MAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: MAC 2023

Post by DeepPocket »

Eastern showed their depth with 9 players finding the back of the net in their 23-13 win over Messiah. This score was very similar to Eastern vs Widener (22-14). Messiah will have another chance to show where they slot in on the MAC-c pecking order when they meet Widener 4/22.

York again fell just short of a tippy top team, this time in Gettysburg, losing 9-8. That’s 1 goal in OT to W&L, 1 goal to RIT, 1 goal to Gettysburg, 3 goals to Amherst, and 4 goals to Salisbury. They face another tough out in Denison Saturday, and will need to play a full 60 minutes. Both teams will come in with something to prove.

Stevenson dropped 32 on Albright for a 32-5 final. Albright had 1 goal through the completion of 3 quarters. Your backups can get some runs and have plenty chance to score in a game that was 20-1 in the first half without it going this far. I didn’t watch the game, but I have to feel like class needs to be displayed at some point…
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:49 am Stevenson dropped 32 on Albright for a 32-5 final. Albright had 1 goal through the completion of 3 quarters. Your backups can get some runs and have plenty chance to score in a game that was 20-1 in the first half without it going this far. I didn’t watch the game, but I have to feel like class needs to be displayed at some point…
Coach Cantabene is still on a revenge tour from 1996 when he was an assistant at Hopkins and Stevenson got 32 dropped on them by Western Maryland
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
viper

Post by viper »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:32 am
DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:49 am Stevenson dropped 32 on Albright for a 32-5 final. Albright had 1 goal through the completion of 3 quarters. Your backups can get some runs and have plenty chance to score in a game that was 20-1 in the first half without it going this far. I didn’t watch the game, but I have to feel like class needs to be displayed at some point…
Coach Cantabene is still on a revenge tour from 1996 when he was an assistant at Hopkins and Stevenson got 32 dropped on them by Western Maryland
While I don't typically ascribe to telling the backups who never get to play to "not go to the goal", there is a point at which enough is enough. In last night's 25-2 drubbing of Wilkes, Steven's Coach Peluso called off the troops with about 6 minutes left in the game when they hit 25. Starters were mostly out after the 1st quarter (up 12-0 if I remember correctly) and during the last 6 minutes the offense just kept running the shot clock to 0 and dropping the ball in the corner.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

With Easter weekend on the horizon and to try and spare everyone from the "when is it acceptable and not acceptable to keep scoring" (please see the nescac thread from earlier this season) a huge game between York and Denison in York. A rematch of an NCAA tournament game at the same location and both teams both probably feeling some pressure to get a win at this point in the year with Denison recently losing to Kenyon and York coming off the Gettysburg loss, both teams will be looking to wash the taste out of their mouth before a string of winnable games for both sides.

I have a hard time seeing Denison making that long trip and getting off the bus and winning this one, but have been proven wrong before. Anyone have any key points of interest for this game? Match ups that could determine the outcome? Etc.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:58 am …Anyone have any key points of interest for this game? Match ups that could determine the outcome? Etc.
IMO the outcome, as with most games, will be greatly affected by faceoffs. Denison’s Grant Larson appears to have taken the starting FO job from Colin MacLean since their Gettysburg game. However both are more than competent, each surprisingly at over .70, and I have no doubt if Facciponti appears to initially be a mismatch not in their favor, they will not hesitate to switch it up.

For York, if Facciponti is anywhere near about even with his opponent, having the size and experience of Greene on the wing could tilt things in their favor, preventing clean wins by Denison from turning into rushes. If they can win the battle in the middle of the field, and control the pace, I like York’s odds.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:58 am With Easter weekend on the horizon and to try and spare everyone from the "when is it acceptable and not acceptable to keep scoring" (please see the nescac thread from earlier this season)…
As far as this portion is concerned, yes, it is too often discussed & and seemingly arbitrary in nature. But if it’s too often discussed, perhaps one could suggest it’s too often an issue. And further more, I would state that it’s not so much one set standard of a score or time, but what a reasonable person would feel at the time (much like in legal terms). If a consensus of reasonable people would conclude that at THIS point, in THIS game, additional scoring constitutes a d__k move, then chances are the person doing it is a d__k...

In this case, I would think 20-1 at the half would be good enough time as any to roll full subs. Then after a quarter of relentless scoring by subs, 28-1 at the start of the 4th would be beyond reasonable to signal that “roll it to the corner” moment.
viper

Post by viper »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:37 pm
boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:58 am With Easter weekend on the horizon and to try and spare everyone from the "when is it acceptable and not acceptable to keep scoring" (please see the nescac thread from earlier this season)…
As far as this portion is concerned, yes, it is too often discussed & and seemingly arbitrary in nature. But if it’s too often discussed, perhaps one could suggest it’s too often an issue. And further more, I would state that it’s not so much one set standard of a score or time, but what a reasonable person would feel at the time (much like in legal terms). If a consensus of reasonable people would conclude that at THIS point, in THIS game, additional scoring constitutes a d__k move, then chances are the person doing it is a d__k...

In this case, I would think 20-1 at the half would be good enough time as any to roll full subs. Then after a quarter of relentless scoring by subs, 28-1 at the start of the 4th would be beyond reasonable to signal that “roll it to the corner” moment.
Great post.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Rolling it to the corner on each possession is worse than having all subs in and continuing to score.

