Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by wgdsr »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:51 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:36 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15 pm Heard we may be bringing in a goalie transfer. Stand by
Quint Kessenich ?
Can't imagine they'd bring in a grad transfer. And there aren't that many non-grad transfer goalies on the list in the portal thread. I'm trying to guess and am having a hard time finding one that makes sense other than . . . . you know who.
quint?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15 pm Heard we may be bringing in a goalie transfer. Stand by
Quint Kessenich ?
Can't imagine they'd bring in a grad transfer. And there aren't that many non-grad transfer goalies on the list in the portal thread. I'm trying to guess and am having a hard time finding one that makes sense other than . . . . you know who.
quint?
yup. extra covid eligibility?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm Can't imagine they'd bring in a grad transfer. And there aren't that many non-grad transfer goalies on the list in the portal thread. I'm trying to guess and am having a hard time finding one that makes sense other than . . . . you know who.
A ton of guys have entered the portal but did not appear in that thread, or only appeared after the fact once they made their decision. That thread is probably only like, half complete. We do our best to keep track of what's public but a lot of stuff slips through the cracks.

And no it's not your favorite player, who btw has never played in a college lacrosse game and appears content being a career backup.

I absolutely think they'd bring in a grad transfer if it was a fit academically and they thought he'd make the goalie room better. Several years in a row of sub 50% goaltending, everything should be on the table.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:20 pm
Quint Kessenich ?
quint?
yup. extra covid eligibility?
he and quinn both played as freshmen and in all 4 years. no go. les matthews, however, was a freshman when they were not allowed to play...
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:36 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm Can't imagine they'd bring in a grad transfer. And there aren't that many non-grad transfer goalies on the list in the portal thread. I'm trying to guess and am having a hard time finding one that makes sense other than . . . . you know who.
A ton of guys have entered the portal but did not appear in that thread, or only appeared after the fact once they made their decision. That thread is probably only like, half complete. We do our best to keep track of what's public but a lot of stuff slips through the cracks.

And no it's not your favorite player, who btw has never played in a college lacrosse game and appears content being a career backup.

I absolutely think they'd bring in a grad transfer if it was a fit academically and they thought he'd make the goalie room better. Several years in a row of sub 50% goaltending, everything should be on the table.
All of that is entirely true. Couldn't resist the joke though. Gotta stay on brand.

More seriously, I don't think I'd be in favor or a grad transfer at this point - would prefer to try to develop something longer term. If the rest of the team were seniors and all they needed was a goalie to be a real contender, sure. But that's not where we are at this point.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:56 pm
All of that is entirely true. Couldn't resist the joke though. Gotta stay on brand.

More seriously, I don't think I'd be in favor or a grad transfer at this point - would prefer to try to develop something longer term. If the rest of the team were seniors and all they needed was a goalie to be a real contender, sure. But that's not where we are at this point.
Agreed. Let's give a kid who came here as a freshman a shot.
When has a goalie transfer ever worked out for us?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 am
nyjay wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:56 pm

Agreed. Let's give a kid who came here as a freshman a shot.
When has a goalie transfer ever worked out for us?
Logan had that one good game against UNC. So there's that.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Per JHU social media - Welcome to Johns Hopkins, goalie Luke Caracciolo! Luke was a 4 year starter at Bryant University and will be a 5th year at Homewood next year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Career 53% save percentage and NEC tournament MVP in 2021. Has started more D1 NCAA tournament games (1) than any other goalie on the roster (0).

If Webb, Marcille, or Versfeld wants to start all they have to do is play better. The staff will play the best guy. All this does is adds some experience and statistical consistency (three of four seasons at 52.7% or better) to the goalie room. (And he's a lefty.) He'll be the favorite to start but it's not a fait accompli. PM would probably like nothing more than for someone like Webb to emerge and force his hand.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Admittedly this is a bit less exciting in some ways than a more mystery lottery ticket like a young backup that hadn't seen the field but we take what we can get. I'm hopeful that some of the less than stellar showings this young man has on his stat sheet are in part attributable to the defense that played in front of him at Bryant but we'll find out I guess. There's an old saying about beggars and choosers that likely applies here. ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

