The Independent State Legislature Doctrine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
SCLaxAttack

Re: SCOTUS

Post by SCLaxAttack »

In recent years I’ve steered far clear of Saturday Night Live because, while it’s always done political humor, I’ve felt it has become mean. Last night I happened to watch the show’s opening, and it was downright funny to me.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... night-live
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote:
tech37 wrote:I like to put all this into the larger context of how this will affect mid-term voting. Seacoaster, you're a lawyer and I'm not surprised that you see all of this through that lens, a liberal lawyer lens I might add. 8-)

The minutia obviously matters to you.

IMO though, most people see this simply as HS/college youthful indiscretions and pure political theatre.
I confess, I am a little down in the weeds on this, because I think the Court's importance in our system of government is extraordinarily important and, respectfully, not altogether understood by a lot of folks who only focus on reproductive rights and the occasional civil rights case about college admissions and cake-baking. Commendable

I am really not at all qualified to assess the meaning of this for the midterms. I cannot, though, imagine that this is a net positive for Republicans.
Right, it is too soon to say which party benefits from this, too many things could/will unfold. IMO, the Rs are slightly ahead at this stage when one considers the overall opportunistic performance of the Ds to date, along with the disruptive tactics of left wing protesters. If the Rs had rammed K confirmation through, Rs lose, but since Flake acquiesced, (the right thing to do for the country IMO), in the eyes of majority of voters, I think it shows tolerance/flexibility on Rs part, rather than weakness. If the FBI report comes back clean and Ds still continue stall tactics (which, as I posted a couple days ago, is what I think happens), it's a Dem lose/lose. If the report raises new concerns, certainly bad news for the Rs and Ds look like heros. In that case, Trump will submit another name immediately (I think it is total BS when Trump said he had not considered a K replacement). :roll: If info comes out showing the Ds and/or Ford's lawyers leaked her identity or withheld info from her regarding her testimony venue options, the Ds are sunk. IMO, this is quite possible since I believe this poor woman has been completely manipulated for political purposes.

Interesting reactions to the Flake elevator encounter. I did not think it was staged or contrived (aha! I'm easily fooled!). I did think it was remarkable. Is there another country in the world where a constituent or a citizen can engage in that sort of an ardent, fiery encounter with an important political leader? In Turkey, you go to jail and don't come out. The women's passion, Flake's obvious sadness and effort to listen, and the television cameras made me pretty proud to be an American. All I can say is, good for you. I am far more cynical unfortunately. I'm basing my opinion on video clips of the incident that really don't show how the encounter unfolded, and then of course I could simply be wrong as with the Klobuchar questioning. I wonder though about the conspicuous timing of Flake, cameras, impassioned bordering on hysterical women...feels contrived to me. How did these women avoid security in the first place? And IMO, considering all of the Ds politicization/stall tactics to date, my cynical interest is piqued.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just for informational purposes....The woman who got a hold of Flake, works for CPD (Center for Popular Democracy), a sister non-profit of Center for Popular Democracy Action Fund. Primarily funded by Soros
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Really good article on Kavanaugh's testimony - well researched and thought out.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/ ... h-is-lying
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote:Really good article on Kavanaugh's testimony - well researched and thought out.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/ ... h-is-lying
Find another candidate. There are plenty of conservative judges. We don’t need a political operative on the Supreme Court....being a liar only makes it worse.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

His threat during his opening remarks that what comes around goes around should be an automatic disqualifier. Besides the flock of lies he told. Boofing, ralphing, Devils Triangle, never drinking enough to lose his memory. He has zero credibility left. Like Trump. Blatant Look-you-in-the-eye liars.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

How about we unpack her past since character is now open season; according to her classmate at UNC.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

IMO (I know...who givvzza), this "new" FBI investigation is a waste of time.No matter the findings, Kavanagh's name will be submitted to the full Senate. And he will be seated on THE SC.

The sounds bite we heard and watched are eyewash. All that chazari ain't going to change a thing. The Senate's going to do what Trump has ordered.

WE won; YOU lost. Nothings going to change.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09 ... MxOTQ3MAS2
Typical Lax Dad

Trinity wrote:His threat during his opening remarks that what comes around goes around should be an automatic disqualifier. Besides the flock of lies he told. Boofing, ralphing, Devils Triangle, never drinking enough to lose his memory. He has zero credibility left. Like Trump. Blatant Look-you-in-the-eye liars.
It’s a joke. Behavior you would not accept from your kids...not how he behaved at 17 but how he behaved last week. I expect more from mine.
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote:How about we unpack her past since character is now open season; according to her classmate at UNC.
I don't think it's about that though, youth, and I'd have more trust in her being honest about her past than him, and that's the issue (this man wants to be a SC judge, I would think that honesty ranks high on the list of qualities required for that position). We have a ton of tolerance in this country for drunkenness as well as youthful indiscretions (many of which were under the influence). It's not about what he did (to me), it's about not manning up and owning up to it.
"Despite all this information, alcohol use continues to permeate our culture at a significant level. Fortune magazine reports that alcohol sales generated $25.2 billion dollars in the United States last year, and some states like Utah even reached record highs. Given that we have this harrowing knowledge on the dangers of alcohol use, why do we continue to drink? Could it be possible that, without fully realizing it, we’ve become a culture of alcoholics?"
https://lagunatreatment.com/alcohol-abuse/culture/
There are too many of us who know full well that the no blacking out part is a lie, there are too many of us who know what ralph means too. I don't think it's even debatable as to whether or not he's lying, and that's a deal breaker for me for a guy who wants to be a SC judge.
I do, though, fear that murf is right. Honesty and integrity is not valued in our system despite what we preach/are taught.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

