Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:05 am I've thought all along that a 90 second clock, which turned into an 80 second clock, wouldn't change the game much at all but, of course, would eliminate the subjectivity of the stall call. From the games I've seen so far, that's been the case. The game is still played pretty much the same. I think in last night's game we would have seen what everyone was complaining with the subjectivity of the stall call as the clock was winding down and Gate had a couple of goal lead. I'm okay with the incorporation of the clock to the game, now just leave it alone and don't start with the it should be a sixty second clock stuff. No, it's fine just the way it is.
Beyond completely eliminating the maddening ability to stall for minutes on end in the girl's game, what I liked most about what the 90 second possession clock did for the girl's game was what it did to pace of the game (you guys need to start watching wlax, very pretty game played by outstanding athletes who run and pass a whole lot more than the men do). I see pretty much the same in what the clock has done to the men's game.
Quality of shots down.... goalie save % seems to be up. Looks kind of formulaic. Substitution pattern is the same. Clearing more frantic. Not a “wide open” offensive game. I would have added 30 second clear and ran shot clock during last 5 minutes of a game and called it a day. Shorter box is very impactful.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Save percentage is through the roof.

Last year, not one goalie finished above .500.

Right now, fully half of division I goalies are over .600!

That’s a statistic tsunami.

But it’s far, far too early to draw conclusions
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

What an atrocity yesterday's game was- I waited until today to comment since I was irrational with disbelief last night. F/O was very weak by Varello, but Phaup did admirably well. Shots in 1st half 50 to 22, gb's about as bad, poor passes ,invisible d-mid play, close D except Mellen was sketchy. The "scorers" were awful , especially Trimboli, Rehfuss, Cook, Seebold, Quinn; of the 9 scored 3 each Solomon and Curry. Poor passes galore, invisible ride, almost no decent lsm play, .....did I miss anything? One bright spot - 15 saves for Drake - he stood on his head. The team play, especially in the 1st half, was lackadaisical at best and downright lazy might better describe it. Second half was marginally better but not great. Desko looked frustrated and unhappy, but if that's the best we have to put on the field, its gonna be a long year.

As a 35 year season ticket holder, I was truly embarrassed by this effort. Give credit to Colgate - they played hard.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The only thing you missed, dog, is the uniforms. Is just me or did they look like dirty, dingy, shorts that you'd pick up off the floor of a dorm room. They sure as hell weren't white.
Think you pretty much covered it, I think #3 & #12 are big on ego, and pretty good between their ears, but not so much on the field. I don't know if #29 has a medical marijuana prescription, but if he does they need to cut back on the THC level. That is one lifeless and lazy lacrosse player. No worries about his setting a gas filled room ablaze, just no spark there.
I was there in that season ticket holder section with you 35 years ago and I said the same thing, was saddest looking Cuse team I've ever seen. I thought about that before I said it too.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

maddog29 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:47 pm What an atrocity yesterday's game was- I waited until today to comment since I was irrational with disbelief last night. F/O was very weak by Varello, but Phaup did admirably well. Shots in 1st half 50 to 22, gb's about as bad, poor passes ,invisible d-mid play, close D except Mellen was sketchy. The "scorers" were awful , especially Trimboli, Rehfuss, Cook, Seebold, Quinn; of the 9 scored 3 each Solomon and Curry. Poor passes galore, invisible ride, almost no decent lsm play, .....did I miss anything? One bright spot - 15 saves for Drake - he stood on his head. The team play, especially in the 1st half, was lackadaisical at best and downright lazy might better describe it. Second half was marginally better but not great. Desko looked frustrated and unhappy, but if that's the best we have to put on the field, its gonna be a long year.

