Big Ten 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Big Ten 2023

Post by 1766 »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:07 am
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 pm
Duke will end up the biggest loser under any scenario. Coach K’s retirement leaves them vulnerable and heading towards inevitable decline in basketball. No one will replicate his success. That coupled with the fact that their football program is awful means they are destined for mediocrity.
As an old school Maryland fan, I'm good with any scenario where Duke is the biggest loser....
Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Boston College are in a worse position that Duke. I don't think it will matter in the end but at least Duke has an advocate in Unc. Though NC St. might say otherwise.

Pittsburgh, BC and Syracuse seem to offer little that either of the big two would want or need. BC at least has a market out of those three. Pittsburgh's market is already spoken for in the Big Ten, and it's doubtful the SEC would want another outpost like that. Especially in the north.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:10 pm
Duke will end up the biggest loser under any scenario. Coach K’s retirement leaves them vulnerable and heading towards inevitable decline in basketball. No one will replicate his success. That coupled with the fact that their football program is awful means they are destined for mediocrity.
As an old school Maryland fan, I'm good with any scenario where Duke is the biggest loser....
As much as I hate Duke, the Terps had sone great games against them, and it was truly a great rivalry for 20 years. Being at senior night, as Greivis led the Terps to the upset of a top 5 Duke team, is still one of my fondest sports memories. It would ge a shame for Duke to fall into irrelevance.
Coach K wouldn't allow Duke to play Maryland after the Terps left the ACC. I believe that spilled over into every sport. Unless it was the NCAA tournament, Duke wouldn't play Maryland in anything. Sucks to suck, Duke. Enjoy purgatory. Don't expect a helping hand now, and don't expect UNC to throw them a lifeline, either.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:10 pm
As much as I hate Duke, the Terps had sone great games against them, and it was truly a great rivalry for 20 years. Being at senior night, as Greivis led the Terps to the upset of a top 5 Duke team, is still one of my fondest sports memories. It would ge a shame for Duke to fall into irrelevance.
Coach K wouldn't allow Duke to play Maryland after the Terps left the ACC. I believe that spilled over into every sport. Unless it was the NCAA tournament, Duke wouldn't play Maryland in anything. Sucks to suck, Duke. Enjoy purgatory. Don't expect a helping hand now, and don't expect UNC to throw them a lifeline, either.
Yeah - I understand MoralTerp's point, because some of those Duke games were very memorable (usually in a painful way like the 2001 NCAA tournament...) But the way Duke turned its nose up at Maryland after they left the ACC? Exactly...enjoy purgatory.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234683396/

Excellent longform story about Warren, the current commissioner of the big ten whose tenure sounds like an absolute mess. Lacrosse and non revenue sports aren't directly addressed but the decision making process regarding corona fall of 2020 is and you get the impression he is not well liked. It's not paywalled, Ohio State's ad is quoted and there's of course stuff about Phillips now at the ACC.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Great article- thanks for posting. I did not know Fox had such a stake in the network.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

backerzone wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:47 am Great article- thanks for posting. I did not know Fox had such a stake in the network.
If others don't want to read it, the basic summary is he was chosen because he comes from a pro sports background and the university Presidents who oversee the big ten wanted someone who could crush the next tv rights deal and he's had a rough ride as a commissioner both as a manager of his staff and in working w/the schools and public.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/was ... th-big-ten

big ten seems to be looking west aside from notre dame right now which means not initially pointing towards raiding the acc again.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:57 pm https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/was ... th-big-ten

big ten seems to be looking west aside from notre dame right now which means not initially pointing towards raiding the acc again.

1) none of the ACC schools are valuable enough to increase current member schools payout. They would all decrease the amount each school gets by adding them.

2) there is no getting out of the ironclad GOR fiasco. When the B1G took the most valuable school from the ACC, the conference panicked and made horrible decisions.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the action network is back!!!
and the most valuable school and other crazy takes!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:23 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:57 pm https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/was ... th-big-ten

1) none of the ACC schools are valuable enough to increase current member schools payout. They would all decrease the amount each school gets by adding them. I am assuming you do not consider ND an ACC school, but if the B1G held their nose, Clemson might be a net positive.

