All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am Just heard last night that when my son and my mother stopped in SC to see my niece and nephew who both live and work there, they had dinner out one night. One of three tables at the restaurant, they ate outside, though in a narrow alley, so not exactly fully out in the open. My son was horrified when the server came without a mask and stood over them...my 83 yr old mom was oblivious. It not only was the server, but what did that say about the kitchen? My son said very few people had masks on in the streets, in various places where people were indeed congregating. Maybe they'll get lucky and the virus will go away magically.
The mask, sadly, has turned into a political football. And you can't explain to these people that it's no different than thousands of laws and mores we follow everyday to keep our fellow citizens safe. Stopping at a red light comes to mind. Not throwing a used tissue on a coworker's desk is another.

People have been shot over these things. And of, course, you get the screaming lefty Karens who scream at people in parks if they're not wearing them. America's culture is unable to handle pandemics.
Yup. My son said to me this morning, 'do we not cough into our hands or sleeve or napkin? do we not turn away if we sneeze? That's not to keep ourselves from getting sick, right? In the midst of a pandemic is it really too much to expect us to wear a mask?'

Now, of course, he's been living in China, traveling throughout Asia, where people regularly wear masks and no one thinks anything of it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:55 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:28 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am Just heard last night that when my son and my mother stopped in SC to see my niece and nephew who both live and work there, they had dinner out one night. One of three tables at the restaurant, they ate outside, though in a narrow alley, so not exactly fully out in the open. My son was horrified when the server came without a mask and stood over them...my 83 yr old mom was oblivious. It not only was the server, but what did that say about the kitchen? My son said very few people had masks on in the streets, in various places where people were indeed congregating. Maybe they'll get lucky and the virus will go away magically.
The mask, sadly, has turned into a political football. And you can't explain to these people that it's no different than thousands of laws and mores we follow everyday to keep our fellow citizens safe. Stopping at a red light comes to mind. Not throwing a used tissue on a coworker's desk is another.

People have been shot over these things. And of, course, you get the screaming lefty Karens who scream at people in parks if they're not wearing them. America's culture is unable to handle pandemics.
Your musing on this topic reminds me of a famous quote by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
“When the ignorant are taught to doubt, they do not know what they safely may believe.”
So if masks work why social distancing?

If social distancing works why masks?

If masks work why are small businesses forced to stay closed?

If masks don't wok why are we forced to wear them?
How dare you even think that way....have you no concern for your fellow man. ;)

They have zero respect for anyone who needs and wants to work.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Your musing on this topic reminds me of a famous quote by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
“When the ignorant are taught to doubt, they do not know what they safely may believe.”

sorry, this a very dumb train of thought.

Yes, masks help us not spread to others. But they don't protect completely. They don't prevent completely.

So does staying 6 feet apart, but 6 feet is inadequate in an enclosed setting and it's inadequate to stop a sneeze or cough or singing from having a much further trajectory.

so, both mask and 6ft together help. But even together they are not total protection or prevention.

If possible, outside is much better than inside, with a mask and 6 ft apart!

If inside, then ventilation is essential as mask and 6ft is definitely not enough. But they do help!

Self hygiene, hand washing etc, and general surface cleansing all help.

Not congregating in large groups dramatically reduces likelihood of large infection spread from a single contact point.

We do ALL of this to prevent rapid spread that no one knows about until days or more likely weeks later.

Is it really such a hardship to wear a mask, stay 6ft away, avoid crowds, wash our hands, clean our spaces, do things outside when we can?

Bunch of snowflakes whining about how awful it is to do these things in the midst of a pandemic, so that we can all get back to most work and most play!
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun May 24, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:58 pm

They have zero respect for anyone who needs and wants to work.
Exactly the opposite.
Wear the damn mask and we can all get back to most work and most play.

The idiots who won't help out endanger everyone, no one more so than the people on the front lines in hospitals and our elderly loved ones.

Jerks. Snowflakes.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlax is right, of course. Sooner we get the disease under control, the sooner the economy will recover. But since the mask has turned into a political game, we have millions who refuse to wear them.

So they are prolonging the economic damage. Any virologist can show them the simple science and math on that.

We're dealing with a numbers game.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Yes, masks help us not spread to others. But they don't protect completely. They don't prevent completely.

So does staying 6 feet apart, but 6 feet is inadequate in an enclosed setting and it's inadequate to stop a sneeze or cough or singing from having a much further trajectory.

so, both mask and 6ft together help. But even together they are not total protection or prevention.

If inside, then ventilation is essential as mask and 6ft is definitely not enough. But they do help!

Not congregating in large groups dramatically reduces likelihood of large infection spread from a single contact point.

