Notre Dame 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Notre Dame 2023

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:37 pm the ivy woe is me late start times mantra will have to wait another sport year at least, methinks.

i'm actually a little shocked you of all people has fallen for it.

how did the tigers look in the fall?
You believe starting two weeks later has no impact on scheduling with the advent of conference play and conference tournaments? I agree to disagree. 12 games is light. The coach said so himself, but what does he know. Probably lying about preferring to play more games.... looked fine against OSU. Quick tempo offense. New face on attack. Defense should be good. As much success as last season? who knows.. Hard to tell. Face-off units improved also.
nobody's lying. they just don't prefer enough. i heard detroit mercy is available most mid-weeks. btw, ironically the domers' 1st game is feb 15. then they play on the 19th.

who's the new guy @ attack? that's got to be good news at d.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:40 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:11 pm https://und.com/sports/mlax/schedule/
it looks like they play on the weekends. harvard women have 14 games and princeton 15. do they have to start @ the same time as the men? is saturday feb the 18th the 1st day allowed, or just "the 3rd week"? asking because i don't know.

the high school in my town can't play until the 3rd week of march, a full month after "the week of" feb 18, and somehow get in 14 games by the 1st week of may. and that's with a mandated week (10 days) of spring break.

i get it. fans think it's the razor's edge.
The men don’t always play 12.
covid was a b*tch.
Also, Women have 1 extra conference game. And Temple, for instance is a close midweek game. Unless on break, women won’t head out west to play USC (home). The women have a good schedule. Anything after 2/15 is allowable ( I believe). I believe Captain practices ended for the men Today and they can
have small sessions with the coaches until Wednesday. Glad they won’t have a game on 2/4 or something like that. It would be rough.
again... these are coach and program choices. it hasn't seemed to impact anything to date on game volume. one thing that would be cool is an idea of how and why teams can make the tournament. until then, going forward i'm with the committee.
Despite some occasionally fluidity in secondary or teritary criteria at the margin for the last spot or two it seems clear that wins against good teams is always beneficial. Even the marginal hop invites in the prior decade or similar they’d still have their win or few of note (note meaning of value in the criteria somewhere quantitatively and qualitatively). Given that more opportunities equals high chance of inclusion. Particularly in a conference w no actual AQ, unlike the auto Western bid he could snag 20-25yrs ago under the old order.

You seem to use fans as a pejorative and also seem to ignore that this is largely a reaction to certain media “experts” over the top raging about their exclusion as if anyone questioning it or challenging it is a irrational know nothing. At least that’s the impression I’m getting.

No kidding it’s the coach’s call (to a degree). Doesn’t mean it can’t be discussed, questioned or even challenged. Just sat in on a youth coaches meeting this am and they presented the decline in all sports participation and then particularly in lacrosse. We’re all stakeholders in the future of the game. And further not wanting an extra game against a meaningless opponent still deprives kids of a game. Forget at larges and RPIs. It’s a lame decision to choose to do so. Worse for a school and program where resources aren’t much of a factor.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:37 pm the ivy woe is me late start times mantra will have to wait another sport year at least, methinks.

You believe starting two weeks later has no impact on scheduling with the advent of conference play and conference tournaments? I agree to disagree. 12 games is light. The coach said so himself, but what does he know. Probably lying about preferring to play more games.... looked fine against OSU. Quick tempo offense. New face on attack. Defense should be good. As much success as last season? who knows.. Hard to tell. Face-off units improved also.
nobody's lying. they just don't prefer enough. i heard detroit mercy is available most mid-weeks. btw, ironically the domers' 1st game is feb 15. then they play on the 19th.

I wonder why ND doesn't start earlier? Seems like it would be easier to get more games in instead of craming them in over a shorter period. Detroit to Princeton is quite a trip for a midweek game. I see their midweek non conference game is at Ohio State. Might be 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Surprise they don't try to get down to UNC or Duke for a Tuesdays game while school is in session.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:07 am

I wonder why ND doesn't start earlier? Seems like it would be easier to get more games in instead of craming them in over a shorter period. Detroit to Princeton is quite a trip for a midweek game. I see their midweek non conference game is at Ohio State. Might be 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Surprise they don't try to get down to UNC or Duke for a Tuesdays game while school is in session.
the princeton women played 5 midweek games last year that weren't spring break. they will play another 5 this year. some on the road. for the men, it's 2 last year, 1 this year. class situation i'm sure is similar if not identical.

one of the reasons the men can do this is because a # of their peers are playing 12, 13, 14 games and it's not much of a difference. the women play more games across nc$$ and they would stick out like a sore thumb if they played a dozen.

