OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Makes the net rock

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Thoughts, ponderings, musings and such

The Liberty Flames had a nice season. They won a good one (15-14 (OT) at Virginia Tech; and gave some other teams a real fight. (OT loss vs Richmond; 1 goal loss to Duke holding the powerhouse [sarcastica font used] to just 8 goals). This team does love the warpaint, something that fascinates me about the sport—the connection with the people who introduced us to the Creator’s game. Any connection there is compelling. A game who knows how many hundreds of years old it is that still has traditions observed all these years later is intriguing. Anyway—nice to see another team in D1 that fights bigger opponents and sometimes pulls the upset. In the game vs Duke, Liberty had the lead until midway through the 3rd period. Goaltending was key as LeRose made 11 saves. Chippy game--11 yellows were handed out.

Parity happens in women’s lacrosse during the regular season more and more. Glad to see it. What's the line from that country song? "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it." Yes indeed.

Photo after OT win at Virginia Tech
OuttaNowhereWregget

Applying the Warpaint

OuttaNowhereWregget

Ready for Battle

OuttaNowhereWregget

Ivy in 2022

Big Green and the rest of the Ancient Eight were back in 2022 after their self imposed one year opt out. Princeton was the best team after all was said and done but they were inconsistent at best. One game they looked like serious contenders for the NCAA title and other games they looked out of synch and ill prepared. Penn and Dartmouth, typically the other big dogs in the Ivy, were greatly diminished. Dartmouth was absolutely dismantled by Stony Brook 20-3 early on to bring that reality home. Yale made a nice run for a while and there were some very competitive games in-league between Brown, Harvard, Cornell and others. Very happy to have the Ivy back. Hopefully they will continue to recover and build back to where they were pre-plague.

pictured #30 Jev Ward
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kayla Martello - BC Breakout Player of the Year

Breakout player of the year for Boston College was sophomore midfielder Kayla Martello. At 5' 8" she qualifies as a "big" in women's lacrosse. She's almost unstoppable when she gets a path to cage. She put away 45 goals and looked poised and confident around the net. Deceptively fast, Martello is aggressive on the ride/redefend as well. Looking forward to seeing the rest of her career with the Eagles. She's sure to add to her output next year. Interesting side note--her dad played lacrosse for Rutgers from 1982-1986.

OuttaNowhereWregget

If I were Sports Czar, I would ban all black alternate uniforms. Also, any throwback uniforms would have to be approved by committee aforetime.
OuttaNowhereWregget

As far as black uniforms go however, Towson's are sharp.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Went to overtime against both Harvard and Princeton on championship weekend. 1993 National Champion Ginny Wahoos.

Wow--roster size
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wolverines huddle at Martin Stadium.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Happy Father’s Day

Happy Father’s Day to all the lacrosse dads who have driven hundreds more likely thousands of miles driving your daughters to and fro. To all the dads who have spent time encouraging their daughters after tough losses, after disappointing moments.

To all fathers—whether you have daughters who play/have played or not—hope you enjoy this day of commemoration and appreciation.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Former #1 Inside Lacrosse 2021 Incoming Goaltender Emily Lamparter transferring to Clemson

Interesting from Lamparter’s bio on the Maryland team website:

“Chose Maryland because of the amazing coaching staff and championship program ... Chose Maryland over Yale and Virginia.”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... stop/58709

She obviously wants to play and there’s no guarantee of that with Sterling playing as well as she has. Also makes sense as she is from Lake Wylie, SC to transfer to Clemson. Good luck Emily!

OuttaNowhereWregget

If I were tweaking the rules:

- I would make it illegal for the defense to advance on a foul between the restraining lines when the ref calls the fouled-against offensive player back to a spot. The way it is now in that scenario, it pays to foul.

- Defense loses a spot on 8 meter if they false start on free position. Another instance where it pays to foul. The player about to shoot maybe gets rattled and the spot gets filled by another defender. Give the advantage to the player about to take the free position shot.

- Oh, and I’d change the long-begging-for-common-sense overtime rule from two three minute halves (which constitutes one overtime period [insert eyeroll emoji]) to one five minute overtime period.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Looking forward to 2023 - Northwestern Wildcats

Izzy Warrior is due to return for the '23 season. The team will look a lot different with more key players moving on to life after college. Izzy and Erin were forming a real chemistry during the '21 season so it will be interesting to see them reunited on the field. They could be quite a duo next year. Lots of younger players will get a chance to step up with Gilbert, Girardi, Dwyer and Palermo gone. I don't see them being a serious threat--either against Maryland or the elite of the NCAA. We'll see how Scane looks. Not everyone comes back from injury and looks the same. Hawryschuk was a perfect example from last year.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Building the South Florida Bulls

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Of all the Father’s Day pictures I saw, I liked this one the best. Us dads don’t always look like Ward Cleaver dressed properly in our suits. Sometimes we just look like rag-taggy dads. And that’s okay.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

BCLax24 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:00 pm As a BC fan, I found it interesting that you think that their upcoming recruiting class is stronger than Maryland’s. If you go by Inside Lacrosse’s rankings, Maryland is bringing in the top recruit (Edmondson), as well as numbers 5,6, and 17. For BC, they’re bringing in numbers 4,7,12, and 18.

