2024 Season Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
whyamihere

Re: 2024 Season Predictions

Post by whyamihere »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:48 am Yep. Same with Towson. Ate at the IHOP across the street on a visit and said Nope. You’re not coming here. Think there was a shooting there the same night.
yeah, unfortunately the area around Towson is not that great either. There was a carjacking not far from Campus 2 weeks ago
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:25 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:48 pm I was hoping Lehigh and BU would take a step forward in he Patriot. BU and Lehigh have strong men’s programs, not sure why the women seem to lag behind.
yeah...that is a head scratcher
That's because of limited men's programs. HS participation numbers keep going up so talent is more spread out across men's lacrosse. Not the same in D1 Women's.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:42 am
Relax77 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:48 pm I was hoping Lehigh and BU would take a step forward in he Patriot. BU and Lehigh have strong men’s programs, not sure why the women seem to lag behind.
That's because of limited men's programs. HS participation numbers keep going up so talent is more spread out across men's lacrosse. Not the same in D1 Women's.
Great point.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

whyamihere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:34 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:40 am
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 am you're right they hit on a couple players in the 2017-2018 classes. Bur Relax77 is also right. i had Loyola as a loser in 2025 recruiting. For all the progress they've made on the field, they havn't translated it to recruiting compared to programs like Dartmouth, Denver, JMU, Hopkins, etc. They have good coaching and a good system in place but that won't be enough if they want to take a step forward
^^This is very smart^^. I am not sure that Loyola can break out/in. Elite 8 seems to be their ceiling. In many ways, the Patriot League keeps Loyola from advancing. Sure, they win it all the time, but after the initial OOC slate, there is no toughness or challenge in their opponents (except Navy/Army).

Recruits see that they dont play BC, UNC, MD, NU, SBU, Denver, etc. on any regular basis. To get to the blue blood level, they have to get really lucky and win all their OOCs while getting somewhere in the NCAAs, EVERY YEAR. Best recent finishes were Quarters/Elite 8 against BC and against NU. Did that help recruiting? Probably not...

I cant figure out exactly why the other schools you mention out-recruit Loyola. I think each of those offer something Loyola doesn't, but the Hounds should be competing with those and others for those fringe top 20-40 recruits.
one of the reasons is Loyola is a very small school located in a residential area of Baltimore city. There is not much of a campus life and no main street type area by campus for the kids to hang out at. And not many parents are crazy about sending their kids to a school in Baltimore City. Johns Hopkins has the same issues but they do have the JHU degree that helps draw some of the recruits in. Loyola will be able to recruit well enough to continue winning the Patriot and make it to round of 16 and occasionally the round of 8.
Loyola has a good brand name in the MD area but I would not want my kid going to school there, too dangerous.

https://thegreyhound.org/7353/featured/ ... essed-now/

As you said JHU has the global brand name that can justify the bad location. Anywhere in or near Bmore is dangerous but I think Towson is in a better area.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Towson is arguably in a worse area than Loyola. Towson has very nice houses, but the area immediately surrounding the campus isn’t as nice. There are nice shops but when it’s dark you have to be careful. The area around Loyola is less busy because there’s less shops but if you head east of the campus onto York Road it is awful. However the other sides of the campus border Roland Park and Guilford which are beautiful neighborhoods. Hopkins for sure in the worse area but it’s Hopkins so the name is worth a lot.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

I typed Donna instead of Dana a few posts back. I usually try blame spell check, but that one is one me. At least I spelled Jen correct :lol:
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:34 am
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 am you're right they hit on a couple players in the 2017-2018 classes. Bur Relax77 is also right. i had Loyola as a loser in 2025 recruiting. For all the progress they've made on the field, they havn't translated it to recruiting compared to programs like Dartmouth, Denver, JMU, Hopkins, etc. They have good coaching and a good system in place but that won't be enough if they want to take a step forward
^^This is very smart^^. I am not sure that Loyola can break out/in. Elite 8 seems to be their ceiling. In many ways, the Patriot League keeps Loyola from advancing. Sure, they win it all the time, but after the initial OOC slate, there is no toughness or challenge in their opponents (except Navy/Army).

