Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
tothedraw

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by tothedraw »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:15 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:36 pm BC only has one impact player.
How do you define “impact player”?
The cherry picking of comments needs to stop- context matters.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:49 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:15 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:36 pm BC only has one impact player.
How do you define “impact player”?
The cherry picking of comments needs to stop- context matters.
Doesn't matter to me who answers the question or in what context it's found. How would you define "impact player"?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

The original question was how many "impact players" from MD are on BC/UNC roster and the detraction from MD roster.

My definition of impact player means nothing, but give me Belle Smith over CN any day- since you asked
njbill

Post by njbill »

@inthe8m wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:38 pm MD's biggest issue is that Reese is behind the times on recruiting (she is not the only coach behind the times) - there is talent to be had throughout the nation and she has stuck to the outdated model of recruiting kids from NY, MD, NJ, and PA. Nearly every girl who commits to MD gets put on the Top 100 list just because they commit to MD. I am not sure any other school has had as many supposedly Top 50 recruits who have not panned out. It is not an accident that MD's best player is a transfer.
This is a bit harsh in at least one respect, but not entirely off the mark.

For many years, Reese was the beneficiary of the best scouting system in the country. Her HS coach, Chris Robinson, coached the top HS team in the country in one of the very top conferences in the country. Plus, he ran one of the top clubs in the country. And, oh yeah, he’s a tip top judge of talent. Not a bad person to whisper in your ear about recruits. But this is now the fifth year Robinson has been gone from McDonogh and the IAAM, though he still runs M&D. One would think his ear is not quite as close to the ground as it had been in the past in terms of Maryland HS talent. Just my guess.

Of course, Reese still has her husband to “scout” local MD talent. He has coached in the IAAM for a number of years now and recently moved from Glenelg Country to Maryvale.

Another benefit Reese has, which no other college coach has, is that Maryland kids grow up wanting to play for Maryland. When decision day comes, that’s an advantage.

You may be right that she doesn’t beat the bushes in the hinterlands as perhaps some coaches do now. I don’t know. Surely it is more difficult to find, and evaluate, girls who play their HS ball at Helena High. I mention Montana because I was talking to a girl from there at the UA a couple of years ago. I thought she said Montana had NO high school teams. Just checked. They have a few, but not many.

Reese has had an incredible run of (mostly MD) talent during her tenure. McFadden, Johnson, Schwarzmann, Whittle, Cummings, Stukenberg, Steele, Colson, Taylor, Mercer, Giles, Douty (had to throw in a Jersey girl 😊) to name a few off the top of my head (I’m certainly missing many). Can you reasonably expect that to continue uninterrupted year after year? Probably not.

The Covid 5th year and the increasing advent of free agency (I mean the transfer portal) has also changed the landscape. Some coaches have played those games better than others. Will the portal continue to be as significant a factor after the fifth year era is over? Not sure.

In sum, I’m not quite ready to say Reese is behind the times simply because she hasn’t yet replaced the incredible talent she had in her first ten or so years on the job. I will say one thing. There is ZERO chance she has forgotten how to coach. She and her staff are the best, or darn close to the best, in the business. And still are.

The one area where I think you are being too harsh is when you say no “other school has had as many supposedly Top 50 recruits who have not panned out.” Not so sure of that. Off the top of my head, I can think of a good number of top recruits at other top schools who haven’t panned out. No, I won’t name names. I’d want to see someone analyze that in detail before seeing if I agree. Actually, I wouldn’t. No real point in such an exercise.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:54 pm
The one area where I think you are being too harsh is when you say no “other school has had as many supposedly Top 50 recruits who have not panned out.” Not so sure of that. Off the top of my head, I can think of a good number of top recruits at other top schools who haven’t panned out. No, I won’t name names. I’d want to see someone analyze that in detail before seeing if I agree. Actually, I wouldn’t. No real point in such an exercise.
I can think of one, Duke
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

@inthe8m wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:38 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:45 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:19 pm Was today a reality check for MD or just a very off day? It's been said on this site that if you contain a few key players, MD is no longer an exceptional team. I did not watch the second half but it appears that point was proven today. As far as JMU is concerned, much like Stony Brook they seem to get the most out of their talent each year.
This is a bit to unpack, but let's get started :

Reality Check or Off Day??...maybe a little of both. Maryland is better than they have been the last couple of years, but maybe not as strong as before. However, Cathy, Lauri and Caitlyn have been together for a while so they will continue to strive to return to the top. If you know Cathy Reese, then you know that she is not satisfied with just being in the top ten.

