Towson 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Towson 2019

Post by houndace1 »

foreverlax wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:59 am The GT W will be short lived, Loyola Weds. The question is Weds. how do you play Pat Spencer ? Do you sluff off, play zone ? IMO as distributor he causes more problems . You have to seal off passing lanes. Absolutely stay home on the back side. Yes you lean ball side but too many teams leave gaping holes & he just picks you apart.
Not sure you play Spencer...he plays you and you do the best you can.

Expecting at ton of points by both teams.
Loyola 2018 alum and fan here, but this game against Towson every year is the one i worry the most. Its a mid week game and towson always plays Loyola tough. Both teams are coming off of good wins, and what scares me with this towson 2019 team is pretty much every part of the field. Woodall at face off, offense is clicking, Goodrich at SSDM. Every portion of the team this year is deep and talented IMO. I predict Loyola will squeak by in a 1 goal win but its going to be a back and forth game all night long on wednesday
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

foreverlax wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:59 am The GT W will be short lived, Loyola Weds. The question is Weds. how do you play Pat Spencer ? Do you sluff off, play zone ? IMO as distributor he causes more problems . You have to seal off passing lanes. Absolutely stay home on the back side. Yes you lean ball side but too many teams leave gaping holes & he just picks you apart.
Not sure you play Spencer...he plays you and you do the best you can.

Expecting at ton of points by both teams.
Loyola 2018 alum and fan here, but this game against Towson every year is the one i worry the most. Its a mid week game and towson always plays Loyola tough. Both teams are coming off of good wins, and what scares me with this towson 2019 team is pretty much every part of the field. Woodall at face off, offense is clicking, Goodrich at SSDM. Every portion of the team this year is deep and talented IMO. I predict Loyola will squeak by in a 1 goal win but its going to be a back and forth game all night long on wednesday
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
molo

Post by molo »

Clear and cold forecast for Wednesday is pretty typical for this game. Woodall should give Towson lots of possessions. How well will the Loyola d cope with the big left/right Towson attack combo? The Battle of Baltimore should pit number one against number three or four. Looks like a pickem.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I like the grit and hustle of Towson. They ain't backing down off anyone. Yes - this will be a battle of 2 Heavyweights and I can see either team winning. I predict Towson will win a majority of faceoffs and if they limit turnovers and poor shot selection I think they have an opportunity for the W. We all know what Spencer can do but Key to W for Hounds is Stover. If he has another good game Loyola might eke out the W. Of course what I just said is pretty simple lax 101.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 am I like the grit and hustle of Towson. They ain't backing down off anyone. Yes - this will be a battle of 2 Heavyweights and I can see either team winning. I predict Towson will win a majority of faceoffs and if they limit turnovers and poor shot selection I think they have an opportunity for the W. We all know what Spencer can do but Key to W for Hounds is Stover. If he has another good game Loyola might eke out the W. Of course what I just said is pretty simple lax 101.
and i wholeheartedly agree! Woodall will win a majority of the faceoffs but expect Savio to fight. Loyola's offense will be clicking but they will be put to the test by Towson's annually stout defense. Loyola will have an aggressive D as well so to your point, i really think it comes down to who has less turnovers and who has the better goalie performance.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

"Zach Goodrich did not finish the game; his health is a major news item entering Wednesday's game with Loyola" - Quint

:shock:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quint is talking crap.
Goodrich will be there.

I think its asking a lot of a group of student and athletes.
They had to regroup after the Final Four year.
And even with someone like Nads at the helm, it still took 20 months, that’s almost two years.

Now they’re playing real well.
The Loyola game?
Is it really critical in the long (short) run.
Well I wouldn’t put anything past Nads.

But also, Nads with his scheduling has also put the Tigers in a very good spot for at large.

A win over, obviously the Hounds, but also opportunities with Cornell, Duke, Denver, any one of those.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

In the next four weeks TOWSON plays Spencer, Teat, Giles- Harris & E. Walker. Not to shabby. #1 Loyola up first Weds night 6p
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. They've averaged 18 per game thus far. They've gotten away with it so far but ultimately that's way too many against Loyola, Duke or Denver.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 am Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. They've averaged 18 per game thus far. They've gotten away with it so far but ultimately that's way too many against Loyola, Duke or Denver.
Correct too many turnovers. However 50 shots vs Hopkins, 45 shots vs GT. Plus the Woodall factor. The shot clock w more opportunities has helped & taken the penalty out of the number of turnovers.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 am Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. They've averaged 18 per game thus far. They've gotten away with it so far but ultimately that's way too many against Loyola, Duke or Denver.
Interesting -

54 - total turnovers in 3 games - 19/16/19
7 - turnovers due to shot clock violation 4/0/3
26 - turnovers caused by other team 9/11/6

7 - number of times, per game, we have "given" the other team the ball...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Go check the shot clock thread.. TO's are up across the board.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re saying its a 6pm game time now.
TU LU is LSN game of the week.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm Go check the shot clock thread.. TO's are up across the board.
Not shocking due to the 20-second rule but 18 is still too many. We're playing faster so turnovers will occur. But we can't afford the ones on offense, in an man-up situations or early shotclock violations. If you are going to get one late with a decent lead, fine. It's doable but we have to be better than we've been the first three games and I think we're capable. Wonder when Matt Sovero is coming back.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm Go check the shot clock thread.. TO's are up across the board.
Not shocking due to the 20-second rule but 18 is still too many. We're playing faster so turnovers will occur. But we can't afford the ones on offense, in an man-up situations or early shotclock violations. If you are going to get one late with a decent lead, fine. It's doable but we have to be better than we've been the first three games and I think we're capable. Wonder when Matt Sovero is coming back.
I agree with you, I believe we may see TO's start to drop as teams really evaluate what is causing them and players settle in to the stresses of the sped up game and ticking of the clock.

For comparison. the current #1 ranked team is avg. 18.3 TO's a game (55 thru 3 games), their leading scorer has the most with 10...roughly 3/game. IMO, what many people are missing, is that defenses are applying more pressure and extending out on adjacents, putting more stress on the ball carrier.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 am
Math1234 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 pm
I agree with you, I believe we may see TO's start to drop as teams really evaluate what is causing them and players settle in to the stresses of the sped up game and ticking of the clock.

For comparison. the current #1 ranked team is avg. 18.3 TO's a game (55 thru 3 games), their leading scorer has the most with 10...roughly 3/game. IMO, what many people are missing, is that defenses are applying more pressure and extending out on adjacents, putting more stress on the ball carrier.
It is interesting to watch this unfold. If I had to rank turnovers good to bad -

1. Shot clock - ensure that doesn't result in a fast break...roll the ball in to the opposite corner.
2. CTO - sometimes a defender does take the ball from you
3. Easy save - bad shot that is easily saved, creating fast outlet/fastbreak.
4. UFE - unforced errors, like not backing up the goal.

I have always been one to focus on how many times we simply give away the ball....and how many of those turn in to goals.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

from the Loyola Thread:
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:36 am I expect this to be close, and I'll be surprised if it tilts heavily either way. I hope those injury rumors about Towson are just rumors.
What's this about?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:45 am from the Loyola Thread:
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:36 am I expect this to be close, and I'll be surprised if it tilts heavily either way. I hope those injury rumors about Towson are just rumors.
What's this about?
Quint suggested that Goodrich is banged up and is questionable to play tonight.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Let's hope not.....
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:45 am from the Loyola Thread:
What's this about?
Quint suggested that Goodrich is banged up and is questionable to play tonight.
Click bait.
Quint is full of the old bull of course.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”