Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by houndace1 »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:33 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:11 pm Without our beloved Jays not in the field, who's everyone rooting for in the tourney? Hard choice given how many historic rivals we have. I'm leaning ND - Pat Kavanaugh is just such a joy to watch - but am pretty ambivalent.
MD and RU are good for our relative standing, but how about Loyola?
- Charles Street
- Peaking
- The False Positive COVID result.
Toomey seems like a great guy, but can you really root for your little brother?
just a little fun here but the little brother has beaten the older brother 6 times in the last 7 gamess (all kidding, Hopkins will always be the gold standard in my eyes).

But why not root for your Charles Street neighbor? If Loyola beats Denver, they can play Duke, and with a miracle if they beat Duke, they can exorcise that Devil's thorn thats been sticking in the Blue Jays' side in their recent NCAA appearances. And then if they make the quarters and match up with MD and somehow win that... its like rooting for the lesser of two evils
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:45 pm just a little fun here but the little brother has beaten the older brother 6 times in the last 7 gamess (all kidding, Hopkins will always be the gold standard in my eyes).

But why not root for your Charles Street neighbor? If Loyola beats Denver, they can play Duke, and with a miracle if they beat Duke, they can exorcise that Devil's thorn thats been sticking in the Blue Jays' side in their recent NCAA appearances. And then if they make the quarters and match up with MD and somehow win that... its like rooting for the lesser of two evils
Sometimes little brother gets older and bigger and returns the favor after so many years of getting beat on. But he'll always be little brother.

I'll be rooting for Loyola against Denver, aka Yale West. I'm glad those kids got to play this year (Morrill, Ierlan, etc.) but can't really root for the team that benefited from them parachuting in. Loyola, meanwhile, is working with largely the same roster as last year.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:36 pm Any thoughts on the biggest offensive *need*? Between Degnon, Peshko, and Grimes, I'm not so worried about stretch shooting as I was a few months ago but I suppose you could always use more. A big downhill dodger could help, even though that's not really the type of offense we run anymore. Maybe a crease guy—Peshko has shown some chops there but then you lose him as an iso wing dodger/shooter if he's hanging out primarily on the crease.
I agree - I was harping on outside shooting and if Peshko develops and Grimes stays healthy that would seem to now be at least an area of lesser need if not completely OK. I think to answer your questions intelligently you have to know a couple things at least I don't know:
- Will Grimes replace Williams?
- Will DeSimone return?
- If he chose not to return - can't imagine Hopkins wouldn't want him aside from $ - what is the composition of the attack in terms of the X position?
- What about Bauer? If you like your rankings he's had some (#83 ranked freshman) and I guess he retains 4 years of eligibility
- I guess right now if I had to nominate something - it would be some kind of finisher - the Junior offense appears to me to like someone on the inside that can take feeds in traffic catch it and put the biscuit in the basket
- In term of freshmen - and this is based only on highlight videos which I don't endorse - I like the cut of Charboneau's jib - taller lanky - appears to be clever around the goal
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think the biggest offensive need is a guy who's an elite passer. Don't think we need much more in terms of goal scoring. Doesn't have to be your typical X attackman - I think I would actually prefer someone who works best from up top. A guy who can find a lot of skips and who can get the ball cleanly to the crease. Not exactly sure who the prototype is - Jeff Teat would certainly work - maybe the senior year version of Conor Kelly? Not even sure this guy needs to be a great dodger, but that might help open the lanes up more. Basically, a guy who get 2X assists vs. goals. If they could find a 50 assist kind of guy, we'd be cooking with gas.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:37 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:11 pm Without our beloved Jays not in the field, who's everyone rooting for in the tourney? Hard choice given how many historic rivals we have. I'm leaning ND - Pat Kavanaugh is just such a joy to watch - but am pretty ambivalent.
Who I am rooting for in order
-imminent news that we're in on major transfers or elite Decomitted recruits
-anyone playing terps, cuse, duke, notre dame in that order
-one bid unseeded conference champions
-rutgers
-loyola

I picked rutgers in the poll, Good for the conference and a long suffering fan base to go on a cindarella run.
If Rutgers went on a run, it would make us look very good. I fear that they won't, however. If they manage to get by Lehigh, then they get UNC in round 2. The tallest of orders.

I'm conflicted—I kind of want Maryland/Rutgers to do well to represent the conference but I also...don't like them. A true conundrum.

As always, anyone but Syracuse.
+1
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:30 pm
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I'm rooting for both Rutgers and Maryland to make the Final Four, and Maryland to win it. The ACC fanboys, including Quint, have reached a toxic level of sychophancy, largely at the expense of the Big Ten. I would like to shut them up and not have to hear year-after-year about BigTen inferiority. Maryland has the best chance to do that.
If we ever meet, remind me to buy you a beer.

