~Salisbury 2023~

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ShoreThingMD

Re: ~Salisbury 2023~

Post by ShoreThingMD »

First off, congrats to the guys! Heck of a season and saved their best performance for when it mattered the most. I was able to chat with some of my former teammates before the game and while we were confident, we knew Tufts was no slouch and that many who never wore the maroon and gold were counting us out. Felt like it was one of the few times Salisbury walked into a national championship game an underdog and we loved it.

As far as next year...
Curious to see who comes back and uses that extra year. I don't know enough about it, but I could see a guy like Jack Dowd transferring to Jacksonville (if he is eligible). He accomplished what he came to accomplish at Salisbury and now has an opportunity to head back home to finish out his collegiate career. I also thought about Cole Nestor and the possibility of him playing with Luke. Both are hometown kids with the benefit of their Dad working at the institution. Obviously, this is all speculation, but just a few things I've had thought about.

Coach Berkman takes pride in never rebuilding, just reloading. Congrats again to the boys and hope to see another strong team next year.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Exciting to hear Jude Brown is expected back for another year to take advantage of the covid year.

Will be interested to see what happens on attack next year as there are some options. Some combination of Brown/Thrasher (eligible for sixth year)/Carrozza (headed into senior year/ and potentially moving Bromwell from midfield to attack (can play both positions).

Midfield will have to see what happens Dowd.

Defense and d midfield could be a big change. Lots of guys listed as seniors or grad. I know Woodward was on year 6 and Timmons is listed in the portal (Apgar was able to successfully transition to Rutgers but dealt with some injuries there).

Excited for 2024
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Jknows wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 pm Exciting to hear Jude Brown is expected back for another year to take advantage of the covid year.

Will be interested to see what happens on attack next year as there are some options. Some combination of Brown/Thrasher (eligible for sixth year)/Carrozza (headed into senior year/ and potentially moving Bromwell from midfield to attack (can play both positions).

Defense and d midfield could be a big change. Lots of guys listed as seniors or grad. I know Woodward was on year 6 and Timmons is listed in the portal (Apgar was able to successfully transition to Rutgers but dealt with some injuries there).

Excited for 2024
Salisbury is really about to become 6th year U :lol: I never really fault the players on taking a 6th year because I'd probably do the same thing if I were able to, but I still believe the NCAA messed up by giving back the eligibility from the 2021-2022 season. We now have 24/25 year old's going against 18/19 year olds.

Now enough of my rant, let's talk lacrosse.

I assume Dowd will be back as he is not in the portal and he still has two years of eligibility left. That Midfield of him, Bromwell, and Nestor is lethal. Big reason they were so hard to guard this year so I wouldn't expect Berkman to move #6 down to attack unless he absolutely has to.

Defensively, I believe they will still be dominant. Defazio is an animal and they return Ransom who had some big games last year. Their D-Mids were young and showed promise last year. LSM #55 looks like he is poised for a big year. Does #40 return? He is very talented.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:33 am It is my understanding that Ferrara will be the only real loss on the offensive end. Rumor has it that Jude Brown will be back next year to direct the offense. Couple that with all the seniors having a Covid year, Salisbury seems primed to make a run at a repeat.
Jude being back would be huge
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:45 pm
Jknows wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 pm Exciting to hear Jude Brown is expected back for another year to take advantage of the covid year.

Excited for 2024
Salisbury is really about to become 6th year U :lol: I never really fault the players on taking a 6th year because I'd probably do the same thing if I were able to, but I still believe the NCAA messed up by giving back the eligibility from the 2021-2022 season. We now have 24/25 year old's going against 18/19 year olds.

Now enough of my rant, let's talk lacrosse.

I assume Dowd will be back as he is not in the portal and he still has two years of eligibility left. That Midfield of him, Bromwell, and Nestor is lethal. Big reason they were so hard to guard this year so I wouldn't expect Berkman to move #6 down to attack unless he absolutely has to.

Defensively, I believe they will still be dominant. Defazio is an animal and they return Ransom who had some big games last year. Their D-Mids were young and showed promise last year. LSM #55 looks like he is poised for a big year. Does #40 return? He is very talented.
Seems like Berkman is making a final “all in” run. So many players using 5th and 6th year. Looks like Berkman might be trying to end his career on back to back titles.
Salisbury in 2025 is going to be a bunch of upper class with no real game time experience.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Laxattack, are you thinking Berkman plans to retire within the next 2 years? Or just surmising that he is going all in on the 5th/6th years and maybe leaving the tank empty once COVID eligibility is behind us?

Berkman like many others will utilize whatever is available and there appears to be a ton of young talent on the team.

As to the 5th and 6th years, NCAA set the rules and we live with the fallout. York and CNU both had exceptional 2022 campaigns relying heavily on such players. I get the point that 5th and 6th seems odd given how many we are seeing but I wonder how normal this already was. I.e., if a guy reclasses in HS (or goes PG) and then misses a year due to injury in college, you'd have a scenario where players would naturally be 23-24. COVID just seemed to alter the quantity of players and the frustrating part for many seems to be that various players can actually play an entire 5th/6th year now which has to be deflating to some of the younger players who appear to get screwed by covid eligibility process.
LacrosseGuy804

Post by LacrosseGuy804 »

5th year players is one thing. 6th year players is quite another.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

D3 Fan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:28 pm Laxattack, are you thinking Berkman plans to retire within the next 2 years? Or just surmising that he is going all in on the 5th/6th years and maybe leaving the tank empty once COVID eligibility is behind us?