Recruits see that they dont play BC, UNC, MD, NU, SBU, Denver, etc. on any regular basis. To get to the blue blood level, they have to get really lucky and win all their OOCs while getting somewhere in the NCAAs, EVERY YEAR. Best recent finishes were Quarters/Elite 8 against BC and against NU. Did that help recruiting? Probably not...

I cant figure out exactly why the other schools you mention out-recruit Loyola. I think each of those offer something Loyola doesn't, but the Hounds should be competing with those and others for those fringe top 20-40 recruits.
one of the reasons is Loyola is a very small school located in a residential area of Baltimore city. There is not much of a campus life and no main street type area by campus for the kids to hang out at. And not many parents are crazy about sending their kids to a school in Baltimore City. Johns Hopkins has the same issues but they do have the JHU degree that helps draw some of the recruits in. Loyola will be able to recruit well enough to continue winning the Patriot and make it to round of 16 and occasionally the round of 8.
Loyola has a good brand name in the MD area but I would not want my kid going to school there, too dangerous.

As you said JHU has the global brand name that can justify the bad location. Anywhere in or near Bmore is dangerous but I think Towson is in a better area.
Ya'll are funny. Hopkins is literally in the middle of one of the most affluent areas of our country. Have you driven through Guilford, Roland Park, etc? The whole city isn't what you saw on The Wire.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

user1020 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Lehigh has potential as they’ve had good seasons and beaten good teams, but they have been so inconsistent.
Coaching
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:20 pm
user1020 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Lehigh has potential as they’ve had good seasons and beaten good teams, but they have been so inconsistent.
Coaching
I think Redfern has been there for 13-14 years and ready to retire. May have be the reason why Grote left PSU and making her Associate HC immediately. Grote was supposed to stay at PSU another year with Doherty but took the Lehigh job last minute. Thinking she will be the new hC one, two years. She was really good at PSU but hampered a little bit with Doherty style. Kids loved her.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:44 pm

Ya'll are funny. Hopkins is literally in the middle of one of the most affluent areas of our country. Have you driven through Guilford, Roland Park, etc? The whole city isn't what you saw on The Wire.
JHU does not site in the middle of any of those areas. Its actually in the Keswick neighborhood. Go across Charles St and tell me how safe you feel. There is a reason why JHU fought the city to hire its own Police force.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

whyamihere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 pm

JHU does not site in the middle of any of those areas. Its actually in the Keswick neighborhood. Go across Charles St and tell me how safe you feel. There is a reason why JHU fought the city to hire its own Police force.
I'm fully aware of the location of JHU and it's just as close to Guilford as it is to the area you mention. Most people that haven't been to Hopkins don't even realize how big and how beautiful the campus is. Campus isn't east of Charles Village. My daughter had been to tons of events at Homewood and never realized that Hopkins had an actual campus. Loyola isn't in a dangerous area either. USC is in Compton. You don't hear these arguments about LA.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:36 pm

I'm fully aware of the location of JHU and it's just as close to Guilford as it is to the area you mention. Most people that haven't been to Hopkins don't even realize how big and how beautiful the campus is. Campus isn't east of Charles Village. My daughter had been to tons of events at Homewood and never realized that Hopkins had an actual campus. Loyola isn't in a dangerous area either. USC is in Compton. You don't hear these arguments about LA.
No one has said that campus of either school is not safe or nice. its the areas surrounding the campus that are questionable and there are parents of recruited students who will send their kids there for that reason. i have been to many functions at both JHU and Loyola too, but i would not wonder around York rd area of Loyola or the west side of Charles across from JHU.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

whyamihere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 pm

No one has said that campus of either school is not safe or nice. its the areas surrounding the campus that are questionable and there are parents of recruited students who will send their kids there for that reason. i have been to many functions at both JHU and Loyola too, but i would not wonder around York rd area of Loyola or the west side of Charles across from JHU.
sorry..will not send thier kids.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^^ can’t spell “their”

Graduate of the UNC decades long illiterate diploma program?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 am ^^^ can’t spell “their”