As a 35 year season ticket holder, I was truly embarrassed by this effort. Give credit to Colgate - they played hard.
To be fair Seebold did not play. Overall a very sloppy game from Syracuse. I've noticed in all three major upsets so far this season that the underdog (Colgate, High Point, Towson) all have come out with lots of energy. Syracuse's offense was terrible other than Curry. Solomon scored a few on man up and one that was wide open on the doorstep. It’s gonna be a long season with things don’t change quickly
molo

Post by molo »

Don’t give up hope. After all, you play in the ACC.
molo

Post by molo »

Don’t give up hope. After all, you play in the ACC.
TruthBeTold

Post by TruthBeTold »

I get that #21 is an outstanding shut down 1 on 1 defender but from the perspective of playing team defense many times the lax IQ is, well, lacking. There are, what, five captains on the team and a four year player isnt one of them? Something seems off here.

And the freshman #2 clearly was not ready for the college game quite yet. The coaching staff should have known that, or at least seen what played out in front of them and parked him on the sideline. Shocking that with fifty plus players three solid consistent midfield lines can't be established and that a freshman is an experiment game one at middie and attack.

This program is a mess
DMac

Post by DMac »

Truth be told, #21 is the least of your worries with this team. What this team needs most is an attitude adjustment, someone to light a fire under their azzez to make 'em move as if there's a little sense of urgency. They need a little (whole lot) less ego and a whole lot more sense of team. Cuse had 4 assisted goals in this game and they went 3 for 5 on EMO. Three of their four assists came on EMO. All assists aren't created equal, EMO goals pretty much should come from an assist given the man advantage and a little ball movement. One assisted goal in the game when it's all even is pretty sad in my book. What's that say? Nobody is moving to get open? Too much 1 v 1 by players who can't beat their defenders? Six goals scored by this team when it's all even, and one 'em by a long pole. Cuse needs a whole new look on O, they need a whole lot more off ball movement, people sneaking around and getting open. Then, of course, you need players looking for that open man a whole lot more than for individual glory. I don't really think Cuse lacks talent, I do think they lack players who want to play as a team and for one another though. I also think they're fat from empty calories, living on Cuse's past glory days as if the uniform makes them an opponent to be feared and respected. Cuse put the blood in the water with their opener and you can bet there are a whole lot of teams anxious to come and prey on them. Nothing better than the taste of W after feasting on Cuse in the Dome for a whole lot of teams out there, and if Cuse continues to play even remotely close to the way they did v Gate they're going to be the cupcake of D 1 lacrosse.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

I don't disagree with you, but having watched the Albany-Colgate scrimmage and the Syracuse game, Colgate played with the same sort of intensity and fire in both games. I would say Albany is a pretty , blue collar sort of team and Colgate flat got after them on ground balls just as they did against Syracuse.

I thought Syracuse would do better at the face offs, but Syracuse should have a good advantage this next week against Albany. Albany's first offensive unit was able to score with a pretty good efficiency against Colgate, but hard to compare a scrimmage, even if it was Colgate's final one, versus a legit game in the Carrier Dome.

Colgate is much improved under the new coaching staff.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'm sure the Big Dogs are already salivating. Canines have got a great sense of smell and I'm sure they've already caught the scent of the big fat pork chop in Cuse's yard they can come and gnaw on.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Watched game replay expecting some horrendous play by Syracuse throughout given comments but game was not similar to the Duke -HP game at all. Syracuse was impotent offensively in 1h, sloppy with several unforced turnovers , new schemes by new coach not on tape seem to catch them off guard .Gate fogo winning, Cleveland abusing one defender and Gate keeper making a couple of big stops at mouth all added up to Gate controlling early action and Cuse keeper did a nice job keeping game in check.
In 2h, new fogo provided a boost and began to see Syracuse pressing action on both ends with some adjustments and they were getting the better of play despite still being inconsistent on O , knew outcome but appeared that Syracuse would finish comeback at one point , pulled to within to one by fourth and had a few possessions with opportunity to tie but some dumb errors wasted opportunities and two Gate goals ensued off a rebound and man up which gave them a 3 goal cushion that snuffed the attempted comeback. Gate's final goal was an empty netter and celebration was less than two minutes away. Gate has good offensive talent and d much better , they can realize their potential under the new staff, lets not forget that they beat Cornell last year .Haters like to dump on Syracuse but came away feeling they will hit their stride sooner than later.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