nd needs to go 6 and 6 at the minimum, then. 6 wins? pretty good shot one of those is a tournament team right there.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:06 am

the princeton women played 5 midweek games last year that weren't spring break. they will play another 5 this year. some on the road. for the men, it's 2 last year, 1 this year. class situation i'm sure is similar if not identical.

one of the reasons the men can do this is because a # of their peers are playing 12, 13, 14 games and it's not much of a difference. the women play more games across nc$$ and they would stick out like a sore thumb if they played a dozen.

nd needs to go 6 and 6 at the minimum, then. 6 wins? pretty good shot one of those is a tournament team right there.
Whoever said there are no midweek games? One on the women’s is a conference game. Some coaches like a strategy of 12 high quality games with one week’s rest. ND is a practitioner…as is Maryland. On the other hand it would be easier for Maryland to schedule midweek games given the proximity of other colleges. ND is at a comparative disadvantage in that regard (read my words carefully before you claim I said they can’t play any) BTW, I have heard the 12 games and go 6-6 out of coaches mouths. 12 games is a razor’s edge IMHO and you are free to believe that travel distance for a midweek games is irrelevant. That’s your opinion. Show me where I said, Princeton only scheduled 12 games because they can’t play midweek. Two midweek dates from years past have been dropped. One because the team wants full rest heading into the Syracuse game. But hey, maybe it’s just play 12 go 6-6 and hope to get in the tournament as a .500 team. Travel distance and academic calendar plays A PART. You are also free to believe that team that a team that has a 3 week head start for scheduling games doesn’t have more scheduling flexibility…. I was speaking generically, you keep bringing up the Tigers for some reason….PS, one of the Tiger potential midweek games was dropped by a school that didn’t honor its commitment and backed out…. Probably a lie by the coach also.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:38 am

Whoever said there are no midweek games? One on the women’s is a conference game. Some coaches like a strategy of 12 high quality games with on one week’s rest. I have heard it out of their mouths. 12 games is a razor’s edge IMHO and you are free to believe that travel distance for a midweek games is irrelevant. That’s your opinion. Show me where I said, Princeton only scheduled 12 games because they can’t get play midweek. Two midweek dates from years past have been dropped. One because the team wants full rest heading into the Syracuse game. But hey, maybe it’s just play 12 go 6-6 and hope to get in the tournament as a .500 team. You are also free to believe that team that has a 3 week head start for scheduling games doesn’t have more scheduling flexibility…. I was speaking generically, you keep bringing up the Tigers for some reason.
i too, don't understand what we're doing here. personally, i don't believe playing *only* 12 games matters much at all vs. 13 or 14 or however many.

nothing is perfect and scheduling is not easy, there are a lot of moving parts. and it's easy to get it wrong in hindsight when your opponents underperform.

one thing the entire acc did very poorly was set up their shiny new 6 game schedule. not just hindsight, said it was a turrible idea at the time. they risk it again if a team or 2 has a disaster of a season.

the irish have been undeterred with a lighter game schedule because if anything it's been a non-issue and in fact they've been largely rewarded with bids.

while it's my opinion that it's difficult preseason to know what will be important come selection time, many instances (the acc schedule among them) lead me to believe some coaches don't even read the tea leaves that are available very well.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 am

Whoever said there are no midweek games? One on the women’s is a conference game. Some coaches like a strategy of 12 high quality games with on one week’s rest. I have heard it out of their mouths. 12 games is a razor’s edge IMHO and you are free to believe that travel distance for a midweek games is irrelevant. That’s your opinion. Show me where I said, Princeton only scheduled 12 games because they can’t get play midweek. Two midweek dates from years past have been dropped. One because the team wants full rest heading into the Syracuse game. But hey, maybe it’s just play 12 go 6-6 and hope to get in the tournament as a .500 team. You are also free to believe that team that has a 3 week head start for scheduling games doesn’t have more scheduling flexibility…. I was speaking generically, you keep bringing up the Tigers for some reason.
i too, don't understand what we're doing here. personally, i don't believe playing *only* 12 games matters much at all vs. 13 or 14 or however many.

nothing is perfect and scheduling is not easy, there are a lot of moving parts. and it's easy to get it wrong in hindsight when your opponents underperform.

one thing the entire acc did very poorly was set up their shiny new 6 game schedule. not just hindsight, said it was a turrible idea at the time. they risk it again if a team or 2 has a disaster of a season.

the irish have been undeterred with a lighter game schedule because if anything it's been a non-issue and in fact they've been largely rewarded with bids.