According to Lacrosse Reference, last season Caracciolo was in the 58th percentile in excess saves (the number of saves a goalie actually made, compared to the number that the model expects an average goalie to make). Basically means he's an above average goalie. Kirson was 38th percentile. Might not be an All-American, but the team got better today.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"Fit academically"-unless the kids are being held to the same standards general population admits are which are Diversity Equity Inclusion fit, elite academics, elite extracurriculars then we can that bs. They are not held to any academic or socio economic standards. Athletics has preference for alumni which general population Hopkins admissions expressly forbids now, and isn't subject to the diversity equity and inclusion stuff Daniels has championed.

This is PM and Jamesons 3rd offseason. They knew coming in they needed to rebuild the goalie situation. Every kid in the country knew there were opportunities here and so far all they've been able to come with is whatever a gib versfeld is supposed to be, kirson who was up and mostly down and this Bryant kid who isn't going to keep college park up at night w/a film projector working to find ways to beat him.

In other Hopkins athletics news looks like they've spent the summer adding layers of administrative fat w/yet another assistant or associate ad promotion.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:41 am
This is PM and Jamesons 3rd offseason. They knew coming in they needed to rebuild the goalie situation. Every kid in the country knew there were opportunities here and so far all they've been able to come with is whatever a gib versfeld is supposed to be, kirson who was up and mostly down and this Bryant kid who isn't going to keep college park up at night w/a film projector working to find ways to beat him.
Honestly, this does seem like a bit of a desperation move to me.
Must be a lot of pressure to make the playoffs next year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Heh, knew this would happen. Spends all year *crying* that they need to make changes, hit the portal, etc., and then when they do that it's still bad. This, folks, is what you call operating in bad faith. Fair criticism is absolutely warranted but when you set up a "lose-lose" scenario no matter what the program does, you are not a serious person and do not deserve to be taken seriously.

The kid is a 4-year starter with a long track record of saving over 50% at the Division 1 level. That is objectively far better than what we've had in recent years. Will it work out? Who knows. But it was not "desperate," it was necessary.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Carriciolo had a very unimpressive 22. Not sure if it was the D in front of him but he got lit up a lot. Against NEC, AE and similar competition. Can’t see him profoundly changing the outlook.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:03 am Heh, knew this would happen. Spends all year *crying* that they need to make changes, hit the portal, etc., and then when they do that it's still bad. This, folks, is what you call operating in bad faith. Fair criticism is absolutely warranted but when you set up a "lose-lose" scenario no matter what the program does, you are not a serious person and do not deserve to be taken seriously.

The kid is a 4-year starter with a long track record of saving over 50% at the Division 1 level. That is objectively far better than what we've had in recent years. Will it work out? Who knows. But it was not "desperate," it was necessary.
PM and the ad who hired him are not getting the Dave Pietramala 12 years and 1 ff lifetime contract. They need to make the ncaa tournament this year and show real progress towards a ff contending team or the 2 of them and the fat administrative team she's added are going to be on flaming hot seats.

Maybe this kid stands on his head, but 3 years and kirson, a d3 kid and a bryant guy, not exactly blowing ppl away w/resumes here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

What's on the recruit board for 23's; any commits?

Looks like a 4-star from Chaminade?

24's?
This one committed to Army...https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 079...nice story.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

San Ramon Valley High School‘s Charlie Iler decided to PG
at Western Reserve - so he reclassified to 2023.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:34 pm San Ramon Valley High School‘s Charlie Iler decided to PG
So, that would be two in that class?

Explaining why none in the incoming freshmen?

Grabbing a grad transfer makes sense. Reload begins the following year...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:47 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:34 pm San Ramon Valley High School‘s Charlie Iler decided to PG
So, that would be two in that class?

Explaining why none in the incoming freshmen?

Grabbing a grad transfer makes sense. Reload begins the following year...
Iler is a midfielder. Verdi, from Chaminade, is the only '23 goalie

I don't know why there isn't a goalie in this incoming '22 class. They had one who switched to Marquette and just never replaced him. Agreed, though, yet another reason to bring in the Bryant kid to compete for the job in 2023.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”