@inthe8m

Re: Tiers in addition to Polls

Post by @inthe8m »

tier 1: unc
tier 2: <Don't flaunt that the candy is good, Unless you came with plenty ...>
tier 3: bc, nw, sb, jmu, cuse, mary, loyola
tier 4: uf, denver
tier 5: middlebury, gettysburg, duke, salisbury, tcnj, spsg, prince, glenelg
Last edited by @inthe8m on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:37 pm tier 1: unc
tier 5: middlebury, duke, f&m, salisbury, tcnj, spsg, prince, glenelg
No Gettysburg after yesterday?
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:44 pm
tier 5: middlebury, duke, f&m, salisbury, tcnj, spsg, prince, glenelg
No Gettysburg after yesterday?
All apologies to the bullets of gettysburg (hmm interesting, I really had not given much thought to the history/relationship with the "mascot" name) as my editor missed that. Corrections have been made and the editor now has a sternly worded letter of reprimand in his HR file.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

tier 5: middlebury, gettysburg, duke, salisbury, tcnj, spsg, prince, glenelg
Duke in tier 5, LOL--I love it. Well placed.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Updated Tiers 4/24

Tier 1 - Carolina, Maryland

Tier 2 - Boston College, Stony Brook, Florida,

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Denver, JMU, Loyola, Northwestern

Tier 4 - UMass, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Duke, UConn, Princeton

Tier 5 - The rest
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Laughed at your tier 1. MD has played one ACC team Virginia who will not make the NCAA tournament and beat them by 4. Big deal. Also only beat Penn by 4 who will not even make Ivy Tournament. What in the world makes you think they are better than BC? I think UNC and BC beat MD by 5 or more. Nobody can be in Tier 1 until battle tested against ACC teams. Look what happened to NW last year in final four. Think Cuse even with their injuries is better than MD. MD beat NW by 6 but they were out shot and lost the draw battle. Hot goalie appears to have been the difference. Let's not forget that UNC and BC had NW by running clock. To put MD in tier 1 is silly. To put them in that tier above over ACC teams like BC is laughable. Have to earn that status by playing ACC teams.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:38 pm Laughed at your tier 1. MD has played one ACC team Virginia who will not make the NCAA tournament and beat them by 4. Big deal. Also only beat Penn by 4 who will not even make Ivy Tournament. What in the world makes you think they are better than BC? I think UNC and BC beat MD by 5 or more. Nobody can be in Tier 1 until battle tested against ACC teams. Look what happened to NW last year in final four. Think Cuse even with their injuries is better than MD. MD beat NW by 6 but they were out shot and lost the draw battle. Hot goalie appears to have been the difference. Let's not forget that UNC and BC had NW by running clock. To put MD in tier 1 is silly. To put them in that tier above over ACC teams like BC is laughable. Have to earn that status by playing ACC teams.
You make some good points. However, my rationale on Maryland at this stage is that they keep passing tests as they come along, and they do it more convincingly each time. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Now, I'm no Terpster as anyone who frequents these boards will tell you. But I also choose to be fair and give credit where it's due on occasion. And Maryland has been playing better and better as the season has progressed. I've been "hate watching" them whenever I get the chance. But they keep impressing.

To some of your points--the Terps played Virginia way early in the season. Irrelevant at this point. We all know Ginny is Ginny. Same every year. No biggie beating them. But they took care of business. JMU seems like an eon ago with the way they've been playing lately. They went into 1952 and dragged the Tigers on their own field to a running clock. They were like a machine against NU.

They don't make mistakes. When they get the lead, they keep it, etc. So, until they stop doing those things I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Are they as talented as some of the other teams? Probably not. But they're smarter and sounder fundamentally. Should Syracuse beat them? Of course--but that's on paper. Get them out on the field in a close game late--who do you think starts making the mistakes that lose the game? Not Maryland. They're beating all comers every week except for the one blip vs JMU. Why over BC? Because they've been struggling mightily in goal as of late. To quote seacoaster--Sterling is sterling. That's a big advantage to have. Just ask the BC class of '19 how they feel about that statement.