Syracuse's Tucker Dordevic to Miss 2019 Season After Re-Injuring Foot

Terrible news for Cuse. Seems each of the ACC teams are experiencing major season ending injuries or missing key player that could impact each team. Hope he fully recovers. I think he was their best offensive player. I enjoyed watching him play.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... foot/53745
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I just re-joined so I lost track of some of the conversation. This question may be redundant but DMac is Ms. Effingnuts still in your line of sight? Looking forward to the Pearl Jam loving Scobbies on Sat. hope they don't choke on the pork chop bone.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No sign of Ms. R. U. Effinnuts at the Gate game, nomo, no sign of family Phatazz either. All 2800 could sit wherever they wanted and no one was asked to slide down a bit (whole lot) for large loads. Had all the makings for a good day in the Dome but that didn't work out too good. Gotta see a different team v UA, kinda like the girls who play creatively, fast, unselfishly, aggressively, and look like they're having a ton of fun. You guys need to start tuning into their games, lot of them are on the ACC Network too, they're fun to watch. They've got a tough one coming up Sat v BC and it's on TV.
Good to see you back, nomo.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I do pay attention to the women's side as well. My girl will be playing at Ohio State in a couple of years. She informed me that Nicole Levy continues with her spectacular shots vs Bing. I recall her painting the corners in 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ksGpgaLAs
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes sir, she's something else, throws some series heat, has a pretty amazing stick all in all. That's rubbing off on the other gals too, this team team plays pretty loose lacrosse, right up my alley.
Congrats to Dad and daughter, that's super cool!!
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

Dome bound in a few hours with a bunch of couples - hope to see a better team than we saw last seek. I'd be happy just to see a H,H & H like we are accustomed to viewing, especially on our home Teflon covered rug. I think we have some talent but IMHO, the Cuse needs to return to a more free-flowing up tempo game and stop the middy pull-up after reaching the midfield stripe. In the past 4 or 5 years, it seems to me that Desko has handcuffed the offense and creativity - former calling cards of the Orange. I love the game and with the new rules in effect our Orange could benefit.

I hope the walk-up crowd wasn't so upset that they don't show today , but another stinker could wreck the attendance all season. Go Orange !
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree with that, dog.
Keep your eye out for Ms. Effinnuts, she might be saving some seats for you and your couples. She did for me and my buds at the UA game last year.
UA always brings a nice crowd, hopefully not too many Cuse fans have given up and we get some numbers from the too. I and my buds will be there too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Same uniforms, same numbers, same players, different team. Wow, Cuse pretty much shut Albany down, really wasn't much to not like about Cuse today. The D was incredible, really put on an exhibition. Bomberry pretty much owned Tehoka today. He had 2 Gs but one was on EMO (I think) from out front, the other on a broken play when he ended up 1 v 1 with the GK. Kennedy was a madman all over over the field and Mellen was his typical shadow self. He's so pesky with his stick it's incredible, he just makes you want to get rid of the ball. I don't know how good Albany's O is in the grand scheme of things, but Cuse made 'em look very ordinary today.
Cuse O looked a whole lot better today too. Voight ended up with a bunch, had a couple early on that normally would be goals too but the GK made a couple of point blank saves on him. Cuse sure does like that shot from about 15 yards out, many times I'd rather see them not take that shot. Had a few go in, finally got some from in tight as a result of some sweet ball movement and cuts too. All in all they looked pretty good. Was glad to see Buttermore get one, think he's pretty good, has a nice stick, quick and in tight. Was also glad to see JD rotate the FOGOs, and I don't think Phaup lost one all day. Nobody got beat up and banged up. Porter made some really sweet saves too, looked really good. Not a whole lot to be unhappy with on the field today, nice bounce back.
Real close to 5K in attendance, looked like more than that but pretty good turn out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”