StM
10%
StP
7%

Total votes: 103

harcooldie

Re: MIAA A Conference

Post by harcooldie »

Anyone see the JC/Curley game? Low scoring affair.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Saw it. Was a typical early season game. Some good lax, but some ugly too.

JC jumped out 4-0 early. JC looked strong out of the gate and it looked to be lopsided. Curley started to possess and was content to shorten the game. Curley was athletic on defense but didn’t have a lot of threats on offense. JC’s goalie had a lot of saves.
Juslaxin16

Post by Juslaxin16 »

4-0 then JC only had one goal after that? Did they play with a shot clock? If so wouldn’t JC get the ball if Curley kept milking the clock? clearly the score doesn’t reflect that a lot of goals were scored. I didn’t see the game so I’m just trying to understand the logic behind curley milking the clock since the shot clock is supposed to stop teams from milking the clock. To only score 5 goals total against a B team is a little alarming for JC in my opinion.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Juslaxin16 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:50 pm 4-0 then JC only had one goal after that? Did they play with a shot clock? If so wouldn’t JC get the ball if Curley kept milking the clock? clearly the score doesn’t reflect that a lot of goals were scored. I didn’t see the game so I’m just trying to understand the logic behind curley milking the clock since the shot clock is supposed to stop teams from milking the clock. To only score 5 goals total against a B team is a little alarming for JC in my opinion.
Not sure the B conference is using the shot clock this year. So that may reflect the score.
harcooldie

Post by harcooldie »

It's my understanding the B is playing 2019 NCAA rules with 2018 timing/clearing/stalling rules. So in the B, dive is legal, no shot clock and refs determine when the 30sec. shot clock is applied. However, if a B plays an A, all 2019 NCAA rules are in play. So there should've been a shot clock. This speaks to a different issue with lacrosse. At the high school level, there are 3 different sets of rules (NCAA, Modified NCAA and NHFS). Crazy.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

JC is in my back yard so I usually stop by if the lights are on. This one was a weird game to watch. 80 second Shot clock was used. There were plenty of shots. Just not good ones. It was a poor shooting day by both sides. As I said, JC jumped out early, but they missed at least a dozen open looks after that. Wide open with the goalie and then didnt even hit cage. Curley did a good job of possessing when they got the ball. There were multiple times that Curley got a shot off at the end of the clock, JC’s goalie made a save, but didn’t hold the rebound and Curley got the reset. It was an odd game. But both teams seemed to play hard though.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Thu
Malvern Prep @ CH
River Hill @ MSJ
St Paul's @ St. Andrews
Northern-Calvert @ John Carroll
Winners highlighted.
Good win for CH and nice for MSJ to get their first win on the board too.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Fri
Spalding @ Delmar - cancelled
Appoquinimink (DE) @ StM
Loyola @ Canterbury - cancelled
Severn @ Norfolk Academy
Winners highlighted.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Anyone know if the BL Culver game is going to be streamed?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Culver 10 BL 3 (Final)
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I watched the second half on the BL locallivetv link. Culver was firmly in charge, but it sounds like BL might have been missing a few key players.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Back to conference play this week. Looking at the OOC play and looking at common opponents is there every one that can knock of Calvert Hall? Or will they just go undefeated all the way to the ship?
Juslaxin16

Post by Juslaxin16 »

I like McD this year I’d like to see a McD V BL ship but Hall could trump BL either way this is the Eagles year!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:44 pm I watched the second half on the BL locallivetv link. Culver was firmly in charge, but it sounds like BL might have been missing a few key players.
That's true. It's also true that missing a few key players is just an excuse to gloss over how thin a squad is. It's been 5 short years since BL's best team ever (and certainly one of the best HS lax teams ever assembled, so good that there was no room for Pat Spencer - said half in jest btw, because I think had Coach Shriver benched any one of Chell, Stanwick, or Shewell, Spencer would have done great). BL has been good since, just not great. That is the case this year as well; good, not great, and suspect at the most important HS position, FOGO.

I'd expect a thorough thrashing by Brunswick of CT over BL tomorrow night. The MIAA still gets every other team's best shot, and when any one of these teams sense weakness in a MIAA squad, they'll absolutely pour it on if they can. Brunswick is as good a team that BL will see this year (zero weaknesses, deep bench, animated), with a FOGO who will win literally every single FO against BL. BL's best option is simply to try their best to slow the game down; they will not win.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 am It's been 5 short years since BL's best team ever
It's been 22 years since BL's best team ever though.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 am
ctbagataway wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:44 pm I watched the second half on the BL locallivetv link. Culver was firmly in charge, but it sounds like BL might have been missing a few key players.
That's true. It's also true that missing a few key players is just an excuse to gloss over how thin a squad is. It's been 5 short years since BL's best team ever (and certainly one of the best HS lax teams ever assembled, so good that there was no room for Pat Spencer - said half in jest btw, because I think had Coach Shriver benched any one of Chell, Stanwick, or Shewell, Spencer would have done great). BL has been good since, just not great. That is the case this year as well; good, not great, and suspect at the most important HS position, FOGO.

I'd expect a thorough thrashing by Brunswick of CT over BL tomorrow night. The MIAA still gets every other team's best shot, and when any one of these teams sense weakness in a MIAA squad, they'll absolutely pour it on if they can. Brunswick is as good a team that BL will see this year (zero weaknesses, deep bench, animated), with a FOGO who will win literally every single FO against BL. BL's best option is simply to try their best to slow the game down; they will not win.
Wow, pretty confident assessment. Brunswick is a great team but lost a ton to graduation. Having only played 1 game, I don't think anyone really can know how good they will be this year. They certainly are capable of beating BL and I think probably will but nobody is going to lay a "thorough thrashing" on either of these teams.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Spalding 13 Good Counsel 9 (Final)
CH 14 Loyola Academy (Ill) 2 (Final)
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Week's schedule. Home teams first, unless noted.

Monday:
Loyola Blakefield vs Towson
McDonogh vs Culver Academy (IN)
John Carroll vs Marriotts Ridge

Tue:
Severn vs Friends
Hereford vs Gilman
Westminster vs Mount St. Joseph
Brunswick (CT) vs Boys' Latin (@U Penn)

Fri:
Loyola Blakefield vs John Carroll
Mount St. Joseph vs Gilman
McDonogh vs St. Paul's
St. Mary's vs Archbishop Spalding
Calvert Hall vs Boys' Latin

Sat:
Catonsville vs Mount St. Joseph
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

thatsmell wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:29 am
Fri:
Loyola Blakefield vs John Carroll
Mount St. Joseph vs Gilman
McDonogh vs St. Paul's
St. Mary's vs Archbishop Spalding
Calvert Hall vs Boys' Latin

Sat:
Catonsville vs Mount St. Joseph
Gilman plays Severn on Friday.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Loyola with a tough Towson team today. Expect a game from the Generals, but LB should pull away in the second half.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”