Anyway--those are my tiers. I like tiers because they're fluid and I can change them on a whim for any reason according to how I see out my windows. Post yours and we'll compare and contrast.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:38 pm Laughed at your tier 1. MD has played one ACC team Virginia who will not make the NCAA tournament and beat them by 4. Big deal. Also only beat Penn by 4 who will not even make Ivy Tournament. What in the world makes you think they are better than BC? I think UNC and BC beat MD by 5 or more. Nobody can be in Tier 1 until battle tested against ACC teams. Look what happened to NW last year in final four. Think Cuse even with their injuries is better than MD. MD beat NW by 6 but they were out shot and lost the draw battle. Hot goalie appears to have been the difference. Let's not forget that UNC and BC had NW by running clock. To put MD in tier 1 is silly. To put them in that tier above over ACC teams like BC is laughable. Have to earn that status by playing ACC teams.
I like this.

It’s good to keep UMD humble and seething. They need bulletin board material to reach the pinnacle.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Terps history vs BC

12-1
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:38 pm MD beat NW by 6 but they were out shot and lost the draw battle. Hot goalie appears to have been the difference.
The shot total was deceptive. NU used minimal effort and creativity on a lot of them. High to high, barely made Sterling move. Who cares what the shot total was. When they did make more quality shots, Sterling was there most of the time with the big save. Sterling is a big part of why Maryland is in my 1st tier. To refer to her as "hot" is to ignore how she's played all year. Some teams you have to gameplan for their big guns. Part of the gameplan when playing Maryland this year is becoming "How do we beat Sterling?"
Lax101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:38 pm Let's not forget that UNC and BC had NW by running clock.
Also meaningless. They had NU by running clock. They haven't played Maryland yet. Maybe they do the same to the Terps, but until I know for sure, they're in my tier 1.
Lax101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:38 pm To put MD in tier 1 is silly. To put them in that tier above over ACC teams like BC is laughable. Have to earn that status by playing ACC teams.
Sez you.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I don't know what's happening to me. I'm writing and writing to defend Maryland!

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Thank you for the novel -: ) but until they beat a Top 3 ACC team they can absolutely NOT be one of only 2 Tier 1 teams. Definitely have final four potential but at this point can not put them above BC (even with a struggling goalie).
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:05 pm
You make some good points. However, my rationale on Maryland at this stage is that they keep passing tests as they come along, and they do it more convincingly each time. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Now, I'm no Terpster as anyone who frequents these boards will tell you. But I also choose to be fair and give credit where it's due on occasion. And Maryland has been playing better and better as the season has progressed. I've been "hate watching" them whenever I get the chance. But they keep impressing.
Finally relaying your true colors for anyone and everyone that was under the false impression that you view things from an objective, fair point of view.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Maryland is my #3 right now. That may be too high, but I think they lose to BC in a close game but to UNC by a lot
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:04 pm Thank you for the novel -: ) but until they beat a Top 3 ACC team they can absolutely NOT be one of only 2 Tier 1 teams. Definitely have final four potential but at this point can not put them above BC (even with a struggling goalie).
I can put them anywhere I like in my tiers. Post yours and we'll discuss. Come on down out of the peanut gallery. Take a chance. Live a little.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:20 pm Finally *relaying your true colors for anyone and everyone that was under the false impression that you view things from an objective, fair point of view.
Are you always this prosecutorial?

Take a deep breath, laxer12. C'mon, together with me now--slow easy deep....and exhale. Feel better? Life's too short to get so worked up over a game. And especially to get worked up over me and my high-school-educated-blue-collar-scrub opinions.

