Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by oldbartman »

Cornell just picked up a CNY '23 blue chip, Luke Gilmartin, out of Westhill. He may not get the IL praise, but is better than most realize.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:45 pm Cornell just picked up a CNY '23 blue chip, Luke Gilmartin, out of Westhill. He may not get the IL praise, but is better than most realize.
I had been following that kid he’s solid. And you may flip a kid named Hardy from Jax as well
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Even Brown :roll: :roll: :roll:
goal2goal wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:09 am not only are we getting dusted by HYP, even Brown has more recruits and "higher ranked" ones.
Looks like Cornell's 2022 class is pretty huge and full of talent, maybe fewer spots to go around this year, or kids don't want to commit when a "5 star" is ahead of them a year. As most have said, I wouldn't put too much faith in these media rankings of 17 year olds. Rising tide lifts all boats, great to see Ivies taking the lions share of the Fall commitments.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:50 pm
oldbartman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:45 pm Cornell just picked up a CNY '23 blue chip, Luke Gilmartin, out of Westhill. He may not get the IL praise, but is better than most realize.
I had been following that kid he’s solid. And you may flip a kid named Hardy from Jax as well
The 23 defenseman from Fayetteville Manlius, LaComb, is excellent (no stars).
another fan

Post by another fan »

RopeUnit wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:34 pm Even Brown :roll: :roll: :roll:
goal2goal wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:09 am not only are we getting dusted by HYP, even Brown has more recruits and "higher ranked" ones.
Looks like Cornell's 2022 class is pretty huge and full of talent, maybe fewer spots to go around this year, or kids don't want to commit when a "5 star" is ahead of them a year. As most have said, I wouldn't put too much faith in these media rankings of 17 year olds. Rising tide lifts all boats, great to see Ivies taking the lions share of the Fall commitments.
So much for the demise of Ivy recruiting, predicted by some posters. The better open issue is the impact on Ivy teams of not playing last year. My view is that there may be some slower starts (which is often an issue in normal years anyway), but there will be 2 or 3 top teams coming out of the league by year end.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Does anybody know what time the fall ball game vs Maryland at Delbarton starts on 10/10?
rmredlax

Post by rmredlax »

2 pm
another fan

Post by another fan »

Email from coach Buczek indicates start time at Delbarton has been pushed back to 3pm
rmredlax

Post by rmredlax »

New info: Scrimmage moved back to 3 pm and technically open only to alums and families
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Kason Tarbell '19 is on the Iroquois Nationals roster for the World Lacrosse Super Sixes event scheduled for October 23rd and 24th in Sparks, MD.

Pete Milliman, as previously announced, is the Head Coach.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hey CU77, time for a trip to Atlanta?

https://www.axs.com/events/413141/henry ... vSwiipshyg
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I attended the scrimmage earlier today. It was played in a slight drizzle + some fog. The Big Red has just enough high quality experienced players to excel, because on whole, it is a very young team. My bottom line for the day is that the scrimmage was extremely valuable for the team; it was the first real competition for many of the now-front line players, and the first game for everyone without special players like Teat, Salvatore, Donville, and Fletcher.
The game started very much like the scrimmage vs. MD at St. Anthony's two years ago. Lost the first few faceoffs and quickly went down 3-0. Petrakis then got his rhythm and dominated at the x; Cornell caught up and the teams traded goals going into half at 8-8. Cornell dominated most of the third quarter and went up 13-9. Late in the 3rd, Buczek began substituting (very) liberally and MD then dominated making it 14-13 after 4. A 5th quarter was played for guys who had not previously been on the field.
This team will get better and better and if key players stay healthy, they should have what I'll call a very "successful" season.
The attack starters were Piatelli, Long, and Kirst. First game experience for Kirst. I was impressed. While Piatelli is the go-to guy, MD made him really work for everything.
1st mids were Licciardi, Lombardi, and Coyle. A very nice, very cohesive group. No big shooters and while Licciardi drew a second defender most of the time, he is not the threat that Fletcher or Telesco were shooting off of the dodge; mostly reversed the ball getting the defense rotating.
2nd mids - Blake, Kelleher, and Wolf. Not coincidentally, Kelleher wears #27. Looks and plays like Fletcher. Fun to watch. He took several shifts with the 1st line. He will grow into a dominant player.
Doria did not play at close. Ian Jacobs started. The good news. Jack Follows is as advertised. I was very impressed - high IQ, quick feel, aggressive. He does notlook or play like a first year player.
Bartolotto and Baccafola are very strong at LSM.
SS - ???: Bardwell seemingling never comes off the field. He has to stay healthy. Stevens' rotated several others who in effect, have had no game experience. They all work hard but will remain a work in progress.
FOGO - Petrakis was very strong after settling in. However, Marc Psyllos had a great day backing him up. He looked ready to compete as a D1 player in his year 1.
Ierlan - Cornell is lucky to have him!
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Nice summary, thanks. Sounds like there is reason for optimism. Very glad to hear about our success at the X, and not surprised by Psyllos.