while it's my opinion that it's difficult preseason to know what will be important come selection time, many instances (the acc schedule among them) lead me to believe some coaches don't even read the tea leaves that are available very well.
My generic point that geography makes it easier for some schools to schedule midweek than others is invalid? Notice I didn’t say it’s the only reason why a particular school doesn’t schedule more…. You also believe my generic point that being able to start playing games 3 weeks earlier has no potential impact on a school’s ability to schedule more games? Those two things have no impact on scheduling?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 am

My generic point that geography makes it easier for some schools to schedule midweek than others is invalid? Notice I didn’t say it’s the only reason why a particular school doesn’t schedule more…. You also believe my generic point that being able to start playing games 3 weeks earlier has no potential impact on a school’s ability to schedule more games? Those two things have no impact on scheduling?
go back a few pages on this thread and i mentioned how notre dame might have circumstances, particularly as an outpost and in an odd # conference, to make late season scheduling difficult.

however, if they really cared to get 13 or 14 games in, they would do it. they'd start early. they'd travel midweek.

there are similar shades of truth to what you're saying about p'ton. it's not *easy*. in their case, they may prefer to have more, and i'll take your word of course that they do. but if they either felt it was compelling to do or just really wanted to? they would have a couple more games.

prior to last year, any ivy couldn't be faulted to think they'd have to probably also make the ilt for an nc$$ bid in the 1st place. giving them another game at least against a strong team.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:49 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 am

go back a few pages on this thread and i mentioned how notre dame might have circumstances, particularly as an outpost and in an odd # conference, to make late season scheduling difficult.

however, if they really cared to get 13 or 14 games in, they would do it. they'd start early. they'd travel midweek.

there are similar shades of truth to what you're saying about p'ton. it's not *easy*. in their case, they may prefer to have more, and i'll take your word of course that they do. but if they either felt it was compelling to do or just really wanted to? they would have a couple more games.

prior to last year, any ivy couldn't be faulted to think they'd have to probably also make the ilt for an nc$$ bid in the 1st place. giving them another game at least against a strong team.
Really no reason other than scheduling strategy for ND and Maryland even more so, to play more games. Not sure I ever said a coach’s decision plays no part in it. I offered other potential circumstances that may impact scheduling for some schools versus others….13 (more common) or 14 is normally the number for Princeton. 12 is light…. As for last season, 5 ILT teams in was abnormal…. As was not making the ILT but getting a bid. OOC results were better than expected. ND schedule and beat Princeton, Penn or Cornell and they likely are in the tournament with 1 win against a tournament team.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

looks like we only disagree on the prior point as to whether 12 is the razor's edge. so, progress. and on the latter strawman as being germane.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Schedule says ND played Detroit Mercy on Jan. 22. That accurate? I assume it was a scrimmage? Brian Tevlin play and did he put up any points?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:51 am Schedule says ND played Detroit Mercy on Jan. 22. That accurate? I assume it was a scrimmage? Brian Tevlin play and did he put up any points?
yes, just not labeled as a scrimmage. notre dame won't play more than 12 games. not sure if there's a date rule other than # of practices needed, but this past weekend were the 1st games.

edit: looks like he went at least 1 and 1.
https://twitter.com/NDlacrosse/status/1 ... rKYLA&s=19
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 amyes, just not labeled as a scrimmage...
Any info about the scrimmage?
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:09 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 amyes, just not labeled as a scrimmage...
Any info about the scrimmage?
just the tweet above.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:51 am Schedule says ND played Detroit Mercy on Jan. 22. That accurate? I assume it was a scrimmage? Brian Tevlin play and did he put up any points?
yes, just not labeled as a scrimmage. notre dame won't play more than 12 games. not sure if there's a date rule other than # of practices needed, but this past weekend were the 1st games.

Corrigan talked about this on the D Fly and Dixie Podcast. Basically said it is a cost issue and time, as those midweek games cost about 100k, and the staff doesn't see the benefit relative to the cost. Last year it bit them, but most years not
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Downhill Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:30 am ...Basically said it is a cost issue and time, as those midweek games cost about 100k...
$100K. Wow. That's real money. I guess planes cost $...
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Downhill Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:30 am

Corrigan talked about this on the D Fly and Dixie Podcast. Basically said it is a cost issue and time, as those midweek games cost about 100k, and the staff doesn't see the benefit relative to the cost. Last year it bit them, but most years not
he said give me 100k and i'll schedule another game or 2, not really specific. in any event, didn't bite them last year. not beating tournament teams did. on to 2023.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:56 am

he said give me 100k and i'll schedule another game or 2, not really specific. in any event, didn't bite them last year. not beating tournament teams did. on to 2023.
This. Gotta perform.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:56 am

This. Gotta perform.
gotta beat tournament teams. in 2022, anyway. we'll see what it takes in 2023!!!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Same thing it does every year. Beating good teams. They didn’t beat any good teams in 2022.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”