Connecticut 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
Mike75

Re: Connecticut 2024

Post by Mike75 »

justanotherperson wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:55 pm You do have a valid argument. It will never happen but like other states, maybe a "parochial" division needs to be formed with

-Prep
-St Joes
-East Catholic
-ND West Haven
-St Pauls
-Northwest Catholic
-ND Fairfield
-Xavier
-St Bernard
-Holy Cross
-Immaculate

Add in Canterbury and St Lukes from NEW2 as well as Marianapolis and you got yourself and interesting division

*apologies if I missed some or wronfully included any.
I seem to recall there was an all Catholic conference at some point in the past. Maybe dissolved in the 80's or 90s?
Repeat after me

Post by Repeat after me »

St. Luke’s is non-denominational, always has been.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

nm
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

Great win by Ridgefield today. Got to see this one live and Ridgefield outplayed Staples all game long. The final score is misleading, it wasn’t that close.

Just an observation: after last years FCIAC championship game one of the Wilton fans said out loud to a group of parents “the year is done! Don’t care what happens in states.” I went over and asked him about that and what he said to me was (paraphrasing) winning the FCIAC is the real gauntlet. States is a crapshoot based on seeding. You know you ran the gauntlet if you win FCIAC’s. Some teams get a cakewalk in states… He said his son was a senior and they all cared way more about an FCIAC title than a state title. I found this odd but I didn’t grow up here so what do I know.

I bring that up because staples almost looked out of gas to me. It’s like they left it all on the field with win the FCIAC and had nothing left.

Anyway, Ridgefield played great.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

FC_YAK wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:24 pm Great win by Ridgefield today. Got to see this one live and Ridgefield outplayed Staples all game long. The final score is misleading, it wasn’t that close.

Just an observation: after last years FCIAC championship game one of the Wilton fans said out loud to a group of parents “the year is done! Don’t care what happens in states.” I went over and asked him about that and what he said to me was (paraphrasing) winning the FCIAC is the real gauntlet. States is a crapshoot based on seeding. You know you ran the gauntlet if you win FCIAC’s. Some teams get a cakewalk in states… He said his son was a senior and they all cared way more about an FCIAC title than a state title. I found this odd but I didn’t grow up here so what do I know.

I bring that up because staples almost looked out of gas to me. It’s like they left it all on the field with win the FCIAC and had nothing left.

I think that's a pretty common sentiment amongst the FCIAC schools.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Mike75 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:33 am
FC_YAK wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:24 pm Great win by Ridgefield today. Got to see this one live and Ridgefield outplayed Staples all game long. The final score is misleading, it wasn’t that close.

I think it was definitely the prevailing thought back when the teams were split evenly between M (Darien/NC/Wilton) and L (Ridgefield/Staples/Greenwich). But now that they're all in the top division and Prep has returned to form, States is the tougher gauntlet and the ultimate prize. Either way, seems bizarre to me that any team would just sort of shrug off states; losing afterwards sort of takes the shine off of the FCIAC; you would think teams with ambition would have their sites set on winning both crowns.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

So far everything is chalk except Simsbury (5) beating New Miford (4) and Brookfied (5) beating RHAM (4). People may not like chalk but this is soooooo much better than the seeds they used to assign a few years ago
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

random observer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:32 am

I think it was definitely the prevailing thought back when the teams were split evenly between M (Darien/NC/Wilton) and L (Ridgefield/Staples/Greenwich). But now that they're all in the top division and Prep has returned to form, States is the tougher gauntlet and the ultimate prize. Either way, seems bizarre to me that any team would just sort of shrug off states; losing afterwards sort of takes the shine off of the FCIAC; you would think teams with ambition would have their sites set on winning both crowns.
Makes for a good rationale for losing in the state tournament. :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

That makes more sense. I failed to put together that the schools were in different tiers. This year LL is loaded so that logic certainly doesn’t hold up.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

justanotherperson wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:14 pm So far everything is chalk except Simsbury (5) beating New Miford (4) and Brookfied (5) beating RHAM (4). People may not like chalk but this is soooooo much better than the seeds they used to assign a few years ago
As we approach the semi-finals - Boys have the top 4 seeds in LL and S and in L and M the 5 seed beat the 4 seed.
For the girls - only LL has a 5-seeded team in the semis - #4 Greenwich beat #5 Ridgefield 10-8.