Most college teams have about 40-50 on the roster. The top 15-20 see action most games. Those are the kids that should be on the bench the second half.
But intentionally rolling it to the corner?? What’s the point. I mean if you are going to suggest that, why even clear the ball? Just give the ball back to the opposing team if your defense takes it away or saves a shot
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:58 am Rolling it to the corner on each possession is worse than having all subs in and continuing to score.

Most college teams have about 40-50 on the roster. The top 15-20 see action most games. Those are the kids that should be on the bench the second half.
But intentionally rolling it to the corner?? What’s the point. I mean if you are going to suggest that, why even clear the ball? Just give the ball back to the opposing team if your defense takes it away or saves a shot
I know it's controversial, but why not a running clock when one team is ahead by a specific number of goals (12, 13?) after the first half. Clock only stops for injury or team timeouts.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

nevadajoe wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:10 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:58 am Rolling it to the corner on each possession is worse than having all subs in and continuing to score.

I know it's controversial, but why not a running clock when one team is ahead by a specific number of goals (12, 13?) after the first half. Clock only stops for injury or team timeouts.
Because it’s college lacrosse. Not kiddie kickers.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Worse for who? And in what way?
Nobody is “learning” anything down 27 goals. I agree with underlings getting a good amount of time and opportunity to let it fly in a lopsided game, but there is a gentlemen’s limit if those matchups are lopsided too, no? Or just let it be a 40-5 game?
nevadajoe wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:10 am I know it's controversial, but why not a running clock when one team is ahead by a specific number of goals (12, 13?) after the first half. Clock only stops for injury or team timeouts.
I don’t think legislating it out like in U10 is the answer at the college level. My point was simply that there most definitely is a standard/code. You can break the code but be warned, there is always a bigger/meaner fish. And when there are teams that people love to see fail, don’t anyone be surprised or question why when you see who they are.
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:19 am Because it’s college lacrosse. Not kiddie kickers.
Agreed. But humiliate people and others take notice. People love seeing a bully get knocked out.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Weekly MACtion of note;

Stevens vs Arcadia
York vs Eastern
Stevenson vs Widener
Messiah vs Lebanon Valley

Will all likely have predictable outcomes.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:26 am Weekly MACtion of note;

Stevens vs Arcadia
York vs Eastern
Stevenson vs Widener

Don't forget DeSales vs Misericordia
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxrules wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:28 am
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:26 am Weekly MACtion of note;

Stevens vs Arcadia
York vs Eastern
Stevenson vs Widener

Don't forget DeSales vs Misericordia
True. Though this one might be a lot closer. I will say, DeSales played a pretty tough schedule. Gettysburg, Muhlenberg, Cabrini, Ursinus, Stockton, RPI, Stevens. The fact that they’re 3-7 looks bad, but sitting just outside the playoff picture, if they can jump a spot or 2 and make it in, they would certainly be battle tested for conference tournament matchups.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

What an absolute beat down in the Freedom side today. Stevens almost dropped 30 on Arcadia. Are the ducks for real?
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

What an absolute beat down in the Freedom side today. Stevens almost dropped 30 on Arcadia. Are the ducks for real?
I'd have to go with they are the Big Fish in a small pond. They were soundly beat the two times they played ranked competition. With their transfer portal acquisition and recruiting I expected them to be competitive on a national level.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:35 am
I'd have to go with they are the Big Fish in a small pond. They were soundly beat the two times they played ranked competition. With their transfer portal acquisition and recruiting I expected them to be competitive on a national level.
First game of year with an entirely new core and we’re hanging with Dickinson until half time. Tufts agreed are on a different level
viper

Post by viper »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:50 pm
First game of year with an entirely new core and we’re hanging with Dickinson until half time. Tufts agreed are on a different level
Don’t forget that they handled Wesleyan without too much trouble as well. Ducks are as good as they’ve been for several years and should roll through Mac Freedom to national tournament. Good enough to win a game or two (or three?) in the big tourney, but I just don’t see them at the level of the top 5 at this point.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

viper wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:33 pm
Don’t forget that they handled Wesleyan without too much trouble as well. Ducks are as good as they’ve been for several years and should roll through Mac Freedom to national tournament. Good enough to win a game or two (or three?) in the big tourney, but I just don’t see them at the level of the top 5 at this point.
I watched two of their games. They should get through the MAC-F. But beyond that, it all depends where they get seeded. Of the current top 20. Not sure how many of those teams they are better. They can beat a few. Can be compete with a few more with a perfect game. But many of those top 15 teams will take you off your “perfect game” plan. The Wesleyan win is impressive. But there are some close games to average teams. I watched the tufts game. It was never close. But tufts is on a different level.
viper

Post by viper »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:23 pm
viper wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:33 pm
I watched two of their games. They should get through the MAC-F. But beyond that, it all depends where they get seeded. Of the current top 20. Not sure how many of those teams they are better. They can beat a few. Can be compete with a few more with a perfect game. But many of those top 15 teams will take you off your “perfect game” plan. The Wesleyan win is impressive. But there are some close games to average teams. I watched the tufts game. It was never close. But tufts is on a different level.
I agree 100% that seeding will be huge. I do think they are at a point where they can compete with teams in the 10-20 range but likely a different story in the 1-10. Having said that, this team is deeper than they have been for several years. Solid in goal with a strong attack and lots of midfield options. They need to do better at the faceoff x and really need to cut down on the penalties against the better teams to have a chance to move their recent historical ceiling

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”