Graduate of the UNC decades long illiterate diploma program?
UNC ranked #22 nationally
Maryland? #46
* source:
* The U.S. News college rankings are viewed as the gold standard of college ranking lists. Its list is the most well-known and referenced
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 am ^^^
Fenny old bean! What are your 2024 predictions? Any (how do you usually put it?) rippling white beauties in Maryland's forecast?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 am i had Loyola as a loser in 2025 recruiting.
I can’t speak to Loyola’s other 2025 recruits or to the recruiting class as a whole, but they got two of New Jersey’s best 2025s in Rachel James (from the same high school as Chase Boyle) and Mae Murphy.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Kind of my point. First off, assume you mean East of Charles as the Campus is west of Charles. And you can go plenty East of Charles before you end up in a bad area. Why would anyone be wandering around that part of town anyway? There are also people that won't go to O's or Ravens games because Baltimore is "unsafe" which is absurd. I live downtown. My daughter goes to Hopkins. I agree there are perceptions from parents about how safe or unsafe Hopkins and Loyola are but that doesn't make them true. There are A LOT of schools that are in big cities that some people perceive to be "unsafe". I'm just curious why Baltimore often seems to be singled out in regards to this matter. I've never heard anyone say they wouldn't send their child to USC because they had to wall off part of campus because it borders Compton. I've never heard anyone say they won't send their daughter to Penn or Drexel. Drexel's stadium is in a much worse part of Philly than Hopkins is in terms of Baltimore. There are literally multi-million dollar homes 2 blocks from Homewood. The people that live there must all be nuts! The Stanwicks live down the street from the stadium. As you keep going north Charles past the Guilford mansions, you get to Loyola and Notre Dame of MD University which are in Roland Park which is also mostly multi-million dollar homes. Keep going up Charles and you get to Friends School(40k a year private school) which backs to four other 40k a year private schools, Gilman, Roland Park, Bryn Mawr and Boys' Latin. Be careful going past that because you might right into the roughnecks at the Elkridge Country Club. Neither of these schools are anywhere close to West Baltimore.

I'd guess our good resident Doc would most likely agree with me on all of this. Can't believe he let his daughter go to school in a war zone for 5 years!
Last edited by hmmm on Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

And Taylor Santos from California is really good. She was just named MVP of the all-star game at National Cup. Their 2025 class is better than they are getting credit for.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hmmm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:17 am

Kind of my point. First off, assume you mean East of Charles as the Campus is west of Charles. And you can go plenty East of Charles before you end up in a bad area. Why would anyone be wandering around that part of town anyway? There are also people that won't go to O's or Ravens games because Baltimore is "unsafe" which is absurd. I live downtown. My daughter goes to Hopkins. I agree there are perceptions from parents about how safe or unsafe Hopkins and Loyola are but that doesn't make them true. There are A LOT of schools that are in big cities that some people perceive to be "unsafe". I'm just curious why Baltimore often seems to be singled out in regards to this matter. I've never heard anyone say they wouldn't send their child to USC because they had to wall off part of campus because it borders Compton. I've never heard anyone say they won't send their daughter to Penn or Drexel. Drexel's stadium is in a much worse part of Philly than Hopkins is in terms of Baltimore. There are literally multi-million dollar homes 2 blocks from Homewood. The people that live there must all be nuts! The Stanwicks live down the street from the stadium. As you keep going north Charles past the Guilford mansions, you get to Loyola and Notre Dame of MD University which are in Roland Park which is also mostly multi-million dollar homes. Keep going up Charles and you get to Friends School(40k a year private school) which backs to four other 40k a year private schools, Gilman, Roland Park, Bryn Mawr and Boys' Latin. Be careful going past that because you might right into the roughnecks at the Elkridge Country Club. Neither of these schools are anywhere close to West Baltimore.

I'd guess our good resident Doc would most likely agree with me on both of this. Can't believe he let his daughter go to school in a war zone for 5 years!
Bravo! I've felt the same way when I've driven through so many of these areas. It isn't nearly as bad as some would like you to believe and I've never felt unsafe walking around Hopkins or being in that area.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”