Post by Wheels »

Bold is played out.

Italicized is where it's at. Newbies.
MDGrad2012

Re: Virginia v Maryland

Post by MDGrad2012 »

Wheels wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:51 pm
CU77 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:47 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 pm weren't there a couple of rematches in the first round, something the committee is supposed to avoid?
The committee does not try to avoid re-matches other than within a conference (and never has).

Also, the ACC does not count as a conference for this purpose; there have been first-round ACC v ACC match-ups in the past.
I stand corrected.

So flipping, say Richmond and UVA wouldn't' have been a hard solution. Or Ohio State and UVA.
Flipping OSU and UVA would be hard because Cornell is the only seed that isn't a flight for OSU. The solution would have to involve flipping Brown and Cornell as well, which they're not technically supposed to do since travel isn't supposed to play a factor in seeds, only in where the unseeded teams go.

Also, literally everyone (MD fans, UVA fans, casual fans, coaches, and players) had the same thought when we saw the bracket. Even if UVA deserved to be unseeded and it made sense from a travel perspective (I believe both those things to be true), it is a wild quarterfinal matchup from a talent and history perspective. Yeah, Tillman let the mask slip for half a second. He is a human being and that is a perfectly human reaction!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 pm weren't there a couple of rematches in the first round, something the committee is supposed to avoid?
The committee does not try to avoid re-matches other than within a conference (and never has).

Also, the ACC does not count as a conference for this purpose; there have been first-round ACC v ACC match-ups in the past.
how far back 2 accs in first round? i don't remember that. 12 team tourney?
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:01 pm

2011 Maryland against 8 seed UNC.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

I stand corrected.

So flipping, say Richmond and UVA wouldn't' have been a hard solution. Or Ohio State and UVA.
Someone mentioned in a different thread that “seeds” 9-14 can be moved around for travel or matchup purposes. Interestingly, it appears that the committee seemed to rank order them in the matchups this year. If you “seed” these teams by who they played you get:
9. Virginia
10. OSU
11. Harvard
12. BU
13. St. Joe’s
14. Richmond

This is pretty close to how they would be ranked by RPI/SOS/QWF. It is certainly in tune with Donna’s explanation of how the final 4 at larges were selected.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:05 pm

I stand corrected.

Someone mentioned in a different thread that “seeds” 9-14 can be moved around for travel or matchup purposes. Interestingly, it appears that the committee seemed to rank order them in the matchups this year. If you “seed” these teams by who they played you get:
9. Virginia
10. OSU
11. Harvard
12. BU
13. St. Joe’s
14. Richmond

This is pretty close to how they would be ranked by RPI/SOS/QWF. It is certainly in tune with Donna’s explanation of how the final 4 at larges were selected.
do you have the may 7 rpi/sos/qwf rankings?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:01 pm

2011: UMd (then ACC) at #8 UNC; 16 team tournament

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA ... ampionship
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:13 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:05 pm

I stand corrected.

9. Virginia
10. OSU
11. Harvard
12. BU
13. St. Joe’s
14. Richmond

do you have the may 7 rpi/sos/qwf rankings?
I do not, and was actually trying to find archives on laxnumbers’ site - no luck. But I do recall from the pre-tournament selection odds that the teams were roughly in that order.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:56 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:48 pm
“"Obviously, second year in a row we're playing an ACC team in a Quarterfinal,” Maryland head coach John Tillman said after the Terps’ 21-5 win against Vermont. “So scratch my head a little bit about that, but it is what it is”

This is a “the world revolves around me quote”. On the other hand you could say “why do I have to play Maryland in the second round? Because I am an ACC school?”.

Get over it Tillman and get over yourself.

Get over myself? Eh?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
nms

Post by nms »

MDGrad2012 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:00 pm

I stand corrected.

Flipping OSU and UVA would be hard because Cornell is the only seed that isn't a flight for OSU. The solution would have to involve flipping Brown and Cornell as well, which they're not technically supposed to do since travel isn't supposed to play a factor in seeds, only in where the unseeded teams go.