JMU played well and deserved to win. Understand that from the point that the Terps led 6-5, JMU rolled off 5 unanswered goals. From 7:45 in the 2nd to 17 secs left in the 3rd quarter, Maryland did not score. That's some impressive Lacrosse, offensively and defensively, from the Dukes. Well done and Kudos to them.

The comparison between JMU and Stony Brook is hazy. JMU has one thing that SB does not yet have...A National Championship. Stony Brook has been a constant among the best programs in D1, since they hit the National scene in 2012 and they haven't looked back. The Seawolves getting to the Final Four is the next step towards their ultimate goal, the National Championship.
Shelley Klaes does a terrific job with her diverse talent(7 different states) and Joe Spallina does great with the treasure trove of talent that is Long Island, NY.
I believe it is 8 states for JMU - PA, VA, NY, NJ, MD, MN, GA, MA. But, the point remains the same.

MD's biggest issue is that Reese is behind the times on recruiting (she is not the only coach behind the times) - there is talent to be had throughout the nation and she has stuck to the outdated model of recruiting kids from NY, MD, NJ, and PA. Nearly every girl who commits to MD gets put on the Top 100 list just because they commit to MD. I am not sure any other school has had as many supposedly Top 50 recruits who have not panned out. It is not an accident that MD's best player is a transfer.

I am going to disagree with you on your point. Cathy Reese is NOT behind the times on recruiting at all. There is NOTHING outdated about how she recruits. Let's do a little history lesson : When Cindy Timchal was coaching at MD, the team's best players were from NY, New England and Australia. There were really good Maryland players(Cathy was one of them) and they won...BIG! When Cathy became the HC, she decided to change the recruiting model and it made sense. The best HS talent consistently comes from Long Island, Upstate New York and Maryland. She made a conscious effort to go after Maryland's Best players and try to keep them at home. Makes sense, right? And it worked!
Joe Spallina has pretty much done the same thing at Stony Brook that he was doing at Adelphi. He knew better than anyone what the level of talent is on Long Island. He wanted to(and still does) keep some of the best players home. He has taken players from other places, but they have to fit the style of play of SBU. There is nothing antiquated about it.

A lot of coaches recruit from various places because they have to. They can't get the better players, in their various states, to stay at home, so they seek help from outside. Having a regionally diverse roster is cool, if they can play. If not, have scholarship money will travel. And keep in mind that the Transfer Portal, and the COVID year, has affected the recruiting process and will continue to do so for two more years. Recruiting is never easy outside of the top 5 and sometimes top 10. Denver University is in the top 10 and Liza Kelly is one of the best HCs in D1. However, she still needs to get maybe 3 top flight players to be a real threat to win the NC. She has tried to get that caliber of athlete to come to Denver, but it hasn't happened yet. So Liza never complains or whines about "who she didn't get", she simply continues to coach her players, and her teams are consistently among the best in the game.

Recruiting can be a science or it can be just luck. No matter what it does or doesn't produce, coaches still have to grow their teams and get everything they can from the players. I have the utmost respect for what Shelley Klaes did in 2018 because she won with a total team effort and NO ONE from JMU was selected as an ALL-AMERICAN.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:40 pm Maryland has had a very successful start to this season but seems to get no respect. Granted they will not play their usual high powered schedule dropping UNC and Syracuse plus Penn and JMU are not where they thought they would be. They have apparently been very successful in transitioning their transfers to give them needed experience. Cordingley at her current pace is looking like a Tewie finalist and the addition of Bosco has given needed strength to their defense. They have demonstrated they have multiple scoring acumen with Leubecker, Smith, May and Griffin plus Clevenger being strong in finding the scorers. Even goaltending seems to be steady at this point. What does everyone see that I'm missing?
Y’know Maryland—I just want to commend you for creating this thread and putting your true feelings and opinions out there. I don’t agree with everything you said, but I sure admire you for having the guts to put it out there on a public forum. We need more people like you who will post their own unvetted opinions, if you will, come what may. It’s so easy to sit in the peanut gallery instead of getting out on stage. I salute you.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Thanks ONW, you do the same everyday as well!
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 pm I have the utmost respect for what Shelley Klaes did in 2018 because she won with a total team effort and NO ONE from JMU was selected as an ALL-AMERICAN.

