2025 Recruitment

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: 2025 Recruitment

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:36 pm
coda wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:34 pm I was looking at the IL class rankings. I little surprised by the results.. Teams with 8 blue chips (4star and above)
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

It will obviously change, but Michigan and PSU being in there is surprising.. (Yes, I know UVA and Maryland will certainly get in the mix)
I don't know how they rank the classes and there are some great uncommitted players still out there but, how are Michigan, Hop and PSU on any top list at this point? Yes, they have high commit numbers, but very few if any players in the top 50 and possibly even none in the top 20. Notre Dame, and surprisingly UNC are doing really well. It's not even close for anyone else at this point but that could change. Duke, Maryland and Virginia don't have as many commits but they all have numerous top 10, top 20 and top 50 ranked players committed. Looks like Quality over quantity to me.........
Off memory Hop is 8, Michigan 10, and PSU like 12/13.. used inside lacrosse. The irony of my post is I think Lax rankings are pretty terrible. That said this isn’t a class loaded with star power, it’s got depth though.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

coda wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:34 pm I was looking at the IL class rankings. I little surprised by the results.. Teams with 8 blue chips (4star and above)
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

It will obviously change, but Michigan and PSU being in there is surprising.. (Yes, I know UVA and Maryland will certainly get in the mix)
I don't know how they rank the classes and there are some great uncommitted players still out there but, how are Michigan, Hop and PSU on any top list at this point? Yes, they have high commit numbers, but very few if any players in the top 50 and possibly even none in the top 20. Notre Dame, and surprisingly UNC are doing really well. It's not even close for anyone else at this point but that could change. Duke, Maryland and Virginia don't have as many commits but they all have numerous top 10, top 20 and top 50 ranked players committed. Looks like Quality over quantity to me.........
Virginia also believes they can poach from just about any other program. If that’s true, why not wait until after seeing another 12 months of play and maturation to fill out your class?
coda

Post by coda »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:36 am
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

Virginia also believes they can poach from just about any other program. If that’s true, why not wait until after seeing another 12 months of play and maturation to fill out your class?
I have argued that schools like UVA do way too much early recruiting. I think lacrosse in general does themselves a disservice recruiting so early. There are guys committed to big schools currently, that have not played any real minutes in HS (just blow out time). Its crazy that 80-90% of recruiting is done prior to a kids Junior season. This is not how a sport like football works and they have far better resources and recruiting services. School like UVA should be very patient. Go hard after the handful of elite guys and then sit back and watch how the rest develop.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

coda wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:27 am
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

I have argued that schools like UVA do way too much early recruiting. I think lacrosse in general does themselves a disservice recruiting so early. There are guys committed to big schools currently, that have not played any real minutes in HS (just blow out time). Its crazy that 80-90% of recruiting is done prior to a kids Junior season. This is not how a sport like football works and they have far better resources and recruiting services. School like UVA should be very patient. Go hard after the handful of elite guys and then sit back and watch how the rest develop.
Lars has said, going back to his Brown days, that he kept maybe 2 slots open for late bloomers. Jack Kelly only started as a HS senior, because he was behind a good older goalie before that. I'm sure the temptation for Lars and the other bluebloods, who almost cull rather than recruit, is to their fill slots early; when you look at 3*s as "locker room guys", wow. It's a kind of prisoners' dilemma; you might want to be patient, then you see coach X at BigLaxU getting commits left/right/center.
That's good for the mid-majors, as late bloomers can fall to them. Until they blow up and use the transfer portal...🫨
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

coda

Post by coda »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:53 pm And there it is Millon to UVA

https://x.com/natlaxfed/status/17093247 ... EO2hFStaxg
3 Millons now at UVa
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

you wouldn't believe it if i told you what was going on 6 or 7 years ago.
Cavitee

Post by Cavitee »

Hoo is the 3rd Millon?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Lars will still find a way to complain. 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:30 pm
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

It was 9th graders too.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 pm
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

It was 9th graders too.
Even one 8th grader.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
coda

Post by coda »

Cavitee wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:37 pm Hoo is the 3rd Millon?
I stole that from a UVa ex-player.. Mark
coda

Post by coda »

1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

I am aware. Just have never understood it. There are usually 5-10 obvious kids in a class. Outside of that the more data you have on players the better. For the powers like UVA and Duke, I don’t get the rush. You can flip players down the road. You also have the portal.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:05 pm
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

It was 9th graders too.
Even one 8th grader.
Quite a few fall Freshmen! It was so dumb it’s hard to believe. Never made sense to me. The late recruiting date and the portal will tilt the field in the favor of the HAVES even more.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:05 pm
1. ND - 11 (4 5 stars)
2. UNC- 9 (3 5 stars)
3. Michigan - 9
4. Hopkins - 8
5. Penn State - 8

It was 9th graders too.
Even one 8th grader.
Quite a few fall Freshmen! It was so dumb it’s hard to believe. Never made sense to me. The late recruiting date and the portal will tilt the field in the favor of the HAVES even more.
Systems are designed to narrow to the most elite competitors over time. There’s a force behind it. 95% of systems are “long” to the benefit of the existing holders of the benefit. Every new attempt to change the dynamics or shift the paradigm narrows it further.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

coda wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:15 pm
I don’t get it?
coda

Post by coda »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:33 pm
coda wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:15 pm
I don’t get it?
Mark has an interesting personality. He had mixed feeling on the Millons. He feared that dad will become a problem for the program, if success isn’t immediate
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Only 2 of IL’s top 50 left with UVa picking 2 in the last 24hrs
2. Gary Merrill - Midfield - St. Anthony's
34. Matthew Triolo - Attack - John Glenn (NY)
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:36 pm Only 2 of IL’s top 50 left with UVa picking 2 in the last 24hrs
Well , for now anyway. There will be numerous flips before the 25 group actually matriculates.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:36 pm Only 2 of IL’s top 50 left with UVa picking 2 in the last 24hrs
triolo to delaware. merrill last on the board. re-doing high school @ dba like the rest?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”