Top notch post, that was.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-51 has mentioned a few times about the roster size for next year. According to foy, who published something last week that had us playing delaware in the big ten tournament- so take this with a grain of salt, denver is at 68 for this season. The visual this weekend of 28 guys in warmups standing together in the corner is going to be special. Need to tune in for that.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tcry/57899
-duke not having a doctor on the sideline doesn't seem smart.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Agreed. You can't cheer for SU, UMd, et al. And cheering for a conference team is like cheering for laundry drying. Who cares what conference you are in. If you aren't the team winning the NC in the conference it doesn't matter in the least.
maroonandblack

Post by maroonandblack »

Speaking of DIII my mother took these photos in Chestertown in ‘84 when my brother was a freshman goalie at WC. The final was 8-4 I believe, a lot closer than usual. The Shoremen were stacked that year - Ricky Sowell, John Nostrant, Kevin Giblin, Steve Beville and Greg Baker in goal.
Attachments
56F84D1F-53E8-4C43-8E59-79D9535C823D.jpeg
56F84D1F-53E8-4C43-8E59-79D9535C823D.jpeg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
C0D79B50-9B74-4AA8-86E0-B75877AD0FBC.jpeg
C0D79B50-9B74-4AA8-86E0-B75877AD0FBC.jpeg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

maroonandblack wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm Speaking of DIII my mother took these photos in Chestertown in ‘84 when my brother was a freshman goalie at WC. The final was 8-4 I believe, a lot closer than usual. The Shoremen were stacked that year - Ricky Sowell, John Nostrant, Kevin Giblin, Steve Beville and Greg Baker in goal.
That was a seriously good Washington College team!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

maroonandblack wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm Speaking of DIII my mother took these photos in Chestertown in ‘84 when my brother was a freshman goalie at WC. The final was 8-4 I believe, a lot closer than usual. The Shoremen were stacked that year - Ricky Sowell, John Nostrant, Kevin Giblin, Steve Beville and Greg Baker in goal.
Great stuff. Thanks for posting! I miss those games vs WC.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

#4 Del Dressel - the tremendous midfielder

#32 John J. Krumenacker - that late great player
Attachments
8833A55E-A829-4E91-80A1-3781E1DD534F.jpeg
8833A55E-A829-4E91-80A1-3781E1DD534F.jpeg (121.67 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
3B607AC2-4828-4054-BC37-EDA38645F7FD.jpeg
3B607AC2-4828-4054-BC37-EDA38645F7FD.jpeg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Didn't Krumenacker end up playing bass for Camper van Beethoven? Oh, sorry, that was Victor Krummenacher. My bad. Guessing there aren't too many CvB fans on this board, but it was worth a try.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 am
In all sincerity, please do tell your daughter to run away from any man the first time he shows signs of violent tendencies or who is treating her poorly. I think most of us know the likelihood of that changing is slim while the probability of it escalating to the kind of relationship we're seeing here is more than likely. It's absolutely awful.
JFTR, I agree that Scanlan is a DB and I have felt that way long before this incident. Have seen him on a couple of occasions and was left with the impression that he's a smart asz little punk who lacks maturity and character. I'm not at all surprised that his teammates walked away from him and good on them for that. I hope he gets his due and can see what kind of damage he's done not only to himself and his "girlfriend" but to a whole lot of other people as well. That said there are still two sides to this story and neither one of them conducted themselves the way any of us would hope our children would conduct themselves...male or female.
I forward the story to my daughter for her to read. After she read it, I talked with her about it. Her response was "that guy is a loser but the girl isn't acting very smart either." That leads me to believe she has at least somewhat of a good head on her shoulder. It is likely from her mother though her mother did marry me so...

But, she also hasn't gone through that first love or love of her live stage where you might do some crazy things...with "crazy things" being very relative between cutting up pictures of the ex (or I guess deleting photos on cell phones now) to doing much more harmful actions.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-I'm not an insider but never understood the pre corona thing where the program had one lacrosse alumni weekend in the fall, one at a home game in the spring and then one on homecoming where they honored the title teams celebrating reunion. For next year, always thought duke hoops did a cool thing where they announced every home game which alumni were there. Showed recruits all the legends there to support the current kids.
-How many of the teams playing this weekend would we have beaten?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Bubier was probably the #9 in the second picture - maybe? If so 3 great players.
Kru obviously went way too early - very sad - that picture is a rare one in term sof his leg not being wrapped up like a mummy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

There’s a great team photo of the ‘84 title team
out there somewhere.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 am -How many of the teams playing this weekend would we have beaten?
maybe rutgers?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Two great players.

Dr. Del Dressel ... one play I will always remember was a very simple one ... an opposing player had checked the ball out of his stick, but before it could go anywhere, Dressel nabbed it out of midair like nothing had happened. Incredible stick skills.

As for the late John Krumenacker, I seem to recall that an opposing player wound up big for a shot and then ... nothing ... no one knew where the shot had gone. Then Krumenacker started pointing to his helmet, and suddenly everyone realized it had become lodged in his face mask. The ref pulled it out and resumed play. Important point being ... Krumenacker played pretty aggressive defense and didn’t give an inch on that shot.

Those guys won a couple of national championships together, when Hopkins lacrosse was still ... well ... HOPKINS LACROSSE.

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 am -How many of the teams playing this weekend would we have beaten?
maybe rutgers?
we would've gotten someone like georgetown or lehigh. zeisselburger narewksi would've been a nice fight.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”