To be clear about the above, JMU had no All-American's because Klaes didn't submit the requisite paperwork... Too busy coaching them up to win a national championship.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hsllax wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:10 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 pm I have the utmost respect for what Shelley Klaes did in 2018 because she won with a total team effort and NO ONE from JMU was selected as an ALL-AMERICAN.

To be clear about the above, JMU had no All-American's because Klaes didn't submit the requisite paperwork... Too busy coaching them up to win a national championship.

I remember that very well. That reasoning was absolutely asinine! They could have added the players on later. The same thing happened with NU a number of years ago. NU won the National Title and they had no AA at one point. The reason given for the omission was "Kelly did not get her paperwork in on time". It was bogus then and it was bogus with JMU. The difference was that 3 NU players were added to the AA list about a month later.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

UNC lax has officially surpassed Maryland lax in social media following across all platforms. BC is quickly gaining ground on Maryland for the number 2 spot. I hate to say it but there is a cultural shift in women's lax, on and off the field. UNC and BC are the "cool" schools right now. It's showing on the field and on the recruiting trail. Kids are choosing UNC and BC lax camps over Maryland. Maryland needs to get it together and fast. They have a window next year, with BC and UNC losing alot of their best players to rise back up to prominence. I'm sorry but right now they are 4th best program behind UNC, BC, Cuse, and NW. UNC has NINE 5 star players coming in the next 2 years. Maryland has a great 2022 class and they have to hit on it or we could be looking at a long few years.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

The reasons why kids and families select a school are personal and not up for discussion by third parties. There are many, many factors that folks weigh and prioritize. One of those is absolutely the "cool" factor of the school. I would add Duke and Stanford to the list of programs benefitting from this kind of momentum right now.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cordingley was all fired up tonight. Sure beats being at Homewood. She made the right choice transferring to Maryland. She’s not a big enough player to change the course of the Blue Jays this year, but she’s a great addition to the Terps. She’s made them better, and probably having the time of her career.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcT1viJMohL ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Swipe to see the video clip.
OuttaNowhereWregget

At this point, I think Maryland beats Northwestern in a week and a half. Without Scane, does NU have a decided edge in talent? No way. And I think Reese is a better coach. She’ll gameplan better. Terps will be more prepared. I’m no Maryland fan so I hope I’m wrong but I think the Terps prevail a week from Saturday.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Maryland needs to beat Ohio State before Northwestern. I do think they will open some eyes the rest of the way.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:58 pm Maryland needs to beat Ohio State before Northwestern. I do think they will open some eyes the rest of the way.
Ohio State will be a walk in the park. "A mere bag o' shells" as Ralph Kramden once said. The only team that may give them a hard time the rest of the regular season and Big 10 conference tourney is NU.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Maryland will need to be disciplined in all aspects of the game to beat NU ... if they allow the pace to turn into a track meet, NU will have the advantage.

Based on the game last night, NU will probably go with zone D. Defense is their Achilles heel, and this is the time of year it really hurts them. To win, they will need to limit UMD shots to under 30 ... Doucette is just too inconsistent

Looking forward to this match-up, for sure.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The fear of another Lacrosse Royalty championship is palpable.

The flag trimmed whites are hungry for a 16th which will distance them from the pack for at least 75 years
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 am The fear of another Lacrosse Royalty championship is palpable.

The flag trimmed whites are hungry for a 16th which will distance them from the pack for at least 75 years
Keep trolling bud, doubt you even last the weekend this time around. How about one solitary post that isn't trolling. Jesus.

Joe
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 am The fear of another Lacrosse Royalty championship is palpable.

Keep trolling bud, doubt you even last the weekend this time around. How about one solitary post that isn't trolling. Jesus.

Joe
Bragging about your team is trolling?

UMD lacrosse royalty facts and hopes are so impressive as to be offensive?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”