We do ALL of this to prevent rapid spread that no one knows about until days or more likely weeks later.

Is it really such a hardship to wear a mask, stay 6ft away, avoid crowds, wash our hands, clean our spaces, do things outside when we can?

Bunch of snowflakes whining about how awful it is to do these things in the midst of a pandemic, so that we can all get back to most work and most play!
Thats a very dumb and labored rationalization. Shove the snowflake stuff. You keep telling us how high above that sort of thing you are.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Sun May 24, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:51 pm MDlax is right, of course. Sooner we get the disease under control, the sooner the economy will recover. But since the mask has turned into a political game, we have millions who refuse to wear them.

So they are prolonging the economic damage. Any virologist can show them the simple science and math on that.

What a crock of leipoid brother.

Warren county PA has had 3 cases and no deaths. They're shut down.

There are cases like that all all across the country.

You wear the damn mask
a fan

Post by a fan »

Strangely enough, I was born in Warren, PA. My dad was the architect for a Federal Park facility right by the city, along the Allegheny River.

Don't wear the mask. Fine by me.

Told ya. it's a political football.
njbill

Post by njbill »

6ftstick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:13 pm Warren county PA has had 3 cases and no deaths. They're shut down.
Not true. Warren County is currently in the yellow phase (partially reopened) and will move to green in five days.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:13 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:51 pm MDlax is right, of course. Sooner we get the disease under control, the sooner the economy will recover. But since the mask has turned into a political game, we have millions who refuse to wear them.

What a crock of leipoid brother.

Warren county PA has had 3 cases and no deaths. They're shut down.

There are cases like that all all across the country.

You wear the damn mask

MD and a fan are shamelessly carrying the Democrats water, full stop. The idea is to harm Trump by stopping the economy.

No one with a functioning brain thinks this virus is dangerous to most citizens, especially as you trend younger; in other words, most of the workforce.

a fan is correct about one thing; it’s political. Except he won’t admit who’s doing the politicking.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm No one with a functioning brain thinks this virus is dangerous to most citizens, especially as you trend younger; in other words, most of the workforce.
Quoted for posterity.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

I was able to join a "Book Break" this afternoon through Zoom with John Barry who wrote a respected book on the Great Influenza of 1918-1919. Here's a link to his book that came out in 2004:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenza- ... 136&sr=8-1

He was asked to compare the Influenza of 1918-19 to Covid-19 today. His response was that there are two major differences, lethality and timing.
He explained that the Influenza of history was far more lethal, which I didn't realize.

The timing of Covid-19 is much slower, which creates problems of its own. In 1918, some people died in 24 hours, so it was much more dramatic and alarming. This understandably alarmed people and caused them to stay home. Also, people would bleed from the mouth, nose and even their eyes and ears which was terrifying and helped enforce social distancing.
Covid-19 has a 14 day incubation period, which makes it more difficult to see cause and effect. Also, the duration of Covid-19 is typically much longer. The longer timing of Covid-19 also necessitates longer quarantines, which obviously entails more economic issues.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm MD and a fan are shamelessly carrying the Democrats water, full stop. The idea is to harm Trump by stopping the economy.
And how is it you think wearing a mask "stops the economy"?

Take your time. Explain how wearing a mask stops any economic activity. I'm all ears. What's that you say? Oh, right, wearing a mask does nothing to stop the economy.

Right, the UK shut down their economy to hurt Trump. I thought you guys got this stupidity out of your system a few weeks ago?
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm No one with a functioning brain thinks this virus is dangerous to most citizens, especially as you trend younger; in other words, most of the workforce.
Great. Then complain to your governor for not removing all restrictions immediately. Or is your .gov out to harm Trump, too?
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm a fan is correct about one thing; it’s political. Except he won’t admit who’s doing the politicking.
Nope. Wearing a mask is one of the few things that does zero-----zippo-----to harm the economy.

And yet here you are, claiming it does. There's literally no harm to wearing one. None. But you've managed to convince yourselves that it does.

Why? You just told us why. You think masks harm Trump, but cannot tell me how.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm MD and a fan are shamelessly carrying the Democrats water, full stop. The idea is to harm Trump by stopping the economy.
And how is it you think wearing a mask "stops the economy"?

Take your time. Explain how wearing a mask stops any economic activity. I'm all ears. What's that you say? Oh, right, wearing a mask does nothing to stop the economy.

Right, the UK shut down their economy to hurt Trump. I thought you guys got this stupidity out of your system a few weeks ago?
Great. Then complain to your governor for not removing all restrictions immediately. Or is your .gov out to harm Trump, too?
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm a fan is correct about one thing; it’s political. Except he won’t admit who’s doing the politicking.
Nope. Wearing a mask is one of the few things that does zero-----zippo-----to harm the economy.