youthathletics wrote:How about we unpack her past since character is now open season; according to her classmate at UNC.
Guess this woman observed Dr. Ford's every move/action/ peccadillo when Ms.Basley was a student at Chapel Hill. Ms. DC Mac was a loyal and devoted friend throughout their undergraduate years.

Now the "Humming Chorus" from Madame Butterfly will, to me at least, never be the same. :cry:
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote:
I don't think it's about that though, youth, and I'd have more trust in her being honest about her past than him, and that's the issue (this man wants to be a SC judge, I would think that honesty ranks high on the list of qualities required for that position). We have a ton of tolerance in this country for drunkenness as well as youthful indiscretions (many of which were under the influence). It's not about what he did (to me), it's about not manning up and owning up to it.
"Despite all this information, alcohol use continues to permeate our culture at a significant level. Fortune magazine reports that alcohol sales generated $25.2 billion dollars in the United States last year, and some states like Utah even reached record highs. Given that we have this harrowing knowledge on the dangers of alcohol use, why do we continue to drink? Could it be possible that, without fully realizing it, we’ve become a culture of alcoholics?"
https://lagunatreatment.com/alcohol-abuse/culture/
There are too many of us who know full well that the no blacking out part is a lie, there are too many of us who know what ralph means too. I don't think it's even debatable as to whether or not he's lying, and that's a deal breaker for me for a guy who wants to be a SC judge.
I do, though, fear that murf is right. Honesty and integrity is not valued in our system despite what we preach/are taught.
Who cares if a judge is honest. He’s our guy. That’s all that matters. Gorsuch got through...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote:His threat during his opening remarks that what comes around goes around should be an automatic disqualifier. Besides the flock of lies he told. Boofing, ralphing, Devils Triangle, never drinking enough to lose his memory. He has zero credibility left. Like Trump. Blatant Look-you-in-the-eye liars.
Ah, but he swore to God. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I know this is a touchy subject and I am playing a somewhat devils advocate here....What if she was a "promiscuous women" for years and years, now a democratic operative a #metoo supporter, etc. It seems only fair that her past paint a picture of her lifetime. Maybe BK's name came up in therapy as "1 of many" names she dropped and had contact with....just sayin'.

Listen, I have no reason to not believe her, and BK being a little GP jerk only makes me not like him more; I know and work with some of these guys.
~Livy
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

BK being a little GP jerk only makes me not like him more; I know and work with some of these guys.
Ouch. :?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote:I know this is a touchy subject and I am playing a somewhat devils advocate here....What if she was a "promiscuous women" for years and years, now a democratic operative a #metoo supporter, etc. It seems only fair that her past paint a picture of her lifetime. Maybe BK's name came up in therapy as "1 of many" names she dropped and had contact with....just sayin'.

What matters is if she is credible. It doesn't matter if she slept with ten thousand people or drank a bottle of jack a night if BK actually assaulted her.

The only part of her character that matters is whether she tells the truth or has a history of lying. For now it appears she is credible.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Exactly holmes435. As usual, nail on the head.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

There are 3 unconnected complaints. Gonna have to smear all three women for this to work.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote:
youthathletics wrote:I know this is a touchy subject and I am playing a somewhat devils advocate here....What if she was a "promiscuous women" for years and years, now a democratic operative a #metoo supporter, etc. It seems only fair that her past paint a picture of her lifetime. Maybe BK's name came up in therapy as "1 of many" names she dropped and had contact with....just sayin'.

What matters is if she is credible. It doesn't matter if she slept with ten thousand people or drank a bottle of jack a night if BK actually assaulted her.

The only part of her character that matters is whether she tells the truth or has a history of lying. For now it appears she is credible.
I agree completely, And how do we know what she is saying is credible.....just b/c she said it happened? She may very well have pulled him into the bedroom, then freaked out, she may have gently lead him up the stairs, then freaked out when Mike Judge showed up. She may have been screwing every football player at GP, why was she there to begin with at 15.....we simply do not know.

My point is simply, if the FBI is verifying BK for indiscretion/lying about his HS days, then why are we/FBI not doing the same to hold her to account. Because she is woman? Turnabout is fair play.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Because this Ford lady ain't trying to get a seat on the SCOTUS. Kavanaugh is. He should without question be held to higher standard, don't you think?

Let me ask you this: do you think Kavanaugh lied to Congress? Do you think he lied about what the Ralph Club was? Or how about his sweet answer about the Renata Alumnus?

The irony here, of course, is that there's a woman SCOTUS pick waiting in the wings that's by all accounts more conservative than Kavanaugh.

Whoops!

Return to “POLITICS”