Semifinal 2 -- Syracuse v. Northwestern

D1 Womens Lacrosse
tothedraw

Re: Semifinal 2 -- Syracuse v. Northwestern

Post by tothedraw »

Sydney Pirecca (Florida) assistant coach.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

tothedraw wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:30 pm Sydney Pirecca (Florida) assistant coach.
thanks - i may be mixing this but didn't he have a daughter that played at syracuse?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, Taylor.
totc

Post by totc »

8meterPA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:33 pm
tothedraw wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:30 pm Sydney Pirecca (Florida) assistant coach.
thanks - i may be mixing this but didn't he have a daughter that played at syracuse?
Taylor Gait is now assistant coach at San Diego State.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

totc wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:36 pm
Taylor Gait is now assistant coach at San Diego State.
thank you! thought I read she was a coach somewhere
totc

Post by totc »

njbill wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:22 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:19 pm NU just can't help themselves with their dirty play. Completely outclassed & outcoached today.
8 cards is ridiculous. They should use the high school rule where after the fourth one the team has to play a man down for the rest of the game. Eight cards. Play four men down.
I do not remember as many as eight yellow cards on one team in an NCAA Tournament game. I'm sure it happened in the wooden-stick era when there wasn't a team penalty for having too many yellows, but I don't remember. I seem to remember maybe five or six in a Virginia vs. Maryland game when both teams were in the ACC.
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:12 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:09 pm SYR needs to get to 17 goals...haven't scored in forever
Needed that one. Jesus. I'm sweating.

OK. 17.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldn't watch it, just finding out the result.
Will sure watch it now though. :D
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Feels like Syracuse won DC's by 5 or 6, pretty surprised given how NU typically dominates the draw. The box score on the NCAA site are pretty bad in terms of content so don't know exact DC count.

Tyrell sisters had a combined 8 goals
Gilbert only 1 goal for NU
Izzy 4 goals 3 assists
NU goalie - 8 saves and 21 goals against - ouch.
As mentioned earlier 8 yellow cards for NU and I'm guessing 30/35 fouls
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:49 pm Feels like Syracuse won DC's by 5 or 6, pretty surprised given how NU typically dominates the draw. The box score on the NCAA site are pretty bad in terms of content so don't know exact DC count.

Tyrell sisters had a combined 8 goals
Gilbert only 1 goal for NU
Izzy 4 goals 3 assists
NU goalie - 8 saves and 21 goals against - ouch.
As mentioned earlier 8 yellow cards for NU and I'm guessing 30/35 fouls
Agreed, Thought the orange did a nice job an the circle. Will be interesting to see how it goes In the next go around.

SU offense looked poised and confident. NW looked confused attacking the zone.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

i was impressed with SU's #44, Emma Ward. Freshman. I thought she was the best player on the field. Also, enjoyed the SU bench. good spirit.

i was not impressed with NU's goalie. why was she joining the D and riding during SU's clears? She gave up 2 empty net goals early on. Why?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:10 pm i was impressed with SU's #44, Emma Ward. Freshman. I thought she was the best player on the field. Also, enjoyed the SU bench. good spirit.

i was not impressed with NU's goalie. why was she joining the D and riding during SU's clears? She gave up 2 empty net goals early on. Why?
Syracuse got a lot from freshmen today. In addition to Ward’s 3 or 4, two from Markey and one from Baxter. Clan Tyrell kind of killed it too.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:44 pmSyracuse got a lot from freshmen today. In addition to Ward’s 3 or 4, two from Markey and one from Baxter. Clan Tyrell kind of killed it too.
And Ward's assists. Even assists where the shooter didn't score. She did a lot for the O...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Syracuse fans be like...

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac

Post by DMac »

Never knew that Ward asked for #44, sure gotta say she's representing that number well on a lacrosse field. She's escalated from being a very good player who stepped up big very early to being a QB, Carney like. It's good to get the ball in her stick. Her confidence and feeling of belonging has skyrocketed too. This whole team is just impressive. This is the first I've seen Northwestern play, thought they were going to be a much tougher opponent for Cuse but Cuse handled them rather handily. Just can't say enough about this group and how well they play together.
Weather didn't turn out to be as bad as predicted...nice.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Simply put...the worst game I have seen NU play since their 2019 Final Four loss to Maryland. 3 Empty net goals, 3 2-man down situations, 8 Yellow cards, a plethora of bad passes and bad turnovers. And the goaltending was sub-par.

Syracuse played very well and I love the consistency of Kerry Defliese, underrated but delivers on the regular. Emma Ward, Jenny Markey, Emma and Meghan Tyrrell and Sam Swart all played very well.

Syracuse earned the win and they deserved it.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:30 pm waiting for cletus to post his reggie miller choke video...
The video is appropriate—true. Both Carolina and Northwestern threw up on themselves yesterday. Both teams were supposed to do more. Both weren’t prepared.

Yep—that Wildcat no show was pretty bad. The whole team never knew what hit them, including the entire coaching staff. The Wildcats were completely unprepared for Gait’s game plan and the way his team executed and kept their composure. The purple team was Pathetic. All the toughness questions about Northwestern were proved correct. They were exposed as soft in the face of a much more battle tested Syracuse squad.
njbill

Post by njbill »

So where would Northwestern have ended up if it had played in the ACC this year? I say no better than third, and maybe not even that high.

If they played two games each against the top four teams in the ACC, I could see them going anywhere from 5-3 to 3-5, but probably no better than that.

But this doesn’t take into account that the team might have improved over the course of the season had it played tougher competition. Not sure how to calculate that.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

DMac wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:40 pm Never knew that Ward asked for #44, sure gotta say she's representing that number well on a lacrosse field. She's escalated from being a very good player who stepped up big very early to being a QB, Carney like. It's good to get the ball in her stick. Her confidence and feeling of belonging has skyrocketed too. This whole team is just impressive. This is the first I've seen Northwestern play, thought they were going to be a much tougher opponent for Cuse but Cuse handled them rather handily. Just can't say enough about this group and how well they play together.
Weather didn't turn out to be as bad as predicted...nice.
That was a neat story about why she chose #44 and to know that history at that age is special. I have not heard a Floyd Little reference in many years and certainly brought back memories. I've become such a big Ward fan this year - the way she has stepped up to play with complete composure and without fear is amazing.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Lake No Show...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:19 pm Is it just me, or, does KAH always look confused when losing big?
She needed more from the NWU Yelling Coach!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”