Also, literally everyone (MD fans, UVA fans, casual fans, coaches, and players) had the same thought when we saw the bracket. Even if UVA deserved to be unseeded and it made sense from a travel perspective (I believe both those things to be true), it is a wild quarterfinal matchup from a talent and history perspective. Yeah, Tillman let the mask slip for half a second. He is a human being and that is a perfectly human reaction!
I never hear about limiting the number of flights for the NCAA basketball tournament.
If Lacrosse wants to be considered a nationwide sport, isn't it time for this silly rule to go?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I stand corrected.

OSU flew to Cornell. The rule is under 400 miles, no flight. OSU to Ithaca is 466 miles. And Vice Versa, so Cornell could fly to Columbus this weekend. I don't know the Big Red's travel plans.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I just thought we should recognize that Loyola would have feasted on every team remaining in this tournament and for that you are all quite fortunate.

I solemnly swear that the information I have given in this post is correct and complete.

( :shock: )
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:11 am I just thought we should recognize that Loyola would have feasted on every team remaining in this tournament and for that you are all quite fortunate.

I solemnly swear that the information I have given in this post is correct and complete.

Last year’s Loyola, for sure :lol:
groundballs44

Post by groundballs44 »

I stand corrected.

Agreed that from a talent and history perspective, it is a very intriguing quarterfinal matchup. My commentary is more so contesting the idea that UVA got "screwed" and shouldn't be in this position. Important to make the distinction between the history between these two teams and their actual on field performance this year. Once again, this was an 11 goal game just 2 months ago....
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:11 am I just thought we should recognize that Loyola would have feasted on every team remaining in this tournament and for that you are all quite fortunate.

Last year’s Loyola, for sure :lol:

The reason your reply hurts more than normal is we brought everyone back this year.

😢
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

groundballs44 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:13 am

I stand corrected.

Agreed that from a talent and history perspective, it is a very intriguing quarterfinal matchup. My commentary is more so contesting the idea that UVA got "screwed" and shouldn't be in this position. Important to make the distinction between the history between these two teams and their actual on field performance this year. Once again, this was an 11 goal game just 2 months ago....
not a bad take, but it's been coming from both sides and from the casual or non-partisan fans as well, as mdgrad says. perception, maybe. & as alluded to from mike hart, the biggest kink after seeds were set is md could be going to columbus to play tosu if osu and uva were swapped. which would've been a no no for a #1.

if they were avoiding that, either the seeds would need to be different, or uva would've had to travel to penn, cornell or rutgers. as a hoos fan, i'll take the w over brown and move on. i rarely if ever have a big problem with seeds. you have to win 4.

if the mindset was different on seeding, you could've had cornell at a 6, uva or brown at a 7 and rutgers at 8. so either you're potentially sending md to columbus against tosu, or you'd get howls for having 2 seeded b1gs facing off in quarters, or uva is playing a game against a different opponent. who won or won convincingly.

to me it looks like the committee put a lot more weight on avoiding the 1st two than any perceived wanted outcome by the peanut gallery and some stakeholders.

maryland will have had only 1 ivy game if they reach the ff, and that ivy acquitted itself ok. they may get 2 more there if they're a winner sunday.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Think Quint said it's Cotter & Boyle in the booth👍🏻
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:43 pm Lars interview

https://youtu.be/VZpb336YSw8?t=303
Lars sounds about as loose as you can be given the circumstances. He understands the monumental task at hand, shows the right amount of deference to an all time team, and is ready to see how it plays out.

Also refreshing that he chooses not to force the underdog narrative that others might have in the same spot ;)
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

BigTom5 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:13 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:43 pm Lars interview

https://youtu.be/VZpb336YSw8?t=303
Lars sounds about as loose as you can be given the circumstances. He understands the monumental task at hand, shows the right amount of deference to an all time team, and is ready to see how it plays out.

Also refreshing that he chooses not to force the underdog narrative that others might have in the same spot ;)
So many of these teams have the players - what really sets UMD and UVA apart (along with some others) is lars and Tillman's ability to get a bunch of 19-21 yr olds to keep their heads straight and just play.

I hope this game is as good as I think it could be. If not ... I think they will be scraping UVA off the horseshoe turf this time....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”