And yet here you are, claiming it does. There's literally no harm to wearing one. None. But you've managed to convince yourselves that it does.

Why? You just told us why. You think masks harm Trump, but cannot tell me how.

I don’t care if people wear masks or not. In grocery stores I wear a mask out of courtesy to others. At work none of us do.

But many do not wear masks and it doesn’t bother me in the least. It shouldn’t bother anyone.
a fan

Post by a fan »

So you concede my point. Nicely done, Pete.

Masks don't harm the economy or Trump.

As for work-----where is work for you? Office building with how many people? Or in an open air hangar ?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

“Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”

― Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson's opinion dovetails in very nicely. I see massive amounts of fear in our country today. People are afraid of the unknown. Shutting the country down was easy, trying to convince people not to be afraid and get back to their lives. I don't know anybody who has that answer yet.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Thats a very dumb and labored rationalization. Shove the snowflake stuff. You keep telling us how high above that sort of thing you are.
nope, I'm not above telling someone to 'shove it' either.
Anyone whining about their 'rights' to not wear a mask is an outright jerk and a 'snowflake'.
could I use worse language? You betcha.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:03 pm So you concede my point. Nicely done, Pete.

Masks don't harm the economy or Trump.

As for work-----where is work for you? Office building with how many people? Or in an open air hangar ?

I didn’t think I was conceding your point. I thought your point was that masks should be legally compulsory which I would absolutely disagree with.

I’m in an office, on a plane, in hangars, and on a ramp all day long, mostly the office. Every employee is free to do what they wish.

I was just surf casting with my son and no one I saw on the beach had a mask. Again, I don’t care if people do or don’t wear a mask.

I think we all overreacted to a threat whose prime targets are easy enough to isolate. No one under 60 “who is healthy” has anything to worry about. And if you know you could be compromised, don’t go out much. Vaccine will be here soon.

I don’t buy the hysteria and fear and in fact, I believe most of it is politically driven. Truth.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm I didn’t think I was conceding your point. I thought your point was that masks should be legally compulsory which I would absolutely disagree with.
No, you're all over the place. My point was that wearing a mask doesn't hurt the economy in any way, shape, or form. You conceded that point, because of course you did. It's demonstrably true.

You'd THINK that guys like you who swear that they want to get the economy going would WANT governments to ask people to wear masks...anything to get people to feel a little safer, and anything that slows the virus down is good for the economy, is it not?

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm I think we all overreacted to a threat whose prime targets are easy enough to isolate.
Easy to say in hindsight. And everyone is soooo eager to play that pointless game.

As for the rest...you better hope that you're right, and that all your expertise and decades of work as a virologist pays off.

Because otherwise, we're in for a rough, rough year or two.
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm I don’t buy the hysteria and fear and in fact, I believe most of it is politically driven. Truth.
It's not truth. Countries around the world are locked down.....so how do you explain that? They all hate Trump, and that's why, right?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm I didn’t think I was conceding your point. I thought your point was that masks should be legally compulsory which I would absolutely disagree with.
No, you're all over the place. My point was that wearing a mask doesn't hurt the economy in any way, shape, or form. You conceded that point, because of course you did. It's demonstrably true.

You'd THINK that guys like you who swear that they want to get the economy going would WANT governments to ask people to wear masks...anything to get people to feel a little safer, and anything that slows the virus down is good for the economy, is it not?

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm I think we all overreacted to a threat whose prime targets are easy enough to isolate.
Easy to say in hindsight. And everyone is soooo eager to play that pointless game.

As for the rest...you better hope that you're right, and that all your expertise and decades of work as a virologist pays off.

Because otherwise, we're in for a rough, rough year or two.
Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm I don’t buy the hysteria and fear and in fact, I believe most of it is politically driven. Truth.
It's not truth. Countries around the world are locked down.....so how do you explain that? They all hate Trump, and that's why, right?

Lots to address here. First, a government ‘asking’ a citizen to do something versus “demanding” same are wildly different themes. You understand that, correct?

Also, I’m leery about giving mobs the moral advantage in shaming others. If you don’t care to wear a mask, I don’t care in the least. Many Democrats (to zero surprise of me) are obnoxiously seeking the neighborhood Hester Prynne to ambush. You’re not like them, I hope?

As to your rest, I think you and MD are scarily comfortable with this new authoritarian mindset, which might just be cover for feeling way more simpatico with Democrats. Bottom line and again for the billionth time: you do not need to be an epidemiologist to understand that this virus is harmless if you’re under 70 and without a compromised system.

Return to “POLITICS”