Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Yale 2024

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:09 am
pcowlax wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 pm Had a chance to interview a member of the 2018 championship this week as part of a job application. Remarkable young man who has already gone on to great things. Very rewarding to root for a team with such student-athletes.
That's always great to hear. Whenever I've met Shay era players I've been impressed, and that 2018 team was pretty special even for a program with an outstanding culture.
Agree 100%. I've been very favorably impressed by the Shay-era lax alums I've met.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:01 pm Does Yale have an indoor facility for lacrosse?
Late reply" 'No' which is consistent with tough working approach. The players do not want one.
Lux et veritas
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

A Hobart lacrosse fan account on Twitter (@hobartlaxfans) had a good play by play on Twitter of the Yale vs. Hobart scrimmage. Bottom line, Yale was a goal or two behind until sometime in the third quarter, when Yale went on a 5 goal run to go from being down 6-7 to being up 11-7. Sounds like the final score was something like Yale 13 - 8.

A few nuggets from the Twitter feed:
  • Sounds like Hobart's FOGO may have gotten the better of the play at the X -- and similarly, a poster on the Hobart thread on FanLax saw Hobart as "dominant" at face-off;
  • Yale appears to have taken some penalties for overaggressive checks to the head/cross-checks to the back -- channeling hard-nosed play without dumb penalties is always a challenge and will be something they can work on;
  • Yale did a good job of scoring off of turnovers.
Haven't seen anything about the Yale vs. Fairfield scrimmage yet.
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

Was 6-6 at half.and 9-7 Yale at the end of 3. Subs came in for both after that.
Yale playing without some significant players on offense..
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

That was Hobart..Fairfield game was a lot of mixed lineups for Yale..Yale won but not sure you can take away much from either game..typical sloppy game for this tie of year..clears were sloppy..Yale D looked much better in first game...
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

XLdad wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:29 pm That was Hobart..Fairfield game was a lot of mixed lineups for Yale..Yale won but not sure you can take away much from either game..typical sloppy game for this tie of year..clears were sloppy..Yale D looked much better in first game...
Thanks for the report, XLdad.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:48 pm A Hobart lacrosse fan account on Twitter (@hobartlaxfans) had a good play by play on Twitter of the Yale vs. Hobart scrimmage. Bottom line, Yale was a goal or two behind until sometime in the third quarter, when Yale went on a 5 goal run to go from being down 6-7 to being up 11-7. Sounds like the final score was something like Yale 13 - 8.

A few nuggets from the Twitter feed:
  • Sounds like Hobart's FOGO may have gotten the better of the play at the X -- and similarly, a poster on the Hobart thread on FanLax saw Hobart as "dominant" at face-off;
  • Yale appears to have taken some penalties for overaggressive checks to the head/cross-checks to the back -- channeling hard-nosed play without dumb penalties is always a challenge and will be something they can work on;
  • Yale did a good job of scoring off of turnovers.
Haven't seen anything about the Yale vs. Fairfield scrimmage yet.
For what it’s worth we are running a 5th yr FOGO out there who’s quite good and better than his stats last year as he played the season injured (not hurt). Hes grinding, can win a quick draw but we’ve (Hobart) let him down at times on wing play but he excels in one on one draws. So if that’s a tough matchup for your guys that may explain it w style
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

We all know that Quint despises the Ivies and Yale but doesn't this seem like overkill?

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... b-12-2024/
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:35 pm We all know that Quint despises the Ivies and Yale but doesn't this seem like overkill?

Haha, Yale #16, that's funny. I guess I have no clue as I have them #8 this week.
If Yale is #16, then their are 15 great lacrosse teams ahead of them.

Yale quite easily could have the best attack threesome in the country.

Was Quint not accepted to an ivy league institution when graduating high school and that's why he hates on the ivies all the time?
Gobigred
Joewillie78
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

He mentions " injury bug"..do we know who is injured besides Sharp?
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

XLdad wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:27 pm He mentions " injury bug"..do we know who is injured besides Sharp?

Johnson has not played in any scrimmages
Bragg did not play the first weekend, but played this weekend
Lyons played first weekend, but did not play this weekend
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ice1570 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:03 pm
XLdad wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:27 pm He mentions " injury bug"..do we know who is injured besides Sharp?

This weekend, did Sheehan and Moynihan start with Brandau in attack?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Yale is known for having rough practices. Are these injuries the result of a rough practice?
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:43 am
Ice1570 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:03 pm

This weekend, did Sheehan and Moynihan start with Brandau in attack?
I believe Anderson and either Kuhl or Moynihan
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:42 am Yale is known for having rough practices. Are these injuries the result of a rough practice?
No
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Playing Anderson, Moynihan or Sheehan feels like a big drop because the regular starters have been there for so long, but the back ups are good. Losing Sharp hurt, but I'm till curious to see how this team does.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:35 pm We all know that Quint despises the Ivies and Yale but doesn't this seem like overkill?

My sense is that Quint likes Andy Shay a lot and has praised the program he’s built. I think the reasoning (which I understand) is that the conventional wisdom had Yale at a pre-season #10 based in large part on an elite attack unit of Brandau, Lyons, and Johnson, with a major question mark about Yale’s team D which has struggled for several years. If 1 or 2 of the attack unit is out — not to mention if Bragg the outside shooting threat is out of the EMo picture for a bit — there are more question marks as to whether Yale’s offense is elite, thus the downgrade to #16 from Quint.

I’m okay with it — maybe gives a bit of breathing room in the expectations department as some less experienced players (but with talent, like Moynihan at attack or Cashion at the midfield) look to play bigger roles given injuries.

He’s a little hung up on the schedule but based on his own Week 1 rankings Yale will play 2 top 10 teams (Penn State and Cornell; 3 11-15th ranked teams (Denver, BU, and Harvard); 1 16-20 team (Princeton); and 2 of his “on the radar” teams (Colgate and Penn). And even the Le Moyne game should not be a surprise given that Andy Shay is a Le Moyne alum.

It’s not the toughest schedule, to be sure, but it comes in at #20 on Lax Reference’s strength of schedule rankings — just behind North Carolina (#19 SOS) and ahead of BU (#21), Georgetown (#22), Richmond (#23), Army (#39) and Delaware (#61).
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

Hearing now Lyons is playing this weekend..Bragg also but somewhat limited..Johnson is not playing and not expected back anytime soon..
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

XLdad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm Hearing now Lyons is playing this weekend..Bragg also but somewhat limited..Johnson is not playing and not expected back anytime soon..
Thanks, XLdad. Glad that Lyons will be playing, and wishing a speedy rehab to the injured Elis.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

XLdad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm Hearing now Lyons is playing this weekend..Bragg also but somewhat limited..Johnson is not playing and not expected back anytime soon..
Yes, thank you XLdad. Sounds like Bragg could be mainly for EMO.

Leo will certainly be missed, and I hope he is back to full strength by the time League play starts. That being said, I do think there is enough quality depth in the squad to keep the Elis' attack force potent.

My wife planned a long weekend away for us, so I won't be able to watch the opener Saturday.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”