*displaying 😉

Plus you missed the big one from the other day.

viewtopic.php?p=359864#p359864

I felt liberated after Seacoaster(1) divulged that he roots against NU or something along those lines. Rooting against certain teams is all part of sports. It's really no big deal. Been going on since Yale first played Harvard back in the early umpteen hundreds.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:38 pm
laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:20 pm Finally *relaying your true colors for anyone and everyone that was under the false impression that you view things from an objective, fair point of view.

Take a deep breath, laxer12. C'mon, together with me now--slow easy deep....and exhale. Feel better? Life's too short to get so worked up over a game. And especially to get worked up over me and my high-school-educated-blue-collar-scrub opinions.

*displaying 😉

I felt liberated after Seacoaster(1) divulged that he roots against NU or something along those lines. Rooting against certain teams is all part of sports. It's really no big deal. Been going on since Yale first played Harvard back in the early umpteen hundreds.
Haha nah, I'm perfectly fine and calm. I just couldn't resist the opportunity of calling you out where you plainly admit that most of what you post is based on personal feelings and not based on facts or evidence whatsoever.

And no, relaying works just fine in that sentence as well but nice try 😂

I get not liking Maryland because they've been so unbelievably successful and dominant for seemingly forever. Winning national title after national title and several seasons with just the 1 or 2 blemishes. Not to mention a good majority of their fans are extremely insufferable but that normally comes with the territory when a program has been as consistently successful as Maryland has. Everyone loves to root against the alpha who's already on top of the mountain.

But where did your disdain for Syracuse come from? I'm honestly curious.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:34 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:38 pm

*displaying 😉

Haha nah, I'm perfectly fine and calm. I just couldn't resist the opportunity of calling you out where you plainly admit that most of what you post is based on personal feelings and not based on facts or evidence whatsoever.

And no, relaying works just fine in that sentence as well but nice try 😂

I get not liking Maryland because they've been so unbelievably successful and dominant for seemingly forever. Winning national title after national title and several seasons with just the 1 or 2 blemishes. Not to mention a good majority of their fans are extremely insufferable but that normally comes with the territory when a program has been as consistently successful as Maryland has. Everyone loves to root against the alpha who's already on top of the mountain.

But where did your disdain for Syracuse come from? I'm honestly curious.
"Relaying" denotes receiving then passing along, so no, it doesn't work in the way you used it. Relating works better.

"...plainly admit that most of what you post is based on personal feelings and not based on facts or evidence whatsoever." ??

After this brilliant (read: wresting [the archaic definition]) summation, why would I bother to engage with you further? I'm honestly curious.

Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Tier 1: UNC
Tier 2: …….

Tier 2.5: Loyola, Maryland, Syracuse, Denver, BC
Tier 3: SBU, NU, Duke, Florida
Tier 4: JMU, Jax, Princeton
Tier 5: Rutgers, Virginia, UMass, UConn, ND
Tier 6: Stanford, USC, Ariz. St
Kleizaster

Re: Updated Tiers 4/24

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:13 pm Tier 1 - Carolina, Maryland

Tier 2 - Boston College, Stony Brook, Florida,

Tier 3 - Syracuse, Denver, JMU, Loyola, Northwestern

Tier 4 - UMass, Stanford, USC, Jacksonville, Arizona St, Duke, UConn, Princeton

Tier 5 - The rest
another troll post. Not long ago i can recall you made another post questioning if UNC even belonged in tier 1. But sure lets ignore all that for the sake of it and discuss this specific post. You putting maryland in tier 1 assumes that
A. They are better than UNC
B. They are equal to UNC.
is A true? no. lets move to B. are they equal to UNC? there isn't a single win on maryland's schedule better than UNC's best wins. UNC has passed the eye test. UNC is significantly deeper. UNC played a significantly better schedule. so based on all those facts, if A or B are not true, then Maryland cannot be put in the same tier as UNC. does that make sense? now try again for a better tier list. you can do it. i'll give you hint. UNC should be alone in 1.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”