I assume Maryland also substituted liberally at some point. And since they don't scrimmage with their game uniform numbers, it will be interesting to hear from Maryland fans how long their starters played. Long wait now till the season.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks for the summary, VRR! Great to hear.
another fan

Post by another fan »

For those following or concerned about the 2023 recruiting, Ty Xanders has announced that IL's 15th ranked and 5* recruit, AJ Nikolic, has committed to Cornell-- midfielder from Malvern Prep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILppcm4hWw&t=18s
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

another fan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:03 pm For those following or concerned about the 2023 recruiting, Ty Xanders has announced that IL's 15th ranked and 5* recruit, AJ Nikolic, has committed to Cornell-- midfielder from Malvern Prep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILppcm4hWw&t=18s
His parents are Cornell grads, with his father Alex being a solid player for the Cornell hockey team in the early ‘90s.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Cornell and Maryland held their one fall ball scrimmage this past Sunday at the Delbarton School in Morristown NJ. And while the weather was rainy at times - most of the real precipitation was over by gametime and the weather was not factor. Decent crowd considering weather. Very intimate setting. Crowd was very close to field. Pretty cool. Building on the observations of VRR and others, here are my key takeaways (through only the first three quarters)!!

[*] An overall excellent showing by a young Cornell team. Despite having not played against a different color jersey since March 2020 - the team looked sharp and competitive. After three full quarters - where each team played starters or expected regular "contributors" - Cornell held a 13-11 lead. After being tied 8-8 at half - Cornell played a very impressive third quarter (winning 5-3). Several young players made huge contributions - chiefly Kelleher and Kirst (see below) - and so the future indeed looks bright. We all should be careful not to make too many proclamations after a fall ball scrimmage - but at the very least Cornell will likely be competitive against nearly all competition in the spring of 2021.

[*] My box score on offense showed: Kelleher (4G,1A); Kirst (4G), Long (1G,3A), Piatelli (2G,1A), Wolf (1G), Lombardi (1G), Coyle (1A). The attack of Piatelli, Long and Kirst will drive this team for sure. All 3 are serious threats to score at all times and are excellent feeders. This is a very strong group. The ball movement by all 6 offensive players was crisp and fluid - the ball was quickly swung to the weak side after rotation by the D - resulting in numerous good looks. Dodging was strong - effective and purposeful, with heads on swivels - that forced Def slides. Unselfish, Cornell lacrosse personified. Some individual observations: Piatelli took only what was appropriate - he dodges hard but does not get stuck. Had one strong goal where he beat his man off the wing and scored as he was shoved to the ground, then another purely off ball on the crease, then another feed where he drew two defenders and easily dumped to the open man. Very very effective. Long also excellent. The offense works best when he gets a touch - and he should on every possession. A true X man - he looks to dish first and can find open players on the crease or backside with laser accuracy. His one goal was a pure strong take from X off of a pick where he got top side and scored lefty. Just a beast of a play. And finally Kirst!! Wow. Scored in all different fashions - step down lefty overhand, roll dodge shot off side hip, a quick low to high rip in the low post and one off of a riding turnover he created, then scooped and scored as he got wiped out by a MD defender!! He is big, moves well and as noted - plays really well with Long and JP. So fun to see. He can be a real force. The attack rides well also.