2) there is no getting out of the ironclad GOR fiasco. When the B1G took the most valuable school from the ACC, the conference panicked and made horrible decisions. I would argue that UMD was not the most valuable ACC 'brand', but its value was the MD/DC, and even NoVA television market.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Yes. The most valuable location of any ACC school and UMD wisely monetized it’s advantage. The ACC has been left in shambles.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

well, at least we moved on to most valuable location. in your opinion. ftr, there are zero maryland fans in northern virginia. i mean, you could call it non-zero but it's about the same. and i'd guess the same for d.c. any re-monetizing of that mid-atlantic-ish area from balto to richmond market for linear teevee would likely carry the same for uva as umd, and maybe/probably more. maybe that's why the b1g was wooing them back then as well?

how about florida? don't they have a market down there for football fans? or that's not valuable?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:54 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:23 am

1) none of the ACC schools are valuable enough to increase current member schools payout. They would all decrease the amount each school gets by adding them. I am assuming you do not consider ND an ACC school, but if the B1G held their nose, Clemson might be a net positive.

2) there is no getting out of the ironclad GOR fiasco. When the B1G took the most valuable school from the ACC, the conference panicked and made horrible decisions. I would argue that UMD was not the most valuable ACC 'brand', but its value was the MD/DC, and even NoVA television market.
Better than when they took Nebraska…Clemson is what it is but it’s MSA is stronger and better prospects than probably 50% or more of the big ten markets today and going forward. Big ten needs to look at migration around this country.

When I lived in DC, between Van Ness and Tenleytown mostly on the corner of Conn & Neb, in the 2000s, I didn’t notice a ton of craze there for UMD. Certainly fans but DC is a transient town. Sure if I went closer to college park but even then it’s not the same. It may be the most popular school in the area, might be though UVA seemed more popular from what I saw, but there’s more ND bars in Atlanta and NYC than UMD or Rutgers. That’s just the facts.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Schedule news for some Big Ten Teams

The LAX-travaganza will be held on February 24th to February 26th at the beautiful Paradise
Coast Sports Complex in Naples Florida.

The Southwest Florida Shootout is hosting a men’s division 1 lacrosse doubleheader [1 ticket
for both games] where Michigan will host Marquette at 3:00pm and Ohio State will host
Virginia at 7:00pm on Saturday, February 25th
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

interested to see what kind of attendance that gets and also if Hopkins goes down to jacksonville to play them this spring. would think it'd be popular w/alumni especially w/spring training going on.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Ohio St played Harvard at the same venue last year and it drew well.

Jacksonville is not really close to too many spring training sites I believe.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UMD brings the big ten show inside the beltway for the huge big ten alumni numbers in DC. Plus UMD has a huge alumni base and one of the biggest research budgets in the country. It’s a big ten natural fit.

Uva and Unc split their media market with larger state schools along with the political problem it brings. Not to mention the iron clad GOR that UMD leaving caused.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:50 pm UMD brings the big ten show inside the beltway for the huge big ten alumni numbers in DC. Plus UMD has a huge alumni base and one of the biggest research budgets in the country. It’s a big ten natural fit.

Uva and Unc split their media market with larger state schools along with the political problem it brings. Not to mention the iron clad GOR that UMD leaving caused.
i'm not sure anyone knows what you're talking about. uva would bring the same "huge number big ten alumni numbers in dc" to buy cable, or sports packages and get b1g get a piece (of everyone, b1g fan or not).

are you talking about going to games?
https://cnsmaryland.org/2019/11/07/ncaa ... e-figures/
did they have fewer than 11k going to games in 2013?

the media deal is for carriage fees in a state they're not in. like virginia or north carolina. which is the piece they take when people pay for entire sports packages (the b1g network gets the largest take next to espn). so having other schools in the state doesn't matter. you just need the providers to carry it in the state, along with x # of other sports channels statewide (likely along the acc network).

and florida's bigger than md and dc metro combined.

are you aware that 90% of the media deal $$ is for 3 games a day on saturdays in the fall? how often do you believe maryland will be one of those 3 games, vs. say a clemson would be?

so question, if the gor is ironclad, why is the "acc in shambles"?

Post by 1766 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:37 am Yes. The most valuable location of any ACC school and UMD wisely monetized it’s advantage. The ACC has been left in shambles.
Facts. Pay out numbers speak for themselves.

The only conference that may be able to keep pace is the SEC. Let's see how they do. Every other conference is very vulnerable to the desires of the B1G and the SEC. The B1G has really positioned itself well geographically. It's the only conference to span the entire country.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UVa is dwarfed by VT in football and number of alumni. The ACC is in shambles due to its ironclad GOR which traps all schools until 2036.

UMD has no competition and that’s why the BiG ten went aggressively after it and even loaned money to pay Acc penalty’s and travel budget. It split the ACC conference in half geographically and left it with second tier schools and North Carolina split 4 ways Virginia split 2 ways. 6 institutions in the only 2 states the ACC has a flagship school.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”