I love this incoming class for Boston College, (Ava Besson their top recruit has some of the best stick skills I’ve ever seen, and Shea Dolce looks like an absolute stud in net). But at least according to the IL rankings, which are the only ones I’m aware of, Maryland’s class looks slightly stronger. Either way both classes have crazy potential and are definitely among the top ones in the country along with UNC’s.

As far as which tier 2 team could soon breakout, I’m very high on the team that Stanford is building. Ashley Humphrey was probably the best freshman in the country this year, leading the nation in assists (88). They also have a ton of other young talent around her, with 3 of their top 4 scorers this year being freshmen or sophomores. They lost in the opening round of the tournament this year to Jacksonville, but I think they have the potential to make a serious run in the next couple of years.
Interesting post. Hail and well met, fellow BC fan. Welcome to FanLax.

I would beg to differ with you on Stanford. In spite of the great talent the team has, they lack something, which was strongly evident in the way they didn't show up vs Jacksonville in the first round of the NCAA's. The Cardinal was unprepared and unmotivated it seemed, allowing the game's first 10 goals before they finally realized they were in a game and scored midway through the 2nd period on their way to a 20-8 loss and a long flight back west. I'd like to see Stanford do well and challenge for a national title but something has to change with the team culture/coaching/I don't know in order for that to happen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

2022--The Season in Review: Georgetown

The Georgetown Hoyas finished the season at 9-9. They came as close to getting to The Dance as overtime in the Big East final vs Denver but it went the Pioneers way and the Hoyas went home.

G'Town lost some close games to some decent teams during the regular season like a one goal loss vs Rutgers and a two goal loss vs Denver. But they also had some bad losses like 12-14 at Marquette; 7-10 vs Penn and 7-11 at Towson. They acquitted themselves well in the Big East final after avenging their loss to the Golden Eagles in the semi's. Coach Fried hasn't had a lot of success lately. We'll see what 2023 brings.

Hoyas after Big East semifinal win over Marquette.

https://guhoyas.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule
OuttaNowhereWregget

2022 World Championship - Norway

Interesting to note--this will be Norway's first World Championship.

PROGRAM INFO
Governing Body: Norwegian Federation of American Sports
Founded: 2007 (Norwegian Lacrosse Federation)
Facebook: @TeamNorwayLacrosse
Instagram: @norwegianlacrosse

Lacrosse in Norway: Lacrosse in Norway is organized through the multisport federation NAIF (Norges Amerikanske Idretters Forbund). The sport is recognized by the national governing body for sports in Norway and has its own section within NAIF. There are about 1,000 active players in the association's 16 member clubs. The clubs are largely affiliated with universities and colleges, but there are also independent clubs. Games take place in several cities as weekend tournaments, with qualification for the Norwegian Championship. In addition, there are student championships and smaller tournaments. The association organizes national teams for both men and women, with participation in the European and world championships.

TEAM INFO
World Championship Appearances: 0
Best Finish: N/A
Current Ranking: 26th
Head Coach: Charlotte Støelen

World Championship History: Norway will compete in the Women's World Championship for the first time in 2022. The team is seeded 26th out of 30.

Pool Play Schedule

July 1 vs. Israel
July 2 vs. Netherlands
July 3 vs. Puerto Rico
July 4 vs. Korea

FAN INFO
Team Color: Red, white and dark blue
Team Cheer: 1-2-3 Norge!
Fun Fact: Norway's oil and gas industry powers its economy, but it doesn't power the nation's homes. Around 98 percent of Norway's domestic power usage is drawn from hydroelectric power plants.

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT
Tale Solfjeld

The attacker finished tied for second in the NAIF with fellow Norwegian national teamer Maria Bergum with 47 points (35 goals, 12 assists) in 11 games for unbeaten Oslo, which defeated Christiania 12-10 in the championship game. Solfjeld previously played for GSI Lacrosse in Grimstad but moved to Oslo in 2020. She has been the captain of Norway’s national team since 2019. She led Norway with 18 goals at the 2019 European Championship.

NOTABLE
Maria Bergum also finished with 47 points (39 goals, eight assists) in NAIF play while competing for Christiania, whose only two losses were to undefeated Oslo. … Norway finished in 10th place in the 2019 European Championships, up six spots from its previous best. … Annette Ellingsen was Norway’s second-leading scorer at the 2019 European Championship with eight goals … Kine Ødegård made 28 saves and had a 44 percent save percentage at the 2019 European Championship … Norway’s roster is comprised entirely of native Norwegians, mostly from Oslo.

https://www.womensworldlax2022.com/spor ... ip_preview

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”