”. You should know that, ace.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Hmmmmm. Seems no one here is discussing the elephant in the room.

“The frequency and brutality of anti-Asian violence have made "Stop Asian Hate" a popular hashtag and protest slogan this year. Still, America has yet to grapple with a core part of the problem: black-on-Asian crime and racism.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... n-violence
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: recycling is not the same thing as “not polluting”. You should know that, ace.
Stick to banking. How do you think all that plastic and paper gets re-cycled, foo-foo powder? How about you heat up some plastic, then huff it....lemma know if its as richening as your inhale with an N95. :lol:
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:54 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 pm
Stick to banking. How do you think all that plastic and paper gets re-cycled, foo-foo powder? How about you heat up some plastic, then huff it....lemma know if its as richening as your inhale with an N95. :lol:
As usual, you misunderstand the statement. Stick with twitter.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/c ... s/3114714/

I'm reminded of that scene in American Graffiti where they hook the rear end of the cop car up to a chain... HERE'S ONE FOR JUSTICE!!
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:55 pm https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/c ... s/3114714/

I'm reminded of that scene in American Graffiti where they hook the rear end of the cop car up to a chain... HERE'S ONE FOR JUSTICE!!
Not ok.
Those who can be clearly identified as actual looters should be prosecuted for the crime.
Period.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:55 pm https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/c ... s/3114714/

Not ok.
Those who can be clearly identified as actual looters should be prosecuted for the crime.
Period.
Who knows why those cases are not prosecuted. Maybe trespassing is all that can stick?

https://innocenceproject.org/guilty-ple ... e-decline/

Trials are actually rare in this country. Most people in jail, never had a “trial”.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... trial.html

If defendants all held out for trial, the back up would be 10s of years for every case to have a trial. We would need to expand the justice system by multiples.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:07 pm

Not ok.
Period.
Who knows why those cases are not prosecuted. Maybe trespassing is all that can stick?

Trials are actually rare in this country. Most people in jail, never had a “trial”.
Sounds like pandemic back log is the biggest reason.
Perfectly fine to let anyone not well identified off the hook, but if they have them on tape stealing, really should prosecute.
Not because it'll change anything that has already occurred, but because it can't simply be acceptable to loot...for next time.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Not ok.
Period.

Perfectly fine to let anyone not well identified off the hook, but if they have them on tape stealing, really should prosecute.
Not because it'll change anything that has already occurred, but because it can't simply be acceptable to loot...for next time.
My guess is seeing someone in the store may lead to trespassing unless you can “prove” that person walked out the store with stolen property. The fact that it’s highly likely may not be good enough for a prosecutor. The legal system is strange. I am not sure how much evidence is needed to get a conviction. Video of the person coming in, stealing stuff, and then walking out with it is a good start. If there is no indisputable video of the person coming out or physical evidence left behind it may be hard. What seems like easy cases to prosecute may not be so easy. I have always said, the legal system is not about if a person committed a crime or not. It’s whether you can convince someone that the person is guilty or if you can convince someone that the person is innocent….little to do with whether a person actually did or didn’t do something. We have plenty of people that committed a crime and got off and we have plenty of people that didn’t and are locked up. I would love to hear from the prosecutors why each of those cases were dismissed and how they came to settle on the charges for others.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Not ok.
Period.
Apparently the police put in many hours sifting through video to find the thieves. All that hard work and time spent and with almost nothing to show for it. My take from the article is the police are not very happy with the decision to not prosecute people they think they built up a solid case against. They understand the next time there are riots and looting the end result will be the same. This has to be frustrating to police beyond words.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Not ok.
Period.

My guess is seeing someone in the store may lead to trespassing unless you can “prove” that person walked out the store with stolen property. The fact that it’s highly likely may not be good enough for a prosecutor. The legal system is strange. I am not sure how much evidence is needed to get a conviction. Video of the person coming in, stealing stuff, and then walking out with it is a good start. If there is no indisputable video of the person coming out or physical evidence left behind it may be hard. What seems like easy cases to prosecute may not be so easy. I have always said, the legal system is not about if a person committed a crime or not. It’s whether you can convince someone that the person is guilty or if you can convince someone that the person is innocent….little to do with whether a person actually did or didn’t do something. We have plenty of people that committed a crime and got off and we have plenty of people that didn’t and are locked up. I would love to hear from the prosecutors why each of those cases were dismissed and how they came to settle on the charges for others.
My take is that the NYPD did exactly that. They spent a lot of time sorting through all the video evidence. IMO it seems like it was just too much of a nuisance for the DAs office to prosecute all these cases. You may not win but refusing to even try just seems wrong.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Not ok.
Period.

My take is that the NYPD did exactly that. They spent a lot of time sorting through all the video evidence. IMO it seems like it was just too much of a nuisance for the DAs office to prosecute all these cases. You may not win but refusing to even try just seems wrong.
Unfortunately that’s our system of justice. My advice is “don’t get caught up in it”.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:13 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Not ok.
Period.

Unfortunately that’s our system of justice. My advice is “don’t get caught up in it”.
That is good advice.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not ok.
Period.

yes, that's why I said "on tape stealing" as opposed to "on tape trespassing"...the latter should be prosecuted, but obviously less of a priority. But do prosecute those you can convict of actually stealing. Same for destroying property.

Can't just give this stuff a pass.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Not ok.
Period.

yes, that's why I said "on tape stealing" as opposed to "on tape trespassing"...the latter should be prosecuted, but obviously less of a priority. But do prosecute those you can convict of actually stealing. Same for destroying property.

Can't just give this stuff a pass.
No you can’t give them a pass. That’s why I mentioned if you can see a person come in, pick up something and then walk out, you have a good case. I don’t know which cases were dropped and the reason. I would love to know. All I know is that cases that I thought were slam dunk cases, often aren’t. Same goes for destroying property. I would prosecute anything that I felt was a winnable case.

Return to “POLITICS”