Berkman like many others will utilize whatever is available and there appears to be a ton of young talent on the team.

As to the 5th and 6th years, NCAA set the rules and we live with the fallout. York and CNU both had exceptional 2022 campaigns relying heavily on such players. I get the point that 5th and 6th seems odd given how many we are seeing but I wonder how normal this already was. I.e., if a guy reclasses in HS (or goes PG) and then misses a year due to injury in college, you'd have a scenario where players would naturally be 23-24. COVID just seemed to alter the quantity of players and the frustrating part for many seems to be that various players can actually play an entire 5th/6th year now which has to be deflating to some of the younger players who appear to get screwed by covid eligibility process.
Could be both. He dominated D3, then had a gap. I think last years grads were the first class to not win a title? 2024 would be confirmation that 2023 wasn’t a fluke. I could see him retiring. I have no knowledge on this. Just seems like a great exit strategy
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:10 pm 2024 would be confirmation that 2023 wasn’t a fluke.
Can't imagine anyone would ever think Salisbury's success was a fluke.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Thanks laxattack, all good points. I'm already excited for 2024 to get here!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:16 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:10 pm 2024 would be confirmation that 2023 wasn’t a fluke.
Maybe “fluke” wasn’t the right term. There was a lot of talk about how Berkman hadn’t won a title in a few years. About how the class of 22 was the first class to not win a title. If Berkman could get a repeat, or multiple wins to close out a career, would silence all critics.
ClaudeHenrySmoott

Post by ClaudeHenrySmoott »

Who is criticizing a man w his coaching records and achievements? God himself??
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:03 am
Maybe “fluke” wasn’t the right term. There was a lot of talk about how Berkman hadn’t won a title in a few years. About how the class of 22 was the first class to not win a title. If Berkman could get a repeat, or multiple wins to close out a career, would silence all critics.
If Berkman has critics than they don’t need to silenced they need to be institutionalized.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:03 am
Wait, someone is criticizing 13x NC coach?
Please tell me who.
:lol:
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

https://suseagulls.com/news/2023/6/11/m ... onday.aspx
Salisbury men’s lacrosse invited to white house
Link to watch in article
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

I noticed Boyden and Kohn from Tufts are in the transfer portal. Kohn (FOGO) apparently going to Syracuse and Boyden, I believe D 3 POY, undeclared.

Is Berkman or one of the Gull Asst. Coaches permitted to call these fellows and pitch a year playing for the Gulls? Not sure about their academic interests but Salisbury U. is a decent school and definitely on the upswing.

A year with Berkman/Jayme Block and FOGO Kohn could potentially garner an NC and an Honorary Doctor of the Dot.
At Syracuse he'll play for two lacrosse legends weighing a collective 700 lbs and be lucky to make the NCAA tournament.

John Uppgren IMO was the best D 3 lax Attackman since Jason Coffman and he came within inches of a three-peat playing for Mike Daly. I'd like to see what Berkman would do with Boyden and the returning Gull offense including Brown.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:39 pm Is Berkman or one of the Gull Asst. Coaches permitted to call these fellows and pitch a year playing for the Gulls?
Yes! Once a player is (officially) in the portal they can be contacted by any coach in the country.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:39 pm I noticed Boyden and Kohn from Tufts are in the transfer portal. Kohn (FOGO) apparently going to Syracuse and Boyden, I believe D 3 POY, undeclared.

Is Berkman or one of the Gull Asst. Coaches permitted to call these fellows and pitch a year playing for the Gulls? Not sure about their academic interests but Salisbury U. is a decent school and definitely on the upswing.

A year with Berkman/Jayme Block and FOGO Kohn could potentially garner an NC and an Honorary Doctor of the Dot.
At Syracuse he'll play for two lacrosse legends weighing a collective 700 lbs and be lucky to make the NCAA tournament.

John Uppgren IMO was the best D 3 lax Attackman since Jason Coffman and he came within inches of a three-peat playing for Mike Daly. I'd like to see what Berkman would do with Boyden and the returning Gull offense including Brown.
I understand Salisbury is a good lax program. But seriously? You think someone would transfer from tufts to Salisbury??? That is like someone transferring from Harvard to UMBC. Not happening.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:53 am
MrLax2U wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:39 pm I noticed Boyden and Kohn from Tufts are in the transfer portal. Kohn (FOGO) apparently going to Syracuse and Boyden, I believe D 3 POY, undeclared.

I understand Salisbury is a good lax program. But seriously? You think someone would transfer from tufts to Salisbury??? That is like someone transferring from Harvard to UMBC. Not happening.
I would never speak for another institution, but since I won’t have one in about a year, and my fuse is temporarily short as a result. Go. Pound. Sand.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”