[*] The mids were not called on to do much in this one (exception: Kelleher). Our first group of Licciardi, Coyle and Lombardi were smart, moved the ball well and created many opportunities. JJ had very nice alley dodge goal after absorbing a strong check. He is powerful and quick. Coyle is a very effective dodger and made some nice passes in this one. He can score if needed and should do plenty of goal scoring in future games. Licciardi is the primary dodger from up top and is very quick. Always gets a step and forces rotation. Not an effective shooter in this game however. Offense is best when he initiates and moves the rock. This is a good first group and can take us far if other elements are there. Wolf and Blake ran with second line. Both looked good. Wolf had nice goal on crease from Kelleher feed. Blake is tall and fast and looks like he is ready to take the next step. He just needs to do it. Both can be effective.

Now for Kelleher: I could write volumes on his performance in this one. He was a force. Wore #27 and looked like Fletcher reincarnate. He is a big and fast downhill dodger. Absorbs checks and keeps going. Like Kirst, he scored in all different manners. One was a very physical inside dodge where he got whacked several times on the crease but just kept going and scored high to low. Had backside cranks and quick stick goals. One time on top side dodge he drew slides and fed Wolf on crease for score. Big time pass for young player. Looked to also be on man up team. Overall it was just an amazing debut against a high quality opponent. He continually wowed the crowd in big ways and small. He looks to be a player to build around for years.

[*] Defense got better as the game went along. The good news is that Cor was not overmatched physically in any way. MD is a very skilled offensive team. They got some easy goals from pure great ball movement. Just a veteran group that can torch you in many ways. But there were not many easy bull dodges or one v one goals. Adler is a beast. Small but strong and by far our top guy. Follows started at close with Adler and along with Ian Jacobs. But there was plenty of subbing here with Doria, etc. Follows can play anywhere and will be a fixture at close for years. This is still a group that has to figure out the proper combinations - but there should be 5-6 players that can contribute in various ways.

[*] LSM/SSDM - Joe Barts and Boccafola are the leaders here. Barts was menacing (incl one penalty on a face off that involved a high hit). He is the undisputed leader. Boccafola is big but fast and effective off the ground. Had some nice GBs. At SSDM, Bardwell logs a ton of minutes. As always, he was sneaky good. Some young guys will get minutes here: Cook, Smith, Davis, Bozzi. All can contribute.

[*] F/O - I didn't count - but it looked like about 50/50 on the day. MD got off to fast start - several fast breaks early. COR guys then settled in. Petrakis got nearly all of the early draws. Did ok when he clamped. Lost several when MD FOGO pushed forward. A few clamps won very cleanly. He has transitioned well to new rules. The pleasant surprise is Psyllos. He was our #2 and did very well. Scrappy, good on GBs and pretty athletic. He can be a very good option here.

[*] Goal - Chayse was good in general. Several early MD goals were beauties after slick ball movement. He had no chance. Later made several good saves, including one on his fanny where he stuck his stick up and snagged a certain goal. He will be a strength for us on regular basis this year. No concerns at all here in my view. College offenses are so damn good now - hard for goalies to look good sometimes.

That's it. Again - plenty to be excited about. Team will surely improve in spring after more games. Strong veteran players complemented by young (hopefully) budding stars. GBR!

VF
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks for the update, VF! Great commentary and good to hear.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I see that Yale's new Joe Tsai-funded field house is now complete. Pictures of the exterior look great.
Faircornell - any word on the status of Cornell's (Covid-delayed) indoor facility?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”