All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:And meanwhile, the western shore of the Chesapeake bay is literally dumping shiite into the nations largest estuary. Our waters remain polluted for un-needed pesticides. New Developments are being built in all the lands of make believe that require HUGH amounts of energy b/c :

1. You need a car to drive anywhere, zero public transportation
2. Idiotic bamboo flooring and other useless LEED certification, yet building codes still allow R values to remain low, not HIGH
3. Zero energy efficiancies required. No renewables required in the infrastructure.

Just google map the developments of Maryland, New Jersey, PA, VA, New York, etc. SUch a joke.

How is the Hoosantonic river cleanup going? exFRIGGINzactly. Pretends.

Well I have been following climate change and not garden variety water pollution. If you ask me why not I am going to be honest and say "I don't care". I don't pretend. If you tell me I should, I am going to say maybe I should but I don't. EDIT: Don't care may be the wrong choice or words.... not as interested is probably fairer, to be honest.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Speaking of the Ches. Bay.....neat little interactive website. https://ecoreportcard.org/report-cards/ ... ay/health/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:And meanwhile, the western shore of the Chesapeake bay is literally dumping shiite into the nations largest estuary. Our waters remain polluted for un-needed pesticides. New Developments are being built in all the lands of make believe that require HUGH amounts of energy b/c :

2. Idiotic bamboo flooring and other useless LEED certification, yet building codes still allow R values to remain low, not HIGH
3. Zero energy efficiancies required. No renewables required in the infrastructure.

Just google map the developments of Maryland, New Jersey, PA, VA, New York, etc. SUch a joke.

Well I have been following climate change and not garden variety water pollution. If you ask me why not I am going to be honest and say "I don't care". I don't pretend. If you tell me I should, I am going to say maybe I should but I don't. EDIT: Don't care may be the wrong choice or words.... not as interested is probably fairer, to be honest.
Bout sums it up. Does your interest in "fantasy" apply to all aspects of life? It's really not a shock that people like you don't care about clean water, soil, air, etc. Just a fake, pretend issue
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

Bout sums it up. Does your interest in "fantasy" apply to all aspects of life? It's really not a shock that people like you don't care about clean water, soil, air, etc. Just a fake, pretend issue
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:

I do my share to not pollute and don't want people polluting but I don't follow the topic as closely as it has been an ongoing issue for years and it seems that there isn't any argument regarding pollution unless you believe pollution is a hoax or is there a large segment of people that believe pollution is a hoax......I am interested in the science behind climate change. Is there an argument about science behind water and air pollution? My guess is that those papers are dated.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

the reason you should care about pollution is that there is actually something we can do about it!!

we have made pretty good inroads since the 70's but we have a long way to go. and you want to know why we aren't hearing more about it? ... I'll give you three guesses......

because no one is making money off of not polluting. There aren't any GE turbines, or solar panels, etc... to be sold. Instead we would have to stop paving estuaries and quit spraying pesticides on lawns and coastal farms, and actually clean up the water industry takes out of our rivers and then dumps back in after meeting some bs standard......

It is just not that hard - but no one cares or pays attention because ---- oooh look there's al gore and his global warming money machine...!
AlGore.jpg
AlGore.jpg (209.73 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote:the reason you should care about pollution is that there is actually something we can do about it!!

we have made pretty good inroads since the 70's but we have a long way to go. and you want to know why we aren't hearing more about it? ... I'll give you three guesses......

because no one is making money off of not polluting. There aren't any GE turbines, or solar panels, etc... to be sold. Instead we would have to stop paving estuaries and quit spraying pesticides on lawns and coastal farms, and actually clean up the water industry takes out of our rivers and then dumps back in after meeting some bs standard......

It is just not that hard - but no one cares or pays attention because ---- oooh look there's al gore and his global warming money machine...!
AlGore.jpg
Re-read my posts. It is not a topic I am following like climate change. Not that I don't care if people pollute. I am not reading articles on pollution as it is ground that has been well covered. I have not run across many pollution deniers or many arguing the science of pollution.......

EDIT: I may have spoken to soon!
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

wow :shock:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote:wow :shock:

Wow is right......2018. What a crazy time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Good news for Philip Morris and the tobacco boys, might see Luckies and Tareytons make a comeback. Little tar in the lungs is probably good too...puts a little hair on your chest.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sounds like a reason to pick up smoking cigs...the world is going to hell in a hand basket, might as well succumb to the inevitable. cya1 salut1 ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote:Good news for Philip Morris and the tobacco boys, might see Luckies and Tareytons make a comeback. Little tar in the lungs is probably good too...puts a little hair on your chest.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

https://e360.yale.edu/features/why-nucl ... ts-climate

In the United States in 2016, nuclear power plants, which generated almost 20 percent of U.S. electricity, had an average capacity factor of 92.3 percent, meaning they operated at full power on 336 out of 365 days per year. (The other 29 days they were taken off the grid for maintenance.) In contrast, U.S. hydroelectric systems delivered power 38.2 percent of the time (138 days per year), wind turbines 34.5 percent of the time (127 days per year) and solar electricity arrays only 25.1 percent of the time (92 days per year). Even plants powered with coal or natural gas only generate electricity about half the time for reasons such as fuel costs and seasonal and nocturnal variations in demand. Nuclear is a clear winner on reliability.