Second consecutive year with such good outcomes for competition and for fans.
laxfanctfc

Post by laxfanctfc »

FC_YAK wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:55 pm

That makes more sense. I failed to put together that the schools were in different tiers. This year LL is loaded so that logic certainly doesn’t hold up.
It is worth noting the seeding process has been fixed. Last year the CIAC looked to Lax Numbers to seed the teams in the tournament based on some sort algo. Prior to last season seeding was based solely on the teams record.
CT Transplant

Post by CT Transplant »

Prep gets to play on their Home Field. No other school plays on their home field. 2nd year in a row. How did that work out? Cosey must not be happy.l
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

CT Transplant wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:59 pm Prep gets to play on their Home Field. No other school plays on their home field. 2nd year in a row. How did that work out? Cosey must not be happy.l
More than two years in a row - it's been this way for YEARS. They offered CIAC free unlimited use of the field under the requirement that Prep has play home games there. Money talks and CIAC does not have to beg schools to host. That said - would not sleep on Ridgefield - This is reportedly Roy Colsey's swan song as coach and one of the best playoff coaches ever in terms of game planning. Recall a few years ago he orchestrated an immense four quarter stall to upset top-rated Darien for a championship.

New Canaan v Darien is at Greenwich.

Girls LL doubleheader is at Prep, too. CIAC makes three shoreline S teams travel to Windsor and Daniel Hand has to play NF in Brookfield.
That is an hour-long bus ride on a good traffic day. NF is the adjacent town to Brookfield - 15 minutes. No traffic. Huh? :oops:
random observer

Post by random observer »

I think Prep is the better team, but just have a feeling that Ridgefield is going to take that one. Really impressive season for the Tigers, and they have the best player in the state. Also been really impressed how Prep has rebounded from losing one of its best senior classes in recent memory (as well as top 25 junior Mullahy to Taft). The 16-1 record speaks for itself, but I get the sense they're due to end up on the wrong side of a close game.

I expect New Canaan to take down Darien. Just feel like their defense can shut down what's been a pretty lethargic offense for the Wave. Whether it's nagging injuries or teams figuring him out a bit, Pokorny has not been impactful as a dodging threat for most of the season, and now he goes against arguably the top pole in the state in Stephens. I think Darien's defense can keep NC in check, but the Rams will dominate possessions and grind them down.

In the final, I favor the winner of the Prep/Ridgefield game over the winner over Darien/NC game.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:52 pm
CT Transplant wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:59 pm Prep gets to play on their Home Field. No other school plays on their home field. 2nd year in a row. How did that work out? Cosey must not be happy.l
More than two years in a row - it's been this way for YEARS. They offered CIAC free unlimited use of the field under the requirement that Prep has play home games there. Money talks and CIAC does not have to beg schools to host. That said - would not sleep on Ridgefield - This is reportedly Roy Colsey's swan song as coach and one of the best playoff coaches ever in terms of game planning. Recall a few years ago he orchestrated an immense four quarter stall to upset top-rated Darien for a championship.

Girls LL doubleheader is at Prep, too. CIAC makes three shoreline S teams travel to Windsor and Daniel Hand has to play NF in Brookfield.
That is an hour-long bus ride on a good traffic day. NF is the adjacent town to Brookfield - 15 minutes. No traffic. Huh? :oops:
Hand gets screwed by NF? Shocking! I don't remember that ever happening before.
Hand girls better make sure the refs can't decide the outcome of that game. Win by a lot is my recommendation. And make sure every stick is legal.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:29 pm Hand gets screwed by NF? Shocking! I don't remember that ever happening before.
Hand girls better make sure the refs can't decide the outcome of that game. Win by a lot is my recommendation. And make sure every stick is legal.
Oops. Forgot about that. Of course, it is nothing compared to the royal screwing the Tigers from Weston calling a stick check in the last minute of regulation to get possession and an illegal team meeting while the stick was being checked to diagram a scoring play. The play tied the game at the buzzer and Trojans won in OT winning the faceoff and scoring before Hand had a possession.

However, in this case the location was determined by CIAC not NF. But it is determinative as to who they can get to host which is often like pulling teeth.

Hand boys have to travel to Fairfield for their semis. Barlow (2 seed) gets a 15 minute trip for their game v EL.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

Why don't they just have the higher seed host like they do in the early rounds? Rewards regular season results and eliminates begging neutral sites to host.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Mike75 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:57 pm

Why don't they just have the higher seed host like they do in the early rounds? Rewards regular season results and eliminates begging neutral sites to host.
Ask CIAC not me. That is the way they did last year during the smoke-out.
jmct

Post by jmct »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:56 pm
Hand boys have to travel to Fairfield for their semis. Barlow (2 seed) gets a 15 minute trip for their game v EL.

A lot of the complaints about the CIAC, who is both lazy and incompetent, are accurate. But this one is not, as semi-final opponents Hand and Brookfield have almost the exact same driving time to get to Warde - and they are coming from different directions so there wasn't a much better site.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Darien 9-7 over New Canaan
Prep 10-7 over Ridgefield

So #1 v #2 seed for all 4 championships Sunday - In fact, all 8 finals (boys and girls) are #1 v #2 seeds.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”