The US government owns NUKE powered boats. Why not own 100 shinny new power plants. Problem of pretend solved. Does tommy Steyer own any concrete trucks? or, just suicidal tendancies slave children produced solar panels. Oh , wait, those grow on trees in Nepal and Nebraska.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:https://e360.yale.edu/features/why-nucl ... ts-climate

In the United States in 2016, nuclear power plants, which generated almost 20 percent of U.S. electricity, had an average capacity factor of 92.3 percent, meaning they operated at full power on 336 out of 365 days per year. (The other 29 days they were taken off the grid for maintenance.) In contrast, U.S. hydroelectric systems delivered power 38.2 percent of the time (138 days per year), wind turbines 34.5 percent of the time (127 days per year) and solar electricity arrays only 25.1 percent of the time (92 days per year). Even plants powered with coal or natural gas only generate electricity about half the time for reasons such as fuel costs and seasonal and nocturnal variations in demand. Nuclear is a clear winner on reliability.

The US government owns NUKE powered boats. Why not own 100 shinny new power plants. Problem of pretend solved. Does tommy Steyer own any concrete trucks? or, just suicidal tendancies slave children produced solar panels. Oh , wait, those grow on trees in Nepal and Nebraska.
That’s a good question. I don’t have a problem with nuclear energy....but it has to be completely safe or in the absolute middle of no where. I saw a couple of programs on Chernobyl. A half infant half fish type thing in a jar was enough for me to be scared.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

That’s a good question. I don’t have a problem with nuclear energy....but it has to be completely safe or in the absolute middle of no where. I saw a couple of programs on Chernobyl. A half infant half fish type thing in a jar was enough for me to be scared.
Guess you've never been to the museum of oddities at Walter Reed in DC? What made the cyclops baby? All kinds of scary stuff. Worth the visit. Good food in the area too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cyclops ... HpmJUTukMM:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

A buddy of mine from college has been the chief engineer at a couple of nuc plants. His thoughts -

1. The two episodes - Fukushima (2011) and Chernobyl (1986) would be way less likely today. Plants are constructed in a way that is much safer.

2. Storage of used fuel should be done as close to the plant as possible. This can be done safely and cheaply.

3. His mix of energy sources -

a. save fossil fuels for cars, along with batteries.
b. nuclear - 40%
c. gas - 40%
d. alternatives - 20%
f. save coal for a "better use"....once its been discovered.

He is and has been a staunch conservative.....he believes in the science supporting climate change and rising sea levels.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

The amazing thing about navigating the Chessy is the lack of rocks. For such a large body of water, very few hazards. Quite different than New England waters.

The bouncy bogs of mud and shells don't provide a stable land structure. Well documented in William Cronins book: Disappearing Islands of the Chesapeake bay.

An island on a local river, when water fowling, was a nice set up 20 years ago. The 10 x 10 island is now 30' x 100', because of sediment, tree trunk dams, etc. Why is the Connecticutt river valley so rich with top soil? thousands of years of erosion, perhaps?

Of course, NO one denies climate change. Just like gravity.

Funny, how "sea level rising" isn't effecting Crissfield, or even Smith Island just a little north. .
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:The amazing thing about navigating the Chessy is the lack of rocks. For such a large body of water, very few hazards. Quite different than New England waters.

The bouncy bogs of mud and shells don't provide a stable land structure. Well documented in William Cronins book: Disappearing Islands of the Chesapeake bay.

An island on a local river, when water fowling, was a nice set up 20 years ago. The 10 x 10 island is now 30' x 100', because of sediment, tree trunk dams, etc. Why is the Connecticutt river valley so rich with top soil? thousands of years of erosion, perhaps?

Funny, how "sea level rising" isn't effecting Crissfield, or even Smith Island just a little north. .
Probably can’t get their lies straight.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

runrussellrun wrote:The amazing thing about navigating the Chessy is the lack of rocks. For such a large body of water, very few hazards. Quite different than New England waters.

More than one Chessie Bay island is "sinking"

"The Chesapeake Bay has already lost 13 islands to rising waters. Sea levels in the bay rose a foot in the last century. "

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... o-stop-it/

Return to “POLITICS”